login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Crazy, Obsessive, Scary Bride. Search   Reply
12last
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


I have been in email contact with a bride who seems just a little wacky. She started off by stating that she had talked to two other makeup artists in the area and they had given her cheaper prices. I'm not making that much off of this deal since only 3 people are getting makeup done but around 8 are having hair done with my friend who I referred. I have a standard contract I use, which I was editing with her info and I asked her for some additional info and she then emailed me back with a strict deadline for the contract and then tells me that she needs to have an attorney look it over. WTF? She is the one that asked for it also?

I'm seriously afraid if anything goes wrong on the wedding day that she might sue me. She doesn't even want a trial run! Should I back out of this?
Jan 24 13 02:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
hs photography
Posts: 468
Houston, Texas, US


Go with your gut.
Jan 24 13 02:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


hs photography wrote:
Go with your gut.

My gut tells me her "husbands attorney" is going to sue me when her makeup and hair isn't the way she wanted even though she doesn't want a trial.

I've dealt with lots of brides but none as http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngas her.

Jan 24 13 02:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY
Posts: 4,603
Jacksonville, Florida, US


ahhhhhh bride-zilla, hint....why I prefer not to do weddings......$$$$ is good but the headaches and the black-balling if it gets fouled up by something going array in the photography side....jmo, good luck.........if she needs her lawyer to look at a basic contract....then she has a lot of money to throw around and should be able to pay your rate if she wants you as the MUA.
Jan 24 13 02:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,983
Corona, California, US


Politely decline the booking.
Don't refer anyone.

Then ruuuuuun awaaaaay.

I think we all get caught up from time to time in "can't say no" and  "customer is always right".

We have as much right to turn DOWN a job as the Customer has to book us in the first place.....
Jan 24 13 02:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Frank McDonough
Posts: 146
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Run, don't walk.
Jan 24 13 02:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


Frank McDonough wrote:
Run, don't walk.

I'm running as we speak! lol

Jan 24 13 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Cynna Stylz MUA
Posts: 216
New York, New York, US


in this thread http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=852992

Makeup4art expressed how she handles her customers that are rude. She fires them! LOL

There will be no love lost and you will continue to gain business. People love to throw the word lawyer around to scare other people. In the past I would say "Great, so is my sister and my brother. Let me know when your lawyer is available and mines will be as well".
Jan 24 13 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
hs photography
Posts: 468
Houston, Texas, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
My gut tells me her "husbands attorney" is going to sue me when her makeup and hair isn't the way she wanted even though she doesn't want a trial.

I've dealt with lots of brides but none as http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngas her.

There you have it.  That was easy.

Jan 24 13 02:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


I don't even know what to say to her. She is one of those really intimidating people. I'm used to the happy, exciting bride. Not the bridezilla bride who wants to sue me! lol
Jan 24 13 02:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Austin
Posts: 10,869
Austin, Texas, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
My gut tells me her "husbands attorney" is going to sue me when her makeup and hair isn't the way she wanted even though she doesn't want a trial.

I've dealt with lots of brides but none as http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngas her.

My oversized gut has been wrong before but not often.  If it says run, I run. 

You probably wouldn't end up getting sued (though its certainly possible) but most likely your gut will be loudly complaining to you.

Jan 24 13 02:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,611
Belmont, California, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
I don't even know what to say to her. She is one of those really intimidating people. I'm used to the happy, exciting bride. Not the bridezilla bride who wants to sue me! lol

Something has come up and I won't be able to do your wedding afterall.

Jan 24 13 02:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
hs photography
Posts: 468
Houston, Texas, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
I don't even know what to say to her. She is one of those really intimidating people. I'm used to the happy, exciting bride. Not the bridezilla bride who wants to sue me! lol

If that's the case, and you're already intimidated, you'll probably be so uptight during the session, that you very well may do less than a perfect job.  Then what?  I think some pressure and nervousness can be a good thing, but unless something changes for the better, this doesn't sound like the makings of a good thing to me.

Jan 24 13 02:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


I feel bad for my friend who I referred to do the hair. I forwarded her the emails and I am giving her the choice to work with her if she wants to on her own. I had already told the bride earlier that she was an independent contractor so she doesn't work for me I just referred her.
Jan 24 13 02:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY
Posts: 4,603
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Rik Austin wrote:

My oversized gut has been wrong before but not often.  If it says run, I run. 

You probably wouldn't end up getting sued (though its certainly possible) but most likely your gut will be loudly complaining to you.

and giving you a bad name around the area....making it hard to get new clients sad

Jan 24 13 02:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


hs photography wrote:

If that's the case, and you're already intimidated, you'll probably be so uptight during the session, that you very well may do less than a perfect job.  Then what?  I think some pressure and nervousness can be a good thing, but unless something changes for the better, this doesn't sound like the makings of a good thing to me.

Yeah, I honestly couldn't do it. I need my steady hands I would totally be shaking.

Jan 24 13 02:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


The thing I am afraid of when backing out is that she is going to bad mouth me anyways. Her wedding is later in the year so she has plenty of time to book someone else but I still hate the thought of her posting a negative review anywhere.
Jan 24 13 02:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
hs photography
Posts: 468
Houston, Texas, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
The thing I am afraid of when backing out is that she is going to bad mouth me anyways. Her wedding is later in the year so she has plenty of time to book someone else but I still hate the thought of her posting a negative review anywhere.

There is a chance that you're going to be bad mouthed anyway.  If you're so stressed that you do a bad job, she very well might spread that around too.  The upside is, you may do just fine.  Again, go with your gut.

Jan 24 13 02:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JBerman Photography
Posts: 1,113
New York, New York, US


"yeah, ummm, I've got some bad news and some good news for ya...bad news-can't be there for your wedding...good news:you mentioned the other MUAs are cheaper...go save a few bucks, don't blame me if your MU looks like it was done for the circus...BUH-BYE, have a great wedding" click, hang up the phone.

wink
Jan 24 13 02:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Cynna Stylz MUA
Posts: 216
New York, New York, US


Tell her the truth. That you feel threatened and that her attitude borders a type that you have never dealt with personally, only seen on reality TV. Tell her that if she truly wants your  professional services then she must equally and professional agree to them. But understanding that she has other options for makeup application, then you understand that she is concerned with the financial aspect as well as the end results.

Make sure you smile while discussing this. But don't let her bully you. If she thinks she can walk all over you then she will.

Again .... Not worth the stress.
Jan 24 13 02:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
Lisa Berczel
Posts: 3,983
Corona, California, US


PDF IMAGES PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
and giving you a bad name around the area....making it hard to get new clients sad

Making it harder to get clients *just like her*?

What a relief.

I don't do bridal.... but am very familiar with the better clients that you get based on having a reputation of being Choosy.

Jan 24 13 02:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


Lisa Berczel wrote:

Making it harder to get clients *just like her*?

What a relief.

I don't do bridal.... but am very familiar with the better clients that you get based on having a reputation of being Choosy.

Good point! lol

Jan 24 13 02:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jami Lea
Posts: 5,747
Los Angeles, California, US


F that! Tell her how damn http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngshe is and let her know youre backing out of it because of her clear lack of respect for people. People need to be told. Simply stating that your understand that weddings are stressful but that is no reason to be abusive will suffice. Assert yourself! Dont feel so desperate that you allow people to treat you like a doormat. You are a professional. Tell her to go choke on a garter!!

I wish I wouldve had someone as nice as you on my wedding day smile
Jan 24 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,155
Coronado, California, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
I have been in email contact with a bride who seems just a little wacky. She started off by stating that she had talked to two other makeup artists in the area and they had given her cheaper prices. I'm not making that much off of this deal since only 3 people are getting makeup done but around 8 are having hair done with my friend who I referred. I have a standard contract I use, which I was editing with her info and I asked her for some additional info and she then emailed me back with a strict deadline for the contract and then tells me that she needs to have an attorney look it over. WTF? She is the one that asked for it also?

I'm seriously afraid if anything goes wrong on the wedding day that she might sue me. She doesn't even want a trial run! Should I back out of this?

She gave YOU a deadline for the contract?   If I understand this correctly, my response would be:       

I am so sorry, I will not be able to complete the contract according your deadline as my attorney is working a big case and will not be free until ___(insert date)______   However, he is willing to meet with your attorney at his office in downtown ___(insert nearest big city)______ on this date ____(insert date)___________where they can mutually hammer out the details of the contract.    If this is not possible I'm afraid I will have to decline the job.   Please let me know if your attorney is free on the above mentioned date to meet for contract signing.  Sincerely, blah blah blah

Jan 24 13 05:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jami Lea
Posts: 5,747
Los Angeles, California, US


lol Mary, what if she agrees?
Jan 24 13 05:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael DBA Expressions
Posts: 3,165
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


There are two kinds of people in this world, warm fuzzies and cold pricklies. Do business with all the warm fuzzies you can find, send the cold pricklies to your competition.

In order to be successful, you must be prepared to send some business away. The cold pricklies for example.

Life is simply too short to put up with folks who show you they are going to be nothing but trouble. Bridezilla -- nobody needs Bridezilla.

But if you are going to work with Bridezilla, make sure you charge plenty to make up for the pain and suffering.
Jan 24 13 05:44 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Makeup Artist
Mary
Posts: 7,155
Coronado, California, US


Jami Lea wrote:
lol Mary, what if she agrees?

LOL!  I've never had someone call a bluff like that...I can't tell you what to do at that point..I guess you would have to raise your price to include your new attorney smile  Makeup goes from $100.00 a head to $500.00 a head?

Jan 24 13 06:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jami Lea
Posts: 5,747
Los Angeles, California, US


lol
Jan 24 13 06:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GER Photography
Posts: 7,759
Imperial, California, US


There are some psycho assed biaches out there!!! Ya gotta CYA bro.
Jan 24 13 06:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Jennifer_May
Posts: 24
Peoria, Illinois, US


I would say that you had another wedding on your books and now unable to do hers...

Truly you don't need a reason at all to give and it's better if you back out then do her wedding and be nervous. Don't let a bride intimidate you. Don't let her try and talk you down on prices. Run far away from this bride!!
Jan 24 13 07:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LisaJohnson
Posts: 10,525
Nashville, Tennessee, US


If ANYONE gives you a review when you have not even worked with them on trial or full service wedding - they are LIARS.  Reputable sites let you rebutt all reviews then they delete them after ascertaining the fact you didn't even MEET HER - I wouldn't even entertain working with the likes of her.  I don't think you should even tell her anything other than that you are not available now.  She sounds VINDICTIVE.  Let her find someone else to zero her negativity upon - the sooner the better.

You cannot let these bridezillas (unless she is someone else entirely yanking your chain) get to you.  YOU are in control.  Tell her you are not able to accommodate her wedding and wish her well.  Then BLOCK HER - NEVER REPLY BACK TO HER AGAIN.  You ultimately have discretion on what bride to work on - trials and business work BOTH ways - at YOUR discretion who you do business with - and from how you've explained - she would be holy hell.  YOU OWE HER NOTHING (BUT HER RETAINER BACK) = YOU OWE HER NADA ZIP ZERO.
Jan 25 13 12:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photosbydmp
Posts: 3,808
Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia


YES.
Jan 25 13 12:59 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
kat makeup artist
Posts: 182
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Simple. No trial, No booking.

You want a solicitor to look at a contract and have a real contract drawn up? Then send me a written and signed affidavit that you will pay all my legal fees upfront regardless of whether you choose to book me or not. Please expect to pay anywhere above $2000. Not including the actual cost of my services.

That will be enough to scare the pants off any 16 yr old pretending to play big shots i have or am an attorney and wants to show what a big girl they are when clearly they are insecure and deluded.

Simple.
Jan 25 13 03:09 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


Mary wrote:
She gave YOU a deadline for the contract?   If I understand this correctly, my response would be:       

I am so sorry, I will not be able to complete the contract according your deadline as my attorney is working a big case and will not be free until ___(insert date)______   However, he is willing to meet with your attorney at his office in downtown ___(insert nearest big city)______ on this date ____(insert date)___________where they can mutually hammer out the details of the contract.    If this is not possible I'm afraid I will have to decline the job.   Please let me know if your attorney is free on the above mentioned date to meet for contract signing.  Sincerely, blah blah blah

Yes, she gave ME the deadline! One of the things I find really funny is that her wedding is almost a year away. I have brides who are getting married in a month who never even mention the word deadline. I am always very prompt with all of my clients and even mentioned that I would have it back to her by the end of the day.

The good thing is she hadn't paid or signed anything yet so I really can back out at any time which I am going to do in a few minutes. I plan on sending her what you said Mary and calling her bluff. Since I'm sure someone who tries to bargain on makeup pricing will not want to pay an extra thousand in legal fees to hire attorneys.

Jan 25 13 07:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Do it as quietly and as quickly as possible. No drama, not explanations. Give her nothing to hang her hat on.
Jan 25 13 07:44 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Linda Chudomelova
Posts: 133
Prague, Prague, Czech Republic


kat makeup artist  wrote:
No trial, No booking.

This.

I don't practice extreme adrenaline sports, sorry.

It is a lesson that I am only slowly learning myself, but I definitely agree - if your gut says it stinks, then in freakin' reeks and you run.

Tell her you had another business in the air and that it got confirmed for her wedding date and thus you won't be able to do her wedding after all. You have no contract signed and are as much entitled to declining a job as anyone.

Best of luck.

Jan 25 13 08:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Edward
Posts: 2,462
Dallas, Texas, US


An old rule in business, is, "10% of your customers, cause 90% of your problems."

Another thing to consider, if she gives you bad reviews, and badmouths you, just for declining to work with you, it may actually work in your favor. By showing her Bside, it puts you in the light of being someone Smart enough to avoid getting caught up in the Drama.

And attorneys for the makeup artist contract? Oh please.

Run, just run.
Jan 25 13 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Innovative Imagery
Posts: 2,815
Los Angeles, California, US


Definitely decline this client.  Do it now.  Do it fast.  Do it completely, but politely and professionally.  Something along the lines, that you don't feel you are a good fit for each other and you are withdrawing from consideration.  Thank her for her time and wish her luck.  If she continues to contact you, advise her that your business with her is completed and you won't be responding in the future and block her.
Jan 25 13 09:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
steve sessem
Posts: 69
Lackawanna, New York, US


Innovative Imagery wrote:
Definitely decline this client.  Do it now.  Do it fast.  Do it completely, but politely and professionally.  Something along the lines, that you don't feel you are a good fit for each other and you are withdrawing from consideration.  Thank her for her time and wish her luck.  If she continues to contact you, advise her that your business with her is completed and you won't be responding in the future and block her.

+1

Jan 25 13 09:37 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


Once I sent her what Mary said she quickly responded and said she would be going with someone else! Mission Accomplished! smile
Jan 25 13 09:44 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers