login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Too "fat" to model Search   Reply
first123last
Model
Isis22
Posts: 2,274
Muncie, Indiana, US


You say in your question that you are 5' 9" but in your port you say you are 5' 7". That is a big discrepancy. Which is it?
Jan 12 13 05:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jordan L Duncan
Posts: 207
Jacksonville, Florida, US


chellforte wrote:
Hi, I'm new here, and I am slowly getting work and building my portfolio.

I see a lot of skinny models on this website by nature, and I am deterred by a lot of people because I'm not a size 2 dress and 5'9'' tall. I'm a size 8 and my measurements are 36 30 38, and I'm working to lose weight but it's rough because I work my day job at a bakery (and boy is it hard to keep a diet there! lol!)

I work really hard at my shoots though, when I started I worked with my friends who were photogs or photography majors at my college, and I did TFP work. I just did a paid photo shoot and I am going to a casting call for an alternative hair show next week and I really need to work on my self consciousness. Modeling helps me do that, most of the time, but I still struggle with it.

So what do you guys think? Can you be curvy and still be a good commercial or freelance model?

I will never be tall enough to be considered for most fashion work, but I used to be the super skinny model you see on here. Now that I am curvier (you and I have similar measurements) I am actually getting more work than I ever did when I was skinnier. It may have to do with the fact that I live in Florida and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a photographer, but either way I'm not missing out on work. I conduct myself in a professional manner and put a lot of effort into my look and learning poses, so my body type has not hurt me.

Some photographers like a girl with more curves, and some projects even require it. Keep working on your diet and motivating yourself to exercise and eat healthy foods, but don't make modeling your motivation. No matter how skinny you are, not everyone will be suited for every type of work. Eat right and exercise to be healthy and prolong your life, not to try and fit an industry standard. Photographers who love your look will want to work with you no matter what your measurements are. I have worked with a lot of photographers who do shoot a lot of thin girls, but wanted to work with me because of my work ethic, because we made a personality connection, and because they liked my overall look as opposed to what some people might consider to be trouble spots.

Stick to the genres which you love and make you feel the most comfortable. Learn poses which make you look long and lean and emphasize your best features. Also learn wardrobe and styling tricks to show off your body at its best. Use makeup to create contours, and just do the best you can.

Jan 13 13 11:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nolngeractive
Posts: 178
Reno, Nevada, US


Post hidden on Jan 13, 2013 03:39 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Unsolicited critique.
Jan 13 13 11:37 am  Link 
Model
Scarlett Renee
Posts: 217
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121121/23/50add0a35b64e_m.jpg

More of this. It has some glamour to it - which I obviously have a bias towards. tongue

Keep working with people like Jim Jurica. Get a glamour hair/mua to come onto a shoot like this and see what they can do with you.

Play around and don't be afraid to get adventurous.

As to the post above me... LOL

I've met lots of girls in person who are "regular looking" but have the ability to make amazing images. They know the right hair and make-up, the right poses, and come alive in front of a camera. They have tons of personality that shows in their photos as does their own personal style. They get that way from practice and experimenting. Most of us on MM wont make a living out of this, but that doesn't mean we can't be something good as a model.
Jan 13 13 02:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
allison mindy
Posts: 1,495
New York, New York, US


As long as you know how to work your curves you will be just fine. I am by no means agency standard in either height or measurements smile
Jan 13 13 02:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,489
Los Angeles, California, US


Isis22 wrote:
You say in your question that you are 5' 9" but in your port you say you are 5' 7". That is a big discrepancy. Which is it?

No. It's written a little confusingly, but she's saying that because she ISN'T 5'9 and a size 2 (aka she's neither of those things), people say she can't model. Or something to that effect.

Jan 13 13 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,734
Santa Ana, California, US


I'm going to preface this with saying that I'm not talking about the OP. I'm making a very general observation.

This is basically what makes Internet modeling and MM have such broad appeal.
Because ANYONE can be (or play) a model (or a photographer, or a ...).
There is virtually always others that will be a good pairing with that person.
Doesn't matter if you're agency standard or even conventionally pretty (for a model) or conventionally talented (for photographers). There is more than likely going to be a fit somewhere.
Jan 13 13 03:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
chellforte
Posts: 47
Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US


Caustic Disco wrote:
hey, how do you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks?

That's definitely not what I meant, lol. 2 weeks would be the min time I would need, and 10 pounds would be the max amount of weight I would lose. 1-2 pounds a week with healthy exercise is common, and I am in fact starting on that. It would usually take 6 weeks to lose 10 pounds.

Jan 13 13 03:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
chellforte
Posts: 47
Glen Ellyn, Illinois, US


Isis22 wrote:
You say in your question that you are 5' 9" but in your port you say you are 5' 7". That is a big discrepancy. Which is it?

I said that I wasn't a size 2 and 5'9'', and a size 8 and 5'7'' I guess I didn't make that clear enough.

As to all the other posts, thanks for all the encouragement smile

Jan 13 13 03:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Figuremodel001
Posts: 264
Chicago, Illinois, US


Art of the nude wrote:
You are certainly not "too fat to model."  Like everyone else, you are better suited for some styles than others.  Can't say much more without getting into critique territory, and what I just said basically has nothing to do with the way you look.  It's true for pretty much anyone.

Nothing more need be said.

Jan 13 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jhono Bashian
Posts: 2,427
Cleveland, Ohio, US


Personally, I like shooting a curvy gals. The dangerous curves should be accentuated, such a sexy nude art form. Rock it girl!!
Jan 13 13 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
christiecreepydolls
Posts: 321
Los Angeles, California, US


If I can do it you can do it. I am 3 times your size!
Jan 14 13 09:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Melodye Joy
Posts: 542
Rancho Cucamonga, California, US


Your lovely the way you are. If YOU feel there is room for improvement, then that is up to YOU. You never, ever want to loose weight just because someone else THINKS so. It's always and forever up to the person, the body standing there...YOU!

That said, there is room for commercial modeling in various sizes, shapes and ages. Depends on what genre your seeking, what field of interest, what the demand is in your area, what a particular photographer wants or needs....all sorts of factors come in to play.

Your on the right track. Just do what YOU feel is best, be particular when taking roles (paid or unpaid) and always push yourself towards that goal (that you have set)..

Bless!
Happy modeling!
Jan 14 13 09:38 am  Link  Quote 
Model
V for Victory Modeling
Posts: 436
Roseville, California, US


chellforte wrote:
Hi, I'm new here, and I am slowly getting work and building my portfolio.

I see a lot of skinny models on this website by nature, and I am deterred by a lot of people because I'm not a size 2 dress and 5'9'' tall. I'm a size 8 and my measurements are 36 30 38, and I'm working to lose weight but it's rough because I work my day job at a bakery (and boy is it hard to keep a diet there! lol!)

You look great! I love curves! I am only 5'3" and 124lbs, so don't be discouraged! There is always a need for all kinds of models and I agree with the others, each person has their own style that suits them best. Good luck, you'll do great!

Jan 14 13 11:37 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Zerotia
Posts: 85
Springfield, New Jersey, US


nobody is ever too fat, too skinny, too short, too tall, too whatever to model.
sure- being a certain height/weight will limit your modeling options but it won't cancel you out completely.

it's all about your skill, your portfolio, and if your look is in demand or not.
Jan 14 13 12:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ren Murray
Posts: 542
Salem, Oregon, US


I will echo what everyone has said. No such thing as too fat to model...and you aren't fat anyway. You are an average height, weight individual.

That means you don't stand out for your body/build. Maybe this is a disadvantage for some modeling jobs, and others it might be an advantage.

Learn your angles, work on your expressions, develop a good runway walk and shoot with more and better photographers.

I think you can find some work if you do those things.

Ren
Jan 14 13 12:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


George Ruge wrote:
Too fat!! No way! My only suggestion to curvy girls is to watch your muscle tone, especially in the upper arm and tushie areas. Toned is beautiful, flabby is not.

Hi,
ditto for slim as well, (gravity doesn't care how much it is dragging down, it will still do its work!)
Jen
p.s. I'd better do some dead lifts for some rear raising myself! wink tee hee,

Jan 14 13 12:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Seville Media
Posts: 69
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US


My personal suggestion is that you find a good photographer who knows how to pose plus size models and pay him if he won't shoot for trade. Hire a stylist and a hair and makeup team.If you really want to make a career out of modeling, this will be a worthy investment. A right set of images in your portfolio can go a long way in how you are perceived.
Jan 14 13 01:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,889
New York, New York, US


as long as there are painters like Lucien Freud even fat people can model.  What type of modeling , how frequently, how lucrative though may be not what is desired.

That's a funny story about working in a bakery.  What are particularly appealing delicacies there?
Jan 14 13 02:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
christiecreepydolls
Posts: 321
Los Angeles, California, US


Good shots can happy at any size!
Jan 16 13 08:04 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Klara Johanna
Posts: 12
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


I would say get in shape and eat healthy- beyond that don't force your body into a category it doesn't fit.  Develop your persona as much as your look- think Kate Upton:

http://cahootsblog.com/2013/01/19/a-mod … al-media/#
Jan 19 13 01:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Wynd Mulysa
Posts: 8,587
Pensacola, Florida, US


We have similar waist and hip stats, but i am an a cup.  this makes you more proportional and traditionally beautiful than i am.  i've been freelance modeling, with 99% paid shoots, since 2006.
Jan 19 13 01:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bravo Magic Images
Posts: 765
Temple City, California, US


FAT is the New Phat.
Jan 19 13 01:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cree Synster
Posts: 239
Milledgeville, Georgia, US


Your fine. As others have said, some styles will be better suited for you than others, but there's a model for just about any kind of photographers out there. Someone in the photography world will take interest in you, no matter the body modifications or size/shape of you smile
Jan 19 13 11:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Miss Bexyink
Posts: 14
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand


chellforte wrote:
Hi, I'm new here, and I am slowly getting work and building my portfolio.

I see a lot of skinny models on this website by nature, and I am deterred by a lot of people because I'm not a size 2 dress and 5'9'' tall. I'm a size 8 and my measurements are 36 30 38, and I'm working to lose weight but it's rough because I work my day job at a bakery (and boy is it hard to keep a diet there! lol!)

I work really hard at my shoots though, when I started I worked with my friends who were photogs or photography majors at my college, and I did TFP work. I just did a paid photo shoot and I am going to a casting call for an alternative hair show next week and I really need to work on my self consciousness. Modeling helps me do that, most of the time, but I still struggle with it.

So what do you guys think? Can you be curvy and still be a good commercial or freelance model?

I am exactly the same ! I work in a bakery too ! Crikey we are game !! I honestly feel no one is 'too fat' to model. I'm not the smallest but there's still photographers out there that want to shoot me. Be confident in your body. Don't be someone your not. There are photographers and people out there that love us curvey woman ! So let's embrace it x

Jan 20 13 12:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


chellforte wrote:

That's definitely not what I meant, lol. 2 weeks would be the min time I would need, and 10 pounds would be the max amount of weight I would lose. 1-2 pounds a week with healthy exercise is common, and I am in fact starting on that. It would usually take 6 weeks to lose 10 pounds.

ooo, kinda misleading, you might want to change that! lol

Jan 20 13 12:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JoMP PhotoGraphics
Posts: 160
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


I will state the obvious, that others have also mentioned. You are attractive, and that will open the doors for you. I don't think your size should hold you back if you have a great port... I would, though, remove the pix of you in the polka dot dress and the one in the red dress. They do make you look heavier than any of the other pix.

Oh, and the best way to get shoots.. contact photogs!

John
Jan 20 13 10:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Hieronimi
Posts: 238
Chicago, Illinois, US


If you're under 5'8 and taller than 5'4, you can get a lot of legitimate commercial modeling work. Just eat right and exercise. Maintenance your body, and you'll stay beautiful.
Mar 21 13 09:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Lohr
Posts: 494
Los Angeles, California, US


chellforte wrote:
Hi, I'm new here, and I am slowly getting work and building my portfolio.

I see a lot of skinny models on this website by nature, and I am deterred by a lot of people because I'm not a size 2 dress and 5'9'' tall. I'm a size 8 and my measurements are 36 30 38, and I'm working to lose weight but it's rough because I work my day job at a bakery (and boy is it hard to keep a diet there! lol!)

I work really hard at my shoots though, when I started I worked with my friends who were photogs or photography majors at my college, and I did TFP work. I just did a paid photo shoot and I am going to a casting call for an alternative hair show next week and I really need to work on my self consciousness. Modeling helps me do that, most of the time, but I still struggle with it.

So what do you guys think? Can you be curvy and still be a good commercial or freelance model?

My partner in my rental studio runs a Plus size Agency. In fact many top agencies now have a Plus size division.
So dont let anyone hold you back

Mar 21 13 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,489
Los Angeles, California, US


Michael Lohr  wrote:
My partner in my rental studio runs a Plus size Agency. In fact many top agencies now have a Plus size division.
So dont let anyone hold you back

She wouldn't really fit with a plus agency, unfortunately.

Worth trying as they might make an exception, but on the definite short side and definite small side with only a 36 inch bust.

Mar 21 13 09:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,605
New York, New York, US


Curvy is good! I like curvy and so do many others. Don't let it get you down, let it lift you up!....Stay positive!
Mar 21 13 09:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tiffany Katz
Posts: 239
Palm Coast, Florida, US


Christinare wrote:
I'm in a similar position as a curvy model. I'm not overweight by any means, but I definitely don't have fashion model stats. I think the important thing to do is to be realistic. For me, I know I will never be a fashion or runway model. I'm totally fine with that. There is a market for toned curvy women (boudoir/lingerie, commercial, etc.) but I know it will be harder for me to find paid work. Right now, I'm fine with that. I just enjoy modeling, and appreciate the photographers who are willing to do TF shoots with me. As long as you don't have unrealistic expectations, I think you will do fine and have a lot of fun! Good luck!

Yes.

Mar 21 13 09:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tiffany Katz
Posts: 239
Palm Coast, Florida, US


Klara Johanna wrote:
I would say get in shape and eat healthy- beyond that don't force your body into a category it doesn't fit.  Develop your persona as much as your look- think Kate Upton:

http://cahootsblog.com/2013/01/19/a-mod … al-media/#

Good advice^

Mar 21 13 09:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 42,430
Salinas, California, US


chellforte wrote:
.....  I have discovered that the most supportive person you can have is yourself.

Your own words are truly the best message for your entire thread!  I'm happy you've discovered that!  smile

Mar 21 13 10:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A K
Posts: 178
Charleston, South Carolina, US


chellforte wrote:
Can you be curvy and still be a good commercial or freelance model?

It depends on what kind of work you want to do. There are jobs for just about every body type. It is a matter of finding them and beating the competition. With plus sized models, there is plenty of viable competition for few jobs. Just make sure you check out the base criteria before taking the time to compile a submission.

Mar 22 13 06:42 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Big A-Larger Than Life
Posts: 33,400
The Woodlands, Texas, US


Caustic Disco wrote:
hey, how do you lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks?

Cholera?

Mar 22 13 05:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sarah Louise Gater
Posts: 292
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


You have curves and I personally would absolutely love to be curvy. Swaps?! Your beautiful!
Mar 22 13 05:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wilde One
Posts: 2,349
Santa Monica, California, US


chellforte wrote:
Hi, I'm new here, and I am slowly getting work and building my portfolio.

I see a lot of skinny models on this website by nature, and I am deterred by a lot of people because I'm not a size 2 dress and 5'9'' tall. I'm a size 8 and my measurements are 36 30 38, and I'm working to lose weight but it's rough because I work my day job at a bakery (and boy is it hard to keep a diet there! lol!)

I work really hard at my shoots though, when I started I worked with my friends who were photogs or photography majors at my college, and I did TFP work. I just did a paid photo shoot and I am going to a casting call for an alternative hair show next week and I really need to work on my self consciousness. Modeling helps me do that, most of the time, but I still struggle with it.

So what do you guys think? Can you be curvy and still be a good commercial or freelance model?

The only real weight limit would be what the understructure of the studio floor can take you're standing on.

There are professional models who are very curvy. You just have to shoot well and be a good model.

Mar 23 13 08:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sierra McKenzie
Posts: 710
Seattle, Washington, US


I'm curvy and I've modeled full time for four years.

I've found diversifying your genres is the best way to keep booked. Work with photographers that are interested in updating their portfolios (and who may hire you consistently for projects), apply for commercial/lifestyle gigs, to a bit of side acting if you can, just really try to diversify.

And it will be easier to get work living in a bigger city.

But yeah, your stats won't stop you from making it.
Mar 23 13 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Apollonia26
Posts: 5
Bremen, Bremen, Germany


Hello,
without reading all the other anwer, my opinion is:
You look very awesome just the way you are on your pictures.
Your face is beautiful and reminds me of this italian beauties of the past like Isabella de’ Medici.

Go on and have fun with modelling.

Apollonia
Mar 24 13 06:27 am  Link  Quote 
first123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers