login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Post my erotic shoots or not? Search   Reply
12last
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


Hi there,

I had a few erotic photoshoots... some more implied and some more explicit (all solo) but no one of those images are in my port.

It's not because I don't feel comfortable with them, I like them and some are pretty good. So sometimes I feel they are wasted. The reason of why didn't upload them it's because I don't want photographers to offer me erotic shoots only cause I'm able and like to shoot whatever. And I don't want to set myself as a erotic model.

How you think?
Jan 29 13 01:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MelissaAnn
Posts: 3,819
Seattle, Washington, US


Ceci L wrote:
Hi there,

I had a few erotic photoshoots... some more implied and some more explicit (all solo) but no one of those images are in my port.

It's not because I don't feel comfortable with them, I like them and some are pretty good. So sometimes I feel they are wasted. The reason of why didn't upload them it's because I don't want photographers to offer me erotic shoots only cause I'm able and like to shoot whatever. And I don't want to set myself as a erotic model.

How you think?

If you don't want to get an increased amount of offers to do erotic work, then don't post them.  If you don't mind such offers, go ahead and post them.

Jan 29 13 01:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhotographybyT
Posts: 7,596
Monterey, California, US


You're still going to get asked to shoot erotic probably because you have erotic listed in the genre part of your profile.

My view is that if you like the photos enough to post them, then post them. You can always turn down requests from photographers who want to shoot erotic themes. But if you're always bombarded with those requests, you can update your profile to indicate that you're not interested in shooting erotic themes at the moment or that you're limiting erotic themes for 'the right' photographer (or something like that).

Last but not least, if you do post them and it just doesn't work out, you can always remove them.
Jan 29 13 01:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
CBs Photography
Posts: 554
Ontario, California, US


You don't want to post any pictures that could come back and "bite you in the butt" in regards to your future employment opportunities.  I recently had a former model ask me to remove any implied shots I had of her online because she was applying for nursing jobs.  I checked my online portfolios and informed her that I didn't have any implied shots of her online any more.  When I googled her name I found the picture she wanted removed but it was on a website that she belonged to at one time so she was going to have to contact them to have it removed.  Bottom line, you never know where the pictures could end up and you may not have control to remove them.
Jan 29 13 01:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,985
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Youre good for as much skin as you'll show. Once you go topless, its rare that someone will want to book you to keep your shirt on. Once you go bottomless, its rare someone will want to book you to keep your pants on. Once you go erotic, its rare someone will want to book you for implied art nudes.


Thats not to say it DOESNT happen, surely it does. In general though, the crowd will want you to get as naked as youre exhibiting in your portfolio, and nobody likes to hear "youre not good enough for me to do THAT with, I only do THAT with certain photographers"


So if you wont shoot it with EVERYONE and you also dont want to be hassled about it, dont post it.


It sucks, Ive always had work that Im really proud of that Id love to post but the minute I do thats all anyone wants to shoot me for, and its the kind of work where I dont really want a BAD picture of me like that out there. I can deal with all the bad art nudes and cheesy glamour nudes...but bad erotica, no thanks hmm


Edit: I also see that youre looking to get paid. Models who are hobbyists only can usually get away with "I wont shoot that with just anyone" but when youre charging for your modelling, people think they can pay you to do everything you show in your portfolio, and if you say no, then theyre just not offering enough money (or they get really mad about how youre a "liar" or something...) Stores dont advertise items a person cant actually buy.
Jan 29 13 01:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
4 R D
Posts: 1,000
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico


Looking at your current port, it does not matter. You will get such offers as it is.
Jan 29 13 01:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,985
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


4 R D wrote:
Looking at your current port, it does not matter. You will get such offers as it is.

yes, but currently she can counter with "No, I dont do that type of work" and thats the end of it. (or should be)


If she posts the images, and someone asks her to shoot something like those images, if she doesnt like that persons work, she either has to say "No, I dont do that type of work WITH YOU", or accept a job thats going to make shitty erotica photos of her and deal with having erotic photos she doesnt like of herself out there.

Jan 29 13 01:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,361
Belmont, California, US


MelissaAnn  wrote:
If you don't want to get an increased amount of offers to do erotic work, then don't post them.  If you don't mind such offers, go ahead and post them.

Well said.

Jan 29 13 01:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
4 R D
Posts: 1,000
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico


Laura UnBound wrote:
yes, but currently she can counter with "No, I dont do that type of work" and thats the end of it. (or should be)


If she posts the images, and someone asks her to shoot something like those images, if she doesnt like that persons work, she either has to say "No, I dont do that type of work WITH YOU", or accept a job thats going to make shitty erotica photos of her and deal with having erotic photos she doesnt like of herself out there.

You make a good point, but I think the OP's main concern was about being typecasted, not about the hassle of replying to unwanted inquiries.

Jan 29 13 01:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


Thanks for the responses.

I think Laura is right.

Like now I am more easy to say "no" or say "yes but...", and if I think the photographer can make great shoots, then go on.

And will not make me receive all and only this kind of offers.

I think I let it be like now. The people can guess I do that, or I can do, but is not a promise.
Jan 29 13 02:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,180
Salem, Oregon, US


i decide to put only one spread shot in my portfolio to show i can do it but not to over-emphasize that because most models are "easy on the hooha"

good news is it's easy to make a change if it goes in the wrong direction
Jan 29 13 02:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jordan Bunniie
Posts: 1,618
Los Angeles, California, US


MelissaAnn  wrote:

If you don't want to get an increased amount of offers to do erotic work, then don't post them.  If you don't mind such offers, go ahead and post them.

/thread.

Jan 29 13 03:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
IDiivil
Posts: 3,887
Los Angeles, California, US


Post what you're willing to work smile
Jan 29 13 03:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Marcus Studios
Posts: 8,416
Los Angeles, California, US


Why not have two portfolios in different names:

One for 'straight' work and one for 'erotic' work'

Many MM models do just that and make money doing both

KM
Jan 29 13 03:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


IDiivil wrote:
Post what you're willing to work smile

I am willing to work on erotic. Just don't want it become my "must".

Jan 29 13 03:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


Yes, please.
Jan 29 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Why not have two portfolios in different names:

One for 'straight' work and one for 'erotic' work'

Many MM models do just that and make money doing both

KM

That's something maybe can try but 2 portfolios seems busy to take care I think and I afraid it will make me confuse within them.

Jan 29 13 03:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Supermodel Photographer
Posts: 3,309
Oyster Bay, New York, US


"Ya va a venir el día, ponte el sueño."  — César Vallejo
Jan 29 13 03:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Harold Rose
Posts: 2,925
Calhoun, Georgia, US


Ceci L wrote:
Hi there,

I had a few erotic photoshoots... some more implied and some more explicit (all solo) but no one of those images are in my port.

It's not because I don't feel comfortable with them, I like them and some are pretty good. So sometimes I feel they are wasted. The reason of why didn't upload them it's because I don't want photographers to offer me erotic shoots only cause I'm able and like to shoot whatever. And I don't want to set myself as a erotic model.

How you think?

I think you have a very good explanation for your choice.   Exprexssing your self is never wasted..  even if it is not public..     Self Satisfaction..

Jan 29 13 03:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,249
Hayward, California, US


are you still willing to shoot erotic work?  Then it would be prudent to add some to your portfolio.  As someone who shoots that type of work, I might not contact a model if she doesn't have any work I consider erotic, even if she indicates she does that type of work...

Just using you as an example, if I was in your area, I probably wouldn't contact you with what you have in your portfolio now.  Just because I don't see anything in there that would lead me to believe you and I have the same definition of erotica.  That said, we MAY have a similar definition, but I'll never know!
Jan 29 13 03:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ZingArts
Posts: 15,077
Westcliffe, Colorado, US


Why should I eat plain when you are offering me chocolate? Keep the menu with what you are willing to cook.
Jan 29 13 03:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
hbutz New York
Posts: 3,143
New York, New York, US


My two cents: you will always be judged by the worst image in your portfolio.
Jan 29 13 03:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


hbutz New York wrote:
My two cents: you will always be judged by the worst image in your portfolio.

Just curious, which one you think is my worst??

ZingArts wrote:
Why should I eat plain when you are offering me chocolate? Keep the menu with what you are willing to cook.

Yes but... if I want my menu to be big??

Damon Banner wrote:
are you still willing to shoot erotic work?  Then it would be prudent to add some to your portfolio.  As someone who shoots that type of work, I might not contact a model if she doesn't have any work I consider erotic, even if she indicates she does that type of work...

Just using you as an example, if I was in your area, I probably wouldn't contact you with what you have in your portfolio now.  Just because I don't see anything in there that would lead me to believe you and I have the same definition of erotica.  That said, we MAY have a similar definition, but I'll never know!

I still willing to do, of course.

What about if I have a password protected erotic album??  So I can choose give to who.. But I afraid if that make the same effect as if I post normally..

Harold Rose wrote:
I think you have a very good explanation for your choice.   Exprexssing your self is never wasted..  even if it is not public..     Self Satisfaction..

That's also right.

Jan 29 13 04:05 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 5,917
New York, New York, US


You might want to think of opening another account simply for erotic work and not referencing your main account.  Rest assured that

1-  If anyone cares enough to do the searching, they'll find out and

2-  Any one that wants to shoot erotica with you (which is likely to be anyone that wants to shoot erotica) will probably make the offer no matter what you say.

All IMHO as always, of course.
Jan 29 13 04:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,249
Hayward, California, US


Ceci L wrote:

hbutz New York wrote:
My two cents: you will always be judged by the worst image in your portfolio.

Just curious, which one you think is my worst??


Yes but... if I want my menu to be big??


I still willing to do, of course.

What about if I have a password protected erotic album??  So I can choose give to who.. But I afraid if that make the same effect as if I post normally..

I don't even bother asking for passwords for that.  So for ME, at least, a locked folder is basically the same as not having any erotic work up. 

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I do clarify, but it isn't a majority of the time.  If you aren't satisfied with the erotic work you currently have, get some better!  I know not easy, but...

Jan 29 13 04:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Ceci L
Posts: 235
Villena, Valencia, Spain


Damon Banner wrote:
I don't even bother asking for passwords for that.  So for ME, at least, a locked folder is basically the same as not having any erotic work up. 

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I do clarify, but it isn't a majority of the time.  If you aren't satisfied with the erotic work you currently have, get some better!  I know not easy, but...

Oh I'm very happy with the erotics I have. But as I said I don't want to set a "line" to my self. And just afraid if I post them I will put that line there.

Jan 29 13 04:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Laura UnBound
Posts: 26,985
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


4 R D wrote:
You make a good point, but I think the OP's main concern was about being typecasted, not about the hassle of replying to unwanted inquiries.

The idea still applies. If you dont show it to everyone, they can *guess* all they want and you can say "youre wrong, Im not the erotic model you thought I was...but I WILL shoot X Y or Z if that interests you/go away im not interested"

Once you post it, you cant say "no Im not an erotic model" because, obviously, you are and youre showing it to the world.




And the only reason I keep harping on it is that it changes what you get booked for and the OP is trying to make money. Right now she can do a ton of art nude and glamour nude shoots for pay and so what if the photos are crappy, theyre just art/glamour nudes. Once she starts showing that she does erotica, the art nude and glamour nude bookings drop off and everyone wants to pay you to tuck your ankles behind your head instead. Which is fine, do it or decline it or whatever, but you might start to lose bookings. Theres some moody "artists" who get really upset when they hear "your work isnt good enough for me to tuck my ankles behind my head...but you can still pay me to shoot art nudes" and rather than (as they see it) *settle* for boring ol' art nudes, theyll just find a different model entirely (who will put their ankles behind their head)


In short: it changes your career, and if you dont want to shoot it with everybody, its just a hell of a lot less hassle to not post it.

(coming from someone who had to take all the erotica out of their portfolio because I got tired of only getting booked for bad photos of me looking like I was masturbating / getting booked for "art nude" shoots and then being expected to shoot other genres because "you show it in your portfolio, what do you mean you wont shoot it!?" )

Jan 29 13 04:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,249
Hayward, California, US


Ceci L wrote:

Oh I'm very happy with the erotics I have. But as I said I don't want to set a "line" to my self. And just afraid if I post them I will put that line there.

Okay, I see. 

I'm not a model, so keep that in mind for what I say next.

Some people who want to shoot that with you are going to ask regardless of what you have up, so it may not hurt adding a few (maybe it will hurt, like I said, I'm not a model). 

You just have to say "No" to offers you don't want.

Jan 29 13 04:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Steven A Thompson
Posts: 546
Los Angeles, California, US


I think you need to consider what you have your portfolio for. In general, your portfolio is here either as your primary marketing tool to generate new business, or it is a place to share, discuss, and show off your art. Those can be two very different goals. When I'm looking for a model for a project, I'm looking at a portfolio to show me what the model is capable of, what type of work she does, and ultimately what she looks like. It's nice to see some pretty pictures, but ultimately I want a good shot that represents what we are working with - look wise, what potential there is and what the model can accomplish. That is where it is important to use your portfolio to market who you are and what you are capable of. If I am looking to shoot nudes, fashion, swimwear or erotic, I'm going to look for a portfolio that demonstrates nude, fashion, swimwear or erotic or whatever I'm looking to do. I'll probably pass over a model that doesn't demonstrate the type of work I am doing, unless perhaps I have an ongoing dialog or there is some special aspect of that model that I wish to approach her about.

On the other hand, some are here to share their work, get feedback and discuss their art. If that is your primary goal, then knock yourself out and let's see what you can do! Just be aware that it may be interpreted as an "ad" for the type of work you are prepared to do and you will get approached about it.

If you want both, you may consider something like DeviantArt.com to show off the stuff you "like" and MM to advertise your services.

Just a thought.
Jan 29 13 04:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Clinton Winant
Posts: 30
Solana Beach, California, US


The consensus seems to be show what you are interested in doing in your portfolio.  Having said that, two models have told me they were really hassled by photographers they did not want to work with after I posted photos of them that had an erotic flavor.

Photographers who won't take no for an answer just make everyone's life more difficult.
Jan 29 13 06:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photo212grapher
Posts: 1,538
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


I worked with a couple of models who use two MM portfolios. One is a "no nudes" and the other is "Nudes: Yes" and only shows nudes.

Message the nude portfolio version, and you'll not get a reply. Message her "no nudes" and arrange a shoot, and she might provide you with the MM# to the nudes portfolio.

Not sure I like that idea, but it seems to work for them.
Jan 29 13 07:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mask Photo
Posts: 1,382
Fremont, California, US


Late to the party but I just thought I'd add that I'm MORE likely to work with a model who does nudes/erotic for my mainstream work. Reason: I know I'm not going to get blowback when I suggest an idea that's "too racy".

"It's like a fashion shoot, with trashy stripper clothes!"

"All your parts will be covered, but you have to be nude while i paint you with latex"

"Fully clothed, but you'll be making an "o" face"

All of these ideas, and more, I've had shot down in the past for being too racy, while models who are accustomed to doing much more than this are fine with it.
Jan 30 13 01:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bravoscape
Posts: 259
Frederick, Maryland, US


I generally ask the model for examples of work if I plan on shooting and do not see work in her port - but lists the genre. Haven't had an issue yet.
Jan 30 13 06:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 739
Corvallis, Oregon, US


Laura UnBound wrote:
(coming from someone who had to take all the erotica out of their portfolio because I got tired of only getting booked for bad photos of me looking like I was masturbating / getting booked for "art nude" shoots and then being expected to shoot other genres because "you show it in your portfolio, what do you mean you wont shoot it!?" )

Although you have to admit that you also had some REALLY good erotica.

Jan 30 13 06:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
4 R D
Posts: 1,000
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico


Laura UnBound wrote:

The idea still applies. If you dont show it to everyone, they can *guess* all they want and you can say "youre wrong, Im not the erotic model you thought I was...but I WILL shoot X Y or Z if that interests you/go away im not interested"

Once you post it, you cant say "no Im not an erotic model" because, obviously, you are and youre showing it to the world.




And the only reason I keep harping on it is that it changes what you get booked for and the OP is trying to make money. Right now she can do a ton of art nude and glamour nude shoots for pay and so what if the photos are crappy, theyre just art/glamour nudes. Once she starts showing that she does erotica, the art nude and glamour nude bookings drop off and everyone wants to pay you to tuck your ankles behind your head instead. Which is fine, do it or decline it or whatever, but you might start to lose bookings. Theres some moody "artists" who get really upset when they hear "your work isnt good enough for me to tuck my ankles behind my head...but you can still pay me to shoot art nudes" and rather than (as they see it) *settle* for boring ol' art nudes, theyll just find a different model entirely (who will put their ankles behind their head)


In short: it changes your career, and if you dont want to shoot it with everybody, its just a hell of a lot less hassle to not post it.

(coming from someone who had to take all the erotica out of their portfolio because I got tired of only getting booked for bad photos of me looking like I was masturbating / getting booked for "art nude" shoots and then being expected to shoot other genres because "you show it in your portfolio, what do you mean you wont shoot it!?" )

Fair enough, though I get the impression that the origin of your concern is the quality of pictures, not the genres they belong to or how much skin you are actually showing. A bondage shot by Ken Marcus is way more important for your port than a safe art nude with me. I do agree though that a shitty erotic photo can do more harm than a shitty casual portrait.

I certainly cannot comment from the model perspective on how your choices affect work negotiation but if the things I read in this forum are true, there is no model here who does not have to deal with some shit from some guy who wishes her choices were different. It comes with the job, I guess.

Jan 30 13 09:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
name removed3
Posts: 264
Boston, Massachusetts, US


you can post them and always say 'no'. Your port is pretty steamy so im not sure what your point is
Jan 30 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
hbutz New York
Posts: 3,143
New York, New York, US


Ceci L wrote:

Just curious, which one you think is my worst??

Hopefully you didn't post your worst image on the web.  Critiques need be directed to the proper forum.

Jan 30 13 03:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Salo
Posts: 8,015
Olney, Maryland, US


Ceci L wrote:
Hi there,

I had a few erotic photoshoots... some more implied and some more explicit (all solo) but no one of those images are in my port.

It's not because I don't feel comfortable with them, I like them and some are pretty good. So sometimes I feel they are wasted. The reason of why didn't upload them it's because I don't want photographers to offer me erotic shoots only cause I'm able and like to shoot whatever. And I don't want to set myself as a erotic model.

How you think?

I don't think they are wasted.  You will always have them and enjoy them.  Many women who are not models have an erotic album for their enjoyment and old age.

Consider hanging an enlargement over your bed.

Jan 30 13 03:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
varton
Posts: 2,264
New York, New York, US


Ceci L wrote:
Hi there,

I had a few erotic photoshoots... some more implied and some more explicit (all solo) but no one of those images are in my port.

It's not because I don't feel comfortable with them, I like them and some are pretty good. So sometimes I feel they are wasted. The reason of why didn't upload them it's because I don't want photographers to offer me erotic shoots only cause I'm able and like to shoot whatever. And I don't want to set myself as a erotic model.

How you think?

I agree with you. I personally don't think a model can only pull off whatever she posts in her port. Some do. Looking your pics, I can already picture you in many different genres including erotic. Keep it up, love your port.

Jan 30 13 05:39 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 35,659
Asheville, North Carolina, US


I kept erotic work off of MM, and mostly booked fetish and erotic work through FetLife and the website I used to have. You will get enough offers, that you will be able to be selective about it, but the moment more explicit work hits MM or other mainstream sites, you will narrow your options for selectivity. I did a lot of stuff for private collectors, so most of that was never even seen on any portfolio, anywhere. It went straight to the consumer.

Actually, even when I was doing lots of fetish videos and whatnot, it was not apparent to the larger MM population, so people on here continued to offer me art nudes, and more accessible work. Most people didn't know.

Just keep it separate. Use discretion. It's fun to explore that side of your creativity, as long as you're prepared to manage two identities.
Jan 30 13 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers