login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Need a Google search fix. Search   Reply
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,595
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


So just for laughs I did a search of myself.
Turned out to not be funny when I saw how much information came up.

But this is the puzzler.
Under 'Images for Herman Surkis', most of the images in my flickr account came up.

However twice as many, that are not mine also came up. Now don't get me wrong, I do not mind people thinking I have had Vogue covers, and that I shoot like Karsh (it was Karsh, and I am old enough to have shot Castro), but I think Neil might get a little pissed that some of his images come up seeming as mine.

All the NOT mine seem to link back to MM, but they are not necessarily images I commented on, at least that would make sense, as many I do not remember ever seeing. I can only guess that it is showing an image (selected at random) from every thread I have been on. And that is just my guess.

Any ideas what is happening?
Any ideas how to fix it??
Feb 11 13 03:23 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,098
New York, New York, US


If your name comes up anywhere in the document being searched then the document and all the pictures in it will become associated with your name.  So if someone writes in a blog that "Joe Jones is a pedophile who took these twenty pictures.  He used to live on the block where Herman Surkis was born", and someone searches for "pedophile pictures", not only will Joe Jones and his pictures come up but so will Herman Surkis and any pictures associated with your name.  Maybe not right away, but somewhere in the pile.  Pictures that are not associated with your name, such as advertisements using one of your pictures would not come up because your name would not be associated.

At least that's how it was explained to me,  although I understand that Google can now associate a face with a person, even though that person's name is not directly associated with the picture.

My guess is that it can't be fixed, at least not by anyone other than Google, but it might be worth bringing the question up in the Site Related Forum.  Maybe some of the more internet-savvy will have an idea.
Feb 11 13 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,595
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Rays Fine Art wrote:
If your name comes up anywhere in the document being searched then the document and all the pictures in it will become associated with your name.  So if someone writes in a blog that "Joe Jones is a pedophile who took these twenty pictures.  He used to live on the block where Herman Surkis was born", and someone searches for "pedophile pictures", not only will Joe Jones and his pictures come up but so will Herman Surkis and any pictures associated with your name.  Maybe not right away, but somewhere in the pile.  Pictures that are not associated with your name, such as advertisements using one of your pictures would not come up because your name would not be associated.

At least that's how it was explained to me,  although I understand that Google can now associate a face with a person, even though that person's name is not directly associated with the picture.

My guess is that it can't be fixed, at least not by anyone other than Google, but it might be worth bringing the question up in the Site Related Forum.  Maybe some of the more internet-savvy will have an idea.

I was afraid it was something like that. It will be fixed when Google gets sued for millions, because their search engine ruined someones reputation. It could be a masterful tool for Republicans or anyone else to use in a smear campaign, especially in the example you give. By stating a half truth, they could destroy someone. You know damn well, that the general public will not look deeper then first impressions.

Feb 11 13 08:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-Ira
Posts: 2,184
New York, New York, US


Are you familiar with spreading Santorum?
Feb 12 13 11:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ForeverFotos
Posts: 6,621
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


Herman Surkis wrote:
I was afraid it was something like that. It will be fixed when Google gets sued for millions, because their search engine ruined someones reputation. It could be a masterful tool for Republicans or anyone else to use in a smear campaign, especially in the example you give. By stating a half truth, they could destroy someone. You know damn well, that the general public will not look deeper then first impressions.

You may be surprised to learn that most of the smear campaigning in this country DOES NOT come from the Republican party. Stop spreading obama's democrat/socialist propaganda, ok?

Feb 12 13 11:25 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotticelli
Posts: 12,111
Lorton, Virginia, US


Herman Surkis wrote:
Any ideas what is happening?
Any ideas how to fix it??

There are ways to change how Google reports your presence on the Internet but there is no way to email Google to say that a specific picture was incorrectly credited to you.

Goggle search results are created by complicated software algorithms that are more secret than KFC's eleven herbs and spices. There is a multi-million dollar market out there for "Internet presence management" and even for those companies' success rate in influencing google search results is modest. The only thing you can do yourself is disappear and hope that Google will forget you in a couple of years.

Feb 12 13 11:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,595
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Fotticelli wrote:

There are ways to change how Google reports your presence on the Internet but there is no way to email Google to say that a specific picture was incorrectly credited to you.

Goggle search results are created by complicated software algorithms that are more secret than KFC's eleven herbs and spices. There is a multi-million dollar market out there for "Internet presence management" and even for those companies' success rate in influencing google search results is modest. The only thing you can do yourself is disappear and hope that Google will forget you in a couple of years.

Seems a little drastic.
Would just like google search to come up with stuff that really pertains to me.
Having google give the appearance that I have had Vogue and SI covers, is not all bad. If questioned I simply tell the truth and blame google. But at that point I have somebodies attention, which may not be all bad.

Feb 12 13 12:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Velvet Paper Photo
Posts: 468
Lexington, Kentucky, US


ForeverFotos wrote:

You may be surprised to learn that most of the smear campaigning in this country DOES NOT come from the Republican party. Stop spreading obama's democrat/socialist propaganda, ok?

Lol Oh the irony.

Feb 12 13 12:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Velvet Paper Photo
Posts: 468
Lexington, Kentucky, US


Rays Fine Art wrote:
If your name comes up anywhere in the document being searched then the document and all the pictures in it will become associated with your name.  So if someone writes in a blog that "Joe Jones is a pedophile who took these twenty pictures.  He used to live on the block where Herman Surkis was born", and someone searches for "pedophile pictures", not only will Joe Jones and his pictures come up but so will Herman Surkis and any pictures associated with your name.  Maybe not right away, but somewhere in the pile.  Pictures that are not associated with your name, such as advertisements using one of your pictures would not come up because your name would not be associated.

At least that's how it was explained to me,  although I understand that Google can now associate a face with a person, even though that person's name is not directly associated with the picture.

My guess is that it can't be fixed, at least not by anyone other than Google, but it might be worth bringing the question up in the Site Related Forum.  Maybe some of the more internet-savvy will have an idea.

I've noticed this too when I searched for my photography name a while back. It sucks. I was showing a coworker my photos & some nudes came up... Lol I don't shoot nudes.

Feb 12 13 12:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,595
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


-Ira wrote:
Are you familiar with spreading Santorum?

I was not.
But.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technolog … e_job.html

Feb 12 13 12:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,926
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


Moderator Note!
Please leave the political debate out of this thread.
Feb 12 13 12:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,595
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Velvet Paper Photo wrote:
I've noticed this too when I searched for my photography name a while back. It sucks. I was showing a coworker my photos & some nudes came up... Lol I don't shoot nudes.

Same here, although I should say that I very rarely shoot nudes. However the ones that did come up were far better then most I have done.

And a lot that came up is better then what I can do.

However it is disconcerting when 50% or more of what comes up is not yours.

Also means that when you search for another photographer, how can you believe the results, unless you go to their website? Does start to make the searches meaningless.

It is interesting however that most of the errors link back to images on MM.

I'll copy the relevant info to Site Related and see if they know anything.

Feb 12 13 12:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lars R Peterson
Posts: 1,073
Seattle, Washington, US


You cannot do anything to fix the system.

However, you can use certain tactics to use the system to your advantage. Whatever search term you use to find yourself, is that the same search term anyone would use when looking for you? Include this search term (such as your name: "Herman Surkis, Herman, Surkis" each and every time you post something online.

Put it in the "alt" field, put it in the "title" field, put it in the comments, tags, the metadata at the top of the page if the page is yours... anywhere where there is a spot to put info, put info... and make sure the info is more about YOU than the image. This will increase the Google-Bots association with your name to these images.

Next, go to everybody's computer who will allow you, and search for yourself. (searching from your own computer will do little to increase your search term importance) Search every variation of your name you can think of... and spell it wrong a few times. When you do a search that returns a 'correct' result, as in, one of your images... click on it!! Let the search engine know that THIS is the result you wanted.

Every little step you can make to let the robots know which pictures are you, and which terms should also bring your results... and soon you will be higher in the rankings. smile
Feb 12 13 12:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MichaelClements
Posts: 1,739
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


-Ira wrote:
Are you familiar with spreading Santorum?

Is that like healthy butter?

Feb 12 13 01:00 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,098
New York, New York, US


Herman Surkis wrote:
I was afraid it was something like that. It will be fixed when Google gets sued for millions, because their search engine ruined someones reputation. It could be a masterful tool for Republicans or anyone else to use in a smear campaign, especially in the example you give. By stating a half truth, they could destroy someone. You know damn well, that the general public will not look deeper then first impressions.
ForeverFotos wrote:
You may be surprised to learn that most of the smear campaigning in this country DOES NOT come from the Republican party. Stop spreading obama's democrat/socialist propaganda, ok?

Touchy, touchy, touchy!

He didn't say that most came from the Republicans--just one possibility among many.

Feb 12 13 02:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ForeverFotos
Posts: 6,621
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


Herman Surkis wrote:
I was afraid it was something like that. It will be fixed when Google gets sued for millions, because their search engine ruined someones reputation. It could be a masterful tool for Republicans or anyone else to use in a smear campaign, especially in the example you give. By stating a half truth, they could destroy someone. You know damn well, that the general public will not look deeper then first impressions.
ForeverFotos wrote:
You may be surprised to learn that most of the smear campaigning in this country DOES NOT come from the Republican party. Stop spreading obama's democrat/socialist propaganda, ok?
Sita Mae wrote:
Moderator Note 
Please leave the political debate out of this thread.
Rays Fine Art wrote:
Touchy, touchy, touchy!

He didn't say that most came from the Republicans--just one possibility among many.

I kind of believe the moderator note should solve it, don't you?

Feb 12 13 03:05 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,098
New York, New York, US


For a while, a casual observer would have thought that I co-starred in "Peacock" with Susan Sarandon.  I was unaware of it until someone mentioned it.  Actually, I starred in a completely unrelated Indie of the same name that never went anywhere, and the juxtaposion of the citations changed with time so for me it was only 3 1/2 minutes of fame.

Drat!
Feb 12 13 03:07 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,098
New York, New York, US


ForeverFotos wrote:

Herman Surkis wrote:
I was afraid it was something like that. It will be fixed when Google gets sued for millions, because their search engine ruined someones reputation. It could be a masterful tool for Republicans or anyone else to use in a smear campaign, especially in the example you give. By stating a half truth, they could destroy someone. You know damn well, that the general public will not look deeper then first impressions.
ForeverFotos wrote:
You may be surprised to learn that most of the smear campaigning in this country DOES NOT come from the Republican party. Stop spreading obama's democrat/socialist propaganda, ok?

I kind of believe the moderator note should solve it, don't you?

Yeah!  Unfortunately, I didn't see the moderator note until after I made my post.  Now, since you've copied the entire string, What do you say I delete both of mine and you delete yours?  You go first. smile

Feb 12 13 03:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sophistocles
Posts: 21,320
Seattle, Washington, US


Google has nothing to worry about.

All they're saying is that your name was on a page. That's 100% true. Anything more is extrapolation and not actionable, as such, for the most part.

I'd book Google's side on this one.
Feb 12 13 03:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman Surkis
Posts: 8,595
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


Lars R Peterson wrote:
You cannot do anything to fix the system.

However, you can use certain tactics to use the system to your advantage. Whatever search term you use to find yourself, is that the same search term anyone would use when looking for you? Include this search term (such as your name: "Herman Surkis, Herman, Surkis" each and every time you post something online.

Put it in the "alt" field, put it in the "title" field, put it in the comments, tags, the metadata at the top of the page if the page is yours... anywhere where there is a spot to put info, put info... and make sure the info is more about YOU than the image. This will increase the Google-Bots association with your name to these images.

Next, go to everybody's computer who will allow you, and search for yourself. (searching from your own computer will do little to increase your search term importance) Search every variation of your name you can think of... and spell it wrong a few times. When you do a search that returns a 'correct' result, as in, one of your images... click on it!! Let the search engine know that THIS is the result you wanted.

Every little step you can make to let the robots know which pictures are you, and which terms should also bring your results... and soon you will be higher in the rankings. smile

Will have to try.

Not worried about the rankings, just worried that people think that others photography is mine.

Gets better, now it seems I have done a Dior ad.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Herman+S … 80&bih=835

Ok, seeing a pattern here.
It is pulling up Variations on my name, and associating a random image.
It is grabbing a random image from every thread I have been on in MM.
And in flicr river it is associating any contacts images with me.

My stuff is the first third, with the occasional one in the rest. To be honest I wish my portfolio was this good and extensive.

But the potential for people feeling that they have been mislead is incredibly high. If you googled me, say a model, and saw the above link come up, would you really follow the image to the source to see if it was mine. Not likely (actually tracked a couple that were neat to see who did them, and they were mine, I just forgot).

So this said model would see some great images, some celebs, some major covers, and possibly decide, "this is somebody I need to shoot with". Now the conclusion would be accurate, but for the wrong reasons.

Try it for yourself, it maybe interesting.
And this is fairly recent. In the past it was fairly accurate, so I suspect a major change in the algorithm at Google.

Perhaps my fantasy of being a fabulous photographer are really true, but it is only a part of my alter ego.

Also found 2 that are being sold, and could be mine and stolen, but I am not sure I took them, could just be very similar.

Feb 13 13 11:28 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers