login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Question about copy wright's: Search   Reply
Photographer
terrysphotocountry
Posts: 4,081
Rochester, New York, US


Question about copy wright's: I have taken and edited a jpeg image and I was wondering what I must do to make sure its protected by copy wrights. Thanks in advance!
Jan 11 13 12:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Marcus Studios
Posts: 8,458
Los Angeles, California, US


Copyright
Jan 11 13 12:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Marcus Studios
Posts: 8,458
Los Angeles, California, US


Copyright . . . Look it up in Google !

You already own the copyright . . . There is nothing more that you must do.
Jan 11 13 12:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,410
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


You already have copyright but to further protect yourself you can register them

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-register.html
Jan 11 13 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
I M N Photography
Posts: 2,330
New York, New York, US


Yes. Research the topic online.

I will assume English is not your first language, because of the incorrect spelling of the word, albeit your claim of over two decades of photography experience.

Laws vary from one country to another, and even from state to state in The States.

You may have had a hard time finding information, because of your spelling..
Jan 11 13 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ThomasBlanchardFineArt
Posts: 220
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


terrysphotocountry wrote:
Question about copy wright's: I have taken and edited a jpeg image and I was wondering what I must do to make sure its protected by copy wrights. Thanks in advance!

With the years of experience you reference in your profile I'm surprised you don't know the minute you click the shutter the image has your copyright. 

If you want to submit and pay to have it registered ... Google it.

Jan 12 13 07:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Awesome Headshots
Posts: 2,369
San Ramon, California, US


Copy Wright is when you copy Steven Wrights material and call it your own.
Jan 12 13 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael DBA Expressions
Posts: 3,170
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


MnPhoto wrote:
Laws vary from one country to another, and even from state to state in The States.

True = "laws vary from one country to another."
Semi-true = "even from state to state in the States." Copyright law, however, does not, being a Federal law, not a state law.

Jan 12 13 07:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,398
Fremont, California, US


Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
There is nothing more that you must do.

kind of misleading. There's plenty that must be done to ensure full protection, and all of it is fairly complicated.

If you don't register prior to the infringement, or within the statutory window, your protections drop significantly, along with your chances of finding a lawyer to take your case on contingency.

Jan 12 13 09:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,398
Fremont, California, US


terrysphotocountry wrote:
Question about copy wright's: I have taken and edited a jpeg image and I was wondering what I must do to make sure its protected by copy wrights. Thanks in advance!

Your image is automatically protected by copyright law as soon as it's created.

In order to enforce this right effectively, you need to have registered it with the copyright office. There's a (iirc) $30 fee, but you can register any number of images AS LONG AS all the images you're registering are either a) unpublished, or b) all published within one calendar year.

Generally, unless you make your living with photography, you're not going to do anything about infringements anyway, except perhaps send a bill when they occur, but if you're going to step it up and try to be a pro... you need to read a lot more.

Jan 12 13 09:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leonard Gee Photography
Posts: 16,190
Sacramento, California, US


terrysphotocountry wrote:
Question about copy wright's: I have taken and edited a jpeg image and I was wondering what I must do to make sure its protected by copy wrights. Thanks in advance!

No one has address the important question here when you say "taken".

By "taken" did you make the original photograph? They are the copyright holder. If you simply retouched any random jpeg image that you have "taken" off the internet, it's not your image.

If you are the original photographer, then it is your copyright.

Jan 13 13 01:32 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers