login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Women's skirt length and sterotypes Search   Reply
1234last
Photographer
Stephen Dawson
Posts: 29,246
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


A photographer's depiction of societal views of women's skirt length associated with the stereotypes assigned to women. Your thoughts?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481356_457639124297632_892639778_n.jpg
Jan 10 13 07:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AdelaideJohn1967
Posts: 12,462
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Stephen Dawson wrote:
A photographer's depiction of societal views of women's skirt length associated with the stereotypes assigned to women. Your thoughts?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481356_457639124297632_892639778_n.jpg

Rosee Posey?  What too embarrassed to use their name smile

Interesting picture. Not sure what to think..... But great way to stir up discussion

Jan 10 13 07:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shon D.- Homme
Posts: 3,193
Virginia Beach, Virginia, US


Stephen Dawson wrote:
A photographer's depiction of societal views of women's skirt length associated with the stereotypes assigned to women. Your thoughts?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481356_457639124297632_892639778_n.jpg

Love it.

Jan 10 13 07:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
hygvhgvkhy
Posts: 2,092
Chicago, Illinois, US


On whore.. I don't think they make skirts that small.... That's like a bandeau..

Then I have seen plenty wearing dresses that short.

Good picture. &of course people judge you on what you wear. It's not like it's something you don't have a say in it's a decision you make everyday. If you walk out of the house looking like Snooki I will absolutely try not to let you see me laughing at you:P

Dresses &fur boots over summer-.- ppl are nuts.

Idk. I do like the picture but it's like. You should expect people to judge you on what you wear.
Jan 10 13 07:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KelliOnLineGlamourNude
Posts: 2,900
Barrie, Ontario, Canada


I think it's ridiculous to judge people on clothing. I wore really short, tight mini skirts only when I was a virgin. wink
Jan 10 13 08:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


love it, seems accurate! assumptions-wise lol
Jan 10 13 08:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Kerrek
Posts: 1,393
Orlando, Florida, US


Really? No one here has a problem with "asking for it"?
Jan 11 13 04:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Carlos Occidental
Posts: 10,546
Glendora, California, US


So, female tennis players are sluts?  OK.

The shot would be OK without all that writing on her leg.
A much better generalization would be for make up and type of blouse she's wearing, not how high her skirt is.
Jan 11 13 04:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vivus Hussein Denuo
Posts: 64,028
New York, New York, US


Carlos Occidental wrote:
So, female tennis players are sluts?  OK.

The shot would be OK without all that writing on her leg.
A much better generalization would be for make up and type of blouse she's wearing, than how high her skirt is.

And ballerinas as well?

Jan 11 13 04:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jason Haven
Posts: 38,287
Washington, District of Columbia, US


I like me some sluts. I don't know why "slut" is such a negative word though.
Jan 11 13 04:41 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


I totally disagree with that. If you are going to make judgements like that (which you shouldn't anyway, but I'll just play along with the OP here....), skirt length alone is not enough of a variable. There are long skits that are completely seethrough, and there are miniskirts that you can wear with dark tights, flats and a top with no cleavage that don't look sexy at all. Too many variables.

Okay, now that I have adressed the OP... I don't find the "asking for it" funny, at all. Rape-mentality is not something people should joke about...
Jan 11 13 05:20 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Babalon Salome
Posts: 3,499
Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany


Anna Adrielle wrote:
I don't find the "asking for it" funny, at all. Rape-mentality is not something people should joke about...

This.

Really, WTF is wrong with people?!

Jan 11 13 05:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kincaid Blackwood
Posts: 23,313
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I like it.  It an illustration of how society views skirt lengths.  And an accurate depiction of that view, I'd say.
Jan 11 13 05:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ashley Graham
Posts: 26,796
Los Angeles, California, US


Kincaid Blackwood wrote:
I like it.  It an illustration of how society views skirt lengths.  And an accurate depiction of that view, I'd say.

I'm going to agree. Also to add background that wasn't added since I know the person who took it since I follow her on tumblr. This was made as high school project and is a self-portrait. Any of you who say I hate people who judge others by clothing are lying to yourselves. We all judge people by how they walk, what they wear, the color of their hair and everything. It's a human trait. If you disagree, ok. However, this is very true to life

Jan 11 13 05:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
D0127H
Posts: 1,135
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Jan 11 13 05:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


I like it. It's a great concept. Stirs up discussion and probably emotion in some people, serves its purpose.
Jan 11 13 06:04 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Ashley Graham wrote:

I'm going to agree. Also to add background that wasn't added since I know the person who took it since I follow her on tumblr. This was made as high school project and is a self-portrait. Any of you who say I hate people who judge others by clothing are lying to yourselves. We all judge people by how they walk, what they wear, the color of their hair and everything. It's a human trait. If you disagree, ok. However, this is very true to life

ehm, I don't think people are sluts just because of skirt length...

Jan 11 13 06:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Aaron Lewis Photography
Posts: 5,082
Catskill, New York, US


I agree that you really can't judge people by their clothing, but it is a fun picture and creates an interesting way of viewing things.
Jan 11 13 06:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kincaid Blackwood
Posts: 23,313
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
ehm, I don't think people are sluts just because of skirt length...

Maybe you don't, but plenty of people do that.


And I'm betting that you make judgements about people based on appearance.  In other ways.  The human brain is a remarkable organizational tool.  It takes in visual information and categorizes and partitions the data based on a myriad of factors (which aren't necessarily irrelevant but still).  You can't help but do that whether you make negative assessments of people based on skirt length or not; your brain is still going to see something and categorize it based on learned associations.

Again, the brain just does it.  To process info without this fast partitioning would make the digestion of sensory information time-consuming to the point of being non-functional.

Jan 11 13 06:35 am  Link  Quote 
Model
J Jessica
Posts: 2,154
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, US


I will wear proper to matronly length (possibly flirty) skirts because I do not wish to be seen as number one through 4 (on that list) by random photographers or others.
Jan 11 13 07:06 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Presley ONeil wrote:
On whore.. I don't think they make skirts that small.... That's like a bandeau..

Then I have seen plenty wearing dresses that short.

Good picture. &of course people judge you on what you wear. It's not like it's something you don't have a say in it's a decision you make everyday. If you walk out of the house looking like Snooki I will absolutely try not to let you see me laughing at you:P

Dresses &fur boots over summer-.- ppl are nuts.

Idk. I do like the picture but it's like. You should expect people to judge you on what you wear.

Yes, judgements on character or what you're into or whatever.
Sexual availability, no.

Jan 11 13 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Michael Kerrek wrote:
Really? No one here has a problem with "asking for it"?

Not... with it being on the photo?
It's not trying to be funny. I like any discussion of how that mentality is common and should be combated.

Jan 11 13 07:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,341
Houston, Texas, US


KelliOnLineGlamourNude  wrote:
I think it's ridiculous to judge people on clothing. I wore really short, tight mini skirts only when I was a virgin. wink

Except that I am willing to bet you that you do it every single day of every month of every year.  WE ALL DO IT.  It is simply part of what humans do.  We take all the available information we have about a person: height, weight, race, ethnicity, eye color, hair, clothing, stride, posture, manicure, hair cut, teeth color and crookedness, complexion, smell and, based on all of that, form opinions and inferences in split seconds.   What those opinions say will vary from culture to culture, person to person, etc but, WE ALL "judge" people based, at least in part, on his or her clothing.

I judge people on their clothing all the time.  If you think you don't, read Blink.

Oh, and as to the picture:  I respect the photographers right to convey the imagery and messaging she wishes.

Jan 11 13 10:14 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Kincaid Blackwood wrote:

Maybe you don't, but plenty of people do that.


And I'm betting that you make judgements about people based on appearance.  In other ways.  The human brain is a remarkable organizational tool.  It takes in visual information and categorizes and partitions the data based on a myriad of factors (which aren't necessarily irrelevant but still).  You can't help but do that whether you make negative assessments of people based on skirt length or not; your brain is still going to see something and categorize it based on learned associations.

Again, the brain just does it.  To process info without this fast partitioning would make the digestion of sensory information time-consuming to the point of being non-functional.

ofcourse everybody judges, I'm not saying that we don't. but that's different from thinking someone is a whore because they're wearing a short skirt hmm

Jan 11 13 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Damianne wrote:
Not... with it being on the photo?
It's not trying to be funny. I like any discussion of how that mentality is common and should be combated.

I didn't get the sense that it is trying to be funny either.

I read it as being meant to provoke the precise discussion we're having...and why those assumptions are not okay.

Jan 11 13 10:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,796
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Michael Kerrek wrote:
Really? No one here has a problem with "asking for it"?

No. I don't.

I don't think it was made to be funny at all. Quite the opposite actually.

Jan 11 13 10:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,796
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Anna Adrielle wrote:

ofcourse everybody judges, I'm not saying that we don't. but that's different from thinking someone is a whore because they're wearing a short skirt hmm

But that's the problem. A lot of people do think that way.

Jan 11 13 10:23 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


There's a difference between thinking "that is such a goddamn hipster" and deciding you, without speaking to someone, know what their sexual availability is and can make decisions around that without their input. Even worse, that if they say "sorry, not into having sex with strangers" they're lying because what their skirt says trumps what their mouth says.

THAT'S the problem. Not random judgements based on look.

There's the reverse, as well, that if you're not a little bit sexual than you're frigid, or old, or you're not as much of a woman.
Jan 11 13 10:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Ashley Graham wrote:

I'm going to agree. Also to add background that wasn't added since I know the person who took it since I follow her on tumblr. This was made as high school project and is a self-portrait. Any of you who say I hate people who judge others by clothing are lying to yourselves. We all judge people by how they walk, what they wear, the color of their hair and everything. It's a human trait. If you disagree, ok. However, this is very true to life

Indeed.
Which is why good art makes us question and ponder these preconceptions we all have.

Jan 11 13 10:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Damianne wrote:
There's a difference between thinking "that is such a goddamn hipster" and deciding you, without speaking to someone, know what their sexual availability is and can make decisions around that without their input. Even worse, that if they say "sorry, not into having sex with strangers" they're lying because what their skirt says trumps what their mouth says.

THAT'S the problem. Not random judgements based on look.

There's the reverse, as well, that if you're not a little bit sexual than you're frigid, or old, or you're not as much of a woman.

However a woman dresses and looks, she will always be criticized by men afraid of her power and fellow women jealous of the male attention she gets. You can never please everyone, even if you wear a Burkha all day.

That's a whole realm of hurt that men never have to deal with, because they don't get objectified and sexualized by women and by other men like that.

Jan 11 13 10:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shon D.- Homme
Posts: 3,193
Virginia Beach, Virginia, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

ofcourse everybody judges, I'm not saying that we don't. but that's different from thinking someone is a whore because they're wearing a short skirt hmm

No it's not. I think people are totally missing the point of this photograph. It's a FEMINIST piece. We live in a culture that privileges men and promotes rape. When a woman is raped, society points the finger AT HER. Well, why was she out that late at night? Why was she alone? Why was she unarmed? How much did she have to drink? Why was her skirt that short? Did she lead him on? Was she "asking for it?" etc etc etc.

This photo illustrates rape culture perfectly.

Jan 11 13 11:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shon D.- Homme
Posts: 3,193
Virginia Beach, Virginia, US


I also love that she included insults for skirts that are TOO long, which represents the idea that women MUST be sexy but not TOO sexy. You must always walk a fine line of being sexually available to a man. If you're too provocative, then you're asking for it, but if you're too demure, then you're insulted for being prudish and matronly.

This is really brilliant. I am even more impressed to learn that this was done by someone in high school

*sheds a happy tear for the youth*
Jan 11 13 11:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
Okay, now that I have adressed the OP... I don't find the "asking for it" funny, at all. Rape-mentality is not something people should joke about...

We're assuming that's what they meant, that could mean SO many things.

Maybe they meant asking for a spanking? That's when I wear my really short skirts.

Jan 11 13 11:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Shon D.- Homme wrote:
I also love that she included insults for skirts that are TOO long, which represents the idea that women MUST be sexy but not TOO sexy. You must always walk a fine line of being sexually available to a man. If you're too provocative, then you're asking for it, but if you're too demure, then you're insulted for being prudish and matronly.

This is really brilliant. I am even more impressed to learn that this was done by someone in high school

*sheds a happy tear for the youth*

http://i45.tinypic.com/9a72qe.jpg

Both can be true.

Jan 11 13 11:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


Stephen Dawson wrote:
A photographer's depiction of societal views of women's skirt length associated with the stereotypes assigned to women. Your thoughts?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/481356_457639124297632_892639778_n.jpg

I saw that image early this morning and just kept scrolling. I wear my skirts at the slut and asking for it levels, because my hubby likes it and his is the only opinion that matters. Am I a slut? Nope. People that will judge someone by the length of their skirt are just ignorant, lol.

Jan 11 13 11:24 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Russian Katarina wrote:

http://i45.tinypic.com/9a72qe.jpg

Both can be true.

Because they both are.

Jan 11 13 11:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


"Asking for it" is pretty terrible, IMO.

The rest are just ridiculous stereotypes.

I will say, the SIZE and ATTRACTIVENESS of a woman who wears the skirt seems to make a bigger difference than just the skirt length for some people.    This might be slightly off-topic...  but I watched this discrimination happen at an office where I used to work.

Woman A was about a size 2-4, tall, frequently came into work with high heels and short mini skirts (4" above knee) for the office, it was deemed inappropriate length for the workplace, but nobody ever complained because the girl was gorgeous.

Woman B was about a size 10-12, short, curvy, wore tall boots and a mini skirt to work *once* and was pulled into HR and was told to change because her clothing was inappropriate for the office.

I've seen other examples of women wearing low-cropped tops; one with larger breasts, one with smaller; the one with larger always got spoken to.
Jan 11 13 11:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Damianne wrote:

Because they both are.

They leave out that this culture is driven by men because women let them, though - we raise men, after all. And we are relentless at tearing down other women.

I get at least as much bullshit from my own gender than I do from the other gender and what makes it worse is that women are often more sneaky and effective at the backstabbing game than men.

Jan 11 13 11:32 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


model emily  wrote:
"Asking for it" is pretty terrible, IMO.

The rest are just ridiculous stereotypes.

I will say, the SIZE and ATTRACTIVENESS of a woman who wears the skirt seems to make a bigger difference than just the skirt length for some people.    This might be slightly off-topic...  but I watched this discrimination happen at an office where I used to work.

Woman A was about a size 2-4, tall, frequently came into work with high heels and short mini skirts (4" above knee) for the office, it was deemed inappropriate length for the workplace, but nobody ever complained because the girl was gorgeous.

Woman B was about a size 10-12, short, curvy, wore tall boots and a mini skirt to work *once* and was pulled into HR and was told to change because her clothing was inappropriate for the office.

I've seen other examples of women wearing low-cropped tops; one with larger breasts, one with smaller; the one with larger always got spoken to.

This depresses me, the amount of whoosh occurring.

Jan 11 13 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
digital Artform
Posts: 49,326
Los Angeles, California, US


The word "whoosh" comes to mind after reading some of the responses here.
Jan 11 13 11:34 am  Link  Quote 
1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers