login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Body Painting Compatition Theme Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


Ok so I'm throw a huge event In march, it's called Motorcyle and Makeup Madness.

It will consist of Motorcyle contest and show, and makeup contests, there will also be

bands and tattoo artists. One of the makeup contests is bodypainting and I was

thinking of doing the theme scenic routes around the world ex: alaska, that had to

include a road and a motorcycle on the road, but I'm thinking that not many people

would be as inspired as I am. Please help,I'm trying to do something that will go

with the motorcycle side of the event, but I just DON'T want clothes its to boring

and expected. The other makeup competitions are best biker chick look which will be

done on the biker club lady members, and best past or present music artist

impersonation which will use models aswell as the body painting. Each first place

winner will receive $200 cash prize and 2nd will receive goody bags full of makeup

products. Winning models will receive free 2 hour photoshoot with their choice of

place location and ideas.
Jan 08 13 08:03 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


Help
Jan 09 13 01:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,972
Corona, California, US


I've done my fare share of biker events.

You may consider clothing to be boring & expected, but anything that is well executed will shine regardless of category.

If you choose to incorporate a motorcycle in your paint - you MUST be accurate in the execution. You can simplify a motorcycle, but the parts have to be accurate. You do NOT want to distract judges by them getting hung up with "the wheel doesn't attach like that...."

SKETCH your concept - especially the scenic images. Scale and foreshortening will be VERY important - or you'll end up with a body paint that looks like spaghetti from a distance.

Paint for Distance Viewing AND provide little "easter egg" details for up close.

Be prepared for your model's body to throw you a curve ball - volunteer models don't always have, shall we say, ideal bodies.

If you're fairly new to live event body painting, be prepared to have 1/2 the time to paint as you think you do. If you're painting in front of a crowd, your model may be all waves and smiles - making details APITA.
Jan 09 13 01:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Jaime Criel Makeup
Posts: 149
New York, New York, US


What about something with a Route 66 theme?
Jan 09 13 01:57 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
TheMakeupMan
Posts: 3,751
Los Angeles, California, US


I'd like to see someone dissapearebsomeonesbbody on a bike or part of it
Jan 09 13 03:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


Lisa Berczel wrote:
I've done my fare share of biker events.

You may consider clothing to be boring & expected, but anything that is well executed will shine regardless of category.

If you choose to incorporate a motorcycle in your paint - you MUST be accurate in the execution. You can simplify a motorcycle, but the parts have to be accurate. You do NOT want to distract judges by them getting hung up with "the wheel doesn't attach like that...."

SKETCH your concept - especially the scenic images. Scale and foreshortening will be VERY important - or you'll end up with a body paint that looks like spaghetti from a distance.

Paint for Distance Viewing AND provide little "easter egg" details for up close.

Be prepared for your model's body to throw you a curve ball - volunteer models don't always have, shall we say, ideal bodies.

If you're fairly new to live event body painting, be prepared to have 1/2 the time to paint as you think you do. If you're painting in front of a crowd, your model may be all waves and smiles - making details APITA.

Thank you for the advice, I have been following your work for a couple of years now and I love it.
I'm the one hosting/throwing g the entire event so I won't be Competing or a judge for that matter. I'm trying to lock down a theme that will inspire the artists, something that gos with the event but that will play to both realism and abstract artists imagination and capabilities.

I will be showcasing my work for body painting just to represent me and the model will be my personal statue/advertisement for the day, and I really conected with the scenic route theme because I'm a realism artist, however when I was in art school surrealism artists didn't do very well at the realism type assignments but their personal work was phenomenal.

Anyways that's the thoughts I have on the decision making of the body painting contest theme.

Jan 09 13 06:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


TheMakeupMan wrote:
I'd like to see someone dissapearebsomeonesbbody on a bike or part of it

Thank you for you help and response, I have seen that done and its amazing. However there isn't a lot of different outcomes you can get for up to 12 artists and borrowing that many bikes for 7 hrs might be an issue, but that is something  I want try myself one day

Jan 09 13 07:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


Jaime Criel Makeup wrote:
What about something with a Route 66 theme?

That is a great theme and would go with the Motorcyle side of it, but my concern with that would be that there wouldn't be enough choices for the artists to show diversity. Thank you for your help and response

Jan 09 13 07:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,883
Sacramento, California, US


Great USA road trips

(Black Hills of SD, Pacific Coast, Route 66, Chicago to NYC, Beartooth Pass, Gulf Coast, the AlCan, etc.)
Jan 09 13 07:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


BodyPainter Rich wrote:
Great USA road trips

(Black Hills of SD, Pacific Coast, Route 66, Chicago to NYC, Beartooth Pass, Gulf Coast, the AlCan, etc.)

I like that, it kinda the same idea I have but I like ur tittle and keeping it in the USA better

Jan 11 13 12:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Cat Camp
Posts: 841
Tampa, Florida, US


Kati Ann Beauty Design wrote:

I like that, it kinda the same idea I have but I like ur tittle and keeping it in the USA better

You understand this will limit your body painters to bikers only. They're the only ones who'll actually know about the roads mentioned.
I've had people bring me photos (on laptops or cell phones) of emblems for the different trips, but have never had the oportunity to actually do any of those trips in person (more's the pity!).

Jan 11 13 08:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,883
Sacramento, California, US


Actually, I'm not a biker... and I've done them all (and more) except for the AlCan. Doing the Gulf Coast again starting in a few days.
Jan 11 13 08:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


Cat Camp wrote:

You understand this will limit your body painters to bikers only. They're the only ones who'll actually know about the roads mentioned.
I've had people bring me photos (on laptops or cell phones) of emblems for the different trips, but have never had the oportunity to actually do any of those trips in person (more's the pity!).

Actually computers and refferance photos are allowed for the compatition

Jan 12 13 01:01 am  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Sweet Loretta
Posts: 226
Sacramento, California, US


I think Scenic Routes is a fine theme for Body Painters. Is that your actual draw?
Treading lightly here but -
If you are drawing in new, wannabe, like to dabble or even MUA who paint on occasion, then am more open them like just motorcycles might be easier. No offense to any non Body Painters who body paint but some concepts are just harder to pull off in terms of making it really look good interns of flowing with the lines of the body. A more open them allows folks to do more that need not take flow into consideration - like corsets.
Jan 12 13 01:13 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Kati Ann Beauty Design
Posts: 106
Beaumont, Texas, US


PHOYOGRAPHY, BODY PPAINTING, MAKEUP AND STYLING
BY ME FOR
MOTORCYCLE AND MAKEUP MADNESS
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121211/12/50c79bc45a477.jpg
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121127/21/50b59b9914804.jpg
Jan 24 13 08:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Sweet Loretta
Posts: 226
Sacramento, California, US


Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Jan 25 13 10:12 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers