login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Nude model thread: On being photoshopped Search   Reply
Model
Gina Dee
Posts: 297
BRONX, New York, US


I model nude and I have imperfect skin. (A couple of birth marks, mild discoloration here and there) Of course NOBODY has perfect skin or perfect anything for that matter but that's my issue.

Often photographers correct things like birth marks and blemishes and even tattoos. No matter. I post the pictures in my port that I like.

But lately I find myself wondering if the photoshopping creates an unrealistic perception of what I'm going to look like when I show up for a gig. Then other times I jump from "Wow! That guy did an amazing job making me look great!" to "What?!?! Don't I look good enough just as I am?"

Just curious to know how many other models suffer from photoshop-schizophrenia besides me.

PS. To all you photographers, thank you for doing what you do. I appreciate and understand that the images are yours to do with as you please. (I read the releases) This is just a girl thing.
Jan 29 13 12:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,439
Paris, Île-de-France, France


Always have recent Polaroid type of front back and profile pix, no make up. Just the way you are. Not nude, btw, a bikini or something.

You don't need them in your MM port, but when asked send them. On your profile say you have the above (scars or birthmark) and the pix to show them non retouched.
Jan 29 13 01:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
a raw muse
Posts: 2,941
Brooklyn, New York, US


I have plenty of images where there is no editing or minimal editing to show potential photographers, as well as snapshots to send.

I don't really care if someone edits something, as long as it works for the final image.
Jan 29 13 01:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Gina Dee
Posts: 297
BRONX, New York, US


indefinite anomaly wrote:
I have plenty of images where there is no editing or minimal editing to show potential photographers, as well as snapshots to send.

I don't really care if someone edits something, as long as it works for the final image.

Girl, YOU can pose!

Jan 29 13 01:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,784
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


indefinite anomaly wrote:
I have plenty of images where there is no editing or minimal editing to show potential photographers, as well as snapshots to send.

I don't really care if someone edits something, as long as it works for the final image.

Same.

If someone wants to see an unedited photo I'm more than happy to send them one if they ask.

Jan 29 13 02:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photo212grapher
Posts: 1,538
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Ask the photographer if they will give you the unretouched for the purposes of showing other photographers.

If I'm retouching over a tattoo/birthmark/scar, I've either ask the model if she wants her image with or without. Most want it showing, but a few appreciate showing it can be easily hid. If I know ahead of the edits, I can easily plan on providing both.
Jan 29 13 07:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MatureModelMM
Posts: 900
Detroit, Michigan, US


I always have several recent full length front and rear nude shots that I can send to any photographer or artist during the process of deciding whether to work together. These are taken without any makeup and are never retouched.

I think it is really important that a model makes sure a photographer has seen some shots that show what she really looks like well ahead of time.

I know that some models keep a set of reality photos in an online album that needs a password to open, then they can just give that password to anyone who needs to see them.

I also don't have any problem with reality.  If a photographer chooses to use unedited photos showing exactly how I look, that is fine, and many have done that.
Jan 30 13 07:45 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 34,420
San Francisco, California, US


Everybody has imperfections.  You would be abnormal if you didn't.  So long as you have un-retouched images available or posted, it is never an issue.

If, for example, you had a huge tattoo and it was Photoshopped out in every image you had, I would be disturbed when you showed up with the body art unexpectedly.  If you had five shots with it shopped out, but showed it clearly in the sixth, it would make no difference at all.

I worry more about the liquify tool than covering a few moles.
Jan 30 13 09:56 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


indefinite anomaly wrote:
I have plenty of images where there is no editing or minimal editing to show potential photographers, as well as snapshots to send.

I don't really care if someone edits something, as long as it works for the final image.
NicoleNudes wrote:
Same.

If someone wants to see an unedited photo I'm more than happy to send them one if they ask.

Ditto to all of this.

Jan 30 13 11:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Love_mya
Posts: 276
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Im not a fan of photo shopping my images, i also model nude and im not a fan of make up, i feel i don't need it and i just get paranoid when wearing make up..

I dont have a problem with removing the odd bruise or pimple...
Jan 31 13 05:34 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 1,798
Naperville, Illinois, US


buda bing buda bang zip zang splish splash and wala!

WoW thats Cool!
Jan 31 13 09:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DivaEroticus
Posts: 14,285
Fayetteville, Arkansas, US


Caitin   wrote:
buda bing buda bang zip zang splish splash and wala!

WoW thats Cool!

wut?



OP, as others have stated, keep some updated unretouched photos handy in case you're asked to provide one.  Flaws are flaws, we all have them, and they're usually worse to us, personally, than they are to a prospective collaborator.

Jan 31 13 09:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Amanda Ashley Harris
Posts: 79
Los Angeles, California, US


GPS Studio Services wrote:
I worry more about the liquify tool than covering a few moles.

The rule of thumb when photoshopping in the best way possible should be: if it belongs there leave it in, if it doesn't correct it.
Wrinkles, birthmarks, moles, pimples, red marks, scars, bruises, cat scratches, stretch marks, whatever. Those are not who you are, those are not defining characteristics of the model you present to photographers (unless you were a fetish/alt model which you clearly are not). In glamour, your curves work for you.
I checked your port and I see that you have more than enough work that isn't photoshopped enough to make you out to be someone you are not. You lean more towards glamour and for your genre, you aren't playing the same game everybody else is. What you see is what you get. That may work against you in booking the jobs you want. You are creating an idealized image of beauty, not the real thing. Playboy even photoshops labias, for example. If you want to go towards artistic nudes that include all those wonderful imperfections, I suggest that you create an art nude profile or separate folder.

PS NEVER ever send nude snapshot images of yourself to someone's email address. Unless you are submitting to a reputable magazine and their email address is adam@penthouse.com or sallymae@playboy.com DO not take their word for it. Having amateur quality nude snapshots floating around the internet is NOT the same as having someone rip the nudes from your profile. Bikini or lingerie is fine. Your full nudes are in your profile. When photographers ask for these shots what they need to see is your body shape and skin texture if it's very important. For example, I have sent snapshots to body painters before knowing that the skin imperfections would not hurt my chances of being cast, it was the shape they were looking at.

Jan 31 13 09:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Abbitt Photography
Posts: 11,336
Oakland Acres, Iowa, US


The purpose of a photo often is not to accurately portray something as it looks most of the time.  If you feel images you use in your portfolio don't accurately reflect how you look  and want to be sure photographers have a more accurate image of how you look unaltered, include a couple "polaroids".

It's not just photoshop that influences how an image looks - camera settings, the choice of lens, choice of lighting, make up, wardrobe, set, and many other factors all influence how a final subject looks and how accurately the final image represents it's "normal" state.
Jan 31 13 02:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 1,798
Naperville, Illinois, US


DivaEroticus wrote:

wut?



OP, as others have stated, keep some updated unretouched photos handy in case you're asked to provide one.  Flaws are flaws, we all have them, and they're usually worse to us, personally, than they are to a prospective collaborator.

I was just playing sounds as if I was lightroom a low exposure then photoshop a pimple here and brightning the colors I'm wearing then adding a prop then done. and wow what you can do in photoshop now a days.
I must not of been very clear. LOL

Jan 31 13 08:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,984
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Caitin   wrote:

I was just playing sounds as if I was lightroom a low exposure then photoshop a pimple here and brightning the colors I'm wearing then adding a prop then done. and wow what you can do in photoshop now a days.
I must not of been very clear. LOL

Nope. Thats crystal.

Jan 31 13 11:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Faces2Die4 Photography
Posts: 426
Houston, Texas, US


photo212grapher wrote:
Ask the photographer if they will give you the unretouched for the purposes of showing other photographers.

If I'm retouching over a tattoo/birthmark/scar, I've either ask the model if she wants her image with or without. Most want it showing, but a few appreciate showing it can be easily hid. If I know ahead of the edits, I can easily plan on providing both.

+1

I always discuss these issues before or at the shoot.

Feb 01 13 01:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


Neil Snape wrote:
Always have recent Polaroid type of front back and profile pix, no make up. Just the way you are. Not nude, btw, a bikini or something.

You don't need them in your MM port, but when asked send them. On your profile say you have the above (scars or birthmark) and the pix to show them non retouched.

I agree in general, but since she does do nudes, she really should have nude "Polaroid" shots.  Breasts, especially, can vary greatly between women who look the same in a bikini.

Feb 01 13 03:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


Amanda Ashley Harris wrote:
PS NEVER ever send nude snapshot images of yourself to someone's email address. Unless you are submitting to a reputable magazine and their email address is adam@penthouse.com or sallymae@playboy.com DO not take their word for it. Having amateur quality nude snapshots floating around the internet is NOT the same as having someone rip the nudes from your profile. Bikini or lingerie is fine. Your full nudes are in your profile. When photographers ask for these shots what they need to see is your body shape and skin texture if it's very important. For example, I have sent snapshots to body painters before knowing that the skin imperfections would not hurt my chances of being cast, it was the shape they were looking at.

Realistically, most models who shoot nude for pay are going to wind up with "crappy images floating around."  Relatively few models have the leverage to control the quality (in contrast to the "level") of the people who hire them.  You may well be part of the minority who have enough quality shooters seeking to hire them that you can turn down novices and hacks, but that's not typical.

Feb 01 13 03:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,846
Albany, New York, US


Amanda Ashley Harris wrote:
The rule of thumb when photoshopping in the best way possible should be: if it belongs there leave it in, if it doesn't correct it.

Wrinkles, birthmarks, moles, pimples, red marks, scars, bruises, cat scratches, stretch marks, whatever. Those are not who you are, those are not defining characteristics of the model you present to photographers (unless you were a fetish/alt model which you clearly are not). In glamour, your curves work for you.

This is terrible advice specifically because the reasoning so flawed. If they weren't "meant" to be there, you wouldn't already have them. Also those listed above things are figuratively speaking can be thought of as "life war wounds". They tell a story & many photographers (myself included) find them worth telling & worth telling.

A model's job (more or less) is to help the photographer execute THEIR creative vision. If a model wants those gone, it is her responsibility to cover them up herself. Or if she can't, tell the photographer & let them decide how they want to approach it.

Many times the "flaws" a model thinks they have is not remotely an issue w/ the photographer. Many have ways to draw attention away from the perceived problem area as well as helping pose you in a way that gets them out of the camera frame.

Gina Redd wrote:
But lately I find myself wondering if the photoshopping creates an unrealistic perception of what I'm going to look like when I show up for a gig. Then other times I jump from "Wow! That guy did an amazing job making me look great!" to "What?!?! Don't I look good enough just as I am?"

If you are concerned about the photos you received being an unrealistic representation of your look, it is perfectly acceptable to state things the photographers should be made aware of in your bio. Same w/ providing an unretouched photo (if they ask) or putting a small version in your bio.

Feb 01 13 04:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,984
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Art of the nude wrote:

I agree in general, but since she does do nudes, she really should have nude "Polaroid" shots.  Breasts, especially, can vary greatly between women who look the same in a bikini.

Just because you do nudes doesnt mean you ought to send out nude photos of yourself (especially if theyre snapshots)  to any yahoo on the internet that asks for them.

Her professional nude photos are (probably) not photoshopped so much to the point where her boobs look vastly different from real life.

Feb 01 13 03:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Isis22
Posts: 2,263
Muncie, Indiana, US


I mention in my profile my tattoos and my piercings. Most of my images have not been retouched at all. If something is major mention it in your profile or at the very least in the first message exchanged with a photographer. No body is perfect;)
Feb 02 13 02:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Light and Lens Studio
Posts: 1,152
Sisters, Oregon, US


Pfffttt.  You are drop dead gorgeous.   I shoot lots of nudes.  I do minor retouching of bruises, scuff marks, scratches, etc, etc, on most all of them.  Hard to wander around the high desert without getting at least a smudge of dirt or a scratch or two.  Just comes with the territory. 

Not to worry. 

I would say people who get to work with you are lucky!!

Lovely port!!
Feb 02 13 02:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rebel Photo
Posts: 11,446
Florence, South Carolina, US


Gina Redd wrote:
I model nude and I have imperfect skin. (A couple of birth marks, mild discoloration here and there) Of course NOBODY has perfect skin or perfect anything for that matter but that's my issue.

oh yes they do... a very few have flawless skin.

Gina Redd wrote:
Often photographers correct things like birth marks and blemishes and even tattoos. No matter. I post the pictures in my port that I like.

But lately I find myself wondering if the photoshopping creates an unrealistic perception of what I'm going to look like when I show up for a gig. Then other times I jump from "Wow! That guy did an amazing job making me look great!" to "What?!?! Don't I look good enough just as I am?"

Just curious to know how many other models suffer from photoshop-schizophrenia besides me.

PS. To all you photographers, thank you for doing what you do. I appreciate and understand that the images are yours to do with as you please. (I read the releases) This is just a girl thing.

You don't seem to understand...  IT"S OUR JOB!, which is to make our subjects look the best possible.. retouching is nothing new. Some just do it better than others. It great you embrace all your little flaws, but these images just aren't for your eyes only. Think about it...
I think all models should have one or two un-touched images as reference since "go sees" are all but a thing of the past.

Feb 02 13 02:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Persephone Sweetsin
Posts: 27
Cape May, New Jersey, US


I used to be obsessed with editing my own pics that I or my bf would take of me because I have a daughter (6yrs old), and so I have stretch marks on my belly and some other parts that aren't very noticeable. But I HATED that I had them on my belly, I almost didn't want to model because of them, but I sucked it up cause I figured photographers would edit them out. So some did, and a lot of them that did, I actually didn't like the end result cause it was pretty noticeable that they did something to my belly and I wouldn't use the pics.

But after a 1 and 1/2 of modeling now, towards the summer, I stopped obsessing over it. I was tired of having to pick through pics that were/weren't edited, and so I started putting the pics up that had my stretch marks on them, just to show that I didn't care anymore because it's not an easy fix that I can do, even with using creams, so I stopped all together. I do let photographers know of my flaws and I have it on my profile too about my stretch marks and other flaws, that way it's not a surprise to them when they msg me about setting up a shoot.

I know a lot of models want to look like models with no flaws, but I am a model, and I do have flaws, and I don't mind anymore if they show. If a photog wants to edit them out, that's fine, if they don't want to edit them out, that's fine too, I'll still post them, and I'll still get great feedback cause a lot of other ppl don't care about what flaws ppl have and I like that. But maybe an agent wouldn't be so fond of my marks and there's nothing I can do about it smile
Feb 11 13 06:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rob Photosby
Posts: 2,223
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia


The OP has removed her profile.
Feb 13 13 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers