login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Can I make this more interesting? Search   Reply
Model
Nicole Packs
Posts: 257
New York, New York, US


This is pretty much the original shot.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/S … 383c6b.jpg

I enhance my own photos. Just minor things like color and contrast.
Not all photags get back to me right away with the final edits so when they give me freedom edit my own photos, I pretty much take them. I hate having to wait a month before using a photo, ya feels me?

But anyway this one has me stumped. Just a simple headshot to add to my port.
Its missing...something...but what?!

PS. I didn't put this in the sample forum.
Maybe I should have. But I wanted to hear opinions more than anything. Like when to know if something is meant for retouching or not. Thanks guys smile
Jan 16 13 07:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leighthenubian
Posts: 2,769
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain


The Good

Attractive girl

The Bad

Bad composition
Lacks contrast
WB is off
Bra Strap is showing
No light modelling at all...shadows are good
Jan 16 13 07:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Small things aside, the lighting on the subject is too flat and too bright. If you're going to stick with the white background, I'd make it really white, tone down the light on the model, and do some D&B for the contours ...

http://imageshack.us/a/img221/1759/fix2y.jpg

My preference would be for a darker background ...

http://imageshack.us/a/img26/3945/fixcm.jpg
Jan 16 13 08:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Joann Empson
Posts: 430
Walnut Creek, California, US


Here's my shot at it:

I increased the contrast a little and put some color in the background.

http://i.imgur.com/Re5GU.gif
Jan 16 13 08:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
365 Digitals Exposed
Posts: 749
Perris, California, US


I like peano's alot   the one with the green BG.
how about something like this.....
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/c708c08e24dff68cdf57e9b033fef802b78d6329b79396dab3c6825c96caeca76g.jpg
Jan 16 13 10:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,396
Fremont, California, US


Nicole Packs  wrote:
Like when to know if something is meant for retouching or not. Thanks guys smile

sounds like a solicited critique...

probably not meant for retouching. For a headshot, I'd go with a softer light source, not quite so overexposed (you can blow women out a little, but not quite this much).

Also, the image looks a little soft to me. How's the focus? Is the lens mushy? can you post a 100% crop of the eyes from the raw?

Jan 16 13 10:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Ashish Arora
Posts: 2,061
Delhi, Delhi, India


I quite prefer the original shot as it is, maybe bring up the blacks and neutrals down a bit so it looks a little less white-ish but it is pretty good - like a 10-15% more contrast and maybe a little sharpening to make it look more crisp - but that's it.

It's not a headshot per se, it looks shot more with an intention to like a jeans/shirt catalog image.

Often, it's important to know what the image is.

Just because you have PS, doesn't mean everything be retouched.

Headshots:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wnqRQ4aryGM/U … 32-web.jpg

http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest.com/up … 1wFe_b.jpg

http://cdn.robhasawebsite.com/wp-conten … 00x300.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/ … 4461_n.jpg

Copyright: Jenn Hoffman - she is also an excellent headshots photographer.
Jan 16 13 10:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chuckarelei
Posts: 9,315
Seattle, Washington, US


Nicole Packs  wrote:
This is pretty much the original shot.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/S … 383c6b.jpg

I enhance my own photos. Just minor things like color and contrast.
Not all photags get back to me right away with the final edits so when they give me freedom edit my own photos, I pretty much take them. I hate having to wait a month before using a photo, ya feels me?

But anyway this one has me stumped. Just a simple headshot to add to my port.
Its missing...something...but what?!

PS. I didn't put this in the sample forum.
Maybe I should have. But I wanted to hear opinions more than anything. Like when to know if something is meant for retouching or not. Thanks guys smile

This one is not. Save the time and effort to go shoot a new photo.

Jan 16 13 11:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,396
Fremont, California, US


played around with it a little. The complex hair shadows on the wall made it tough. Either incorporate the wall into your shot, or distance the subject from it.

my quick attempt (except the bra strap. i was lazy about removing it) Really, this is kind of like (forgive the expression) "polishing a turd". The retouching is way to heavy for what the image started as, and I probably went overboard a little. I think the direct light pushed me to want to glam it up, since usually direct front light isn't used except to be edgy.
http://i.imgur.com/lrwBj.gif

it's also not really a headshot, as there's probably a little too much glam.
Jan 17 13 12:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sonn
Posts: 337
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


You have good skin and not many wrinkles so i think it can pass without retouching.

Retouching should be based around the look your are going for.
Do you want it to look like a casual shot taken with a film camera?
Do you want it to look like it came out of a modern fashion look book?
Do you want it to look like an unretouched polaroid shot?

There is nothing major happening in the shot makeup/hair or styling wise.

I kind of like it as a polaroid, heres me with no retouching kind of shot.

Hard to say too much more without critiquing.
Jan 17 13 12:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
richy01
Posts: 153
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


remove the brastrap.....
Jan 17 13 05:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matt Schmidt
Posts: 3,677
Greensboro, North Carolina, US


Illuminate wrote:
The Good

Attractive girl

The Bad

Bad composition
Lacks contrast
WB is off
Bra Strap is showing
No light modelling at all...shadows are good

. . . Agree above ^^^

. . . also, technically I don't know if you can do anything . . .
the photographer might be able too since it's his work . . .

Jan 17 13 05:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leighthenubian
Posts: 2,769
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain


Mask Photo wrote:
played around with it a little. The complex hair shadows on the wall made it tough. Either incorporate the wall into your shot, or distance the subject from it.

my quick attempt (except the bra strap. i was lazy about removing it) Really, this is kind of like (forgive the expression) "polishing a turd". The retouching is way to heavy for what the image started as, and I probably went overboard a little. I think the direct light pushed me to want to glam it up, since usually direct front light isn't used except to be edgy.
http://i.imgur.com/lrwBj.gif

it's also not really a headshot, as there's probably a little too much glam.

And you felt like it was necessary to liquefy her face?? to a headshot??

Jan 17 13 06:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M K
Posts: 251
Athens, Attikí, Greece


365 Digitals Exposed wrote:
I like peano's alot   the one with the green BG.
how about something like this.....
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/c708c08e24dff68cdf57e9b033fef802b78d6329b79396dab3c6825c96caeca76g.jpg

great retouch! How did you achive the white circle in the background without getting any banding?

Jan 17 13 06:33 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nicole Packs
Posts: 257
New York, New York, US


richy01 wrote:
remove the brastrap.....

probably the best thing I can do for this photo right?
Hahaha thanks.

Jan 17 13 07:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
- Aina -
Posts: 734
Redlands, California, US


365 Digitals Exposed wrote:
I like peano's alot   the one with the green BG.
how about something like this.....
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/c708c08e24dff68cdf57e9b033fef802b78d6329b79396dab3c6825c96caeca76g.jpg

This one is the best IMO.

So.. If I post a picture on here, will I get a free edit? smile

Jan 17 13 08:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
365 Digitals Exposed
Posts: 749
Perris, California, US


MaL kap wrote:

great retouch! How did you achive the white circle in the background without getting any banding?

You have to extract the image and create a separated fill layer , double click it and go to gradient over lay, use circular gradient and play with it from that point on.

Here >>>>>
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/8bc0b610418792e648f54ffd09df6bc3a2f9e04ec17e6ee5bb3ab06c7f37a6916g.jpg

Jan 17 13 08:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
pellepiano
Posts: 2,268
Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden


Maybe she just needed a passport smile

http://www.lutzimages.com/thread_images/mm_eiffel.jpg
Jan 17 13 08:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Valenten Photography
Posts: 265
Balikpapan, Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia


lol about the passport, nice one smile

here's my quick attempt at it :

- contrast enhancement with levels and curves
- sharpness enhancement with high-pass filter
- little color correction with additional sepia tone

Indeed the picture is clearly too flat, but I disagree a bit with the comment saying it is too bright. I'm sure that if we had the RAW file it would be quite easy to correct. It's a bit bright but correct imho.

http://data.imagup.com/12/1173107573.jpg
Jan 17 13 08:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sal W Hanna
Posts: 6,614
Huntington Beach, California, US


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v665/c2clothing/NicolePacks_zps795669b5.jpg
Jan 17 13 09:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M K
Posts: 251
Athens, Attikí, Greece


365 Digitals Exposed wrote:

You have to extract the image and create a separated fill layer , double click it and go to gradient over lay, use circular gradient and play with it from that point on.

Here >>>>>
http://www.mediafire.com/conv/8bc0b610418792e648f54ffd09df6bc3a2f9e04ec17e6ee5bb3ab06c7f37a6916g.jpg

Thanks!!

Jan 17 13 09:36 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nicole Packs
Posts: 257
New York, New York, US


pellepiano wrote:
Maybe she just needed a passport smile

http://www.lutzimages.com/thread_images/mm_eiffel.jpg

Hahaha! I got a giggle fit out of this one

Jan 17 13 09:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,396
Fremont, California, US


Illuminate wrote:
And you felt like it was necessary to liquefy her face?? to a headshot??

like I said, I did more to this than is necessary for a headshot. The title of the thread was "Can i make this more interesting". I made it more interesting. The lighting was wrong for a headshot anyway, so i just messed around. LIKE I SAID.

Jan 17 13 11:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David J Martin
Posts: 456
Amberg, Bavaria, Germany


Illuminate wrote:
The Good

Attractive girl

The Bad

Bad composition
Lacks contrast
WB is off
Bra Strap is showing
No light modelling at all...shadows are good

+1

Jan 17 13 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Connery
Posts: 16,723
El Segundo, California, US


Moderator Warning!

Illuminate wrote:
The Good

Attractive girl

The Bad

The reminder:

No unsolicited critiques. If someone has not asked for your critical opinion of their work, please do not give one.

Jan 17 13 10:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
George Thomson
Posts: 698
Concord, California, US


Nicole Packs  wrote:
This is pretty much the original shot.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/S … 383c6b.jpg

I enhance my own photos. Just minor things like color and contrast.
Not all photags get back to me right away with the final edits so when they give me freedom edit my own photos, I pretty much take them. I hate having to wait a month before using a photo, ya feels me?

But anyway this one has me stumped. Just a simple headshot to add to my port.
Its missing...something...but what?!

PS. I didn't put this in the sample forum.
Maybe I should have. But I wanted to hear opinions more than anything. Like when to know if something is meant for retouching or not. Thanks guys smile

one thing you can experiment with is this:
http://illuminations.herokuapp.com/
(it loads for about 30 sec. but after that is very fast.)

load your image, and experiment with film-stock and fashion looks, etc.
when you like it, press "save"
(if JPEG times out, save as PNG)

Jan 18 13 03:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nicole Packs
Posts: 257
New York, New York, US


Photon Mayhem wrote:
one thing you can experiment with is this:
http://illuminations.herokuapp.com/
(it loads for about 30 sec. but after that is very fast.)

load your image, and experiment with film-stock and fashion looks, etc.
when you like it, press "save"
(if JPEG times out, save as PNG)

woah awesome! thanks!

Jan 18 13 05:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,452
Paris, Île-de-France, France


You just need to start by having nicer color settings. Now this is just a highly compressed jpg, so ideally you process from hi res raw.

There isn't much retouch needed, this is all Lightroom, I didn't open it in Photoshop.

http://www.neilsnape.com/retouched.jpg
Jan 18 13 06:13 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers