login info join!
Forums > Newbie Forum > "Reverse Scam" Search   Reply
Photographer
Runwayimages
Posts: 3
New York, New York, US


Be careful who you listen to. Freinds and family are hard enough to get to support. Imagine the damage a fellow model and/or photographer could do.
Some will lead you astray and make you think its not worth your time to model or tell you a style may not be for you. They may even sabotage your dreams with negative remarks. When you look for bad. You will find it.

These nay sayers are just as bad as con artist. YES even your boyfriend/girlfriend may get in your way. Some even make things more dramatic than what it really is to keep you away from your dreams.
Jan 09 13 09:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


And sometimes we are disturbed not by things but the view we take on things (paraphrasing some greek philosopher).  I have found the constructive criticism I've received here to be invaluable in developing my skills as a photographer.

Just looked at your port, you have some pretty good shots in there.
Jan 09 13 09:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Awesome Headshots
Posts: 2,369
San Ramon, California, US


"History shows us that the people who end up changing the world the great political, social, scientific, technological, artistic, even sports revolutionaries are always nuts, until they are right, and then they are geniuses.”

-John Eliot
Jan 09 13 09:49 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,098
New York, New York, US


Runwayimages wrote:
Be careful who you listen to. Freinds and family are hard enough to get to support. Imagine the damage a fellow model and/or photographer could do.
Some will lead you astray and make you think its not worth your time to model or tell you a style may not be for you. They may even sabotage your dreams with negative remarks. When you look for bad. You will find it.

These nay sayers are just as bad as con artist. YES even your boyfriend/girlfriend may get in your way. Some even make things more dramatic than what it really is to keep you away from your dreams.

Huh!

It almost sounds as if you are counselling folks to ignore any advice offered by anyone.  For a newbie, that can be disasterous! 

Models generally and especially those who aspire to be fashion models, have a short shelf life.  Most models don't even join MM before they are beyond the prime hiring ages for fashion and most don't have the statistics for fashion work.  If they ignore the advice of those who've been around a while and have learned the ropes they are almost certain to squander the opportunities they have.  While admittedly there are exceptions, it's critical to remember that they are exceptions!  It's fun to dream that you can fly but that's not a good reason to jump off a cliff expecting to.

Much better to consider all advice, determine the qualifications of the advisor, and select advices you will act on based on how experienced and knowledgeable the advisor actually is.

All IMHO, as always.

Jan 10 13 07:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,649
Belmont, California, US


Rays Fine Art wrote:

Huh!

It almost sounds as if you are counselling folks to ignore any advice offered by anyone.  For a newbie, that can be disasterous! 

Models generally and especially those who aspire to be fashion models, have a short shelf life.  Most models don't even join MM before they are beyond the prime hiring ages for fashion and most don't have the statistics for fashion work.  If they ignore the advice of those who've been around a while and have learned the ropes they are almost certain to squander the opportunities they have.  While admittedly there are exceptions, it's critical to remember that they are exceptions!  It's fun to dream that you can fly but that's not a good reason to jump off a cliff expecting to.

Much better to consider all advice, determine the qualifications of the advisor, and select advices you will act on based on how experienced and knowledgeable the advisor actually is.

All IMHO, as always.

+1

Jan 10 13 09:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hanigoshi
Posts: 1,205
Modesto, California, US


I embrace your criticism, I may not agree with it but I embrace it. 

If you're and idiot, I won't give it much weight, but I embrace it and will try to learn from it...

If I sense you're wise, I'll embrace your wisdom and learn from it....

If I sense you're being humorous, I'll smile and learn from it...

If you say nothing, I appreciate your candor and learn from it...

                                     ………….. Bea Kay
Jan 10 13 09:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GCobb Photography
Posts: 15,891
Southaven, Mississippi, US


Runwayimages wrote:
Be careful who you listen to. Freinds and family are hard enough to get to support. Imagine the damage a fellow model and/or photographer could do.
Some will lead you astray and make you think its not worth your time to model or tell you a style may not be for you. They may even sabotage your dreams with negative remarks. When you look for bad. You will find it.

These nay sayers are just as bad as con artist. YES even your boyfriend/girlfriend may get in your way. Some even make things more dramatic than what it really is to keep you away from your dreams.

There are those who know the business good enough to be able to offer good advice.  So which do you think is worse, someone telling you that you're not cut out for a certain type of modeling or blowing smoke up your ass?

It sounds like you're bitter.

Jan 10 13 10:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chuckarelei
Posts: 9,408
Seattle, Washington, US


Runwayimages wrote:
Be careful who you listen to. Freinds and family are hard enough to get to support. Imagine the damage a fellow model and/or photographer could do.
Some will lead you astray and make you think its not worth your time to model or tell you a style may not be for you. They may even sabotage your dreams with negative remarks. When you look for bad. You will find it.

These nay sayers are just as bad as con artist. YES even your boyfriend/girlfriend may get in your way. Some even make things more dramatic than what it really is to keep you away from your dreams.

What makes you think you are not one of those people you are talking about ?

Jan 10 13 10:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


You can listen to everyone. It's how you take their advice/criticism/critique/information...

-do YOU use it to your advantage?
-do YOU let their comments get to your head?
-do YOU stop doing what YOU love because someone else "said so"
-do YOU push yourself harder every time someone says you can't/shouldn't
-do YOU do your OWN research as well

Anything worth doing, starts and ends only with one person...YOU.
Jan 10 13 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,359
Salem, Oregon, US


sometimes i think people are watching out for you but other times maybe they're saying what makes sense for them or would be best for them. i don't think we should discourage people from pursuing what interests them. even if they fail at least they tried. of course if failure means becoming homeless and/or an addict then maybe they do need a reality-check. and some environments maybe aren't conducive to a healthy lifestyle (supposedly bieber lost gomez because of this).

i think life can be hard no matter which path you take. we shouldn't discourage people just because the road might be difficult.
Jan 10 13 10:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rich Burroughs
Posts: 3,259
Portland, Oregon, US


twoharts wrote:
sometimes i think people are watching out for you but other times maybe they're saying what makes sense for them or would be best for them. i don't think we should discourage people from pursuing what interests them. even if they fail at least they tried. of course if failure means becoming homeless and/or an addict then maybe they do need a reality-check. and some environments maybe aren't conducive to a healthy lifestyle (supposedly bieber lost gomez because of this).

i think life can be hard no matter which path you take. we shouldn't discourage people just because the road might be difficult.

There's a difference between difficult and virtually impossible. If someone is 5'3" and dreams of being a supermodel, that's more than just "difficult." If they're 5'9" and in the right place, it's still difficult.

And of course there are people who make money off of shooting 5'3" girls who dream of being supermodels. I guess for those photographers it's in their best interest to encourage everyone.

Jan 10 13 10:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chasing Shadows
Posts: 302
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


People have reasons they say what they say. Some like putting people down, others like saying everything is great.

If you ask about your photography work, remember the person you asked has  their own issues.

That said, I have found a lot of good people on MM, both models and photographers. They always encourage others with positive comments. They state a lighting idea or posing idea that is very useful and thought provoking, and makes me work harder. Thanks to them. We just have to ignore the trolls.
Jan 10 13 11:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


Runwayimages wrote:
Some even make things more dramatic than what it really is

Much like this thread.

Jan 10 13 11:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,359
Salem, Oregon, US


i read that you're more likely to become an NBA player than to win the lottery. yet some people do win the lottery.

but, yeah, if a girl wants to bet the farm on being a VS model and she's only 5'3" that's just kind of pointless unless the world changes overnight. however i would say that just going on that journey and failing might still have some value and at least they feel like they tried rather than regretting not trying. but of course they may wind up spending thousands at a faux agency.

i wanted to be a pro golfer when i grew up but various people discouraged me. eventually i realized they were right. i'm way too fragile mentally to ever have survived the competitive pressure (assuming i could have even gotten good enough to have that chance). i'd have been on the 18th tee going "don't block it into the water. don't block it into the water. dunk"

sometimes i think people see things in you that you can't see because you're too close to it.

Rich Burroughs wrote:
There's a difference between difficult and virtually impossible. If someone is 5'3" and dreams of being a supermodel, that's more than just "difficult." If they're 5'9" and in the right place, it's still difficult.

And of course there are people who make money off of shooting 5'3" girls who dream of being supermodels. I guess for those photographers it's in their best interest to encourage everyone.

Jan 10 13 12:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


Rays Fine Art wrote:

Huh!

It almost sounds as if you are counselling folks to ignore any advice offered by anyone.  For a newbie, that can be disasterous! 

Models generally and especially those who aspire to be fashion models, have a short shelf life.  Most models don't even join MM before they are beyond the prime hiring ages for fashion and most don't have the statistics for fashion work.  If they ignore the advice of those who've been around a while and have learned the ropes they are almost certain to squander the opportunities they have.  While admittedly there are exceptions, it's critical to remember that they are exceptions!  It's fun to dream that you can fly but that's not a good reason to jump off a cliff expecting to.

Much better to consider all advice, determine the qualifications of the advisor, and select advices you will act on based on how experienced and knowledgeable the advisor actually is.

All IMHO, as always.

+1
and I think the OP needs to post in Critique before blanketing all of MM with advice.

Jan 10 13 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers