login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > RIP X-Games Caleb Moore Search   Reply
Photographer
Micyl Sweeney
Posts: 7,442
Madison, Alabama, US


Such tragic news. Caleb was amazing. I was watching the X Games when his accident happened.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol … e/1880587/

Here is a video of his crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMiHILA6lo

Doesn't look all that bad until you see it in slow motion from another angle. The front of the sled comes down on his head.
Jan 31 13 10:15 am  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Platform Artist
Posts: 157
Chicago, Illinois, US


Micyl Sweeney wrote:
Sarah Burke died during last years X-Games and now Caleb Moore.

Such tragic news. Caleb was amazing. I was watching the X Games when his accident happened.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol … e/1880587/

Here is a video of his crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMiHILA6lo

Doesn't look all that bad until you see it in slow motion from another angle. The front of the sled comes down on his head.

my prayers will go out to him today .

Jan 31 13 10:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,283
Hayward, California, US


I like the big flips as much as anyone, but I would prefer them to pull back on doing all those things on these big machines....  Otherwise, things like this will keep happening.
Jan 31 13 10:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,322
Salem, Oregon, US


it's one thing if an athlete gets injured. quite another if they die. i prefer sports where the danger is more along the lines of a concussion and broken bones.

they have big balls and steel ovaries. you have to give them credit for that. or they're just adrenaline junkies who can't live without the rush.
Jan 31 13 10:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Frank Lewis Photography
Posts: 12,440
Winter Park, Florida, US


I'm sorry for his family's loss.
Jan 31 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
37photog
Posts: 692
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


Ughhh, sad to see.  Not really a fan of seeing ESPN Xgames whatever posting it on their official Youtube site with a commercial in front of it?!   It'd be one thing if a viewer posted it, but I don't think it should officially be being used.  Sad though, RIP man.
Jan 31 13 11:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,507
San Diego, California, US


He was incredibly talented and far too young to be lost. Very sad news.

RIP
Jan 31 13 02:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JessieLeigh
Posts: 2,013
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


What a tragic event. I saw the crash when it happened and couldn't help but gasp out loud. My heart really goes out to his brother, who as also a competitor in the event. sad

Micyl Sweeney wrote:
Sarah Burke died during last years X-Games and now Caleb Moore.

Sarah actually died in training for the games, not during the games. Her accident took place in Park City, Utah while the X Games have been held in Aspen, Colorado since 2002. The Winter X Games of 2012 was dedicated to her, but she sadly passed before those games began.

Caleb is the first and only athlete to die during the winter X games so far, and the games have existed for 17 years. Hopefully it remains that way for many more years as well.

Jan 31 13 03:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Little Ginger Lamb
Posts: 62
Atlanta, Georgia, US


twoharts wrote:
it's one thing if an athlete gets injured. quite another if they die. i prefer sports where the danger is more along the lines of a concussion and broken bones.

they have big balls and steel ovaries. you have to give them credit for that. or they're just adrenaline junkies who can't live without the rush.

He died from complications INVOLVING a concussion. It can happen in football, too.

Jan 31 13 03:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Russian Katarina
Posts: 1,413
London, England, United Kingdom


Millions of people drop dead every year for no apparent reason. Millions get hit by cars, planes down, people get struck by lightning and die instantaneously. There's a great many ways to die young and swiftly, but few people die while they're doing something they love.

I'm a diver and that can be dangerous too, maybe it will kill me one day, yet all the wonderful experiences I've made will still be worth it. That young man died doing something he loved, he knew the risks and you can be sure it was worth it to him. That's good enough for me and a better death than dying of old age and never having lived.

Some lights burn quicker, but they also burn brighter.
Jan 31 13 05:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jennifer Barker
Posts: 8,010
Houston, Arkansas, US


Russian Katarina wrote:
Millions of people drop dead every year for no apparent reason. Millions get hit by cars, planes down, people get struck by lightning and die instantaneously. There's a great many ways to die young and swiftly, but few people die while they're doing something they love.

I'm a diver and that can be dangerous too, maybe it will kill me one day, yet all the wonderful experiences I've made will still be worth it. That young man died doing something he loved, he knew the risks and you can be sure it was worth it to him. That's good enough for me and a better death than dying of old age and never having lived.

Some lights burn quicker, but they also burn brighter.

Well said.

Jan 31 13 05:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-Ira
Posts: 2,180
New York, New York, US


Russian Katarina wrote:
Millions of people drop dead every year for no apparent reason. Millions get hit by cars, planes down, people get struck by lightning and die instantaneously. There's a great many ways to die young and swiftly, but few people die while they're doing something they love.

I'm a diver and that can be dangerous too, maybe it will kill me one day, yet all the wonderful experiences I've made will still be worth it. That young man died doing something he loved, he knew the risks and you can be sure it was worth it to him. That's good enough for me and a better death than dying of old age and never having lived.

Some lights burn quicker, but they also burn brighter.

Agreed.  He knew the risks.  I imagine he took every precaution to ensure it didn't happen...nor did he expect it to happen.  Ultimately he died pursuing what he loved and aspired to become.  I believe he lived his life to the fullest.  It should not have ended this soon but accidents do happen.

I am sorry for the loss of his family and friends.  His spirit, courage, and ambition will live on within those who respect him.

I wish they would stop replaying the video of his accident.  Anyone interested in seeing the accident knowing the outcome is fulfilling some sort of morbid curiosity. 

Disclaimer:  People directly involved in this activity should review the video if it helps them minimize the risk of repeating the accident.

Jan 31 13 06:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Micyl Sweeney
Posts: 7,442
Madison, Alabama, US


JessieLeigh wrote:
What a tragic event. I saw the crash when it happened and couldn't help but gasp out loud. My heart really goes out to his brother, who as also a competitor in the event. sad


Sarah actually died in training for the games, not during the games. Her accident took place in Park City, Utah while the X Games have been held in Aspen, Colorado since 2002. The Winter X Games of 2012 was dedicated to her, but she sadly passed before those games began.

Caleb is the first and only athlete to die during the winter X games so far, and the games have existed for 17 years. Hopefully it remains that way for many more years as well.

My bad, from my understanding I thought Sarah died as a result of injuries she suffered during the X Games.

I will correct my op.

Jan 31 13 07:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Banner
Posts: 85,283
Hayward, California, US


-Ira wrote:
Disclaimer:  People directly involved in this activity should review the video if it helps them minimize the risk of repeating the accident.

That is my hope.  Though I know better.

I've been watching x games off and on since they started.

The tendency is to push the envelope, which is, obviously, the entire point of an extreme sport.  So routines that got big scores 4 years ago (or last year) aren't scored the same this year.  You have to go bigger.

1080 to 1200 to whatever.  to double back flips, etc etc.  blah.

Jan 31 13 07:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-Ira
Posts: 2,180
New York, New York, US


Damon Banner wrote:

That is my hope.  Though I know better.

I've been watching x games off and on since they started.

The tendency is to push the envelope, which is, obviously, the entire point of an extreme sport.  So routines that got big scores 4 years ago (or last year) aren't scored the same this year.  You have to go bigger.

1080 to 1200 to whatever.  to double back flips, etc etc.  blah.

Agreed.  Even though they practice these tricks thousands of time into a Styrofoam pit I do think there is a limit.  Perhaps we've reached that limit.  How do you keep building the sport?

Jan 31 13 07:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ras Media
Posts: 7
New York, New York, US


No one wants to get hurt during sports or just having fun with friends. Too young to die. I want to be 80yo and having fun like I'm 20 (wifey by my side)
Jan 31 13 07:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Micyl Sweeney
Posts: 7,442
Madison, Alabama, US


Damon Banner wrote:
I like the big flips as much as anyone, but I would prefer them to pull back on doing all those things on these big machines....  Otherwise, things like this will keep happening.

I doubt things like this will keep happening. Other riders will learn and adjust what needs to be adjusted. Most of the people in the X Games are not amateurs anymore. They are pros at what they do. They will learn from this and teach the new competitors.

However they will be those like Caleb, Shawn White, etc who push the limits. Something going wrong can happen even in the slightest of tricks so pushing the limits IMHO doesn't increase the chances of something going wrong. Esp considering the training that they do. Not like they push the limits without training. People like Caleb, Shawn, etc know the risk, know how to train, are pros at what they do, etc.

Unfortunately he probally knew that he was not in the position to do the trick yet he tried it anyway.

We are talking about a 4 time X Games medalist who has pulled off that trick before.

Even one of the announcers was talking about how Caleb had to know that he would not clear the landing as expected.

IMHO I think he knew he couldn't pull it off however he commited anyway thinking he could handle the result of not clearing the landing as planned. Not the first time he has crashed.

Unfortunately the skis dug in, the snowmobile flipped (end over end) on top of his head and so on.

If you look at the video of other crashes when the landing is miscalculated usually the crash is not that bad when one misses the landing like planned however the sled came down on him like a rocket. Straight down (end over end) with the front of the sled hitting his head. The last POV in the video shows what I am talking about.

So IMHO I think he knew he didn't have the height however never imagined the crash would be so violent and/or that he could land without a crash.

At least one of the last memories he had was of the crowd cheering and the feeling of doing what he loved. Before the crash he was definitely in an wonderful emotional state that alot of us never get to experience.

Jan 31 13 07:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Micyl Sweeney
Posts: 7,442
Madison, Alabama, US


-Ira wrote:

Agreed.  Even though they practice these tricks thousands of time into a Styrofoam pit I do think there is a limit.  Perhaps we've reached that limit.  How do you keep building the sport?

People like Caleb, Shawn and others build the sport. If others feel that they need to surpass the ones who are a cut above than that is on them not the sport.

I was watching Shawn's runs in the finals of the Superpipe and it was amazing how the crowd reacted. He is a cut above and people like Shawn and Caleb are who most come to see.

The problem is with those who are not a cut above and try to be. However there is no way to stop that without fucking over the ones who are a cut above.

It would be like NASCAR telling Smoke, Gordon, Kasey and others to tone it down because others are trying to be like them.

You cannot make a sport something it is not because it is those who are a cut above that make the NFL, NASCAR, X-Games, etc what they are.

Jan 31 13 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-Ira
Posts: 2,180
New York, New York, US


Micyl Sweeney wrote:

People like Caleb, Shawn and others build the sport. If others feel that they need to surpass the ones who are a cut above than that is on them not the sport.

I was watching Shawn's runs in the finals of the Superpipe and it was amazing how the crowd reacted. He is a cut above and people like Shawn and Caleb are who most come to see.

The problem is with those who are not a cut above and try to be. However there is no way to stop that without fucking over the ones who are a cut above.

It would be like NASCAR telling Smoke, Gordon, Kasey and others to tone it down because others are trying to be like them.

You cannot make a sport something it is not because it is those who are a cut above that make the NFL, NASCAR, X-Games, etc what they are.

Agreed.  I am certainly not the person to define what they are capable of.

Those athletes don't even know what they are capable of.  Every time someone accomplishes a new trick they move the bar.  That's what drives them...and pushes the limits.

Jan 31 13 08:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Honey Stinger
Posts: 6,338
Madison, Wisconsin, US


Mortality isn't something most young men think about. You have to respect a person that has passion and courage like he did.

"Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another."

-Ernest Hemingway
Jan 31 13 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


RIP tragic.

25 years old is way too young.
Jan 31 13 08:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
EdwardKristopher
Posts: 3,375
Tempe, Arizona, US


Micyl Sweeney wrote:
Such tragic news. Caleb was amazing. I was watching the X Games when his accident happened.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ol … e/1880587/

Here is a video of his crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMiHILA6lo

Doesn't look all that bad until you see it in slow motion from another angle. The front of the sled comes down on his head.

Wow...!  All the Best to his Family and Friends!

Jan 31 13 08:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Micyl Sweeney
Posts: 7,442
Madison, Alabama, US


-Ira wrote:
Agreed.  I am certainly not the person to define what they are capable of.

Those athletes don't even know what they are capable of.  Every time someone accomplishes a new trick they move the bar.  That's what drives them...and pushes the limits.

Don't get me wrong, I agree, there needs to be some imposed limits for the sake of safety however can they do such without making the X Games unetertaining as the NFL is trying to do with pro football.

If the powers that be take the NASCAR approach to safety than the X Games will still be entertaining because NASCAR has made racing safe yet they still allow them to push the limits with bump drafting, etc.

The NFL on the other hand is ruining pro football with all thier ignorant safety rules such as one being down when they are barely touching the ground, the QB being down when in the grasp, people accidently hitting the QB or kicker is now a penality, one who does not deliberately mean to do a helmet to helmet hit is a penalty, barely grapping the face mask is a penalty and so on.

I sure hope the X Games takes the NASCAR approach to safety and not the NFL approach.

Jan 31 13 10:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R A V E N D R I V E
Posts: 15,867
New York, New York, US


always tough/suspenseful to watch a video knowing a man is about to die


wish the family would have released more information, I am always curious about what caused death, we are only left to speculate that the machine hit his head in the part of the video where we think it did. But since he talked to reporters after they picked him up, how did his situation deteriorate, what happened in the hospital, ahhh

not all share my curiosity on these subjects, so RIP
Jan 31 13 11:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
modeled
Posts: 9,334
San Diego, California, US


Under the headline "It's only a matter of time before someone dies at the X-Games", Brent Rose, a writer for the sports site Deadspin, described his dismay at the multiple accidents – including Moore's – he witnessed at this year's games, held in Aspen. Rose's report was published Thursday morning, before news spread of Moore's death.

"As I watched these athletes fly over my head, it really hit home just how miraculous the zero-casualty rate was," Rose wrote. "'Maybe it's safer than it looks,' I thought for a brief moment. And then they started dropping like planes over Midway."

Feb 01 13 05:32 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers