login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouching Software Search   Reply
Photographer
FSly
Posts: 25
Orange, New Jersey, US


I was wonder is there any retouching software that anyone can recommend thats a suitable alternative to photoshop?
Jan 31 13 09:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 346
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


I would recommend Lightroom 4 and as an adon OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 7.  But, if you're really going to be a serious photography, PS6 is a necessity (along with Lightroom 4).  Photography is not an inexpensive hobby or business to enter.
Jan 31 13 09:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Images by MR
Posts: 7,525
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


David Nelson Photograph wrote:
I would recommend Lightroom 4 and as an adon OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 7.  But, if you're really going to be a serious photography, PS6 is a necessity (along with Lightroom 4). Photography is not an inexpensive hobby or business to enter.

I would disagree.   Elements 11 is a good retouching software for only $70. cdn.

Just my thoughts ~ MR

Jan 31 13 09:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chuckarelei
Posts: 9,314
Seattle, Washington, US


David Nelson Photograph wrote:
I would recommend Lightroom 4 and as an adon OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 7.  But, if you're really going to be a serious photography, PS6 is a necessity (along with Lightroom 4).  Photography is not an inexpensive hobby or business to enter.

Lightroom is not an image retouching program.

Also, you don't have to have CS6 to be a serious photographer (I suppose that's what you mean? I remember PS8 was in the CS1 package). Everything I have done so far was by CS3 and earlier.

Jan 31 13 09:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Joann Empson
Posts: 430
Walnut Creek, California, US


Aww, won't someone mention it for me?
Feb 01 13 12:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


Feb 01 13 05:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
pellepiano
Posts: 2,268
Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden


David Nelson Photograph wrote:
S6 is a necessity (along with Lightroom 4).

No, the Lightroom 4 engine is the same as in ACR in CS6.

Feb 01 13 05:49 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Kevin_Connery
Posts: 3,305
Fullerton, California, US


FSly wrote:
I was wonder is there any retouching software that anyone can recommend thats a suitable alternative to photoshop?

Suitable at what level?

If you're not going to be doing this extensively, there are many good alternatives. Photoshop Elements (under $100), GIMP (free), Pixelmator (under $40, MacOS only), Krita (free, linux-only, many distros), PaintShopPro (Windows only), Painter (better than PS in my opinion for image creation, but weaker for retouching), PhotoLine (supports CMYK and LAB--very rare),

For lighter use, there are even online/browser based tools, from Phoenix/Aviary (also Android and iOS) to Picasa, Pixlr to Photoshop.com. (Hmm. A lot of 'P' tools...)

None have all of Photoshop's capabilities, but most will do a good job of many subsets; it depends on what you want/need.

Feb 01 13 08:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


I'm no retouch guru like some of you. Never have been, never will be. I like Paint Shop Pro, only because I've been using it forever (because PS cost a small fortune back then) and see no reason to re-learn the same things in PS, like flipping from Word to Wordperfect or Open Office. It's powerful enough for what I do.
Feb 01 13 03:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,116
Tampa, Florida, US


Joann Empson wrote:
Aww, won't someone mention it for me?

Ok, Ok Joann...

OP, you might want to give GIMP a go. smile There, how was that?

Feb 01 13 03:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Angelfactory
Posts: 1,559
Foley, Minnesota, US


Being on a tight budget I used Corel for years then switched to Elements last year. Still does way more then I am capable of but was easy enough to figure out basics quickly without being overwhelmed.
Feb 01 13 04:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FSly
Posts: 25
Orange, New Jersey, US


Kevin_Connery wrote:

Suitable at what level?

If you're not going to be doing this extensively, there are many good alternatives. Photoshop Elements (under $100), GIMP (free), Pixelmator (under $40, MacOS only), Krita (free, linux-only, many distros), PaintShopPro (Windows only), Painter (better than PS in my opinion for image creation, but weaker for retouching), PhotoLine (supports CMYK and LAB--very rare),

For lighter use, there are even online/browser based tools, from Phoenix/Aviary (also Android and iOS) to Picasa, Pixlr to Photoshop.com. (Hmm. A lot of 'P' tools...)


I'm looking to do retouching of skin. Evening skin tones, blemishes, bags under the eyes, wrinkles, etc...
None have all of Photoshop's capabilities, but most will do a good job of many subsets; it depends on what you want/need.

Feb 01 13 06:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Connery
Posts: 16,722
El Segundo, California, US


FSly wrote:
I'm looking to do retouching of skin. Evening skin tones, blemishes, bags under the eyes, wrinkles, etc...

I believe every package I mentioned can do that. Most do a fair amount more, but you're not obligated to use those parts. smile

A note of caution, however: be sure whatever you pick lets you manage color profiles in some way, even if only supporting one or two. Otherwise, you don't know how the colors are going to translate on standardized displays, or when sending out to print. I know most of the ones listed do, but I don't know all of them well enough to say they all do.

Feb 01 13 06:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Joann Empson
Posts: 430
Walnut Creek, California, US


Michael Pandolfo wrote:
OP, you might want to give GIMP a go. smile There, how was that?
Kevin_Connery wrote:
… there are many good alternatives. … GIMP (free), … Krita (free, [GNU/Linux]-only, many distros)

♡♡♡ I love you, guys!  ♡♡♡

Feb 02 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers