login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Making love to the camera . . . Search   Reply
Model
Angel ONeill
Posts: 134
Venice, Veneto, Italy


How do you guys bring out the best in your model? Total cliche but does the whole make love to the camera thing in your opinion work? For me looking into the camera like its someone I have the super hots for gets good eye contact.
Jan 10 13 05:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


Usually the Brad Pitt mask does the trick.
Jan 10 13 06:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jackson frontier photos
Posts: 531
Joplin, Missouri, US


Humor and having fun = comfort and authentic smiles.
Jan 10 13 06:13 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Angel ONeill
Posts: 134
Venice, Veneto, Italy


Ha ha loving the brad pitt mask comment! Although not sure that would do it for me is just tooo pretty ha ha! Perhaps Javier Bardem or Daniel Craig : )
Jan 10 13 06:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hero Foto
Posts: 878
Phoenix, Arizona, US


it helps to think (fantasize) of a "lover" ...
when "I" (as a photographer) am wanting a certain look of ecstasy in an image I ask the model (male/female) to think of their "lover" in a "lovers" mentality ... or that feeling of relief one gets after the first morning pee or first sip of a hot cup of coffee on a cold winter morning .. wink
Jan 10 13 06:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
3934
Posts: 569
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Or finally being able to use the restroom at the end of watching The Hobbit.
Jan 10 13 06:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S W I N S K E Y
Posts: 24,309
Saint Petersburg, Florida, US


I create and maintain a relaxed and comfortable environment for models to work in.

I can get the looks i want, without having to mention anything sexual or intimate.
the looks come as a result or my process and direction.

the better models run through a routine that typically include those looks, so there never any reason to use any creepy "make love to the camera" verbiage.

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png
Jan 10 13 06:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JeanDphoto
Posts: 1,342
Knowlton, Quebec, Canada


Making love to the camera is one thing but the foreplay usually sucks
Jan 10 13 06:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Harris Photography
Posts: 485
Edison, New Jersey, US


S W I N S K E Y wrote:
I create and maintain a relaxed and comfortable environment for models to work in.

I can get the looks i want, without having to mention anything sexual or intimate.
the looks come as a result or my process and direction.

the better models run through a routine that typically include those looks, so there never any reason to use any creepy "make love to the camera" verbiage.

I agree! I also like to keep thing light and fun.

I try to carefully read profiles and blogs. I have found that while a model is fixing her hair or makeup and I ask her about something in her on-line writing she'll react positively. I also got a great reaction recently when, after reading something deep in a profile, I had snacks appropriate to her dietary needs.

Jan 10 13 06:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Four-Eleven Productions
Posts: 734
Fircrest, Washington, US


I ask models to try to ignore the photographer, and not to worry about what their friends or others will think about the picture…only to consider the guy at the other end of the pipeline, who is viewing her images for the first time and falling head over heels in love with her as he does so.

Also, I ask models to make sure every expression says SOMETHING (whether it's "C'mere" or "Go away!" or "I love you" or "I hate you" or whatever); I abhor the expression that only says, "I'm getting my picture taken today" or is the one you use when you're being photographed standing in front of the Grand Canyon.

Also, I think the key to getting great expressions is to not be afraid of a bad one. I remind the models about the DELETE button and encourage their fearlessness.

Of course, building trust and open communication between photographer and model is the real key. But you knew that.
Jan 10 13 07:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Caveman Creations
Posts: 580
Fort Worth, Texas, US


Jan 10 13 07:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 21,022
New York, New York, US


Piupiu Fosse wrote:
Total cliche but does the whole make love to the camera thing in your opinion work?.

I am a fashion shooter who tried to do glamour once.

I told the model to "make love to my camera..."

... she ripped it out of my hands and loved my camera.

Long story short, Nikon refused to clean and service my long lens under warranty, because it was obviously used different from recommended in the user's manual.  sad

That was the end of my stint in glamour and me ever encouraging a model to "make love to my camera!"

Stupid me!  facepalm

Jan 10 13 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Thomas Earl
Posts: 285
Los Angeles, California, US


Four-Eleven Productions wrote:
Also, I ask models to make sure every expression says SOMETHING (whether it's "C'mere" or "Go away!" or "I love you" or "I hate you" or whatever); I abhor the expression that only says, "I'm getting my picture taken today" or is the one you use when you're being photographed standing in front of the Grand Canyon.

Also, I think the key to getting great expressions is to not be afraid of a bad one. I remind the models about the DELETE button and encourage their fearlessness.

Great advice!

Jan 10 13 07:20 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Angel ONeill
Posts: 134
Venice, Veneto, Italy


udor wrote:

I am a fashion shooter who tried to do glamour once.

I told the model to "make love to my camera..."

... she ripped it out of my hands and loved my camera.

Long story short, Nikon refused to clean and service my long lens under warranty, because it was obviously used different from recommended in the user's manual.  sad

That was the end of my stint in glamour and me ever encouraging a model to "make love to my camera!"

Stupid me!  facepalm

Lol! You should try your hand at comedy too : )

Jan 10 13 07:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Supermodel Photographer
Posts: 3,309
Oyster Bay, New York, US


udor wrote:
I told the model to "make love to my camera..."

... she ripped it out of my hands and loved my camera.

Did that camera have a long lens?

Jan 10 13 08:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 14,706
Orlando, Florida, US


udor wrote:
I am a fashion shooter who tried to do glamour once.

I told the model to "make love to my camera..."

... she ripped it out of my hands and loved my camera.

Long story short, Nikon refused to clean and service my long lens under warranty, because it was obviously used different from recommended in the user's manual.  sad

That was the end of my stint in glamour and me ever encouraging a model to "make love to my camera!"

Stupid me!  facepalm

I wonder if Ken Marcus has ever done a shoot like that.

Camera porn fetish?

Jan 10 13 08:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


If I were a model and the photographer ever said anything so cliche as "make love to the camera" or "pretend I'm your lover" I would have to file a worker's compensation claim to cover the hernia operation from laughing too hard.

Also, if the words "hot" and/or "baby" were ever used I'd recommend the photographer keep a mop and bucket handy for the voluminous amounts of vomit.

Generally, any line that could be inserted into an Austin Powers movie is not going to produce the look you want...unless that look is "hysterical laughter."
Jan 10 13 08:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Salo
Posts: 7,787
Olney, Maryland, US


Piupiu Fosse wrote:
How do you guys bring out the best in your model? Total cliche but does the whole make love to the camera thing in your opinion work? For me looking into the camera like its someone I have the super hots for gets good eye contact.

Sometimes eye contact is good.  Sometimes looking into the distance is moody and wonderful.

Bringing out the best requires teamwork.  I can't force it and I don't want the model to try to force it.  Subtle expressions are great.  Wide smiles often don't work in my opinion.

A couple times I asked the model to "give me sexy" and I shot after she stopped laughing.  This only works if the model knows that I really don't expect "sexy".

Jan 10 13 09:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan OMell
Posts: 1,312
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


just put her boyfriend behind your shoulder. make sure he is not bi-sexual, though...
Jan 10 13 09:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SitronStudio
Posts: 1,056
Venice, Florida, US


Not everyone looks their best when making love. I recently shot a model that kept making strange faces at the camera. I finally had to stop and ask them what they were doing. They had been told by another photographer to "make love to the camera". I burst out laughing and told them to just be natural. Most people look good laughing, though.
Jan 10 13 09:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Posts: 5,664
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


Good Egg Productions wrote:
I wonder if Ken Marcus has ever done a shoot like that.

Camera porn fetish?

Google search for "lens porn" clearly shows what photographers are after:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/data/500/Sigma-Lens-Porn.jpg

There is a next lens war brewing wink

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-Hi7Mi8Z6L8tb7zdGGZezXw2A6Qkjt_z1rV7_4OJ_--9xIqTk2S-lvz5R

Jan 10 13 09:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eastfist
Posts: 3,461
Green Bay, Wisconsin, US


It's something you have to do on both sides of the image. There's the image itself, and then it's how you "sell" it to the viewers.
Jan 10 13 10:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Marcus Studios
Posts: 8,353
Los Angeles, California, US


If you want to make a model laugh hysterically, just tell her to "make love to the camera" . . . . works every time !






Seriously . . . . don't use that line . . . . it's creepy !
Jan 10 13 10:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Angel ONeill
Posts: 134
Venice, Veneto, Italy


Loving the responses! Good to know both models and photographers have a sense of humour ; - ) Laughter makes the world go round
Jan 10 13 10:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,076
Salem, Oregon, US


i just try to keep things relaxed on set so they'll be comfortable giving a good performance. i find the whole "imagine the camera is your boyfriend" thing kind of creepy (i don't mind if they do that, i just don't want to be saying that to them). for glamour shoots we crank up the music and they do their strip-tease.
Jan 10 13 10:10 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 9,515
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
If you want to make a model laugh hysterically, just tell her to "make love to the camera" . . . . works every time !

Seriously . . . . don't use that line . . . . it's creepy !

Its a useful line. It lets the model know that you are a GWC. Its easier than having her check to see that your camera is in 'P' mode.

Jan 11 13 02:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DavidCoward Photography
Posts: 629
Sandy Springs, Georgia, US


Piupiu Fosse wrote:
Loving the responses! Good to know both models and photographers have a sense of humour ; - ) Laughter makes the world go round

No, money makes the world go around.

Laughter helps ease the pain of having no money. tongue

Jan 11 13 02:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DavidCoward Photography
Posts: 629
Sandy Springs, Georgia, US


As far as sexy looks or any other kind of look, I just try to direct the model in specific ways: "Chin down a little," "Relax your eyes a bit and focus on the corner of the desk behind me," "very slight smile" ... that kind of thing. It seems to work well.
Jan 11 13 02:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Angel ONeill
Posts: 134
Venice, Veneto, Italy


DavidCoward Photography wrote:

No, money makes the world go around.

Laughter helps ease the pain of having no money. tongue

Ah so thats why i am having such a laugh then - explains it ; - )

Jan 11 13 06:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY
Posts: 4,556
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Piupiu Fosse wrote:
How do you guys bring out the best in your model? Total cliche but does the whole make love to the camera thing in your opinion work? For me looking into the camera like its someone I have the super hots for gets good eye contact.

It may be cliche, and sometimes I get that look evil eye, when I playfully say to the model...."work it, work it, yessss that's it beautiful, work it " but most it makes the model feel sexy and it works smile

Jan 11 13 06:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
D-Light
Posts: 516
Newcastle, Limerick, Ireland


Jackson frontier photos wrote:
Humor and having fun = comfort and authentic smiles.

Exactly this. If the model is not enjoying herself or comfortable she's not going to do the poses.

Besides, making love to the camera damages the lens.

Jan 11 13 07:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chuck Purnell
Posts: 318
Wilmington, Delaware, US


At some point during the shoot, I will tell the model to look away from my direction and flirt with your eyes at a given object which is usually the nearest C-stand LOL! Don't laugh, it works and I get the shot I was looking for! LOL! Sometimes I will say pretend that light stand is your BF and flirt with it. The other side of the coin is just relax and have fun. I am always cracking jokes or laughing and that eases them out of being nervous by creating a fun easy going atmosphere.
Jan 11 13 11:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ChanStudio - OtherSide
Posts: 5,309
Alpharetta, Georgia, US


I never ask any model to make love to the camera.  But what I do know is that a lot of models prefer larger lenses.. ???   I am not sure why..
Jan 11 13 11:35 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers