login info join!
Forums > Critique > Something a bit diffrent. Thoughts? Search   Reply
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Not the usual subject type but I wonder what you guys think of these. Any ideas to improve for next time would be appreciated

http://danknafophoto.com/#106
Jan 13 13 10:47 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MissLaurelle
Posts: 3,532
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


I really like it.
Comp is great love the colors...
to me it looks very professional like one of those interviews in magazines about important people.

nice job!
Jan 13 13 12:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


MissLaurelle wrote:
I really like it.
Comp is great love the colors...
to me it looks very professional like one of those interviews in magazines about important people.

nice job!

Thanks Laurelle, that was what i was going for:) Glad to see it worked. I really like your new work btw.

Jan 13 13 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,684
Saco, Maine, US


Great job!

Looks like a magazine piece on an artist, minus the writing part.

The only thing I would do with it (if possible) is separate her photos more. With your other "portraits", each one is different,  so that small, 1/4" grey bar separating the photos works, but with the portraits of that painter, with her having all her paintings in the background, it made the photos kind of run together. A small critique.
Jan 13 13 04:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Deirdre Holmes
Posts: 1,241
San Pedro, California, US


MissLaurelle wrote:
I really like it.
Comp is great love the colors...
to me it looks very professional like one of those interviews in magazines about important people.

nice job!

Agreed. Not sure how to 'improve' for next time as these are nicely composed and nice colors and tone. Really great job at avoiding reflection in the glasses too... And puppies!

Jan 13 13 05:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fleming Design
Posts: 1,065
Hartford, Connecticut, US


A softer light on her face would have put less emphasis on her wrinkles and, with a low fill, would have brought her eyes out more from the shadow of her glasses. The 3rd one is especially harsh. Flattering light will help get you repeat commissions.
Jan 13 13 06:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
B R E N N A N
Posts: 4,088
Charlotte, North Carolina, US


Fleming Design wrote:
A softer light on her face would have put less emphasis on her wrinkles and, with a low fill, would have brought her eyes out more from the shadow of her glasses. The 3rd one is especially harsh. Flattering light will help get you repeat commissions.

Agreed. Overall though, great job.

Jan 13 13 06:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KMP
Posts: 4,667
Houston, Texas, US


Dan K Photography wrote:
Not the usual subject type but I wonder what you guys think of these. Any ideas to improve for next time would be appreciated

http://danknafophoto.com/#106

You know what people say...   Opinions are like #@$@  Everybody has one.
As long as she's happy..and you're happy.... little else matters smile

Congrats....

Jan 13 13 06:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bearz Images
Posts: 782
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Very professional, compositions intriguing & interesting makes me want to see more. Which isn't an easy task to do. Congratulations.
Jan 13 13 06:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fleming Design
Posts: 1,065
Hartford, Connecticut, US


KevinMcGowanPhotography wrote:
You know what people say...   Opinions are like #@$@  Everybody has one.
As long as she's happy..and you're happy.... little else matters smile

Congrats....

Kind of an odd thing to say in a forum which is all about asking for opinions.  Don't you have an asshole, I mean opinion?

OP, you asked for suggestions you might consider next time.  Softer light and a less obscured view of the eyes was mine.  I especially like the last one.

Jan 13 13 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,743
Santa Ana, California, US


Whew. There's a lot going on there visually.
Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, just different/busier than the fashion images I'm used to looking at.

It is interesting, in that it is a visual that makes you sit there and look around for a bit, to take it all in, so it keeps the interest going.
Jan 13 13 07:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Williams
Posts: 3,282
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Some totally ripper enviro' portraits Dan.
Two thumbs up on my end.
Jan 13 13 08:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Julia Francesca
Posts: 2,357
Maumee, Ohio, US


wow, they all look great, nicely done!!
Jan 13 13 08:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Thanks everyone. All your input is much appreciated.
Jan 13 13 09:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Effective Image
Posts: 3,933
Lansing, Michigan, US


A couple of things...

You photographed her amid a bunch of art. It's not clear whether she creates, sells, or collects the art. Based on the images, I'm guessing she collects. (You show her at a table with scissors and what appears to be photographs.) I could be wrong...

Needed more light on her eyes. The glasses frames are blocking too much light. Maybe just rearrange the lighting, but then you might have positioned the lights to avoid reflections in the lenses. Maybe a shot with her just holding the glasses... or ask her if she has some old glasses you can knock the lenses out of. No lenses - no reflections.

The shots are okay... but coulda been better.

Just my opinion.
Jan 13 13 09:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,271
Phoenix, Arizona, US


John Allan wrote:
Whew. There's a lot going on there visually.
Not that that is necessarily a bad thing, just different/busier than the fashion images I'm used to looking at.

It is interesting, in that it is a visual that makes you sit there and look around for a bit, to take it all in, so it keeps the interest going.

yeah, there is a lot going on visually, i agree.

i think they're good, but it might be nice to also shoot some stuff on a simple white backdrop - then when you have an editorial series, even if it's just two shots, you can have one simple shot and one busy shot.

not only is white space nice in and of itself, but it also would make the busy shots look intentional. with these shots a viewer might think you weren't intentionally making them busy, you just went to her place and shot some photos without thinking much about the composition or backgrounds... but if you had some simpler shots, then viewers would be more likely to think, "oh, he did some simple portraits, and some environmental portraits... it was an intentional decision for those shots to be more busy, visually."

Jan 31 13 08:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,271
Phoenix, Arizona, US


the glasses are casting a shadow right on her eyes, too, especially in the first shot.
Jan 31 13 08:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,409
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


dave phoenix wrote:

yeah, there is a lot going on visually, i agree.

i think they're good, but it might be nice to also shoot some stuff on a simple white backdrop - then when you have an editorial series, even if it's just two shots, you can have one simple shot and one busy shot.

not only is white space nice in and of itself, but it also would make the busy shots look intentional. with these shots a viewer might think you weren't intentionally making them busy, you just went to her place and shot some photos without thinking much about the composition or backgrounds... but if you had some simpler shots, then viewers would be more likely to think, "oh, he did some simple portraits, and some environmental portraits... it was an intentional decision for those shots to be more busy, visually."

That is some good advice. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity how did you find this thread? It must have been in the 4-6 page by now. I am asking because this is the first time I linked to something I can track. I am amazed that even though it has been buried for a while I still get 20+ hits to the website every day from this thread.

Jan 31 13 08:48 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers