login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > iphone fatigue? Search   Reply
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,431
Laguna Beach, California, US


Jan 27 13 04:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


iphones look like little toys next to smartphones

the iphone screen could fit multiple times within the Note II


I have to admit, many of these devices I laughed at when I first saw them. The note being a HUGE phone, but people love them.


one thing about that article though, Hong Kong and Singapore are very populated but small places. Are they really the "leading indicator" more than the trendy elitists of Shanghai or other places? Thats a question nobody really has the answer to
Jan 27 13 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I am a fairly new IPhone customer so not tired yet. I was tired of my Droid, but I had it for 3 years.
Jan 27 13 04:19 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,194
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
I have to admit, many of these devices I laughed at when I first saw them. The note being a HUGE phone, but people love them.

I love my note. My flip case doubles as a wallet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nGa0zEX2L._SS400_.jpg

Jan 27 13 04:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


Sabine  wrote:
I am a fairly new IPhone customer so not tired yet. I was tired of my Droid, but I had it for 3 years.

yeah if you hold any phone to the end of a contract , people are going to be looking at you funny near the end of the contract wondering why you have such an old device

Jan 27 13 04:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


-JAY- wrote:

I love my note. My flip case doubles as a wallet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nGa0zEX2L._SS400_.jpg

lol, haven't seen that before

sounds kinda cool, we actually joked about that at the office a couple years ago:

"instead of spending R&D on a mobile wallet app, how about we make a wallet that holds a phone"

Jan 27 13 04:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 8,878
Santa Barbara, California, US


Im hoping that the new series of iPhones coming out are actually smaller. If I know Apple, they see how trends grow and plateau then they go the opposite direction to get the lost market.
The smartphone size is up to almost tablet sizes with other companies, I cant tell the difference anymore.

Since I am more mobile with my iPad I never use the data on my iPhone anymore. It would be grate for me to have like an iPhone mini that has the iOS stability and ecosystem but basic in data, more phone-ability than a mini computer and something I can take running without feeling the weight and size of it in my pocket.
Jan 27 13 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 5,930
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


It's actually pretty stylish to have one of these today...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/31/article-1210159-063CF50E000005DC-828_468x638.jpg

(I plan to buy one off eBay for about $2, then rip out the face plate and stick an iPhone 5 in it's place...)

.
Jan 27 13 04:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


Art Silva Photography wrote:
Im hoping that the new series of iPhones coming out are actually smaller. If I know Apple, they see how trends grow and plateau then they go the opposite direction to get the lost market.
The smartphone size is up to almost tablet sizes with other companies, I cant tell the difference anymore.

Since I am more mobile with my iPad I never use the data on my iPhone anymore. It would be grate for me to have like an iPhone mini that has the iOS stability and ecosystem but basic in data, more phone-ability than a mini computer and something I can take running without feeling the weight and size of it in my pocket.

I actually sold my LTE enabled ipad, for a wifi only one

because I just use the data on my phone (android) to share with my ipad if I ever need to connect with that outside

Jan 27 13 04:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Dead account
Posts: 1,291
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


My HTC One XL is awesome. I have a phone case/wallet that is absolutely perfect. I have my drivers license, cash, MasterCard and phone all in one sexy little black leather case and that's all I ever need to take with me.
Jan 27 13 05:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peter Claver
Posts: 26,657
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


R A V E N D R I V E wrote:

I actually sold my LTE enabled ipad, for a wifi only one

because I just use the data on my phone (android) to share with my ipad if I ever need to connect with that outside

I went the other way.  Started with a WiFi only and shared my data from my phone (Canadian iPhones never had the tethering limitations that American ones did).  Problem was that if I was downloading or uploading something on my iPad I had to sit next to it with my phone all the time.  Not practical on a movie set where I use my iPad alot.  So I went with the GSM iPad next time around.  It's made a huge difference in my productivity.

Jan 27 13 08:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peter Claver
Posts: 26,657
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Art Silva Photography wrote:
Im hoping that the new series of iPhones coming out are actually smaller. If I know Apple, they see how trends grow and plateau then they go the opposite direction to get the lost market.
The smartphone size is up to almost tablet sizes with other companies, I cant tell the difference anymore.

Since I am more mobile with my iPad I never use the data on my iPhone anymore. It would be grate for me to have like an iPhone mini that has the iOS stability and ecosystem but basic in data, more phone-ability than a mini computer and something I can take running without feeling the weight and size of it in my pocket.

I'm the same way.  I got an iPhone 5 because I like the thinness and weight and general design (also I wanted to move all of my devices to the new lightning connector).  But I don't like the taller screen.  I really wish Apple would release a phone with the general design and engineering of the 5 but with the screen size of the 4.   I have no need for a bigger screen on my phone.  I want compactness.

As for these sales numbers.. its pretty clear from the sales data that when compared against comparably priced/featured phones (eg the Samsung Galaxy line) the iPhones outsell them by a wide margin.  It's the low-price phone sales that Apple is missing out on.  Their worldwide marketshare is growing (up to 25% last year I believe) but Samsung's is growing faster (they grew up to 40%) but since the Galaxy phones are consistently underselling the iPhones worldwide the logical conclusion is that people want a low-price option from Apple.

Right now the smartphone market is a two player game: Apple and Samsung.  It will be interesting to see if Apple can do for their iPhones what they did for their iPods.  Or even if they want to.  If they aren't able to maintain the massive margins (double what anyone else is managing) then they may as well jump in to the shallow end of the pool with everyone else.

Jan 27 13 08:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 8,878
Santa Barbara, California, US


Peter Claver wrote:
I'm the same way.  I got an iPhone 5 because I like the thinness and weight and general design (also I wanted to move all of my devices to the new lightning connector).  But I don't like the taller screen.  I really wish Apple would release a phone with the general design and engineering of the 5 but with the screen size of the 4.   I have no need for a bigger screen on my phone.  I want compactness.

As for these sales numbers.. its pretty clear from the sales data that when compared against comparably priced/featured phones (eg the Samsung Galaxy line) the iPhones outsell them by a wide margin.  It's the low-price phone sales that Apple is missing out on.  Their worldwide marketshare is growing (up to 25% last year I believe) but Samsung's is growing faster (they grew up to 40%) but since the Galaxy phones are consistently underselling the iPhones worldwide the logical conclusion is that people want a low-price option from Apple.

Right now the smartphone market is a two player game: Apple and Samsung.  It will be interesting to see if Apple can do for their iPhones what they did for their iPods.  Or even if they want to.  If they aren't able to maintain the massive margins (double what anyone else is managing) then they may as well jump in to the shallow end of the pool with everyone else.

I always thought an iPhone nano would be awesome... basically the existing square touch screen iPod nano with call capabilities, the headset cord acting as the antenna.
Compact, carry/wear anywhere phone wink

Jan 27 13 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peter Claver
Posts: 26,657
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


R A V E N D R I V E wrote:

lol, haven't seen that before

sounds kinda cool, we actually joked about that at the office a couple years ago:

"instead of spending R&D on a mobile wallet app, how about we make a wallet that holds a phone"

seems a bit of an "all your eggs in one basket" sorta situation to me. Lose your phone... Lose everything.

I like to diversify. smile

Jan 27 13 09:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peter Claver
Posts: 26,657
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Art Silva Photography wrote:

I always thought an iPhone nano would be awesome... basically the existing square touch screen iPod nano with call capabilities, the headset cord acting as the antenna.
Compact, carry/wear anywhere phone wink

that would be pretty cool. The trick will be to keep battery life high. The smaller they get the shorter the life. Those screens and radios are power hungry. But yeah. If they can design their way around the problems it would probably sell like hotcakes.

Jan 27 13 10:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A S Photography
Posts: 1,210
Newark, Delaware, US


R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
yeah if you hold any phone to the end of a contract , people are going to be looking at you funny near the end of the contract wondering why you have such an old device

I have been using cell phones for 15 years.  IIRC, I'm on my third phone, with no break between phones.

Jan 28 13 12:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photoimager
Posts: 4,799
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


I thought this was going to be about how sales of iPhones have not met their targets this last quarter.
Jan 28 13 03:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,332
Houston, Texas, US


How does one carry these larger android phones?  They seem too big to fit in a front pant pocket.  Does one literally have to carry it or, ugh, clip it on your waist like a Borg?
Jan 28 13 04:35 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,078
Orlando, Florida, US


Digitoxin wrote:
How does one carry these larger android phones?  They seem too big to fit in a front pant pocket.  Does one literally have to carry it or, ugh, clip it on your waist like a Borg?

This is my main question too.

The iPhone is a perfectly capable phone in a perfectly usable size factor. I'd love it if it were two inches bigger in the screen, but only when I'm using it. I'm not sure how I would carry it if it were the size of a Note. I really don't want the corner of my phone to stab me in the crotch half the times I sit down.

I've had an iPhone since the first months it was released. I use it every day. It works. I know several people with android phones who got them only months ago and hate them. I also know a girl who got a windows phone and hates it. I also witnessed her phone NOT receive text messages, freeze up twice, require a reboot and require a monthly charge for turn by turn navigation.  On a brand new smart phone.

iPhone isn't perfect for everyone. But it's perfect for me.

Jan 28 13 06:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,126
Phoenix, Arizona, US


-JAY- wrote:

I love my note. My flip case doubles as a wallet.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41nGa0zEX2L._SS400_.jpg

I believe they have these cases for most smartphones, including iPhones.

Jan 28 13 07:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A Lester II
Posts: 497
San Diego, California, US


I have the S3 and it fits in my pockets fine.  I'm a guy so that might matter but my wife puts hers in her back pocket or her purse.

The iPhone has always been to small for me. I used to own one but when I got back to the U.S. I went to the Evo 4g and never went back to a small screened phone
Jan 28 13 10:59 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,547
Washington, District of Columbia, US


love my S3!!

My daughter has a google television, when she returned from college the tv was just sitting around so my husband hooked it up in bedroom. Last week, I'm in the bedroom watching the news and playing with the pics in my phone. I saw a strange symbol on my phone and I touched it...BAM!!! The pics in my phone are on the television. It shocked the hell out of me, I had no idea the devices connected. lol
Jan 28 13 11:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,332
Houston, Texas, US


A Lester II wrote:
I have the S3 and it fits in my pockets fine.  I'm a guy so that might matter but my wife puts hers in her back pocket or her purse.

The iPhone has always been to small for me. I used to own one but when I got back to the U.S. I went to the Evo 4g and never went back to a small screened phone

Yah, I guess that is right.... I just checked the specs of the s3 vs. iPhone 5.  The S3 is approximately 1/2" taller and 1/2" wider (and a tiny bit thicker).  Given that, I am sure that it can fit in a pocket..... Does that little bit of extra real estate make it that much more usable?

Jan 28 13 12:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Raoul Isidro Images wrote:
It's actually pretty stylish to have one of these today...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/31/article-1210159-063CF50E000005DC-828_468x638.jpg

(I plan to buy one off eBay for about $2, then rip out the face plate and stick an iPhone 5 in it's place...)

.

In Soviet Russia, cell phones looked like this:

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs/giant-cell-phone-sculpture.jpeg

They were quite handy and easy to move.

Jan 28 13 12:44 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 6,194
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Digitoxin wrote:
How does one carry these larger android phones?  They seem too big to fit in a front pant pocket.  Does one literally have to carry it or, ugh, clip it on your waist like a Borg?

My note fits easily in either my front or back pockets with no problems (and that's 30" jeans, so it's not like I have giant pockets) Hell, my 7" tablet fits in my back pocket.

Jan 28 13 01:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A Lester II
Posts: 497
San Diego, California, US


Digitoxin wrote:

Yah, I guess that is right.... I just checked the specs of the s3 vs. iPhone 5.  The S3 is approximately 1/2" taller and 1/2" wider (and a tiny bit thicker).  Given that, I am sure that it can fit in a pocket..... Does that little bit of extra real estate make it that much more usable?

You wouldn't believe the difference it makes. The iPhone looks diminutive next to the S3.  I just got PRK (20/12) and I don't know how people use the iPhone, it is so small.  My hands are not that large and I have no problems using it.  My wife has kinda small hands and she uses it just fine.

Jan 28 13 02:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,431
Laguna Beach, California, US


apparently (or at least according to anecdotal evidence) the iphone is the preferred cell phone of hobbit handed folks. lol
Jan 28 13 05:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peter Claver
Posts: 26,657
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


GK photo wrote:
apparently (or at least according to anecdotal evidence) the iphone is the preferred cell phone of hobbit handed folks. lol

Or maybe it's a general preference.

When you look at the phones Samsung sells (the only other real player in the smartphone market besides Apple).. the premium galaxy phones (the S, SII, SIII and the Notes) are *way* outsold by the iPhones.  It's not even close and there's no sign that they'll catch up any time soon.

So Samsung is making up their *huge* lead in overall smartphone sales with the rest of their lineup (the cheaper, smaller phones).

Out of the 27 current llamas on Samsung's website.. only 9 have a screen with a larger diagonal than the iPhone 5.  So it only stands to reason that *most* Android buyers (and thus most smartphone buyers) have screens 4" diagonal or less.

So hobbit handed or not.. the small screens are a pretty clear winner.  Though that is also conflated with much lower prices for the smaller Samsung phone too so whether it's an actual preference or people are settling because they want the lower price is unclear.

Jan 28 13 06:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
EdwardKristopher
Posts: 3,338
Tempe, Arizona, US


Samsung Galaxy, the number 1 sales in the US last year!
Jan 28 13 06:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photoimager
Posts: 4,799
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


Digitoxin wrote:
How does one carry these larger android phones?  They seem too big to fit in a front pant pocket.  Does one literally have to carry it or, ugh, clip it on your waist like a Borg?

Bit behind in the fashion stakes, presumably you haven't seen these:
http://www.willsphotoimaging.co.uk/NewBlog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LDNFashion150912-0707.jpg

Jan 29 13 04:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,332
Houston, Texas, US


photoimager wrote:

Bit behind in the fashion stakes, presumably you haven't seen these:
http://www.willsphotoimaging.co.uk/NewBlog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/LDNFashion150912-0707.jpg

No, I haven't.  And, that looks like an iPhone anyway.

Jan 29 13 03:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,332
Houston, Texas, US


EdwardKristopher wrote:
Samsung Galaxy, the number 1 sales in the US last year!

Can you send me a link to that?

I can't seem to find reliable share data.  Verizon is reporting something else entirely.

Jan 29 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mortonovich
Posts: 5,233
San Diego, California, US


I also ditched my iPhone a while ago. (and I'm TOTALLY and Apple guy.)

Got a Note. Much better!!
Jan 29 13 03:48 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers