login info join!
Forums > Newbie Forum > Photos not delivered Search   Reply
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


I had a shoot done almost 2 months ago (he said they'd be ready in 2 weeks at most) and I have yet to receive my photos. I have sent 2 very polite messages asking about the status of my photos. I received one message back saying they would be ready on the 5th of this month but nothing. I've since sent an additional message asking if he didn't have time to photo shop/fix them if he can send them to me in raw form and I will have someone do them. Still nothing. So what else can I do short of going to his studio lol
Jan 22 13 04:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
optimistic negatives
Posts: 83
Wichita, Kansas, US


Dreamchaser2u wrote:
I had a shoot done almost 2 months ago (he said they'd be ready in 2 weeks at most) and I have yet to receive my photos. I have sent 2 very polite messages asking about the status of my photos. I received one message back saying they would be ready on the 5th of this month but nothing. I've since sent an additional message asking if he didn't have time to photo shop/fix them if he can send them to me in raw form and I will have someone do them. Still nothing. So what else can I do short of going to his studio lol

did you pay him?

Jan 22 13 04:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


No it was a TF shoot.
Jan 22 13 04:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FlirtynFun Photography
Posts: 12,838
Houston, Texas, US


much the same as any other sort of barter deal, you sometimes get what you pay for. In this case, nothing. I'd move on and do better research with the folks you work with in the future. If you want to do TF with someone, contact models he/she has worked with in the past and ask their experiences.
Jan 22 13 05:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,011
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Dreamchaser2u wrote:
I had a shoot done almost 2 months ago (he said they'd be ready in 2 weeks at most) and I have yet to receive my photos. I have sent 2 very polite messages asking about the status of my photos. I received one message back saying they would be ready on the 5th of this month but nothing. I've since sent an additional message asking if he didn't have time to photo shop/fix them if he can send them to me in raw form and I will have someone do them. Still nothing. So what else can I do short of going to his studio lol

Go to his studio! Raise HELL!

Jan 22 13 05:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
salvatori.
Posts: 3,324
State College, Pennsylvania, US


OP,

My reply includes no judgement; just my thoughts and questions...

I didn't look at your portfolio and this isn't a critique of any type. As long as you feel the session was a good one, then maybe there is a reason he hasn't yet delivered.

How many (usable) images did the two of you expect to get? If it was only a couple, that shouldn't be too difficult, but if it was a really high number, he might be embarrassed that there weren't enough good shots to work with. Also, there is the possibility that his focus was off (sometimes looking at a small camera screen can't show this) and he just feels bad and doesn't want to admit that he screwed up.

Also, it was a tf shoot. And I am a photographer that believes that you should both get something of value from the session. At this point, neither of you has that. Maybe something came up that he is afraid to tell you - that he got a paying gig that he couldn't turn down because he just got a huge medical bill or something.

Lots of possibilities. And I will say this. For me at least, it can take a looooong time to retouch a few images, and there is a possibility that he isn't fast at post work.

My advice would be to approach him (via email) and be VERY understanding so you can see what the problem might be. Then you can work towards an equitable solution that will benefit both of you.
Jan 22 13 05:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photodorset
Posts: 845
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom


I would always suggest that a model takes a memory stick to a shoot and then can ask for copies of all the images. Even if they are only supplied at a low resolution they can be used by the model on her web portfolio which is the main reason she does TF.

I always give the model all the shots and sometimes (if I have one) supply the stick afterall, the images that shows off the photographer's skills at their best are not necessarily the ones that show the model off at her best or fits the gap in her port.
Jan 22 13 05:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
salvatori.
Posts: 3,324
State College, Pennsylvania, US


photodorset wrote:
I would always suggest that a model takes a memory stick to a shoot and then can ask for copies of all the images. Even if they are only supplied at a low resolution they can be used by the model on her web portfolio which is the main reason she does TF.

This wouldn't work as most photographers don't want unretouched images out there.

I don't know any models who want plain out-of-camera pics for their portfolio, and your mentality that an image from a trade session is allowed to be of lesser quality than a paid one is just plain wrong.

Jan 22 13 05:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 35,225
Columbus, Ohio, US


salvatori. wrote:
This wouldn't work as most photographers don't want unretouched images out there.

I don't know any models who want plain out-of-camera pics for their portfolio, and your mentality that an image from a trade session is allowed to be of lesser quality than a paid one is just plain wrong.

+100
Not the greatest of notions. If a model told me she wanted to do that before a shoot, the shoot wouldn't happen.

OP, the reality is the photographer probably muffed the shoot, and many won't be forthcoming about that. Rather than be up front & honest, they will just disappear into the cracks of the floor.

Showing up at his studio might not be the greatest notion either.

Jan 22 13 05:28 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lynn Elizabeth
Posts: 1,336
Coral Springs, Florida, US


Sorry OP, some people just suck. It has happened to me a couple times. I never got images or even a response to messages. My advice is just forget it and move on to someone else.
Jan 22 13 05:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Azimuth Arts
Posts: 1,374
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


photodorset wrote:
I would always suggest that a model takes a memory stick to a shoot and then can ask for copies of all the images. Even if they are only supplied at a low resolution they can be used by the model on her web portfolio which is the main reason she does TF.

I always give the model all the shots and sometimes (if I have one) supply the stick afterall, the images that shows off the photographer's skills at their best are not necessarily the ones that show the model off at her best or fits the gap in her port.

That;s not going to work for most photographers.  First, there are very few occasions where I would release all the images from a shoot - it would be only for high-paying clients.  For a model portfolio shoot on trade all of my images go through some form of adjustment in Lightroom, and usually retouching as well.

But most importantly is I have no way to transfer images at most shoots. I don't have a computer with me at 90% of my shoots, and I am not handing over my CF card with the RAW files that's for sure.

The only thing the OP can do is continue to ask the photographer for the images.  If email and phone is not working you could send a registered letter.  If you signed a release and it indicated that in exchange for the release you received consideration you could remind the photographer that no such consideration has been received and as such the release may not be valid, and you would challenge any use of the photos.  But for that you'd need to consult a lawyer as the specific language on the release and the jurisdiction you are in will impact yours and his rights, so that may be an empty threat.

Ultimately, if you have to wait very much longer chances are you will never get them, and you will need to write it off and move on.  It's not fair, but a reality when doing trade.  Try to do a bit more research on the next photographer to make sure they can be trusted to deliver images.

There comes a point where your efforts will be best focused on setting up the next shoot instead of wasting time tracking down a photographer who is not delivering.

Just my $0.02

Jan 22 13 05:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jason B FORBEs
Posts: 163
New York, New York, US


If his work is "amazing" and you felt like you took "amazing" photos, then i'd maybe go to his studio to contact him about the photos (in a very peaceful way of course). If that still doesn't work, then i'd just forget about it and move on. Next time ask for references before working with anyone. Paid or tf. References will save you a lot of time. Goodluck next time!
Jan 22 13 06:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


Next time contact references- do your homework. Its a similar story time and time again. Folks- can't lie- I have delivered pictures in 2-3 days time. Either they are booked with wedding and so forth that they can't get to your pictures or they are bad apples. Thats why check check!
Jan 22 13 06:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
EdwardKristopher
Posts: 3,338
Tempe, Arizona, US


Hey there!

I'm sorry to say, yet you probably won't be getting anything from him!  :-(

Don't worry about it and move on.  There are many reputable photographers out here that would be willing to shoot you and give you what you had agreed to.

I wish you the Best of Success in all of your future endeavors out here!

Kindest regards,
Edward
Jan 22 13 06:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


FlirtynFun Photography wrote:
much the same as any other sort of barter deal, you sometimes get what you pay for. In this case, nothing. I'd move on and do better research with the folks you work with in the future. If you want to do TF with someone, contact llamas he/she has worked with in the past and ask their experiences.

He came very highly recommended so I did not see this coming. Since then I have worked with several others and took the time to get their persona information not just the address of the shoot. Lesson learned smile

Jan 23 13 02:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


salvatori. wrote:
OP,

My reply includes no judgement; just my thoughts and questions...

I didn't look at your portfolio and this isn't a critique of any type. As long as you feel the session was a good one, then maybe there is a reason he hasn't yet delivered.

How many (usable) images did the two of you expect to get? If it was only a couple, that shouldn't be too difficult, but if it was a really high number, he might be embarrassed that there weren't enough good shots to work with. Also, there is the possibility that his focus was off (sometimes looking at a small camera screen can't show this) and he just feels bad and doesn't want to admit that he screwed up.

Also, it was a tf shoot. And I am a photographer that believes that you should both get something of value from the session. At this point, neither of you has that. Maybe something came up that he is afraid to tell you - that he got a paying gig that he couldn't turn down because he just got a huge medical bill or something.

Lots of possibilities. And I will say this. For me at least, it can take a looooong time to retouch a few images, and there is a possibility that he isn't fast at post work.

My advice would be to approach him (via email) and be VERY understanding so you can see what the problem might be. Then you can work towards an equitable solution that will benefit both of you.

We agreed on 5 edited photos and when he sent me all the unedited ones he told me which ones he was going to use for himself. I picked 2 of the same photos lol

I do not have his email address or phone number so I've been contacting him through MM but do know where the studio (shared) is so perhaps a hard copy letter delivered to that address with some simple questions and a finish/delivery date.

Thank you for your feedback smile

Jan 23 13 02:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


Drew Smith Photography wrote:

Go to his studio! Raise HELL!

Well I'm small with big attitude and I really wanted to avoid doing this. My bullfrog mouth just might get my tadpole ass in trouble but I've considered just going there on the nights he may be shooting (it's his only studio) and politely corner him.

Jan 23 13 02:35 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


photodorset wrote:
I would always suggest that a model takes a memory stick to a shoot and then can ask for copies of all the images. Even if they are only supplied at a low resolution they can be used by the model on her web portfolio which is the main reason she does TF.

I always give the model all the shots and sometimes (if I have one) supply the stick afterall, the images that shows off the photographer's skills at their best are not necessarily the ones that show the model off at her best or fits the gap in her port.

That is a wonderful idea but I'm thinking with this fella I would be out not just the photos but a memory stick as well. I did however bring one to my last shoot and that photographer is giving me all the photos as well as 20 finished photos.

Thank you smile

Jan 23 13 02:38 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dreamchaser2u
Posts: 24
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada


EdwardKristopher wrote:
Hey there!

I'm sorry to say, yet you probably won't be getting anything from him!  :-(

Don't worry about it and move on.  There are many reputable photographers out here that would be willing to shoot you and give you what you had agreed to.

I wish you the Best of Success in all of your future endeavors out here!

Kindest regards,
Edward

Thank you and I have already said...lesson learned smile

Jan 23 13 02:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Maybe he just wasn't happy with the results of the shoot and has lost interest?

Unfortunately, sometimes you get what you pay for, and with no contract, no written agreement and no payment made, that can sometimes be not very much.

If you really think that a couple of these images might be a major asset to your portfolio then your last shot could be to offer to pay to have a couple of them retouched. Maybe the prospect of earning a few $ will motivate him to reply to your messages?

Other than that, move on and chalk it up to experience.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com
Jan 23 13 03:37 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers