login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > just did a free wedding shoot... help!! Search   Reply
first12345last
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,425
Salem, Oregon, US


the wife arranged the photography for our wedding back in '91. i called the photographer afterwards and complained about the price on getting prints. he said "are you happy with how the pictures turned out?" and i was like "well, yeah". and "did your wife sign the agreement?" um, yeah. and that was the end of that.

the thing we do differently is have both bride and groom sign the agreement.

Looknsee Photography wrote:
If the husband complains, well, he got what he paid for.  If the photos were that important to him, he should hire a more experienced photographer the next time he gets married.

Jan 20 13 05:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeff Hopkins
Posts: 251
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


UUUUMMMM   you did this for free right?    unless they want to pay for them, you own the pics and the copyright, tell them you decide what they get, they cant tell you what you give them, grow some balls and stick up for yourself.
Jan 20 13 05:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhillipM
Posts: 6,460
Martin, Tennessee, US


Jeff Hopkins wrote:
UUUUMMMM  grow some balls.

Now this I gotta see...

Jan 20 13 05:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


Jeff Hopkins wrote:
UUUUMMMM   you did this for free right?    unless they want to pay for them, you own the pics and the copyright, tell them you decide what they get, they cant tell you what you give them, grow some balls and stick up for yourself.

Normally I would tend to agree but this is a small town where everyone probably knows everyone so some nuances might apply.  especially since the OP is 18 and working as a model and the B&G can afford a heli wedding in the Rockies. there might just be a bit of a power imbalance no matter how big the balls grow.

Jan 20 13 05:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Photographics NSW
Posts: 2
Gosford, New South Wales, Australia


i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

Don't blame uncle Bobs for your poor photographs, it's your fault!! for rushing through taking as many photos as possible without knowing what you are doing.
I didn't even know it was possible to take 546 shots in an hour, that's a shot every 10 seconds. No wonder they didn't turn out.
The first thing any photographer learns is that photography is all about lighting.

Never do anything without the relevant experience, a wedding is a big deal, you're lucky you haven't been sued to hire the helicopter etc again and for he whole thing to be reshot, that's why we have contracts, to protect us in case something happens to out equipment.

As for your reputation being ruined, as one of the other togs wrote, you have just started, so you don't have a reputation to ruin.

Give the client all of the photographs and move on. Use this as a huge learning curve.

Photography isn't about pointing a camera and going click, click, click. It's about the lighting, your camera settings and taking your time to compose each image before you press the shutter button.
Jan 20 13 05:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,425
Salem, Oregon, US


i've read about very experienced, business-savvy photographers who got sued. some clients are just a bit psycho. the trick is to discover that before they sign and send them to your enemy across town!

and i will say that we've run into far more trouble on free/cheapo projects than on ones where the client paid good money.

hopefully the OP can reach some sort of compromise with them and live to shoot another day. there's a guy in our town who has shot 700 weddings. this is only the first one. lots more to come (if she likes doing it).

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
Normally I would tend to agree but this is a small town where everyone probably knows everyone so some nuances might apply.  especially since the OP is 18 and working as a model and the B&G can afford a heli wedding in the Rockies. there might just be a bit of a power imbalance no matter how big the balls grow.

Jan 20 13 06:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AYC Photo
Posts: 122
Seattle, Washington, US


Haha, who cares. Just give them all the photo's as promised. Use the favorites for your personal portfolio and move on. If people have that much time to research who took lame poorly exposed photo's then you probably wouldn't want them as a client anyway.
Jan 20 13 06:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chronos Creations
Posts: 353
Benidorm, Valencia, Spain


Lol a lot of trolling on the photographer/model here, isn't there! Poor girl doesn't deserve that in my opinion, not from what I read!


Here's how I see it.

The bride knew the OP, and knew she was inexperienced. She went ahead and used her as the Free photographer with the consent of the groom.

If they can afford a mountain top wedding, helicopter, etc, then they could have afforded a professional photographer if they wanted to. In fact, 2 photographers and 5 assistants!But maybe that wasn't important to them!
I have met many people who just love the photos no matter what. 30 to 40 good shots within one hour isn't sub par in my opinion. 500 is a bit on the high side for an hour but you'd expect a bit of spraying from an inexperienced photographer.

Sugar I don't think you're in a pickle. I think you should go ahead with what you agreed on doing, which was time for all the photos, but I think you'll find the groom will be happy, even with the amount of bad ones. Those are memories too after all. Photographers do tend to go into their own worlds when describing what your memories of a wedding should be like. Some grooms I know love to keep the funny ones in, maybe not the overexposed ones though wink, of course that conflicts with the brides understanding of her wedding! hehe

I hope everything goes well for you! Don't pay attention to the obvious trolls.

PS: No one will judge you on your first wedding, just like no one will judge you on your first photoshoot. You had to start somewhere.
Jan 20 13 06:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,425
Salem, Oregon, US


anyone who shoots a wedding without a contract is f*cking insane. and you can get a usable contract for here in the US for $10 (the cost of 40 mcnuggets). even with a contract you can get sued/hassled but it sure helps to have it in writing with the bride and groom's signature. weddings are a serious business. people can get sued.

doesn't matter if you're doing it for free. if you are the official photographer then it's all on you. otherwise just go as a guest, no pressure and take a few snaps for your portfolio while enjoying the trip.

Chronos Productions wrote:
Lol a lot of trolling on the photographer/model here, isn't there! Poor girl doesn't deserve that in my opinion, not from what I read!

Jan 20 13 06:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 6,144
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Not very good decision made by the couple.

They should have taken 5 free photographers.

It's free any way...

This is not meant to be an insult to you, the OP, but a lapse in judgement of the couple.

You could be the best of the 5, but having 4 others for security is a wise choice.

It is called BACK UP

.
Jan 20 13 06:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,425
Salem, Oregon, US


she said the helicopter only had room for one photographer.

Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
Not very good decision made by the couple.

They should have taken 5 free photographers.

Jan 20 13 06:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
redbanana
Posts: 777
Lexington, Kentucky, US


I'm not really even going to jump into this amazing cluster F of a situation OP backed herself in. Just give them everything, it's your first wedding it should get better from here so no reputation to ruin.
Jan 20 13 06:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 6,144
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


twoharts wrote:
she said the helicopter only had room for one photographer.

The more insane wrong decision to tag a freebie.

Spend $$$ on the helicopter and scrimp on the photographer.

(or send another helicopter with 7 free photographers, if the groom is dripping with helicopters...)

.

Jan 20 13 06:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
redbanana
Posts: 777
Lexington, Kentucky, US


twoharts wrote:
anyone who shoots a wedding without a contract is f*cking insane. and you can get a usable contract for here in the US for $10 (the cost of 40 mcnuggets). even with a contract you can get sued/hassled but it sure helps to have it in writing with the bride and groom's signature. weddings are a serious business. people can get sued.

doesn't matter if you're doing it for free. if you are the official photographer then it's all on you. otherwise just go as a guest, no pressure and take a few snaps for your portfolio while enjoying the trip.


Yep and kind of insulting to those of us who have put in years of work as second shooters or assistants to other Pro's. however at least I've never found myself in this situation because I knew going in what was needed to keep my ass out of the fire.

Jan 20 13 06:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chronos Creations
Posts: 353
Benidorm, Valencia, Spain


I did an Irish Gipsy engagement party once. 500 edited shots and videos for my highest paid job. Just me and my assistant photographer.

Did some great shots, and got very good money, but after that experience I don't think I will EVER take on a wedding. Everyone shouting at me, every kid and adult trying to aggressively hog the camera.

Luckily I gave them the pics and they gave the money. Never heard from them again, I don't think they even bothered to learn my name lol.

Weddings are complex, and unless you are super duperly experienced, you will need help from 1, 2, 3 assistant/ photographers
Jan 20 13 06:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tom Brooks
Posts: 1,444
Toledo, Ohio, US


i'm curious. there are a ton of threads on here discussing weddings...the pitfalls...the shortcomings...the realities of shooting a wedding...which you did not read before the wedding because had you read them you would have encouraged the bride to hire a real photographer.  so now you come to the forum to ask what to do after the wedding was shot?  isn't that kind of like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped?
Jan 20 13 06:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Cole Morrison
Posts: 3,958
Portland, Oregon, US


They didnt pay, they dont get a choice how much they receive.
Jan 20 13 06:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Denise
Posts: 1,911
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

Normally I would tend to agree but this is a small town where everyone probably knows everyone so some nuances might apply.  especially since the OP is 18 and working as a model and the B&G can afford a heli wedding in the Rockies. there might just be a bit of a power imbalance no matter how big the balls grow.

Why do you keep saying she is in a small town? Edmonton's population is over 800,000 (bigger than Gatineau), not a small town!
OP, lesson learned, hopefully.

Jan 20 13 06:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,452
Orlando, Florida, US


You're 18.

You really don't have a professional reputation to ruin.


Don't sweat it.  Don't do this again.
Jan 20 13 06:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MKPhoto
Posts: 5,665
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


They asked for all images. You agreed.

Now you give all images. Maybe suggest which are the good ones.

Done.
Jan 20 13 06:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
name removed3
Posts: 264
Boston, Massachusetts, US


shooting weddings are a pain, and doing it for free is just torture.
Jan 20 13 06:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
intense_puppy
Posts: 864
Brighton, England, United Kingdom


Sugar Sharai wrote:
unsatisfied clients.

You did a shoot for free with no contract.

So, they are not "clients".

Jan 20 13 06:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TouchofEleganceStudios
Posts: 5,169
Upland, California, US


Quick. pack what you can in two small suit cases. Move to another country. Change your name. Start life over..........

Or, take your medicine and bite the bullett. By your own words it could not get much worse. Take it as a learning experience. Now go back to modeling. Seriously take a few years shooting and learning until you are ready to try it and then .... first work as a second shooter.... learn about lighting in shooting weddings. There is a lot to learn.
Jan 20 13 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photo212grapher
Posts: 1,545
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Delete your mistakes. Once gone, they are gone. What can he do? Not pay you? Include ever shot of him with a stupid expression, but otherwise technically fine.

If you want to make your point in spades, but come across like a jerk. Slap a huge logo over the images.

Register your copyright by sending in a DVD of thumbnails to the Copyright Office.  Next, remind them you own the copyright. They cannot copy, print, publish, or distribute any photo without your written permission. To do so could subject them to large penalties.

Next tell them you are willing to negotiate. Lastly, deal with the bride. She is probably much more reasonable and willing to hear your point of view.
Jan 20 13 07:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
moving pictures
Posts: 662
Los Angeles, California, US


Sugar Sharai wrote:
OK, so i agreed to a free wedding shoot, on a mountain top, helicopter flight paid for, and a ride home, for a WHOLE disc of EVERY single photo i took.. I felt uncomfortable about this, and explained this once I got to meet the husband (the one who proclaims he wants EVERY photo), on the day of.

I, being new to it, and realizing this is my first gig, and the bride KNEW this as she worked with me as a model on the FIRST day i received my camera.

So, I figured being as I am only 18, the bride is the same, I didnt want to make a contract, so instead discussed over the phone in great detail as to what shots she wanted to include for sure. I got those shots no problem, however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

however did i mention this was free, and I tried to tell the groom I was not comfortable giving all of the bad shots, he said he didnt care.

my concern is between making myself look bad, if they decide to alter, or  upload bad examples of my work. and I am also concerned of now having unsatisfied clients.

he said he wanted all of them for memories, however he doesnt realize how much those memories are worth to my reputation as a photographer, and as money out of my pocket, and hours spent editing those 546 shots so they dont embarrass me.

anyone have any suggestions?


also, they just decided to tell me NOT to upload my photos, or tag them on facebook, UNTIL they have recieved every single photo..

now i am very weary on what to do!!

Stop whining.  You made a verbal deal with them, now honor it.

They agreed to transport you in return for you photographing their wedding and giving all the images.  They lived up to their side of the bargin - as you admit - now you live up to your side.  If you don't like to give out all your photos, tough shit, you agreed to it.  Next time don't agree to it.

As for worrying about a reputation, bad photos aren't going to sink you as fast as a word of mouth that you lie to people by not honoring agreements with them.

So send them all the photos, and post whichever you like.

Jan 20 13 08:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


Denise wrote:

Why do you keep saying she is in a small town? Edmonton's population is over 800,000 (bigger than Gatineau), not a small town!
OP, lesson learned, hopefully.

You should understand how MM works better by now. Read her profile text. She lives in Chilliwack (not even 1/10th the size of Edmonton) and lists Edmonton. Just like I live in an even smaller town and list gatineau and Ottawa because they are the markets.

Jan 20 13 08:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


photo212grapher wrote:
Delete your mistakes. Once gone, they are gone. What can he do? Not pay you? Include ever shot of him with a stupid expression, but otherwise technically fine.

If you want to make your point in spades, but come across like a jerk. Slap a huge logo over the images.

Register your copyright by sending in a DVD of thumbnails to the Copyright Office.  Next, remind them you own the copyright. They cannot copy, print, publish, or distribute any photo without your written permission. To do so could subject them to large penalties.

Next tell them you are willing to negotiate. Lastly, deal with the bride. She is probably much more reasonable and willing to hear your point of view.

OP lives in Canada (as has been pointed out many times in this thread).  For your edification, if you send a CD to the Copyright Office in Canada they will return it to you.  More to the point, what is the necessity of reminding someone you own the copyright if you are suggesting deleting the mistakes? This whole thread is about the OP NOT wanting to give all the images.

Jan 20 13 08:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BTHPhoto
Posts: 6,786
Fairbanks, Alaska, US


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

You should understand how MM works better by now. Read her profile text. She lives in Chilliwack (not even 1/10th the size of Edmonton) and lists Edmonton. Just like I live in an even smaller town and list gatineau and Ottawa because they are the markets.

The small town excuse is bullshit.  I grew up and participated in my first wedding assisting a professional photographer, after he decided I was ready in a town of 35 households.  The fact is, she ruined someone's wedding photos by not having the guts to say "that's out of my league, you need to find someone who knows what they're doing."  I doubt you'd be defending her so diligently if she was a 40 year old male newbie who ruined someone's wedding photos.

Jan 20 13 08:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


BTHPhoto wrote:

The small town excuse is bullshit.  I grew up and participated in my first wedding assisting a professional photographer, after he decided I was ready in a town of 35 households.  The fact is, she ruined someone's wedding photos by not having the guts to say "that's out of my league, you need to find someone who knows what they're doing."  I doubt you'd be defending her so diligently if she was a 40 year old male newbie who ruined someone's wedding photos.

so you assisted someone. great. that means it wasnt your decision or reputation at stake.  please try again.  You appear quick to post and loath to read. The OP has not said she ruined the wedding photos.  She said she got some good images and didnt want to give them the bad ones. How the duck you can conclude she ruined them when a) she got good ones and b) they wanted the ones she said were not satisfactory.  srsly.

more to the point...this isnt a matter of guts its a matter of inexperience. I did the same when a young male photographer in NYC posted about a clusterfuck.  Theres a diff between not knowing when to take a stand and knowing but not doing it.  When you dont have facts please dont attack me by claiming I'm a white knight lol.  just grow up a bit?  or cover the cornflakes when you leave the room?

Jan 20 13 08:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BTHPhoto
Posts: 6,786
Fairbanks, Alaska, US


intense_puppy wrote:

You did a shoot for free with no contract.

So, they are not "clients".

Bullshit.  She made someone a promise that she'd capture their once-in-a-lifetime event.  No one with any integrity will make a commitment like that then hide behind "oh it was free with no contract" when they screw it up.  Then again, no one with any integrity would make that kind of commitment without knowing they're capable of pulling it off, either.

Jan 20 13 08:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


BTHPhoto wrote:

Bullshit.  She made someone a promise that she'd capture their once-in-a-lifetime event.  No one with any integrity will make a commitment like that then hide behind "oh it was free with no contract" when they screw it up.  Then again, no one with any integrity would make that kind of commitment without knowing they're capable of pulling it off, either.

again you do it. where did the OP say she was hiding behind free no contract? she just doesnt want to give them the out takes. please. do us all a favour and jump on eBay and get a dozen cornflake bowl covers, thanks smile  Yes intense_puppy is mistaken but you should attack the dog, not the OP.

Jan 20 13 08:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BTHPhoto
Posts: 6,786
Fairbanks, Alaska, US


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
so you assisted someone. great. that means it wasnt your decision or reputation at stake.

It means I was responsible enough to learn what I was doing before I made a commitment to deliver on a once-in-a-lifetime event.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
please try again.  You appear quick to post and loath to read. The OP has not said she ruined the wedding photos.  She said she got some good images and didnt want to give them the bad ones. How the duck you can conclude she ruined them when a) she got good ones and b) they wanted the ones she said were not satisfactory.  srsly.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
I got those shots no problem, however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

I beg to differ. Perhaps your standards for delivering what you promise are just different than mine.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
I did the same when a young male photographer in NYC posted about a clusterfuck.

You mean you excused his irresponsibility by repeatedly pointing out that he lives in a small town?  NYC?

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
Theres a diff between not knowing when to take a stand and knowing but not doing it.

True, but there are some things that you should have learned by the time you're 18 years old.  One of those is don't make promises you can't keep.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
When you dont have facts please dont attack me by claiming I'm a white knight lol.

You said it, not me.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
just grow up a bit?

And perhaps your standards for maturity are just different than mine as well.  Accountability is a characteristic of maturity.  Making excuses for lack of accountability isn't.

Jan 20 13 09:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


Everyone's at fault here... the girl who should NEVER have taken the 'job', and the idiots who asked her to do it in the first place.
Jan 20 13 09:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vito
Posts: 4,169
Brooklyn, New York, US


twoharts wrote:
i've never done a wedding for free. charged $1,500 on my first one.

you did this one for free and they're hassling you? sheesh. there's the reason not to do it for free.


That may b the only hing saving her from a lawsuit. If she charged and didn't deliver what was "agreed" on, she'd be in trouble. As it is, it doesn't sound that she is ready to be photographing weddings. She doesn't understand that the photographs are important memories to the couple. (She says this upstream but I can't do multiple quotes on the iPad).

Jan 20 13 09:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Blue Ash Film Group
Posts: 9,458
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Sugar Sharai wrote:
OK, so i agreed to a free wedding shoot, on a mountain top, helicopter flight paid for, and a ride home, for a WHOLE disc of EVERY single photo i took.. I felt uncomfortable about this, and explained this once I got to meet the husband (the one who proclaims he wants EVERY photo), on the day of.

I, being new to it, and realizing this is my first gig, and the bride KNEW this as she worked with me as a model on the FIRST day i received my camera.

So, I figured being as I am only 18, the bride is the same, I didnt want to make a contract, so instead discussed over the phone in great detail as to what shots she wanted to include for sure. I got those shots no problem, however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

however did i mention this was free, and I tried to tell the groom I was not comfortable giving all of the bad shots, he said he didnt care.

my concern is between making myself look bad, if they decide to alter, or  upload bad examples of my work. and I am also concerned of now having unsatisfied clients.

he said he wanted all of them for memories, however he doesnt realize how much those memories are worth to my reputation as a photographer, and as money out of my pocket, and hours spent editing those 546 shots so they dont embarrass me.

anyone have any suggestions?


also, they just decided to tell me NOT to upload my photos, or tag them on facebook, UNTIL they have recieved every single photo..

now i am very weary on what to do!!

I'm confused about the first bolded part, and how the age comes into it. Seeing as how you didn't know how to properly take the photos, much less run the "business" part, a contract sure would have been a good thing. I'm sure you have learned that lesson.

The second part in bold has me astounded. How can you possibly take 546 images in an hour? That's averaging roughly 9 images/ minute. I have never taken that many images in a whole day of shooting anything, including several weddings with "full day" coverage.

As far as what to do at this point, it would probably be best to live up to whatever agreements you made.

Jan 20 13 09:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,533
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


BTHPhoto wrote:

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
so you assisted someone. great. that means it wasnt your decision or reputation at stake.

(1)It means I was responsible enough to learn what I was doing before I made a commitment to deliver on a once-in-a-lifetime event.

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
please try again.  You appear quick to post and loath to read. The OP has not said she ruined the wedding photos.  She said she got some good images and didnt want to give them the bad ones. How the duck you can conclude she ruined them when a) she got good ones and b) they wanted the ones she said were not satisfactory.  srsly.

Sugar Sharai wrote:
I got those shots no problem, however a lot of the photos i took were ruined due to lighting test shots, and over/under exposed photos.

i took 546 shots in an hour.   due to "uncle bobs" constantly in the background, NO one paying attention to being photographed, (causing squinty eyes on the snowy mountain top, bad shadows, and bad expressions, and lack of an organizational ceremony. ) and so the photos i got that were decent would probably consist of 30-40 shots worth salvaging..

(2) I beg to differ. Perhaps your standards for delivering what you promise are just different than mine.

(3)

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
I did the same when a young male photographer in NYC posted about a clusterfuck.

You mean you excused his irresponsibility by repeatedly pointing out that he lives in a small town?  NYC?

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
Theres a diff between not knowing when to take a stand and knowing but not doing it.

(4) True, but there are some things that you should have learned by the time you're 18 years old.  One of those is don't make promises you can't keep.

(5)

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
When you dont have facts please dont attack me by claiming I'm a white knight lol.

You said it, not me.


(5) And perhaps your standards for maturity are just different than mine as well.  Accountability is a characteristic of maturity.  Making excuses for lack of accountability isn't.

ok. you wont give up so I'll have to go along with the extra long post and reply.
for the first one it means nothing. did you have opportunities to shoot weddings and turn them down? you invent facts by the dozen to support your conclusions

for the 2nd she said she got the shots. there is no evidence from anyone that the B&G were unhappy. so your point is pure yellow cornflakes

for the 3rd again you have nothing to say please refrain from attacking the person (me). Do I really have to CAM you? I' rather not.

for the 4th, again with this? There is no evidence she failed to keep. Instead, there is evidence the groom wants the out takes as well.

for the 5th, you dont have to use the WN word to be claiming it. Everyone saw what you did. Use some of the experience and maturity you claim you have and admit it, lol

for the 6th I have no clue what you are talking about. you appear to be confusing me and the OP. can you slow down take a deep breath, get a fresh bowl of cornflakes or something?  OP is not making excuses for lack of accountability.  She just doesnt wanna give the out takes because they look bad lol.

I have to be up at 6AM so feel free to rant and rave all you want. I'll be asleep smile

and in the morning i wont have cornflakes. I'll have a bowl of Vector after my workout. Nobody pisses in vector.

Jan 20 13 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,398
Fremont, California, US


I didn't bother reading the rest of it because there's only one answer:

You agreed to do something that was out of your depth, and you fucked it up, and you're worried that having people see it will affect your photo career?

The fact that you went in so damn blind is going to do WAY more damage to your career than so-so wedding pictures that nobody will see because of all the uncle bobs.

Are you going to waive the contract every time you don't feel like pulling one out? If so, you're going to get bitten in the ass over and over again.

The best thing you can do now is deliver the discs with metadata scrubbed and ask them to please never associate your name with the images.
Jan 20 13 09:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Denise
Posts: 1,911
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

You should understand how MM works better by now. Read her profile text. She lives in Chilliwack (not even 1/10th the size of Edmonton) and lists Edmonton. Just like I live in an even smaller town and list gatineau and Ottawa because they are the markets.

Chilliwack is part of the lower mainland of BC, so an even greater population! Anyway, the point is her market doesn't matter because it appears she has no reputation to damage, being so new. She took on a job she had no business accepting and now that's it's blown up in her face she just needs to bite the bullet and live up to her agreement. I really have no sympathy for her clients either - I guess they got what they paid for!

Jan 21 13 12:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 42,652
Salinas, California, US


Sugar Sharai wrote:
...  now i am very weary on what to do!!

I read your post, and those of others.  Lot's of "fail" on all sides here!

The answer at this point is that it really doesn't matter.  Don't sweat it!

First of all, the couple paid for a helicopter.  Yet they did not hire a professional photographer, but instead asked you to shoot their wedding for free.  That tells me a lot right there about their priorities.  You could have turned them down.  Perhaps it would have been less stressful if you assisted on a wedding shoot first? 

There was no contract, and no money exchanged.  There is little to hold you responsible.  So my suggestion is to give them all the images and count this as a lesson learned.  I really feel for you!  For many years I used to shoot weddings, and I stopped.  Would you like to know my experiences and why I no longer shoot weddings?  You are welcome to write me a message. 

Learn from this and do what you think is best.   Good luck to you!   smile

Jan 21 13 12:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Solas
Posts: 9,486
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Edit..wow at this thread. just plain wow..
Jan 21 13 01:12 am  Link  Quote 
first12345last   Search   Reply