login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Revenge Porn Sites Search   Reply
12345last
Photographer
Boho Hobo
Posts: 25,351
Portland, Oregon, US


I'm not sure where I've been for the last 5 years but apparently I missed an internet phenomena known as "revenge porn" sites.


For the uninformed, they're sites where you can at the very least post risque to XXX photos of people and share them with others.   The worst sites allow users to map the location of their cyber xxx victim as well as post personal information such as their phone number, email,etc.


Texxxan.com is just one of many “revenge porn” sites, where jealous exes and computer hackers anonymously post and “rate” pornographic images of women. The photos are often posted without consent and include links to the victim’s social-media accounts, which makes the women very traceable.


Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa … z2JCRCU5O6


ARE YOU FUCKING kidding me???


How is this shit legal?


What do people suggest be done to deal with this or are existing laws sufficient to handle it?



Victims of Revenge Porn Mount Class Action Suit Against GoDaddy and Texxxan.com
http://betabeat.com/2013/01/victims-of- … xxxan-com/
Jan 27 13 09:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


Don't need it. I have my MM port for that.
Jan 27 13 09:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


many of the posts on voyeurweb are along the lines of "ex-girlfriend" and somehow i'm guessing the ex didn't give permission.
Jan 27 13 09:58 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


There are many sites whose sole purpose is cyberbullying, thedirty would be another example.

I suppose harrassing women is protected under "freedom of speech".
Jan 27 13 09:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sophistocles
Posts: 21,320
Seattle, Washington, US


Libel. Public disclosure of private facts. Existing law.
Jan 27 13 10:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Boho Hobo
Posts: 25,351
Portland, Oregon, US


Sophistocles wrote:
Libel. Public disclosure of private facts. Existing law.

any idea how much that costs?

Jan 27 13 10:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ChrisFischerPhotography
Posts: 852
Otsego, Minnesota, US


Patchouli Nyx wrote:
How is this shit legal?

It's not. It's defamation. It's also invasion of privacy.

Jan 27 13 10:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
surinity
Posts: 1,481
Pattaya, Central, Thailand


pretty sure its illegal without a model release and all the usual 2257 stuff, on the other hand celebs get their sex tapes posted without their agreement so Im not so sure
Jan 27 13 10:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


Russian Katarina wrote:
There are many sites whose sole purpose is cyberbullying, thedirty would be another example.

How have I not seen this? This is hilarious.

Jan 27 13 10:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SAND DIAL
Posts: 5,965
Santa Monica, California, US


Russian Katarina wrote:
There are many sites whose sole purpose is cyberbullying, thedirty would be another example.

I suppose harrassing women is protected under "freedom of speech".

Having photoed nudes, I know there are laws in USA and severe penalties for
not having photo ID of subjects.

I assume these 'photographers' are breaking the law and they dont have a model
release so they are up for civil lawsuit as well.

Jan 27 13 10:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SAND DIAL
Posts: 5,965
Santa Monica, California, US


surinity wrote:
pretty sure its illegal without a model release and all the usual 2257 stuff, on the other hand celebs get their sex tapes posted without their agreement so I not so sure

Laws about 'being a public figure'.

Jan 27 13 10:10 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


It's not legal.

So.... tharr you go.
Jan 27 13 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,249
Hayward, California, US


it's not legal.  DMCA.  etc etc
Jan 27 13 10:38 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


SAND DIAL wrote:

Having photoed nudes, I know there are laws in USA and severe penalties for
not having photo ID of subjects.

I assume these 'photographers' are breaking the law and they dont have a model
release so they are up for civil lawsuit as well.

Such sites are usually hosted elsewhere and the domains registered in some banana republics - you will have a very hard time tracking down the owner and a virtually non-existant chance to track down the users that upload this shit. That's why these guys are so brazen, they know they're never gonna have to answer for what they're doing to those women.

Women these days have to be very careful. It's best not to make home porn or take nude pictures for the boyfriend to begin with.

Jan 27 13 10:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Boho Hobo
Posts: 25,351
Portland, Oregon, US


SAND DIAL wrote:
Having photoed nudes, I know there are laws in USA and severe penalties for
not having photo ID of subjects.

I assume these 'photographers' are breaking the law and they dont have a model
release so they are up for civil lawsuit as well.

most of them are judgement proof.

like katarina said, servers not in US, shell corporations so that if liability if attached there are no assets, 3rd party upload loopholes, etc.



and that's IF you realize you're on the site.


many of these sites, the (it's mostly) women, have NO IDEA their pix are being hosted with their personal info being shared.

Jan 27 13 11:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


surinity wrote:
pretty sure its illegal without a model release and all the usual 2257 stuff, on the other hand celebs get their sex tapes posted without their agreement so Im not so sure

celebrity sex tapes are usually brokered and paid for properly, with the rest being an act

yes, mainstream hollywood celebrities are shooting porn to be famous, while they are famous.

Jan 27 13 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Accidental Plateau
Posts: 7,715
Brooklyn, New York, US


At a certain point everyday amateur nudity and sexual encounters will be so common place nobody will care.

At that point, people will be less likely to out someone, a former partner, etc., as it is not as if they are engaging in illegal conduct like theft or assault, etc.
Jan 27 13 05:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Accidental Plateau
Posts: 7,715
Brooklyn, New York, US


Damon Banner wrote:
it's not legal.  DMCA.  etc etc

What is legal or not versus what is enforceable.

Jan 27 13 05:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


Accidental  Plateau wrote:

What is legal or not versus what is enforceable.

exactly, society, even with the rule of law, requires a great degree of cooperation

Jan 27 13 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Are you sure this isn't acting? Like, a set up?   Definitely seems illegal otherwise!
Jan 27 13 05:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Of course we can't blame these women for sending (of their own free will) their raunchy photos to the wrong guy, can we..
Jan 27 13 05:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,522
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


Accidental  Plateau wrote:

What is legal or not versus what is enforceable.

forget DMCA.  none of these sites have 2257 documentation. That can get the Feds rolling.

Jan 27 13 05:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:
Of course we can't blame these women for sending (of their own free will) their raunchy photos to the wrong guy, can we..

No.

Jan 27 13 05:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:
Of course we can't blame these women for sending (of their own free will) their raunchy photos to the wrong guy, can we..

Are you suggesting they should be blamed ?

Jan 27 13 05:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
Are you suggesting they should be blamed ?

For naivete, yes.

Although natural instinct is to blame the guy with the deepest pockets.

Jan 27 13 05:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
Are you suggesting they should be blamed ?

Doing otherwise is the same as saying women are dumb and don't know what's good for them.

Jan 27 13 05:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:

For naivete, yes.

Although natural instinct is to blame the guy with the deepest pockets.

What is the nature of their naïveté ?

Jan 27 13 05:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
What is the nature of their naïveté ?

Need a map? They sent the provocative photo to the wrong guy. Pretty simple.

This is the consequence.

Jan 27 13 05:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Accidental Plateau
Posts: 7,715
Brooklyn, New York, US


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

forget DMCA.  none of these sites have 2257 documentation. That can get the Feds rolling.

But they don't.

Jan 27 13 05:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:

Need a map? They sent the provocative photo to the wrong guy. Pretty simple.

This is the consequence.

Do you think the guy shares any blame?

Jan 27 13 05:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
Do you think the guy shares any blame?

No..

Women want equality, that means understanding the consequences of your actions. You're not poor. You're not innocent. This is the result. In other words, think twice before sending that naked photo.

Jan 27 13 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
Do you think the guy shares any blame?

If a guy loses all his money because he gave it to the wrong guy to invest, we blame the fool, no?

How is this any different? The women on that site played the fool. That, my friend is equality..

Jan 27 13 05:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:

If a guy loses all his money because he gave it to the wrong guy to invest, we blame the fool, no?

How is this any different? The women on that site played the fool. That, my friend is equality..

I find it interesting the you think this is about equal rights.

Jan 27 13 05:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
I find it interesting the you think this is about equal rights.

That's cause you're simple minded and don't get how human nature works. Or any other animal for that matter. There are the exploiters, and the exploited.

One entity has all the gold. Another wants it. Still others just complain about the ones who have it. Meanwhile the ones who have it did the work to get it. And the ones who don't think they're entitled to it.

How does this equate? Let me dumb it down. Some dumb bitch took a naked photo of herself. She sent it to the "love of her life". She found a guy who fucks her better and left the "love of her life". He found a guy who will pay him handsomely for these useless photos [to him].. Guy makes a website and millions. We blame him.

Meanwhile.. she should have never taken the photo.. (unless of course we're saying she shouldn't suffer the consequences of her actions) - Equality..

Jan 27 13 05:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
In Balance Photography
Posts: 3,370
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:

That's cause you're simple minded and don't get how human nature works. Or any other animal for that matter. There are the exploiters, and the exploited.

One entity has all the gold. Another wants it. Still others just complain about the ones who have it. Meanwhile the ones who have it did the work to get it. And the ones who don't think they're entitled to it.

How does this equate? Let me dumb it down. Some dumb bitch took a naked photo of herself. She sent it to the "love of her life". She found a guy who fucks her better and left the "love of her life". He found a guy who will pay him handsomely for these useless photos [to him].. Guy makes a website and millions. We blame him.

Meanwhile.. she should have never taken the photo.. (unless of course we're saying she shouldn't suffer the consequences of her actions) - Equality..

I must say you have unique perspectives

Jan 27 13 05:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Or we could just say women are too damn dumb to make these decisions for themselves..

Which do you prefer? That, or understanding that if they want to make decisions, there are consequences for those..
Jan 27 13 05:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:
Or we could just say women are too damn dumb to make these decisions for themselves..

Which do you prefer? That or understanding that if they want to make decisions, there are consequences for those..

It would seem if an image ended up on porn site, it was the man's decision, not hers.

Jan 27 13 05:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


In Balance Photography wrote:
I must say you have unique perspectives

My perspective is nothing more than "if you think you have the wisdom to make a decision, then the one you make is the one you have to live with."

Don't come crying when someone else takes advantage of it..

Jan 27 13 05:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


e m i l y wrote:
It would seem if an image ended up on porn site, it was the man's decision, not hers.

She allowed the photo to be taken. She's not innocent in the matter..

Jan 27 13 05:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


John Jebbia wrote:

She allowed the photo to be taken. She's not innocent in the matter..

I've blocked you for your ridiculous statements here, so I'm out...

Jan 27 13 05:35 pm  Link  Quote 
12345last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers