login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > designers are a main reason for anorexia! Search   Reply
123last
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


Jan 24 13 06:35 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


anorexia is a disease. xnumber of pounds is weight.
someone can be skinny and not have anorexia, and someone can be big and have anorexia.

your point being...?
Jan 24 13 06:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


Moni B wrote:
JUST READ A LOCAL CASTING FOR A MODEL REQUEST.

5'9 min and under 115 pounds?!? You want this girl to be anorexic! It is sad that the reason women starve themselves is because designers request such disgust and unhealthy requirements. Unbelievable.

its because their runway is made out of cardboard and can't support more weight

Jan 24 13 06:40 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Moni B wrote:
JUST READ A LOCAL CASTING FOR A MODEL REQUEST.

5'9 min and under 115 pounds?!? You want this girl to be anorexic! It is sad that the reason women starve themselves is because designers request such disgust and unhealthy requirements. Unbelievable.

No.

Some people's body frames support that, without starvation... just because someone looks this way doesn't mean they're anorexic or unhealthy -- especially if the model is not finished developing... many fashion models are 15-17 years old...

It's very sad to see this kind of judgment, often from people who don't fit the casting/industry mold.

Unless someone is a medical professional, people shouldn't be using medical terms like "anorexic" to describe others, anyway.  You don't know, and it's often very inaccurate and just plain insulting.

Jan 24 13 06:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Ian
Posts: 333
Columbus, Ohio, US


Moni B wrote:
JUST READ A LOCAL CASTING FOR A MODEL REQUEST.

5'9 min and under 115 pounds?!? You want this girl to be anorexic! It is sad that the reason women starve themselves is because designers request such disgust and unhealthy requirements. Unbelievable.

Sorry you are too short/heavy for the casting...not nice to insult others.

Jan 24 13 06:42 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


also... insulting an industry you're trying to break into? smart.
Jan 24 13 06:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photos 4 The Memories
Posts: 1,279
Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US


popcorn
Is it to soon to ask for a mercy lock?
Jan 24 13 06:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,953
Albany, New York, US


They want walking coat-hangers because they feel the outfit designs they put together "hang" better on those body types.
Jan 24 13 06:50 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO TOOK THIS POST TO HEART, UM GET OUT OF YOUR FEELINGS. IT IS THE DAM TRUTH THAT THE REQUEST FOR SUCH OUTLANDISH MODEL TYPES WHEN EVERY BODY TYPE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED. IT SHOULD FIRST START WITH THE DESIGNERS IN MY OPINION RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.
Jan 24 13 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Alivia Autumn
Posts: 610
Albuquerque, New Mexico, US


Moni B wrote:
JUST READ A LOCAL CASTING FOR A MODEL REQUEST.

5'9 min and under 115 pounds?!? You want this girl to be anorexic! It is sad that the reason women starve themselves is because designers request such disgust and unhealthy requirements. Unbelievable.

If you go to www.newmodels.com it explains why fashion models have the retirements they do

Nfl has physical requirements.
Being a basketball player does.
Gymnasts are usually very short

Sure you see people complain about it.  But its usually out of jealousy that they will never be.

The great thing is you can still go far in the industry without doing fashion and run way.  Just depends on how hard you want to work.

Jan 24 13 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Moni B wrote:
FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO TOOK THIS POST TO HEART, UM GET OUT OF YOUR FEELINGS. IT IS THE DAM TRUTH THAT THE REQUEST FOR SUCH OUTLANDISH MODEL TYPES WHEN EVERY BODY TYPE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED. IT SHOULD FIRST START WITH THE DESIGNERS IN MY OPINION RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

take a chillpill, seriously.

ibtl

Jan 24 13 06:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
-Nicole-
Posts: 19,184
Madison, Wisconsin, US


Moni B wrote:
FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO TOOK THIS POST TO HEART, UM GET OUT OF YOUR FEELINGS. IT IS THE DAM TRUTH THAT THE REQUEST FOR SUCH OUTLANDISH MODEL TYPES WHEN EVERY BODY TYPE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED. IT SHOULD FIRST START WITH THE DESIGNERS IN MY OPINION RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

You're mad, huh?

Jan 24 13 06:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


Kevin Ian wrote:

Sorry you are too short/heavy for the casting...not nice to insult others.

UM, I am far from short. Actually I am 5'11 now. Insulting others? Who? I simply said that request was rather far stretched, I pin pointed no girl or certain designer. So you insult me for no absolute reason. Your such a great person.

Jan 24 13 06:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,342
Asheville, North Carolina, US


The goal in design and art is to showcase the extraordinary, not to provide validation for the usual.
Jan 24 13 07:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Moni B wrote:
IT IS THE DAM TRUTH THAT THE REQUEST FOR SUCH OUTLANDISH llama TYPES WHEN EVERY BODY TYPE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED. IT SHOULD FIRST START WITH THE DESIGNERS IN MY OPINION RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

If you don't like it, then do something about it, even if it's just not giving this culture your attention.   Or, write to the designers.  Write to the media.  Start your own clothing line.  Start your own agency.  Encourage other people who also feel victimized by this culture not to starve themselves.

By posting here like this, you just sound bitter because you don't fit the requirements that many do fit -- naturally.

Jan 24 13 07:01 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


Not mad just a bit frustrated that others would take a post so wrong. Getting into the  medical terms of words and such. It was not intended to insult ANYONE. The point of the post was overlooked by emotions and context. This is why its a hopeless case.
Jan 24 13 07:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
E e v a
Posts: 1,724
Nashville, Tennessee, US


Moni B wrote:
Not mad just a bit frustrated that others would take a post so wrong. Getting into the  medical terms of words and such. It was not intended to insult ANYONE. The point of the post was overlooked by emotions and context. This is why its a hopeless case.

The point of the original post was emotional to begin with. But regardless, to answer your rant, there is modeling for other types, and there are many designers for bigger sizes. Just because ONE part of the market doesn't cater to you doesn't mean the entire market is bad.

Jan 24 13 07:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Moni B wrote:
Not mad just a bit frustrated that others would take a post so wrong. Getting into the  medical terms of words and such. It was not intended to insult ANYONE. The point of the post was overlooked by emotions and context. This is why its a hopeless case.

But, anorexia is a medical term for a DISEASE that these girls may not even have.

How is that not insulting?

If I were 5'9" and 110 lbs and healthy, how do you think reading your post would make me feel?

Don't try to blame others for being hurt by your lack of sensitivity.

Jan 24 13 07:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


I wasn't interested in the casting first-off. Stop with the false accusations. Your wrong. Also I will start a movement about it. Indeed I will.
Jan 24 13 07:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photos 4 The Memories
Posts: 1,279
Kewaskum, Wisconsin, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

take a chillpill, seriously.

ibtl

You want some of my popcorn?

Jan 24 13 07:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
E e v a
Posts: 1,724
Nashville, Tennessee, US


Moni B wrote:
I wasn't interested in the casting first-off. Stop with the false accusations. Your wrong. Also I will start a movement about it. Indeed I will.

If you weren't interested, why get so upset? Why is it even on your radar if you're getting jobs and you're not the above weight? Honestly OTHER people's bodies have nothing to do with you.

Jan 24 13 07:09 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Moni B wrote:
I wasn't interested in the casting first-off. Stop with the false accusations. Your wrong. Also I will start a movement about it. Indeed I will.

there is a movement. it's called Healthy is the new Skinny. They're in LA, they're an agency that have girls in various sizes, from 4 to 16 or something.
There's also plus size modelling, and various types of modelling that either have completely different standards (like glamour), or that don't really care about standards (like art)

Jan 24 13 07:09 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


Samantha Emme wrote:

If you weren't interested, why get so upset? Why is it even on your radar if you're getting jobs and you're not the above weight? Honestly OTHER people's bodies have nothing to do with you.

I am far from upset. This is just a mere discussion of opinions. But what the media portrays as beauty affects millions of women worldwide. Are you blind?!? OTHERS bodies have nothing to do with me you are right, but if you continue to ignore the problem you are apart of it.

Jan 24 13 07:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


e m i l y wrote:
If I were 5'9" and 110 lbs and healthy, how do you think reading your post would make me feel?

Um, I don't know, hungry? LOL

*playing Devil's Advocate*


Moni B wrote:
I am far from upset. This is just a mere discussion of opinions. But what the media portrays as beauty affects millions of women worldwide. Are you blind?!? OTHERS bodies have nothing to do with me you are right, but if you continue to ignore the problem you are apart of it.

Realistically speaking, if you were 5'9 and 110 lbs, you'd be underweight. Medical recommendation for a female, 19 yrs old with a height of 5'9 is 129-169 lbs, is she has small bone structure. Does the fashion industry looks for women who are very thin? Yes. We all know that. That's probably why most people don't mention wieght on casting calls, they use sizes. Am I going to go batshit over it...um no.

Here's the kicker...my body image issues didn't come from the media, I didn't feel victimized or inadequate because of magazines and TV, mine came from my mother. You know those mums, that abuse their kids and kill their self esteem? Yeah I had one. The eating disorders I struggled with in my teens weren't there because of the fashion industry, so we can't blame them, plain and simple.

The industry is shifting, there is more room for glam and plus modeling like Anna mentioned, so to lump the whole industry into one category is wrong.

Jan 24 13 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Moni B wrote:

I am far from upset. This is just a mere discussion of opinions. But what the media portrays as beauty affects millions of women worldwide. Are you blind?!? OTHERS bodies have nothing to do with me you are right, but if you continue to ignore the problem you are apart of it.

Why do you perceive how one artist chooses to portray his/her designs as a statement about how all women "should" look?

Jan 24 13 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


e m i l y wrote:

But, anorexia is a medical term for a DISEASE that these girls may not even have.

How is that not insulting?

If I were 5'9" and 110 lbs and healthy, how do you think reading your post would make me feel?

Don't try to blame others for being hurt by your lack of sensitivity.

Once again you missed the entire point. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Jan 24 13 07:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DivaEroticus
Posts: 14,553
Fayetteville, Arkansas, US


Moni B wrote:
FOR ALL OF THOSE WHO TOOK THIS POST TO HEART, UM GET OUT OF YOUR FEELINGS. IT IS THE DAM TRUTH THAT THE REQUEST FOR SUCH OUTLANDISH MODEL TYPES WHEN EVERY BODY TYPE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED. IT SHOULD FIRST START WITH THE DESIGNERS IN MY OPINION RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

FUCK YEAH CAPS LOCK!








ibtl

Jan 24 13 07:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Jojo West wrote:
Realistically speaking, if you were 5'9 and 110 lbs, you'd be underweight. Medical recommendation for a female, 19 yrs old with a height of 5'9 is 129-169 lbs, is she has small bone structure. Does the fashion industry looks for women who are very thin? Yes.

When I was 15, I was 5'7" and 105 lbs.  I was considered "underweight" by every medical book out there, but my doctor knew I was healthy.  I wasn't starving myself; I'd eat a LOT of food, good food, and not gain weight.  It wasn't until I was about 20 years old did I start to "flesh out" a bit more, but I am still considered "below average".

The fashion industry also looks for *girls*, not women, and this is important because young girl's bodies are different.

Jan 24 13 07:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,305
Orlando, Florida, US


Moni B wrote:

I am far from upset. This is just a mere discussion of opinions. But what the media portrays as beauty affects millions of women worldwide. Are you blind?!? OTHERS bodies have nothing to do with me you are right, but if you continue to ignore the problem you are apart of it.

I've been to WalMart. Trust me when I say that McDonalds is affecting far more women in the opposite and just as dangerously unhealthy way.

If anything, let's all crusade against the fast food industry.

Jan 24 13 07:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jojo West
Posts: 972
Silver Spring, Maryland, US


e m i l y wrote:
The fashion industry also looks for *girls*, not women, and this is important because young girl's bodies are different.

I think that's a bit different. When women are developing our bodies are VERY different. So yes it's normal for a 16 yr old to weigh less than normal. Metabolism is much faster then. (I wish I had that metabolism, lol)

Plus we have to take into consideration puberty, the effects of becoming sexually active (which for some reason seems to change bodies so weird), changes in lifestyle, etc etc etc

Jan 24 13 07:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
salvatori.
Posts: 3,761
State College, Pennsylvania, US


OP,

First off, please cite/link the CC so we can see the exact thing you are referencing.

And I might be stoopid, but how different is a girl that is 5'9" and 115 pounds and a girl who is 5'11" and 125?
Jan 24 13 07:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 36,398
Columbus, Ohio, US


Moni B wrote:
designers are a main reason for anorexia!

Sorry, I did not see that in my PDR, that I just looked in.

Jan 24 13 07:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


e m i l y wrote:

When I was 15, I was 5'7" and 105 lbs.  I was considered "underweight" by every medical book out there, but my doctor knew I was healthy.  I wasn't starving myself; I'd eat a LOT of food, good food, and not gain weight.  It wasn't until I was about 20 years old did I start to "flesh out" a bit more, but I am still considered "below average".

The fashion industry also looks for *girls*, not women, and this is important because young girl's bodies are different.

I just want top designers to start putting average women in there clothes. Because in reality those are the women that purchase the items anyway. They could really help with what the media would portray as beauty.

Jan 24 13 08:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


salvatori. wrote:
OP,

First off, please cite/link the CC so we can see the exact thing you are referencing.

And I might be stoopid, but how different is a girl that is 5'9" and 115 pounds and a girl who is 5'11" and 125?

You stuck on the specifics and oblivious to the point.

Jan 24 13 08:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Moni B wrote:

Once again you missed the entire point. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

What's the point?

Jan 24 13 08:09 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


Good Egg Productions wrote:

I've been to WalMart. Trust me when I say that McDonalds is affecting far more women in the opposite and just as dangerously unhealthy way.

If anything, let's all crusade against the fast food industry.

For food to taste so good and cheap it has to be a sin. I am with you on this one lol

Jan 24 13 08:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Moni B
Posts: 23
Miami, Florida, US


e m i l y wrote:

Why do you perceive how one artist chooses to portray his/her designs as a statement about how all women "should" look?

One artist? Not remotely. Never said all women either? Sigh you have taken this quite out of proportion. No need to play a victim there are no lashes or puns intended for the last time.

Jan 24 13 08:15 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Moni B wrote:

You stuck on the specifics and oblivious to the point.

actually, that's not true...

let's look at BMI (not a fan of bmi, but we're going to use it anyway so at least we have something to compare the 2)

*5'9 and 115 lbs = BMI 17
*5'11 and 125 lbs = BMI 17,4

if you think the requirements of that casting call are "anorexic", you are barely any better.

Not to mention the countries that have (or have tried) to ban models of the runway with a BMI lower than 18, because it's unhealthy: you would be banned for having an unhealthy weight.

A certain Dr Campbell had calculated that 75% of anorexic patients have a BMI lower than 17,5. Following that logic, your weight is in the "anorexia zone"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 … order.html

the same article also mentions the agreement Vogue as a collective has made to ban unhealthy looking models... following the above guidelines, they probably wouldn't want you, since your weight is so dangerously low and falls within the anorexia zone.

You need to accept that your body is NO better than the castingrequirements you're whining about... And that there is nothing wrong with that, if you can be that size in a healthy way.

Jan 24 13 08:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
salvatori.
Posts: 3,761
State College, Pennsylvania, US


Moni B wrote:

You stuck on the specifics and oblivious to the point.

Okay, remove the second part of my reply.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE cite, or provide a link, to the CC so we can see EXACTLY how it was worded.

If you can't do this, your argument here has ZERO credibility. And I AM talking about specifics. You cited a CC and based an argument on that. Without at least the simple ability to show the rest of us EXACTLY what you were basing your argument on, you have no argument.

Am I concentrating on specifics? YES, as your original thread referenced a particular item. Argumentation & Debate 101.

Jan 24 13 08:18 am  Link  Quote 
Clothing Designer
Chain Reaction
Posts: 529
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Moni B wrote:
IT SHOULD FIRST START WITH THE DESIGNERS IN MY OPINION RATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.

I admit it. It's all my fault. You'd think I'd be ashamed but I'm not.

Jan 24 13 08:19 am  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers