login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > streak of bad movie rentals, hollywood sucks Search   Reply
Photographer
Jay2G Photography
Posts: 2,213
Milford, Michigan, US


Damn there really has not been very many good films released on to DVD lately has there?  My family and I enjoy renting and watching movies, but lately we have been on a really bad streak of films. The Raven-stunk didn't think it was very good. Looper- not any better.  We had rented The Chernobyl Diaries on demand. Terrible. Watched Hit and Run when we were in Indiana, stinker.  Tonight I took a chance on the Bigfoot lost cost tapes. Didn't expect much but it was almost decent until the end. Then it was just stupid. Never explained a damn thing, everyone was dead and your left to guess what the hell was killing them.

   So what the hell is Hollywood thinking theses days? They are just dumping out these turds one after another. It seems like we have a couple BIG films for summer and then crap for 8 months or so.  Anyone else rented or watched some bad ones lately? Stay away from the above mentioned. Garbage.
Jan 28 13 07:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Kerrek
Posts: 1,394
Orlando, Florida, US


I thought Looper was quite well done, and entertaining. What was it about the movie that you didn't like?
Jan 29 13 04:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay2G Photography
Posts: 2,213
Milford, Michigan, US


Michael Kerrek wrote:
I thought Looper was quite well done, and entertaining. What was it about the movie that you didn't like?

I thought it dragged on and was a bit predictable. The best part was when Bruce Willis paid a visit to Jeff Daniels and the rest of the gang. Beyond that is just seemed like things were written in just to make it longer.  Some movies I don't mind making you guess what happens. But I didn't care being left to assume what he did changed the future.  I just think with THIS film I would have liked to see the kid grown up as a great leader leading in a perfect world. Instead of having to guess or assume that is what happened.

Jan 29 13 05:12 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Ronin_LLC
Posts: 2,012
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Jay2G Photography wrote:
but lately we have been on a really bad streak of films.

The Raven
The Chernobyl Diaries
Hit and Run
Bigfoot lost cost tapes

I think I have found the problem.

Did you stop to consider that maybe its not Hollywood? That its your taste in movies that sucks?

Also with the exception of Looper the other films are Indie films not Hollywood films which as a rule are going to suck epically.

And hey if you don't like what Hollywood is turning out, then do what George Lucas did and make your own. Though that is not all that easy.

Jan 29 13 05:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay2G Photography
Posts: 2,213
Milford, Michigan, US


Ronin_LLC wrote:

I think I have found the problem.

Did you stop to consider that maybe its not Hollywood? That its your taste in movies that sucks?

Also with the exception of Looper the other films are Indie films not Hollywood films which as a rule are going to suck epically.

And hey if you don't like what Hollywood is turning out, then do what George Lucas did and make your own. Though that is not all that easy.

It's not a matter of taste. When your looking for something to rent and there seems to be NOTHING other than Frankenweenie you need to take a shot at other films. It just so happens we have rented some real stinkers. I don't think The Raven was an Indie film either.  smile

Jan 29 13 05:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Kerrek
Posts: 1,394
Orlando, Florida, US


By the way, you're throwing spoilers left and right without any warning. That's not really a good idea.

You've mentioned several times that you were left wanting more... but what you're describing is that you want *resolution*. You're looking for a nice, neat ending wrapped up in a bow, presented easily and with no ambiguity. I know you said you don't mind it sometimes, but it seems to be a very pervasive theme in your complaints. Maybe it's more of a necessity to your enjoyment of the movie than you think.
Jan 29 13 06:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 8,235
Los Angeles, California, US


Jay2G Photography wrote:
Damn there really has not been very many good films released on to DVD lately has there?  My family and I enjoy renting and watching movies, but lately we have been on a really bad streak of films. The Raven-stunk didn't think it was very good. Looper- not any better.  We had rented The Chernobyl Diaries on demand. Terrible. Watched Hit and Run when we were in Indiana, stinker.  Tonight I took a chance on the Bigfoot lost cost tapes. Didn't expect much but it was almost decent until the end. Then it was just stupid. Never explained a damn thing, everyone was dead and your left to guess what the hell was killing them.

   So what the hell is Hollywood thinking theses days? They are just dumping out these turds one after another. It seems like we have a couple BIG films for summer and then crap for 8 months or so.  Anyone else rented or watched some bad ones lately? Stay away from the above mentioned. Garbage.

One would think...you would read Rotten Tomatoes ...Ok Problem solved..Nothing to read here anymore... AND no one forced you to buy crap!!! Put the blame game on You!!!

Jan 29 13 06:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticPhotography
Posts: 7,699
Buffalo, New York, US


The last movie I saw was pretty good: Rocky Balboa.

Before that, the last movie was also okay but I've now forgotten what movie it was: It was a Michael Moore movie.

Let's see, I saw one of the Star War movies (maybe the 4th movie). Before that, maybe Beauty and the Beast or Lion King.

So, I think I've paid for about 4 movies in the last 20 years.

I did catch a movie on TV a month or so ago: The Book of Eli. It was incredibly bad. In fact, it was so bad it was almost memorizing. Like watching a car wreck in slow motion, I kept watch to see what stupid thing would happen next.
Jan 29 13 06:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Jay2G Photography wrote:
Damn there really has not been very many good films released on to DVD lately has there?  My family and I enjoy renting and watching movies, but lately we have been on a really bad streak of films. The Raven-stunk didn't think it was very good. Looper- not any better.  We had rented The Chernobyl Diaries on demand. Terrible. Watched Hit and Run when we were in Indiana, stinker.  Tonight I took a chance on the Bigfoot lost cost tapes. Didn't expect much but it was almost decent until the end. Then it was just stupid. Never explained a damn thing, everyone was dead and your left to guess what the hell was killing them.

   So what the hell is Hollywood thinking theses days? They are just dumping out these turds one after another. It seems like we have a couple BIG films for summer and then crap for 8 months or so.  Anyone else rented or watched some bad ones lately? Stay away from the above mentioned. Garbage.

Hollywood has always cranked out its share of crap and keepers. We just tend to forget about so many of the crappy ones.

It also doesn't help that you've been renting mostly bad movies and thinking that's all that's available.

Jan 29 13 02:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Jay2G Photography wrote:
Damn there really has not been very many good films released on to DVD lately has there?  My family and I enjoy renting and watching movies, but lately we have been on a really bad streak of films. The Raven-stunk didn't think it was very good. Looper- not any better.  We had rented The Chernobyl Diaries on demand. Terrible. Watched Hit and Run when we were in Indiana, stinker.  Tonight I took a chance on the Bigfoot lost cost tapes. Didn't expect much but it was almost decent until the end. Then it was just stupid. Never explained a damn thing, everyone was dead and your left to guess what the hell was killing them.

   So what the hell is Hollywood thinking theses days? They are just dumping out these turds one after another. It seems like we have a couple BIG films for summer and then crap for 8 months or so.  Anyone else rented or watched some bad ones lately? Stay away from the above mentioned. Garbage.

You know there is a movie industry outside Hollywood or the United States for that matter, don't you?

Jan 29 13 02:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Russian Katarina wrote:
You know there is a movie industry outside Hollywood or the United States for that matter, don't you?

Yeah, but who wants to watch a bunch of badly-dubbed Godzilla movies?







Kidding.

Jan 29 13 02:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Orca Bay Images wrote:
Yeah, but who wants to watch a bunch of badly-dubbed Godzilla movies?







Kidding.

Russian dubs are awesome. Just one dude reading over the English voice track - all the roles, regardless of male, female or child.

Jan 29 13 02:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Russian Katarina wrote:
Russian dubs are awesome. Just one dude reading over the English voice track - all the roles, regardless of male, female or child.

That would be eerie. I don't know what would be more disorienting: an adult male voice for a young child or a young child's voice in an adult male.



About fifty years ago, there was an ULTRA-low budget SciFi flick called "The Creeping Terror." The alien spacecraft landing on earth was NASA stock footage of a booster launch, run in reverse. And the alien monster was a bunch of carpet-remnants sewn together; the feet of movie crew could be seen under the carpet and the monster moved so slowly that victims had to fall down so they could be caught. At one point, an entire squad of soldiers fell over in unison. And the rifles and pistols fired at the monster weren't firing; no muzzle flashes, no smoke, just the shooters jerking the weapons to simulate recoil.

But the finishing touch was that they screwed up the sound-track and decided to have someone narrate the whole thing. At times it was along the lines of, "Ted was angry. Susie was frightened." At times the narrator tried to synch up his spoken dialogue with the characters.

I once saw it played on an afternoon "dialing for dollars" type of show and the emcee apparently hadn't been briefed on the movie. At the first breakaway back to the emcee, he was dumbfounded and was clearly struggling for something to say. After an awkward silence, he just said, "       I'm sorry."



There's bad all over the world, but that's not to say the OP is correct.

Jan 29 13 03:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Allen Carbon
Posts: 1,059
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand


Jay2G Photography wrote:

It's not a matter of taste. When your looking for something to rent and there seems to be NOTHING other than Frankenweenie you need to take a shot at other films. It just so happens we have rented some real stinkers. I don't think The Raven was an Indie film either.  smile

Half of those films aren't hollywood.

Jan 29 13 03:55 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers