login info join!
Forums > General Industry > NY Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall 2013 Collection Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Well... is anybody here who is shooting it and nobody knows?

I am hesitant on posting... because, although we did it for many years before... some of the newer members think that I am full of myself, because I used to make posts about Fashion Week... and they felt I tried to be superior or something... facepalm .

I've been connecting with quite a few MM members back on the risers... but don't see posts on MM.

So... if you are there... maybe you can share your experience and impressions... and a selection of photos of shows you have done.

But, not like last season... don't post hundreds of photos about outside shots... only the best ones.

Because of limitations, I could only shoot since Saturday and my editors (one of them is a former MM mod) is taking it easy on me... LOL

But I shoot for others as well.

What I shot sofar is:

Diane von Furstenberg
Herve Leger by BCBG Max Azria
Lacoste
Mara Hoffman
Monique Lhuillier
Ralph Rucci
Venexiana
Vivienne Tam

Lacoste:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/561759_10151259953060458_449193094_n.jpg

Although the week is not over... Marc Jacobs just got rescheduled... and I got the message a few minutes ago that I am cleared to shoot Marc Jacobs on Thursday evening...

What about you guys?
Feb 10 13 08:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KurtVdV
Posts: 54
Leuven, Flemish Brabant, Belgium


Great post!
I followed your previous posts about the fashion weeks and I love it.
In my opinion you're not trying to be superior, but you live the life many of us are dreaming of :-)

In the near future I hope to be on one of the fashion weeks in Paris or London, I'm working on it!
Feb 11 13 06:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dan K Photography
Posts: 5,455
STATEN ISLAND, New York, US


Don't worry about the idiots they will always find a reason to gripe. I personally like to hear what people are doing during fashion week even if I don't get to participate.
Feb 11 13 07:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


KurtVdV wrote:
Great post!
I followed your previous posts about the fashion weeks and I love it.
In my opinion you're not trying to be superior, but you live the life many of us are dreaming of :-)

Dan K Photography wrote:
Don't worry about the idiots they will always find a reason to gripe. I personally like to hear what people are doing during fashion week even if I don't get to participate.

Thanks guys for the encouragement!

Here is a photo of Ralph Rucci's Fall 2013 Collection:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531839_10151262832890458_343656792_n.jpg

Feb 11 13 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 2,205
Naperville, Illinois, US


I am always excited to see any of your posts Udor! You are an inspiration! I love how your mind thinks. Your talents do not go without notice!
smile
Feb 11 13 09:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


This is RESPECT!!!

VENEXIANA's Kati Stern, after the finale, walks down the runway and thanks the photographers of the international press corps for our work!

Thank YOU Kati, very much appreciated!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526820_10151263134535458_1571725276_n.jpg
Feb 11 13 09:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Caitin   wrote:
I am always excited to see any of your posts Udor! You are an inspiration! I love how your mind thinks. Your talents do not go without notice!
smile

Thank you Caitin! smile

Feb 11 13 09:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David M Russell
Posts: 1,125
New York, New York, US


Most of my work is for television, so naturally I shot the Project Runway show. Which is really two shows. Which is really like three shows. Or maybe four...? No, three. Or three and a half.
Feb 11 13 11:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 27,054
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Personally I have always enjoyed your threads about NYFW
Feb 11 13 11:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


David M Russell wrote:
Most of my work is for television, so naturally I shot the Project Runway show. Which is really two shows. Which is really like three shows. Or maybe four...? No, three. Or three and a half.

LOL... yeah... I used to shoot PR many years ago, regularily...

Haven't had the chance, because of different show assignments.

Feb 11 13 04:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


A special treat was given to me by meeting the famous NYT fashion photographer Bill Cunningham while shooting the Yeohlee Fashion Show...

I had a few brief words with him... because my landlord is an old friend from the studio 54 times... and I flash of light came into his eyes when I mentioned the name...

Anyway... very sweet gentleman!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/3518_10151263949960458_1471801992_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/308040_10151263949980458_689378482_n.jpg
Feb 11 13 07:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 2,205
Naperville, Illinois, US


udor wrote:
A special treat was given to me by meeting the famous NYT fashion photographer Bill Cunningham while shooting the Yeohlee Fashion Show...

I had a few brief words with him... because my landlord is an old friend from the studio 54 times... and I flash of light came into his eyes when I mentioned the name...

Anyway... very sweet gentleman!

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/3518_10151263949960458_1471801992_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/308040_10151263949980458_689378482_n.jpg

Udor this is amazing! The way you capture people in the image of who they are! I really hope that people will read your link about who Bill Cunningham is and com back and view your capture. It is perfect.

Just a quote from your link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cunni … tographer)
Designer Oscar de la Renta has said, "More than anyone else in the city, he has the whole visual history of the last 40 or 50 years of New York. It's the total scope of fashion in the life of New York".

Very awesome Udor!

Feb 12 13 12:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Caitin   wrote:
Udor this is amazing! The way you capture people in the image of who they are! I really hope that people will read your link about who Bill Cunningham is and com back and view your capture. It is perfect.

Just a quote from your link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cunni … tographer)
Designer Oscar de la Renta has said, "More than anyone else in the city, he has the whole visual history of the last 40 or 50 years of New York. It's the total scope of fashion in the life of New York".

Very awesome Udor!

Thank you very much Caitin... I was really lucky to get those shots and capture Mr. Cunningham's essence... when I reviewed the photos... I was really... REALLY excited about those shots...

He is a humble... busy... and great man with a vision who doesn't care much about anything about taking pictures of subjects that interest him... very simple... very simple life... greatness!

Feb 12 13 07:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, NYC Fall 2013 Collection: Badgley Mischka.

This is the last shot of the last look (dress of the collection), combined with the "fog" background during the show... please note the lone spectator... who was just one of hundreds of guests, clouded in darkness... I love this picture... but won't show the collection until ModaCYCLE.com publishes the review.

I just love the setup and I am fortunate to get that shot this way!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308015_10151265621755458_1001873231_n.jpg
Feb 12 13 07:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I like NYFW posts.
Feb 12 13 07:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kozmina
Posts: 6,533
Colorado Springs, Colorado, US


Wow.

Just wow.

No,really....WOW! Awesome freaking thread Udor!

Totally agree with Caitin bout your Cunnigham shot!

Can I be your assistant next fall?? Pwetty pwease. big_smile
Feb 12 13 07:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPierce Photography
Posts: 19,713
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


udor wrote:
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, NYC Fall 2013 Collection: Badgley Mischka.

This is the last shot of the last look (dress of the collection), combined with the "fog" background during the show... please not the lone spectator... who was just one of hundreds of guests, clouded in darkness... I love this picture... but won't show the collection until ModaCYCLE.com publishes the review.

I just love the setup and I am fortunate to get that shot this way!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308015_10151265621755458_1001873231_n.jpg

Beautiful shot!

Feb 12 13 07:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BlueMoonPics
Posts: 4,335
New York, New York, US


Thanks Udor for these shots.  I'd love to see at least a part of fashion week some day.
I'd love to be there to get a glimpse of the excitement.
Feb 12 13 08:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 2,205
Naperville, Illinois, US


udor wrote:
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week, NYC Fall 2013 Collection: Badgley Mischka.

This is the last shot of the last look (dress of the collection), combined with the "fog" background during the show... please note the lone spectator... who was just one of hundreds of guests, clouded in darkness... I love this picture... but won't show the collection until ModaCYCLE.com publishes the review.

I just love the setup and I am fortunate to get that shot this way!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/308015_10151265621755458_1001873231_n.jpg

Very very awesome shot Udor!

Feb 13 13 06:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 2,205
Naperville, Illinois, US


Kozmina wrote:
Wow.

Just wow.

No,really....WOW! Awesome freaking thread Udor!

Totally agree with Caitin bout your Cunnigham shot!

Can I be your assistant next fall?? Pwetty pwease. big_smile

Wow I would love to follow Udor around for a week! Be his shadow! I could learn more and gain more inspiration in that week than in years of study!

Feb 13 13 06:08 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,102
New York, New York, US


Dan K Photography wrote:
Don't worry about the idiots they will always find a reason to gripe. I personally like to hear what people are doing during fashion week even if I don't get to participate.

This.
Udor, you Rock!

Feb 13 13 06:27 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 16,102
New York, New York, US


udor wrote:

KurtVdV wrote:
Great post!
I followed your previous posts about the fashion weeks and I love it.
In my opinion you're not trying to be superior, but you live the life many of us are dreaming of :-)

Thanks guys for the encouragement!

Here is a photo of Ralph Rucci's Fall 2013 Collection:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531839_10151262832890458_343656792_n.jpg

Class.

Feb 13 13 06:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Sabine  wrote:
I like NYFW posts.

Great!

Thanks Sabine! smile

Feb 13 13 07:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Kozmina wrote:
Wow.

Just wow.

No,really....WOW! Awesome freaking thread Udor!

Totally agree with Caitin bout your Cunnigham shot!

Can I be your assistant next fall?? Pwetty pwease. big_smile

Thank you so much Kozmina! smile

Feb 13 13 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


BlueMoonPics wrote:
Thanks Udor for these shots.  I'd love to see at least a part of fashion week some day.
I'd love to be there to get a glimpse of the excitement.

Yeah... it's something special... I must say... that if I am looking back... I started shooting NY FW 16 seasons ago... there is something special about the September (Spring/Summer - the following year collection) and the circus around it...

It's warm... and people are dressing up even more... and more outrageous costumes and just packed... lots of fun...

Feb 13 13 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Caitin   wrote:

Wow I would love to follow Udor around for a week! Be his shadow! I could learn more and gain more inspiration in that week than in years of study!

Aww... you are flattering me... but don't take it back please... it feels good! wink

Feb 13 13 07:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KurtVdV
Posts: 54
Leuven, Flemish Brabant, Belgium


Udor,

I don't know if you answered this before but:

How did you start attending the fashion weeks?
I attend and shoot a lot of fashionshows for local boutiques and designers, but how do you get in those fashion weeks? Do you need a press card or... ?

Paris is not far for me so... smile
I know that -during such an event- a lot of photographers/bloggers/fashion minded people are taking pictures in the public places of the models that are passing by. But on the show itself it's where the magic happens smile
Feb 14 13 05:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Supermodel Photographer
Posts: 3,309
Oyster Bay, New York, US


udor wrote:
some of the newer members think that I am full of myself...

... maybe you can share your experience and impressions... and a selection of photos of shows you have done.

FROM SPRING 2011 (See Captions Under Photos):

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100915/19/4c917d714abfa.jpg
MODEL ON LEFT:  "Why do we have to settle for being photographed by this guy?"
MODEL ON RIGHT:  "Yeah; where's udor?"


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100913/17/4c8ebd13be298_m.jpg
    "MAKE IT WORK"

Feb 14 13 06:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J M
Posts: 372
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


This thread excites me! Your great inspiration udor! I love that shot of bill Cunningham hes an amazing man. I get to shoot Sydney fashion week this year!! big_smile it may not be on the level of NY fashion week but im still super excited. I'll be following this thread
Feb 14 13 06:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Syosset Studio
Posts: 296
Syosset, New York, US


udor wrote:
Here is a photo of Ralph Rucci's Fall 2013 Collection:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/531839_10151262832890458_343656792_n.jpg

That looks like an assortment of eye candy.

Feb 14 13 08:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Syosset Studio
Posts: 296
Syosset, New York, US


[INADVERTENT DOUBLE-POST]
Feb 14 13 08:17 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Caitin Bre
Posts: 2,205
Naperville, Illinois, US


Supermodel Photographer wrote:
FROM SPRING 2011 (See Captions Under Photos):

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100915/19/4c917d714abfa.jpg
MODEL ON LEFT:  "Why do we have to settle for being photographed by this guy?"
MODEL ON RIGHT:  "Yeah; where's udor?"



http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100913/17/4c8ebd13be298_m.jpg
    "MAKE IT WORK"

+over and over again!
Amen!

Feb 14 13 11:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


KurtVdV wrote:
Udor,

I don't know if you answered this before but:

How did you start attending the fashion weeks?
I attend and shoot a lot of fashionshows for local boutiques and designers, but how do you get in those fashion weeks? Do you need a press card or... ?

Paris is not far for me so... smile
I know that -during such an event- a lot of photographers/bloggers/fashion minded people are taking pictures in the public places of the llamas that are passing by. But on the show itself it's where the magic happens smile

Hi Kurt!

Well... I did the local small shows... and got introduced to Andres Aquino, who was the producer of small fashion show events and a few bigger ones... I started to work with him on show productions and shooting for him,  he is now the producer of www.couturefashionweek.com and a long time friend.

During one of his events, I've met the producer of BTE TV (now also publisher of Fashion Avenue News Mag, a print publication) and she hired me to shoot NY Fashion Week for... that was 16 seasons ago...

And I started to shoot it regularly, freelancing, under different companies and under my own name, having had a few assistants to shoot different shows.

I don't know what the registration requirements are in Europe, so I can only talk for the NYC shows...

Years ago... IMG (the producer) accepted just anybody who paid the registration fees... the result were a lot of hobbyists (in terms of runway), who were shooting for fun, had no professional courtesy, no respect and often causing trouble... AND... were taking the spots of the media people.

Then, IMG cut down... and decided only to accept people who are being sent by bigger publications etc., lots of people are being declined.

If you were a freelancer, you had to show that you were recently published in magazines with real tear sheets... of runway shows... not regular fashion photos...

I have a few friends who were seriously published in big magazines... but editorial spreads, and they didn't get credentialed... has to be runway.

Of course... there are always some people who, somehow, are able to slip in... people who often really don't belong there (yet)... but... well...

http://mbfashionweek.com/press/fall_201 … s_now_open

Here is an article I wrote about this subject a few years back:

That's my facebook version, which I updated a little bit:
ADVENTURE: NY Fashion Week

Feb 14 13 12:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Supermodel Photographer wrote:
FROM SPRING 2011 (See Captions Under Photos):

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100915/19/4c917d714abfa.jpg
MODEL ON LEFT:  "Why do we have to settle for being photographed by this guy?"
MODEL ON RIGHT:  "Yeah; where's udor?"


http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100913/17/4c8ebd13be298_m.jpg
    "MAKE IT WORK"

Hehehee... cute!

Thanks! smile

Feb 14 13 12:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Steve Young Photos
Posts: 537
Belleview, Florida, US


udor wrote:

Hi Kurt!

Well... I did the local small shows... and got introduced to Andres Aquino, who was the producer of small fashion show events and a few bigger ones... I started to work with him on show productions and shooting for him,  he is now the producer of www.couturefashionweek.com and a long time friend.

During one of his events, I've met the producer of BTE TV (now also publisher of Fashion Avenue News Mag, a print publication) and she hired me to shoot NY Fashion Week for... that was 16 seasons ago...

And I started to shoot it regularly, freelancing, under different companies and under my own name, having had a few assistants to shoot different shows.

I don't know what the registration requirements are in Europe, so I can only talk for the NYC shows...

Years ago... IMG (the producer) accepted just anybody who paid the registration fees... the result were a lot of hobbyists (in terms of runway), who were shooting for fun, had no professional courtesy, no respect and often causing trouble... AND... were taking the spots of the media people.

Then, IMG cut down... and decided only to accept people who are being sent by bigger publications etc., lots of people are being declined.

If you were a freelancer, you had to show that you were recently published in magazines with real tear sheets... of runway shows... not regular fashion photos...

I have a few friends who were seriously published in big magazines... but editorial spreads, and they didn't get credentialed... has to be runway.

Of course... there are always some people who, somehow, are able to slip in... people who often really don't belong there (yet)... but... well...

Here is an article I wrote about this subject a few years back:

That's my facebook version, which I updated a little bit:
ADVENTURE: NY Fashion Week

Ah someday I hope to be there. I have a lot to learning and work to do first. Thanks for the great posts and pics.

Feb 14 13 12:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Those are the shows I covered this season:

Anna Sui
Badgley Mischka
Carolina Herrera
Diane von Furstenberg
Herve Leger
J Mendel
Jenny Packham
Lacoste
Mara Hoffman
Marc Jacobs (tonight at 8pm)
Milly by Michelle Smith
Monique Lhuillier
Naeem Khan
Ralph Rucci
Reem Acra
Vantan Tokyo
Venexiana
Vivian Tam
Yeohlee
Zang Toi
Feb 14 13 12:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Perspective!

This is a preview of the Marc Jacobs show, shot Thursday night... last day of Mercedes Benz Fashion Week's Fall 2013 Collection.

Traditionally, Marc Jacobs shows at the Armory at 68 Lexington Avenue, and this year was not a break from tradition. He does have a flair for theatrical presentation and that location is just perfect. This season, he chose a monochrome yellow display for the models first walk in a round arena setting... at the second showing... normal lighting was used.

The auditorium was, as expected PACKED... this photo shows the scale of the model and the people in the audience... and there were a lot of people... More to come, especially after my editor published the official versions of the photos.

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/857936_10151269137685458_1810526216_o.jpg
Feb 14 13 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gerry OHalloran Photo
Posts: 554
Wayne, Pennsylvania, US


I managed to shoot one collection at Bryant Park several years ago and it was quite exciting.  Some in the audience were as interesting as the models.  Other bold names in the lobby (if that is what it was called) provided cameo shots.  An experience of the lifetime that will probably not be repeated.
Feb 14 13 10:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Gerry OHalloran Photo wrote:
I managed to shoot one collection at Bryant Park several years ago and it was quite exciting.  Some in the audience were as interesting as the models.  Other bold names in the lobby (if that is what it was called) provided cameo shots.  An experience of the lifetime that will probably not be repeated.

Some experiences are once in a lifetime, if those are not part of your regular life...

So, having had to experience NY Fashion Week... at the main event... with all the glitter and glamour... is truly an exceptional event.

After 16 seasons now... I am still loving it... despite the lack of sleep, editing late, deadlines, etc.... but there is everything else... camaraderie, being part of a great team of international photographers... just... everything... it's great!

I am very fortunate!

Feb 15 13 05:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,170
New York, New York, US


Jesse Mullins wrote:
This thread excites me! Your great inspiration udor! I love that shot of bill Cunningham hes an amazing man. I get to shoot Sydney fashion week this year!! big_smile it may not be on the level of NY fashion week but im still super excited. I'll be following this thread

Thank you Jesse!

True... Sydney is maybe not NYC, Milan or Paris... but... it's probably the biggest event of that sort on your continent, so I am sure you will have great fun doing it! smile

Feb 15 13 05:05 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply