login info join!
Forums > General Industry > MM models different from profile; any stories?! Search   Reply
12last
Model
Adrianna Camille
Posts: 82
Lexington, Kentucky, US


Here's mine.

I was casted last minute for a show via a recommendation... I lucked out.
Anyhow, the day of I noticed a girl I'd seen before here on MM, I'll refer to her as Liz.
Right away I notice Liz is pretty short and at 5'6 I suppose i'm short too. Typically, I'm the shortest girl on the runway. Liz is obviously shorter, in fact painfully obvious and I was surprised.
Her and I had some small talk and she mentioned rarely getting paid runway jobs "because I'm so short." Right then I wanted to ask Liz how tall she was but I just had a feeling I shouldn't bother.

Being around Liz was weird, especially barefoot. while my shoes were off she kept giving me an over the top dirty look. hmm

The next day I checked out her MM profile and I was a actually shocked. According to MM Liz is 5'6. In real life, Liz is 5'4 MAX.
I will be mean here by saying that I hope that upon meeting her, no one believes that Liz is 5'6. I hope every casting she's attended has had someone call her out. The idea of someone like Liz ruining the chances of  girls that are on the lower end makes me cringe.

Anyone lying about what they look like is completely stupid however, the internet makes it more possible than ever.
I have to ask... Have you ever worked with/casted a model with a MM profile that was a sham?
Jan 27 13 10:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jeffrey M Fletcher
Posts: 4,319
Asheville, North Carolina, US


That does it. In addition to the ID I'm now going to weigh and measure any of the models from here that show up.

Just when I think I can trust the internets.
Jan 27 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PocketChangeProductions
Posts: 87
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US


Maybe she doesn't get much runway work because she lists her height incorrectly just to get called in? You're probably not the only person disappointed when someone comes up short 2 inches less than they said online in real life.
Jan 27 13 11:18 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Brianne L
Posts: 277
OTTSVILLE, Pennsylvania, US


5'6'' is still pretty short for runway, so it really doesn't help that much in the long run. She even said so herself, it's because of her height. That added 2+ inches still doesn't really qualify her for most runway shows as far as I'm concerned.
I'm sure models lie about plenty of other things as well, including their weight, dress size, etc. Or, they could simply be inaccurate, as my measurements might be since I measured myself.
Lying won't really pay off, if you're the complete opposite of what you claim to be when you show up at a gig or shoot, it's very likely you'll be asked to leave. Or at least I would assume so.
I wouldn't worry about "Liz", I'm sure her lies will catch up to her if they haven't already.
Jan 27 13 11:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Gun Digital
Posts: 1,206
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Adrianna Camille wrote:
Anyone lying about what they look like is completely stupid however, the internet makes it more possible than ever.

The reality is that a lot of models lie about a lot of things in their profiles.  They lie about their height, their weight and in many cases about their age.  It's just something they do because they feel it enhances their chances of getting work.  This is particularly true in the case of age where many models would be disqualified from projects simply because they are "too old", regardless of how good they look.

There may be legitimate reasons when casting a job that a model be a particular size such as being able to wear certain clothing.  However, I think in many cases it's not an absolute necessity that a model be exactly this or that.  If a casting call is placed looking for models between 20 and 25 years of age I'm sure that a 27 year old would do just as well so this is why models lie about certain statistics.

Jan 27 13 11:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chasing Shadows
Posts: 301
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


A model wears makeup, photographers change lighting, it all adds up to a lie.

The industry is all about lies. But good lies. Because everyone knows we are doing it. So what.
Jan 27 13 12:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Adrianna Camille
Posts: 82
Lexington, Kentucky, US


PocketChangeProductions wrote:
Maybe she doesn't get much runway work because she lists her height incorrectly just to get called in? You're probably not the only person disappointed when someone comes up short 2 inches less than they said online in real life.

I'm positive that misleading clients is the reason she would have trouble working at least with jobs in her area. I wasn't disappointed that she was shorter, more less embarrassed really. I'm serious when I say MAX. I felt like she expected me to lie for her in a way if you understand what I mean...

Jan 27 13 12:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Adrianna Camille
Posts: 82
Lexington, Kentucky, US


Top Gun Digital wrote:

The reality is that a lot of models lie about a lot of things in their profiles.  They lie about their height, their weight and in many cases about their age.  It's just something they do because they feel it enhances their chances of getting work.  This is particularly true in the case of age where many models would be disqualified from projects simply because they are "too old", regardless of how good they look.

There may be legitimate reasons when casting a job that a model be a particular size such as being able to wear certain clothing.  However, I think in many cases it's not an absolute necessity that a model be exactly this or that.  If a casting call is placed looking for models between 20 and 25 years of age I'm sure that a 27 year old would do just as well so this is why models lie about certain statistics.

I agree/ understand. I suppose I'm just too sentimental for my own good.

Jan 27 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
C2C Images
Posts: 42
Naples, Campania, Italy


Worked with a model in San Diego whose portfolio was solid - but obviously outdated when she arrived 25+ pounds heavier than any image in her portfolio.  Went ahead with the TFCD themed shoot anyways and had fun creating some great images (she is a hard working model!)   Later I shot several maternity projects with her and booked weddings for several of her friends and family!  Professional attitude paid off well in the end!
Jan 27 13 12:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Adrianna Camille
Posts: 82
Lexington, Kentucky, US


It's awesome that the difference worked in your favor!
Jan 27 13 12:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,863
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Adrianna Camille wrote:
Here's mine.
.. Have you ever worked with/casted a model with a MM profile that was a sham?

Hi,
I have a serious thing about honesty and consider anyone else who is dishonest as either being intentionally deceptive or in deceiving themselves/deluded.

I tape and weigh myself consistently and even still things fluctuate and I do not always rigidly change the numbers until my stats remain different for two measurements, (a week apart or sooner.)

Yes, I have hired models for a show and those that were dishonest in their measurements did not fit the clothes. Worse yet, they were very rude as heck and stole the clothes from the models who were honest about their measurements at the last minute as they were dressing to walk out. sad! Meow, freakin cats. Those ladies will not ever be invited to another show that I help coordinate.

Jen

Jan 27 13 12:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Adrianna Camille
Posts: 82
Lexington, Kentucky, US


That's a terrible. It's simply bad marketing to advertise a product and then deliver an imitation of the product...I'm sure those girls took a hit to their self esteem as well. It's a shame it was at the expense of others including yourself.
Jan 27 13 01:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Paolo Diavolo
Posts: 8,194
Pleasant Hill, California, US


Since no one is regulating measurements but themselves I just figure on average they weigh 10-15lbs more than they list, and they are 2 inches shorter.

Most cases I don't need someone to be of specific measurements, and if I do, We're meeting before the project's shoot date.

Otherwise as long as they look right and have recent images, when shooting for hobby it doesn't matter as much to me.

....but i do own tape measures and a scale.
Jan 28 13 03:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Amanda Ashley Harris
Posts: 79
Los Angeles, California, US


Two words: casting, fitting.
All problems solved.
:-)
Jan 28 13 05:01 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,863
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Paolo Diavolo wrote:
Since no one is regulating measurements but themselves I just figure on average they weigh 10-15lbs more than they list, and they are 2 inches shorter.

Most cases I don't need someone to be of specific measurements, and if I do, We're meeting before the project's shoot date.

Otherwise as long as they look right and have recent images, when shooting for hobby it doesn't matter as much to me.

....but i do own tape measures and a scale.

Hmmm?
I wonder how many other people deduct 2" of height and add 15lbs to profile measurements. smile!? OY!
Jen
p.s. so should I say I am 6' and weight 138 instead of the truth? Maybe I'm doing this wrong! wink

Jan 28 13 09:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photodorset
Posts: 845
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom


On a similar vein what about photoshopped images. I keep seeing threads about what a model might expect from a TFCD shoot and many say they expect to get fully edited images. We all know that some of the published images we see are heavily edited with even the models 'slimmed down' and blemishes removed etc.

So when you book a model because of an edited image on their profile it's as bad as a couple of inches taken off their height!!

In any case, this industry is fairly small so dishonesty will soon result in unemployment!!!!
Jan 28 13 09:59 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,008
Baltimore, Maryland, US


also, DNA tests to prove gender.
Jan 28 13 10:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
C A K E M I X
Posts: 873
Louth, England, United Kingdom


Fuck it, if most photographers saw how I looked every day compared to my portfolio looks, they would run a mile! It's hard enough for me to shoot with the photographers I need to improve my portfolio anyways! tongue
Jan 28 13 10:11 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,687
Saco, Maine, US


Thank God I'M an artist!

5'4", or 5'1", or even 4'10" I don't care! To me, everyone looks beautiful and tall on a 30"x36" canvas!

BTW, even though I went to art school in the '70's, I am still 28 years old and still built like a Greek god! smile
Jan 28 13 10:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
That does it. In addition to the ID I'm now going to weigh and measure any of the models from here that show up.

Just when I think I can trust the internets.

You fool! Do you think that will suffice? You need a full body water tank to measure their BMI!

And yes, of course you can trust the Internets.

Jan 28 13 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Angelfactory
Posts: 1,559
Foley, Minnesota, US


I scheduled a TF shoot with a 99 year old and when she arrived was only 20.
Jan 28 13 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sky Donohue
Posts: 265
Salt Lake City, Utah, US


My profile says I'm 4'10 but I still regularly work with photographers who are startled at how short I am when I first arrive, and who are startled again at how not-short I apparently look through the camera. Does that count as two lies?
Jan 28 13 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
K E E L I N G
Posts: 39,773
Peoria, Illinois, US


So we've evolved to the point that 5'6" girls are making fun of 5'4" girls and trying to keep them off their runways?  tongue
Jan 28 13 11:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Thuy Anh
Posts: 5,281
Lubbock, Texas, US


Angelfactory wrote:
I scheduled a TF shoot with a 99 year old and when she arrived was only 20.

lol, that just sort of made my night, lol :p

Jan 28 13 11:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Thuy Anh
Posts: 5,281
Lubbock, Texas, US


I worked with a model that says she's 5'8" and I could've sworn she was 5'10", was a pleasant surprise smile
Jan 28 13 11:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Little Ginger Lamb
Posts: 62
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Sky Donohue wrote:
My profile says I'm 4'10 but I still regularly work with photographers who are startled at how short I am when I first arrive, and who are startled again at how not-short I apparently look through the camera. Does that count as two lies?

I have a similar issue. I'm 5'3 with long legs and often "trick" people into thinking I'm 5'7-5'8 in photographs until they see me next to someone 5'11 or somesuch. I am TINY, but I'm not going to lie and say, "Hey, I'm 5'7," just because I can pass for that height in photos.

Jan 29 13 04:30 am  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


Amanda Ashley Harris wrote:
Two words: casting, fitting.
All problems solved.
:-)

+100

Can't hide when the client/designer comes out with the measuring tape and tells you to "stand straight, take your shoes off".

This isn't even my story to tell, but girls who lie are "LOL" -- one story was recently shared at a shoot of a girl who advertised herself as 5'9" and when she showed up, she came in giant heels and refused to take them off.  When she was asked to change, she went into another room, and back out with the heels on -- every time.

It was painfully obvious she was about 5'5" and 5'9" was her "in heels height".

Ridiculous.

Don't lie.

I occasionally "look" taller than I am, too, and many people think I'm taller when they meet me -- but I'd never say on my profile or to a client "I photograph taller!" or "I look taller than I really am!" -- it comes across as really amateur and anyone who has seriously worked in the industry will just roll their eyes.

Jan 29 13 04:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andy G 323
Posts: 1,218
Bradford, England, United Kingdom


A couple of models have told me they are older than the age given in their online portfolios. However their images were up to date and not old ones and in real life they looked like they did in their portfolio so I didn't feel I had been misled.
Jan 29 13 05:47 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jordan L Duncan
Posts: 207
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
That does it. In addition to the ID I'm now going to weigh and measure any of the models from here that show up.

Just when I think I can trust the internets.

A photographer I used to know know who shoots fashion proportioned models has a shelf in his studio that was exactly 5 feet and 8 inches from the floor. its right by the door so when he opens it and she is standing still next to it he can see how tall she is. If the model was shorter than that he called her out. But if she was as tall as the shelf he never said anything. He said it was easier than holding up a measuring tape to confirm.

Jan 29 13 07:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 42,473
Salinas, California, US


Interesting question, and I have experienced situations where the models didn't exactly "look like" what her profile presented.   I know that MANY models lie or at least fudge their statistics some, be it age, height, weight or something else.  What I do in those circumstances depends on how important it is that they "fit" their listed stats.

Most of my shoots are where the clothing is brought by the model.  So it does not bother me much if it's a fudge of a couple inches, a few pounds, or even a few years.   However, the age thing is critical if I'm shooting any nudity, so she better not be younger than 18 and be lying about it!   Most of my shoots, the weight and height are not important to me.   Age for glamour is important!

One of my few skills is being able to improvise, so I've not been in any situations where the model was so very different from her stats that I wasn't able to shoot with her.  If I'm shooting for a clothing designer, they've already done fittings.  Not many "surprises" to speak of.
Jan 29 13 09:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 42,473
Salinas, California, US


Sky Donohue wrote:
My profile says I'm 4'10 but I still regularly work with photographers who are startled at how short I am when I first arrive, and who are startled again at how not-short I apparently look through the camera. Does that count as two lies?

I know we are not supposed to critique in this forum, but I can at least say this;  Looking at your portfolio, I cannot tell what your height is.  You've got some nice work, but you are not into wearing clothing or doing fashion, are you?   wink

Jan 29 13 09:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bradley Hall
Posts: 47
Nitro, West Virginia, US


you know there not allowed to lie on the internet LOL
Jan 29 13 09:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
E e v a
Posts: 1,724
Nashville, Tennessee, US


I've seen many models who are shorter then the stats. One very popular one in my area claims 5'9. I am 5'8, and was barefoot, and stood taller then her in heels. Riiiiiiiiighhhtttt. Another claimed 5'11. She was 5'7 at best. Which I never got, because  it is visible regardless of whether they say it or not. And both are very gorgeous girls who are successful otherwise. Makes no sense.
Jan 29 13 09:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nikki Magnusson
Posts: 6,841
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I think in fairness..

since the photogs will now be subjecting us fibbing models to more intense scrutiny..

a list of all their photo equipment and software will need to be verified..

fair is fair..lol..http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/129/56355047c63340658461981eb7b5a3a6/l.gif
Jan 29 13 09:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Viator Defessus Photos
Posts: 999
College Station, Texas, US


Nikki Magnusson wrote:
I think in fairness..

since the photogs will now be subjecting us fibbing models to more intense scrutiny..

a list of all their photo equipment and software will need to be verified..

fair is fair..lol..http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/129/56355047c63340658461981eb7b5a3a6/l.gif

In fairness, most photographers don't list our equipment on our profiles. So, unless you count omission as a lie, it's not a lie. big_smile I don't know if I'd shoot with a model that demanded that I list my equipment for her.

Jan 29 13 10:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Viator Defessus Photos
Posts: 999
College Station, Texas, US


The first time I shot with a model from here it turned out that her port was full of images of her from when she was 18-19. The model was 26 and had a kid in the mean time. That was a learning experience.
Jan 29 13 10:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sarah Willman
Posts: 42
Dickinson, North Dakota, US


Chasing Shadows wrote:
A model wears makeup, photographers change lighting, it all adds up to a lie.

The industry is all about lies. But good lies. Because everyone knows we are doing it. So what.

thats what most americans are tought to do.. We lie about the Easter bunny, toothfairy and santa clause..

Jan 30 13 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sarah Willman
Posts: 42
Dickinson, North Dakota, US


Robb Mann wrote:
also, DNA tests to prove gender.

has that happened to you?? do tell!!!!

Jan 30 13 12:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sarah Willman
Posts: 42
Dickinson, North Dakota, US


I worked with a photographer last week who told me that he had a scheduled paid shoot with a model that he met on here and when she turned up, it totally WAS NOT the girl in the photos.. she just used someone elses photos kind of like that show catfish..
Jan 30 13 12:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
sdgillis
Posts: 2,422
Portland, Oregon, US


MainePaintah wrote:
Thank God I'M an artist!

5'4", or 5'1", or even 4'10" I don't care! To me, everyone looks beautiful and tall on a 30"x36" canvas!

they will look 3 feet tall at best in RL though. lol

Jan 30 13 12:46 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers