login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > FB has reached a new low Search   Reply
12last
Photographer
SPierce Photography
Posts: 19,714
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


Wow! lol Anyone else log into facebook, only to get an error that "your computer is affected with a virus, so you have to download and run this virus scanner before we'll let you back on?" error message?

I'm on a mac (and I don't have a virus) so it let me just fake it, check a box, and go back to an account. However, they're forcing a friend of mine on a PC to download McAfee before they'll let him log back in. He just went into his husbands mac, unlocked his account there (all we have to do is check a box that says I'm virus free) and then was able to log back in later.

Does anyone know if FB got hacked into, and their download link is a virus or something that's infected unsuspecting customers? The Apple download just takes me to the apple.com support page.
Feb 17 13 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dale at Killer Image
Posts: 597
San Diego, California, US


How do you know you don't have a virus?  What is the last update date of your antivirus signature file?
Feb 17 13 03:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
angel emily
Posts: 1,020
Boston, Massachusetts, US


No. sad  But I saw someone else post something similar today...
Feb 17 13 03:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPierce Photography
Posts: 19,714
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


Dale at Killer Image wrote:
How do you know you don't have a virus?  What is the last update date of your antivirus signature file?

I am 100% sure I don't have a virus, and for the hell of it I downloaded and scanned my computer, just to double check (i'm on a mac, there also aren't any mac viruses out there in the wild, so to speak, right now). FB doesn't actually have the ability to detect that I actually have a virus in my computer, though i'm sure they like to pretend they do!

e m i l y wrote:
No. sad  But I saw someone else post something similar today...

I noticed it, and found it so strange! I think it's BS that they're forcing people to download McAffe, especially with everything going on around him too.

Feb 17 13 03:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JM Dean
Posts: 8,930
Cary, North Carolina, US


Pop-up? Probably coming from one of their ads.
FB did get hacked recently so who really knows what was installed. FB sure wouldn’t admit it if that happened.
Feb 17 13 03:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPierce Photography
Posts: 19,714
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


JM Dean wrote:
Pop-up? Probably coming from one of their ads.
FB did get hacked recently so who really knows what was installed. FB sure wouldn’t admit it if that happened.

No pop ups or anything, I run ad blocker so I don't have to deal with it. It was just completely random. I had no idea FB was hacked into recently, that makes it even more suspicious!

Feb 17 13 03:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Maruschke
Posts: 543
Darfield, Canterbury, New Zealand


O yes, I was busy on my facebook and all of the sudden it told me  have to log in to continue and i closed it and when I wanted to log in it old me there is a malliware virus on my computer wich is preventing me from logging in and I have to scan befrore it will let me log in.
Feb 17 13 03:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,770
London, England, United Kingdom


FB reached a new low the day it was launched!
Feb 17 13 03:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,821
Laguna Beach, California, US


Feb 17 13 03:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sophistocles
Posts: 21,320
Seattle, Washington, US


Let's clear this up now.

1. There are viruses in the wild for Mac. Now. To say otherwise is, well, frankly, ignorant.

2. This is not FB. That popup is malware, likely already on your (or your friend's) computer. It may look like it's coming from FB, but it's not. If you or your friend downloaded what was "required" by this popup, you're now even more infected. Sorry about that, champ.

3. This has nothing to do with the recent hack of FB. Nothing. At all.

4. There is no number four. One through three pretty-much covered it.
Feb 17 13 03:57 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
PashaPhoto
Posts: 9,726
Brooklyn, New York, US


and if you actually logged in after installing the "fix", i would strongly suggest changing your password IMMEDIATELY smile
Feb 17 13 04:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SPierce Photography
Posts: 19,714
Amherst, Massachusetts, US


PashaPhoto wrote:
and if you actually logged in after installing the "fix", i would strongly suggest changing your password IMMEDIATELY smile

Let me make things clear for those who wish to attack me: I didn't install anything (i'm not an idiot) and I don't have a virus on my cpmuter- unless mm is infected with one! It lets me bypass it. I was venting more along the lines of my pc friend being forced (he didn't either) to download a program that isn't worthy, anyhow. Was wonderinf if anyone else had encountered it.

There is, however, a feature on fb that will actually flag you if it thinks your computer has a virius. Which is why i suspected a fb hack.

Sophistocles wrote:
Let's clear this up now.

1. There are viruses in the wild for Mac. Now. To say otherwise is, well, frankly, ignorant.

2. This is not FB. That popup is malware, likely already on your (or your friend's) computer. It may look like it's coming from FB, but it's not. If you or your friend downloaded what was "required" by this popup, you're now even more infected. Sorry about that, champ.

3. This has nothing to do with the recent hack of FB. Nothing. At all.

4. There is no number four. One through three pretty-much covered it.

I let my Apple-Certified roommate write up a reply for ya to address your "concerns", since i'm not as knowledgeable wink

1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac. There was one piece of malware about five or six months ago, but Apple patched the vulnerability almost immediately. There was also the recent Java problem, which Apple dealt with by blocking Java until the security hole was patched. But no viruses…in fact, the last live virus for the Mac was approximately 7-10 years ago, and it was next to harmless.

2. Said Apple Engineer checked the error  - it was, in fact, Facebook making the complaint. It wasn't a popup.

3. Unless you're a Facebook employee, it would be wise not to say something like that quite so emphatically. It could very easily be some security setting that they turned up too high as a reaction.

4. Then don't add a #4. Doing so is kind of silly.

Feb 17 13 04:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sophistocles
Posts: 21,320
Seattle, Washington, US


I'm laughing.

You go ahead and believe what you want. I'll continue to do my job. Best of luck to you and your friend.
Feb 17 13 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,385
Portland, Oregon, US


SPierce Photography wrote:
Wow! lol Anyone else log into facebook, only to get an error that "your computer is affected with a virus, so you have to download and run this virus scanner before we'll let you back on?" error message?

I'm on a mac (and I don't have a virus) so it let me just fake it, check a box, and go back to an account. However, they're forcing a friend of mine on a PC to download McAfee before they'll let him log back in. He just went into his husbands mac, unlocked his account there (all we have to do is check a box that says I'm virus free) and then was able to log back in later.

Does anyone know if FB got hacked into, and their download link is a virus or something that's infected unsuspecting customers? The Apple download just takes me to the apple.com support page.

It does sound like the PC has been infected -- it intercepts an attempt to open the Facebook URL with a message asking the computer's user to download & run a "special" chunk of software. 

I would never follow directions that arrive to me unsolicited like that.  I might get someone (anyone other than the anti-virus software recommended) to scan my computer. 

I seriously doubt that Facebook scans its members devices for viruses.  Indeed, though, it would be nice if Facebook had a customer support department to which these issues could be reported.

I have no trouble getting onto Facebook.  Here's a link to a facebook video of a dog enjoying some music:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=39 … =2&theater

Feb 17 13 04:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John M Hoyt
Posts: 344
Greenville, South Carolina, US


Mac owners... Beware.  Do not be misled into believing there are no "active Mac viruses out in the wild". I see these statements regularly, and yet, not a week goes by that my business is not helping Mac owners who have been compromised.
Feb 17 13 04:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
scrymettet
Posts: 32,100
Scott - permanent station of New Zealand, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica


Sophistocles wrote:
I'm laughing.

You go ahead and believe what you want. I'll continue to do my job. Best of luck to you and your friend.

Sorry,Seph but if that guy said something about computers and Bill Gates said the contrary, I would believe Sophistocles

Feb 17 13 04:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S W I N S K E Y
Posts: 24,315
Saint Petersburg, Florida, US


SPierce Photography wrote:
1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac.

lollerskates

SPierce Photography wrote:
4. Then don't add a #4. Doing so is kind of silly.

there's really only one dude looking silly right now and it isnt ambler

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 17 13 04:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lohkee
Posts: 12,596
Maricopa, Arizona, US


Sophistocles wrote:
I'm laughing.

You go ahead and believe what you want. I'll continue to do my job. Best of luck to you and your friend.

+ 1

Flashback anyone lol

Feb 17 13 05:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
joeyk
Posts: 14,697
Seminole, Florida, US


SPierce Photography wrote:
1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac. .

I'm not responding to bash Macs, I have 4. I responding to laugh at this completely ignorant statement...

Feb 17 13 06:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 15,846
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


Sophistocles wrote:
Let's clear this up now.

1. There are viruses in the wild for Mac. Now. To say otherwise is, well, frankly, ignorant.

2. This is not FB. That popup is malware, likely already on your (or your friend's) computer. It may look like it's coming from FB, but it's not. If you or your friend downloaded what was "required" by this popup, you're now even more infected. Sorry about that, champ.

3. This has nothing to do with the recent hack of FB. Nothing. At all.

4. There is no number four. One through three pretty-much covered it.

Number 4 should be:

Clean your computer and change all your passwords - especially your FB password.

Feb 17 13 07:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Al Lock Photography
Posts: 15,846
Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand


SPierce Photography wrote:
1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/44 … 0&tstart=0

Feb 17 13 07:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 18,022
Albany, New York, US


Its not a virus that's limited to FB, nor Macs.

That type of infection (whether its a virus, a trojan horse, or something else) has been around for years.
Feb 17 13 07:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dale at Killer Image
Posts: 597
San Diego, California, US


Guess what - you have a virus.

BTW, the link to the discussion of Mac viruses is a hilarious read!  Mac owners apparently pretentious enough to think they are "above" getting a virus, when everything I've read says they are far less secure than PCs, but they aren't popular enough to write viruses for.
Feb 17 13 07:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticPhotography
Posts: 7,699
Buffalo, New York, US


SPierce Photography wrote:
I let my Apple-Certified roommate write up a reply for ya

Apple is now certifying roommates? Now I've heard of everything. What do you call her, iMate?

Feb 17 13 07:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Velvet Paper Photo
Posts: 468
Lexington, Kentucky, US


SPierce Photography wrote:

Let me make things clear for those who wish to attack me: I didn't install anything (i'm not an idiot) and I don't have a virus on my cpmuter- unless mm is infected with one! It lets me bypass it. I was venting more along the lines of my pc friend being forced (he didn't either) to download a program that isn't worthy, anyhow. Was wonderinf if anyone else had encountered it.

There is, however, a feature on fb that will actually flag you if it thinks your computer has a virius. Which is why i suspected a fb hack.


I let my Apple-Certified roommate write up a reply for ya to address your "concerns", since i'm not as knowledgeable wink

1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac. There was one piece of malware about five or six months ago, but Apple patched the vulnerability almost immediately. There was also the recent Java problem, which Apple dealt with by blocking Java until the security hole was patched. But no viruses…in fact, the last live virus for the Mac was approximately 7-10 years ago, and it was next to harmless.

2. Said Apple Engineer checked the error  - it was, in fact, Facebook making the complaint. It wasn't a popup.

3. Unless you're a Facebook employee, it would be wise not to say something like that quite so emphatically. It could very easily be some security setting that they turned up too high as a reaction.

4. Then don't add a #4. Doing so is kind of silly.

I just recently quit my job as a Senior Technical Advisor for Apple. We're trained to deny & blame. So I know for a fact the Java issue was more than they let on.

Feb 17 13 07:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticPhotography
Posts: 7,699
Buffalo, New York, US


SPierce Photography wrote:

Dale at Killer Image wrote:
How do you know you don't have a virus?  What is the last update date of your antivirus signature file?

I am 100% sure I don't have a virus, and for the hell of it I downloaded and scanned my computer, just to double check (i'm on a mac, there also aren't any mac viruses out there in the wild, so to speak, right now). FB doesn't actually have the ability to detect that I actually have a virus in my computer, though i'm sure they like to pretend they do!


I noticed it, and found it so strange! I think it's BS that they're forcing people to download McAffe, especially with everything going on around him too.

There area Mac viruses, but hackers don't bother too much with Apple users because nobody does any real work on them, so why bother. Particularly when there are so few Mac users.

Feb 17 13 07:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Spaces Between
Posts: 705
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


LOL at the "Mac Engineer" attesting that there are no viruses out there.  No credible engineer would make such a statement about uncertainties.  ha ha

The fact that there was a big Mac Virus several months ago does not mean there cant be others out there right now and how the heck would one engineer claim to know every single piece of software floating around the world.  Laughable.  You should laugh in your friend's face because that's absurd.

And as others have indicated.  Apple strategy is to deny, deny, deny.
Feb 17 13 07:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KungPaoChic
Posts: 3,038
West Palm Beach, Florida, US


The Spaces Between wrote:
LOL at the "Mac Engineer" attesting that there are no viruses out there.  No credible engineer would make such a statement about uncertainties.  ha ha

The fact that there was a big Mac Virus several months ago does not mean there cant be others out there right now and how the heck would one engineer claim to know every single piece of software floating around the world.  Laughable.  You should laugh in your friend's face because that's absurd.

And as others have indicated.  Apple strategy is to deny, deny, deny.

Hell to the yeah ( Apple will never admit it) I lost a G4 to a virus.

Feb 17 13 07:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
joeyk
Posts: 14,697
Seminole, Florida, US


ArtisticPhotography wrote:
Apple is now certifying roommates? Now I've heard of everything. What do you call her, iMate?

lol

Feb 17 13 07:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,327
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Um, yeah, virus.
Feb 17 13 08:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Shot By Adam
Posts: 5,744
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


SPierce Photography wrote:
I let my Apple-Certified roommate write up a reply for ya to address your "concerns", since i'm not as knowledgeable wink

1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac. There was one piece of malware about five or six months ago, but Apple patched the vulnerability almost immediately. There was also the recent Java problem, which Apple dealt with by blocking Java until the security hole was patched. But no viruses…in fact, the last live virus for the Mac was approximately 7-10 years ago, and it was next to harmless.

When was your "roommate" certified, back in 1987? It took me all of 10 seconds in Google to find over a dozen different articles about different Mac viruses in 2012.

Feb 17 13 10:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Velvet Paper Photo
Posts: 468
Lexington, Kentucky, US


The Spaces Between wrote:
LOL at the "Mac Engineer" attesting that there are no viruses out there.  No credible engineer would make such a statement about uncertainties.  ha ha

The fact that there was a big Mac Virus several months ago does not mean there cant be others out there right now and how the heck would one engineer claim to know every single piece of software floating around the world.  Laughable.  You should laugh in your friend's face because that's absurd.

And as others have indicated.  Apple strategy is to deny, deny, deny.

We're actually trained to, which is awful.

Feb 17 13 10:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 36,524
Columbus, Ohio, US


Fapple fans are such a sensitive bunch....

You're right, you have no virus. Carry on with your online banking now.
Feb 17 13 10:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,532
San Diego, California, US


Sophistocles wrote:
Let's clear this up now.

1. There are viruses in the wild for Mac. Now. To say otherwise is, well, frankly, ignorant.

2. This is not FB. That popup is malware, likely already on your (or your friend's) computer. It may look like it's coming from FB, but it's not. If you or your friend downloaded what was "required" by this popup, you're now even more infected. Sorry about that, champ.

3. This has nothing to do with the recent hack of FB. Nothing. At all.

4. There is no number four. One through three pretty-much covered it.

+1

The whole point of these malware attacks is to make it look like it comes from a legit source that you trust whether that's Facebook or Microsoft.

The solution on a PC is to start task manager and use it to end the task for the browser you're running.

Feb 17 13 11:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Raoul Isidro Images
Posts: 6,146
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


OK, lets get back to topic.

How low can FB go?

Well... the truth is: They were just playing the Limbo on the weekend... that's all.

No virus to be alarmed about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1skT3il-Ci4

.
Feb 17 13 11:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Allen Carbon
Posts: 1,060
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand


Sophistocles wrote:
Let's clear this up now.

1. There are viruses in the wild for Mac. Now. To say otherwise is, well, frankly, ignorant.

2. This is not FB. That popup is malware, likely already on your (or your friend's) computer. It may look like it's coming from FB, but it's not. If you or your friend downloaded what was "required" by this popup, you're now even more infected. Sorry about that, champ.

3. This has nothing to do with the recent hack of FB. Nothing. At all.

4. There is no number four. One through three pretty-much covered it.

Yup thats correct.

Feb 18 13 01:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Allen Carbon
Posts: 1,060
Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand


SPierce Photography wrote:
1. A professional Apple Engineer says without reservation that there are no viruses in the wild for the Mac. There was one piece of malware about five or six months ago, but Apple patched the vulnerability almost immediately. There was also the recent Java problem, which Apple dealt with by blocking Java until the security hole was patched. But no viruses…in fact, the last live virus for the Mac was approximately 7-10 years ago, and it was next to harmless.

2. Said Apple Engineer checked the error  - it was, in fact, Facebook making the complaint. It wasn't a popup.

Your apple engineer sounds like an idiot. really.

Feb 18 13 01:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Damon Strong
Posts: 1,843
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada


Whenever I do a scan of my computer Facebook always comes up as a "suspicious" website so I don't bother with it anymore.
Feb 18 13 03:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Carl Roberts
Posts: 32,960
Saint Petersburg, Florida, US


SPierce Photography wrote:
Wow! lol Anyone else log into facebook, only to get an error that "your computer is affected with a virus, so you have to download and run this virus scanner before we'll let you back on?" error message?

I'm on a mac (and I don't have a virus) so it let me just fake it, check a box, and go back to an account. However, they're forcing a friend of mine on a PC to download McAfee before they'll let him log back in. He just went into his husbands mac, unlocked his account there (all we have to do is check a box that says I'm virus free) and then was able to log back in later.

Does anyone know if FB got hacked into, and their download link is a virus or something that's infected unsuspecting customers? The Apple download just takes me to the apple.com support page.

Looknsee Photography wrote:
It does sound like the PC has been infected -- it intercepts an attempt to open the Facebook URL with a message asking the computer's user to download & run a "special" chunk of software. 

I would never follow directions that arrive to me unsolicited like that.  I might get someone (anyone other than the anti-virus software recommended) to scan my computer. 

I seriously doubt that Facebook scans its members devices for viruses.  Indeed, though, it would be nice if Facebook had a customer support department to which these issues could be reported.

I have no trouble getting onto Facebook.  Here's a link to a facebook video of a dog enjoying some music:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=39 … =2&theater

Unfortunately, I had the same thing happen to me
I was worried it was malware too

So I logged out of facebook, closed my browser, scanned my computer with my Kaspersky anti virus (Full scan, not just a quicky) it came back clean

I restarted my Browser (Firefox) and logged back into facebook

Still got the message

Tried working around it, saying my computer is fine
No could do
I had to accept the Macafee link to continue

However, the scan appeared to happen in Facebook, not like it was a separate program.
And it came back "No virus found"
Then it allowed me to go to my feed with no further problem

So if I do have a virus, it's a virus that Kaspersky is not finding

Feb 18 13 06:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digital Photo PLUS
Posts: 5,503
Lorton, Virginia, US


Sophistocles wrote:
I'm laughing.

You go ahead and believe what you want. I'll continue to do my job. Best of luck to you and your friend.

I am laughing at "almost immediately". Apple is notorious for not doing anything about reported OSX vulnerabilities.

Here is a partial list of OSX exploits:

http://www.exploit-db.com/platform/?p=osX

Feb 18 13 06:58 am  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply