login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > can someone help me with this image? Search   Reply
Photographer
BIP
Posts: 3,691
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Hi all
i need to make the background darker on this image particularly on the ground, i left overhead light on
every time i try it looks messy
anyone who wants the raw image please email pykeb@hotmail.com
also any tips to fix it would be appreciated
Ben
Jan 28 13 07:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
my_other_profile
Posts: 666
Ankeny, Iowa, US


What image?
I don't see anything...
Jan 28 13 07:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
zssphotography
Posts: 56
UPPER DARBY, Pennsylvania, US


yea let me see the image i may be able to help
Jan 28 13 07:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BIP
Posts: 3,691
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


oops
http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130128/19/51074113c50a0.jpg
Jan 28 13 07:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
zssphotography
Posts: 56
UPPER DARBY, Pennsylvania, US


if you would like to send me the raw image ill see what i can do autumnashes1515@gmail.com
Jan 28 13 08:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Rob Mac Studio
Posts: 1,105
London, England, United Kingdom


You say it gets messy when you try and darken the background, how are you approaching this?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8426361798_78039f4b7c_z.jpg

Work out how to use masks, skin.. chest area could give you problems. play with crop etc
Jan 28 13 08:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Pictus
Posts: 974
Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


I do not know exactly what you want, here a quickie a bit too dark...
I extracted the model and applied curves...
Here the PSD (unpack with 7-zip or WinRAR) alter the layer opacity to achieve the right darkness level.
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/Pictus171/BG-test_zpsa7190514.jpg
Jan 28 13 08:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BIP
Posts: 3,691
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Pictus wrote:
I do not know exactly what you want, here a quickie a bit too dark...
I extracted the model and applied curves...
Here the PSD (unpack with 7-zip or WinRAR) alter the layer opacity to achieve the right darkness level.
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/Pictus171/BG-test_zpsa7190514.jpg

That looks great , how are you "extracting the model"? i can't seem to get the selection tool to get the chair and the model separated

Jan 28 13 09:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Pictus
Posts: 974
Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


Thanks, most of the times for extraction I use Vertus Fluid Mask and/or Topaz Remask and/or the Photoshop tools, for your model used Vertus Fluid Mask...

For the fellow bellow used the 3 smile
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/Pictus171/WEB%20stuff/squirrel.gif
Jan 28 13 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


As food for thought ... perhaps a different crop (with some canvas extension on top and left), some D&B on the model's clothing, and a little boost to the reds?

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9343/redchair4.jpg
Jan 28 13 09:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ren Murray
Posts: 542
Salem, Oregon, US


Pictus wrote:
Thanks, most of the times for extraction I use Vertus Fluid Mask and/or Topaz Remask and/or the Photoshop tools, for your model used Vertus Fluid Mask...

For the fellow bellow used the 3 smile
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt136/Pictus171/WEB%20stuff/squirrel.gif

WOW! I use Topaz exclusively, and there is no way in hell I could have gotten results like this. The fine hair detail you retained is absolutely amazing!!

I do extractions pretty much every day, and I know that this is not easy to do. Great work!

Jan 28 13 09:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ren Murray
Posts: 542
Salem, Oregon, US


My approach to this...

I used NIK Viveza and just added a number of control points to get rid of the yellow cast on the floor and bring the brightness on it down.

http://www.goldeneraphoto.com/photos/i-h9rZC33/0/XL/i-h9rZC33-XL.jpg
Jan 28 13 10:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
GingerMuse
Posts: 369
STUDIO CITY, California, US


just sent you an email from missmodelchara@gmail.com :-)
Jan 28 13 10:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Pictus
Posts: 974
Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


Golden Era Photography wrote:
WOW! I use Topaz exclusively, and there is no way in hell I could have gotten results like this. The fine hair detail you retained is absolutely amazing!!

I do extractions pretty much every day, and I know that this is not easy to do. Great work!

Thanks, mixing the extraction from Vertus + Remask ended making the fine hair even more visible than the original.

BTW, nice trick with Viveza, very good result.

Jan 28 13 10:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ren Murray
Posts: 542
Salem, Oregon, US


Pictus wrote:

Thanks, mixing the extraction from Vertus + Remask ended making the fine hair even more visible than the original.

BTW, nice trick with Viveza, very good result.

Yeah, no kidding! I can't believe the way you got the whiskers to show up like that. I'll have to look into Vertus.

Jan 29 13 12:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Winston Image
Posts: 44
San Jose, California, US


Golden Era Photography wrote:

WOW! I use Topaz exclusively, and there is no way in hell I could have gotten results like this. The fine hair detail you retained is absolutely amazing!!

I do extractions pretty much every day, and I know that this is not easy to do. Great work!

I totally agree.  Pictus, that's an awesome extraction work that you did!

Winston

Jan 29 13 01:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
pellepiano
Posts: 2,268
Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden


You can also change the background to a more "dramatic" one. I also changed the color of the chair and d&b'd a little too.

http://www.lutzimages.com/studiobild/images/mm23.jpg
Jan 29 13 04:17 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
AKMac
Posts: 316
London, England, United Kingdom


That's a great job Pellepiano
Jan 29 13 05:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KA Style
Posts: 1,577
Syracuse, New York, US


http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/KGlam1/Banners/web1_zpsb67c6e0b.jpg
Jan 29 13 07:27 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


AKMac wrote:
That's a great job Pellepiano

+1

Jan 29 13 09:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Francisco Castro
Posts: 1,668
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Pictus wrote:

Thanks, mixing the extraction from Vertus + Remask ended making the fine hair even more visible than the original.

BTW, nice trick with Viveza, very good result.

Dude-- I would pay money to learn that. That is some crazy masking! Is there a YouTube video I could watch or a book i can get?

Jan 29 13 10:22 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Pictus
Posts: 974
Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil


Pellepiano work is first class!

Thanks Winston.

Francisco Castro, both Topaz Remask and Vertus  have video tutorials, look:
http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/compilati … sources-2/
http://www.vertustech.com/fluidMask/man … rials.html
Jan 29 13 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Francisco Castro
Posts: 1,668
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Pictus wrote:
Pellepiano work is first class!

Thanks Winston.

Francisco Castro, both Topaz Remask and Vertus  have video tutorials, look:
http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/compilati … sources-2/
http://www.vertustech.com/fluidMask/man … rials.html

Thank you very VERY much. That really comes in handy. I really do appreciate it.

Jan 30 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
NotoriousRetouch
Posts: 32
San Antonio, Texas, US


pellepiano wrote:
You can also change the background to a more "dramatic" one. I also changed the color of the chair and d&b'd a little too.

http://www.lutzimages.com/studiobild/images/mm23.jpg

I really like the background you chose. I wouldn't have thought of a more traditional looking backdrop. but I think it works really well here.

Jan 30 13 10:39 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


NotoriousRetouch wrote:
I really like the background you chose. I wouldn't have thought of a more traditional looking backdrop. but I think it works really well here.

Concrete and grunge textures work nicely for this. Drop them in and change blend mode to soft light.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1179/redchairgrunge2.jpg

Jan 30 13 02:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Darkseal Studios
Posts: 59
Warren, Michigan, US


The main difference.... time. Anything with a good result takes more than 2 minutes..............
Jan 30 13 03:42 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers