login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Pocket wizard dupes Search   Reply
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


Has anyone has any experience with these transceivers triggers? Ishoot Pt-04d $69.99 for the pair on ebay. I thought these look like they could be a good alternative  for someone on a budget. I just ordered some to try out  and I will post my personal opinion when they arrive and after I have tried them out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100m-iShoot-PT- … 4402129%26

Video review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNBqmIlZPA


http://i.ebayimg.com/t/100m-PT-04-LCD-3in1-Speedlight-Studio-Radio-Flash-Trigger-Camera-Remote-Control-/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/$T2eC16NHJF8E9nnC6H3YBQSD8ROkCQ~~60_3.JPG
Feb 03 13 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,489
Santa Ana, California, US


Not familiar with these, but having the hot-shoe attachment on the left is kind of nice. I have a wireless cable release that fits in the hotshoe, but because my PW is sitting there, I can't use the cable release in the studio.
Feb 03 13 04:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hero Foto
Posts: 878
Phoenix, Arizona, US


look interesting ... any specs?
Feb 03 13 04:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


Hero Foto wrote:
look interesting ... any specs?

added the link with the specs

Feb 03 13 04:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hero Foto
Posts: 878
Phoenix, Arizona, US


A-M-P wrote:

added the link with the specs

thanks

Feb 03 13 04:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,673
Los Angeles, California, US


I saw a Transmitter and receiver pair but the seller didn't seem to selling the receivers separately. I use sometimes four lights so the cheap brand I use has both receiver and transmitter settings.
Feb 03 13 04:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HOT Photography LA
Posts: 25
Los Angeles, California, US


LA StarShooter wrote:
I saw a Transmitter and receiver pair but the seller didn't seem to selling the receivers separately. I use sometimes four lights so the cheap brand I use has both receiver and transmitter settings.

Feb 03 13 04:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


LA StarShooter wrote:
I saw a Transmitter and receiver pair but the seller didn't seem to selling the receivers separately. I use sometimes four lights so the cheap brand I use has both receiver and transmitter settings.

These are transceivers they work as both  receiver and transmitter. Well I haven't used them yet but according to the specs.

Feb 03 13 04:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
HOT Photography LA
Posts: 25
Los Angeles, California, US


HOT Photography LA wrote:

Ooops. Sorry about that. I just bought a pair of PocketWizard Plus III. Both are T/R and they're not cheap. But you usually get what you pay for. They operate perfectly for me with a hot shoe on a Nikon.

Feb 03 13 04:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


HOT Photography LA wrote:
Ooops. Sorry about that. I just bought a pair of PocketWizard Plus III. Both are T/R and they're not cheap. But you usually get what you pay for. They operate perfectly for me with a hot shoe on a Nikon.

I'm pretty sure everyone in the photographic world is well aware that pocket wizards are not cheap and that they operate to standards. But  I was wondering for those  working on a budget or just doing this as a hobby if these might be a good alternative.

Feb 03 13 04:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JandRStudios
Posts: 512
Houston, Texas, US


thanks for posting, these look very promising. might just get a pair, even though i have wizards, these will be good for some sb800's
Feb 03 13 04:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Michael Walker
Posts: 11,939
Costa Mesa, California, US


A-M-P wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the photographic world is well aware that pocket wizards are not cheap and that they operate to standards. But  I was wondering for those  working on a budget or just doing this as a hobby if these might be a good alternative.

So did you buy a pair already? I'd be interested in info on how well they work and how well built they are.

Feb 03 13 04:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,478
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


LA StarShooter wrote:
I saw a Transmitter and receiver pair but the seller didn't seem to selling the receivers separately. I use sometimes four lights so the cheap brand I use has both receiver and transmitter settings.

you cant slave the other three lights off the one with the receiver?

Feb 03 13 04:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


R Michael Walker wrote:
So did you buy a pair already? I'd be interested in info on how well they work and how well built they are.

I just came upon these today tried to find anything online with little luck only found 1 review so I order a pair  since the specs look promising but they will arrive in like 2 weeks so I will try them out and give my opinion once I receive them. I think these are pretty new or have been a secret lol

Feb 03 13 05:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,673
Los Angeles, California, US


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
you cant slave the other three lights off the one with the receiver?

I edited my reply since the op said they had both options. I may be interested in them if they perform really well outdoors. My cactus triggers are just okay.

Feb 03 13 05:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Michael Walker
Posts: 11,939
Costa Mesa, California, US


I just use simple fleaby triggers fro my studio strobes so I can afford to have all 4 lights equipped with one. Seems when the others are on slave some light fails to trigger. Especially when using soft boxes and beauty dishes. This one seems interesting since it also does speed lights. I have the cowboy rigs for that but they are not very reliable in my experience so I no longer even take them out with me. I'd like something that would support Nikon's FP mode but those are even more $$.
Feb 03 13 05:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Brooklyn Bridge Images
Posts: 8,770
Brooklyn, New York, US


Dont see the logic in risking cheap chinese fleabay crap when you could get proven Cyber Sync for the same $$$
Feb 03 13 07:09 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 5,830
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


For something that doesn't support TTL (per the specs) what's the benefit over YongNuo's RF603 or other transcievers at half the price?
Feb 03 13 07:19 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 5,830
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Dont see the logic in risking cheap chinese fleabay crap when you could get proven Cyber Sync for the same $$$

$70 for a pair is half the price of CS - and just because it's chinese doesn't mean it's crap. My RF603s have gone through tens of thousands of fires without ANY problem... just sayin.

Feb 03 13 07:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Dont see the logic in risking cheap chinese fleabay crap when you could get proven Cyber Sync for the same $$$

70/2 is $35 so not the same price but half  the price of Cybersync I also have Cybersync's

Feb 03 13 07:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hero Foto
Posts: 878
Phoenix, Arizona, US


-JAY- wrote:
For something that doesn't support TTL (per the specs) what's the benefit over YongNuo's RF603 or other transcievers at half the price?

luv my 603's for studio heads and speedlights ... wondering if the DISTANCE they will trigger is the benefit ... besides a pretty display I only working distance and signal strength to be the 2 pluses

Feb 03 13 07:48 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
-JAY-
Posts: 5,830
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Hero Foto wrote:

luv my 603's for studio heads and speedlights ... wondering if the DISTANCE they will trigger is the benefit ... besides a pretty display I only working distance and signal strength to be the 2 pluses

The OP transcievers state 100 meters.

Did a test with my 603s outside:

http://jayleavitt.com/links/rf603distancetest.gif

Feb 03 13 07:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hero Foto
Posts: 878
Phoenix, Arizona, US


-JAY- wrote:

The OP transcievers state 100 meters.

Did a test with my 603s outside:

http://jayleavitt.com/links/rf603distancetest.gif

you ARE the F$#%in' man JAY ...

Feb 03 13 07:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,478
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


last time I tried to do a 100m test, I got onto my neighbors land.  Now I can trigger his dog barking anytime with 100% reliability. those 60x are solid
Feb 03 13 08:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
eos3_300
Posts: 1,450
Brooklyn, New York, US


A-M-P wrote:

70/2 is $35 so not the same price but half  the price of Cybersync I also have Cybersync's

Missed they were priced per pair
I hope they work for you
Faulty triggers can be a huge PIA

Feb 03 13 08:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
IMG - Inner Images
Posts: 80
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary


If you want reliable product try YongNuo YN-622 transceivers (YN-622C for Canon and YN-622N for Nikon)!

I have 6 unit for Canon (5D3 and 580EX II flashes) and they are working flawlessly.

There's a topic about them:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/sho … 0&page=123
Feb 04 13 03:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ultimate dream
Posts: 843
London, England, United Kingdom


-JAY- wrote:

The OP transcievers state 100 meters.

Did a test with my 603s outside:

http://jayleavitt.com/links/rf603distancetest.gif

Now thats what you call a proper test. Good one dude smile

Feb 04 13 05:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


Well I found a video review on them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNBqmIlZPA
Feb 04 13 06:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AVD AlphaDuctions
Posts: 10,478
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada


A-M-P wrote:
Well I found a video review on them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KNBqmIlZPA

they are compatible with YongNuos?  insane!

Feb 04 13 06:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,332
Orlando, Florida, US


AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

they are compatible with YongNuos?  insane!

Yes

Feb 04 13 08:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 339
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


I use the cybersyncs in studio and have never had an issue.  On location, where access is easy I bring my alienbees and cybersyncs along, and if the location is a more difficult access I use an 580 EX II and a 430exII and control them through the camera.  Use an OFC cord to keep the 580 off the camera
Feb 04 13 08:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JC Strick
Posts: 502
Ringgold, Georgia, US


A-M-P wrote:

I just came upon these today tried to find anything online with little luck only found 1 review so I order a pair  since the specs look promising but they will arrive in like 2 weeks so I will try them out and give my opinion once I receive them. I think these are pretty new or have been a secret lol

Please report back!

The features and "unboxing" video posted above looks promising. Very interested to see if they actually work.

smile

Feb 05 13 09:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JC Strick
Posts: 502
Ringgold, Georgia, US


Do we have a review yet? smile
Mar 08 13 12:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JM Fotography
Posts: 61
Laurinburg, North Carolina, US


Knock off quality is getting so good, it's hard to justify name brand on some items these days.

I'm interested in how these work!
Mar 10 13 09:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GCobb Photography
Posts: 15,870
Southaven, Mississippi, US


I didn't knock on wood hard enough.  The 602 transmitters I had..both went tits up within 2 weeks of one another.  One was about a year old, the other closer to 3.  I guess I'm in the market for something else.
Mar 10 13 09:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
FKW Studio
Posts: 106
Crofton, Maryland, US


These look good- if the range is close to matching Pocket wizards then I'll be hard pressed not to get these for the money.

I'm currently using cyber sync +s and a cyber commander- they work great in studio, but I have found them to be not as reliable on location- and they seem to really need good line of site for reliable triggering.

I was shooting a yacht and needed to take many exposures lighting different areas of the boat- when I got to the areas furthest away from me (maybe 100ft) I started having misfires... so yeah. Looking to get some triggers specifically for shooting location and this might be the ticket!

Just hope they work ok with my sony A99. .
Mar 10 13 10:23 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers