login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Five Hundred Fifty Nine Days Search   Reply
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


Since I last had a job.  I bought a cake today, to celebrate.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AjziHsaQGOs/USKT5OCNCCI/AAAAAAAAUcM/WFriS-qePKk/s640/2013-02-18-aa3c8708.jpg
Feb 18 13 05:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wildcat Photography
Posts: 1,486
Valparaiso, Indiana, US


Congratulations!
Feb 18 13 05:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sal W Hanna
Posts: 6,613
Huntington Beach, California, US


http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7f5shOCdd1rbxfido1_500.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbuXqmEVaw9dASRaqLv5O5T03oOTrgU6MiTgtlQ8R-Pjz6OjYu
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID28761/images/obama_thank_you.jpg
Feb 18 13 05:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


Sal W Hanna wrote:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7f5shOCdd1rbxfido1_500.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbuXqmEVaw9dASRaqLv5O5T03oOTrgU6MiTgtlQ8R-Pjz6OjYu
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID28761/images/obama_thank_you.jpg

Actually it was George W. Bush who was president when my project was cancelled.  It took a few years for the funding to die down.  Nice try though.

Feb 18 13 06:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
All Yours Photography
Posts: 2,241
Toledo, Ohio, US


Going on 2 years with no income and you still had money to buy a cake?  You must have been pretty rich to start with, or at least a master at budgeting.
Feb 19 13 05:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhillipM
Posts: 6,272
Martin, Tennessee, US


The new Defacto Standard ..

Unemployment

Kuddo's
Feb 19 13 06:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Spaces Between
Posts: 686
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Schlake wrote:
Actually it was George W. Bush who was president when my project was cancelled.  It took a few years for the funding to die down.  Nice try though.

actually, i dont think the comment was directed to you specifically having your job cancelled by Obama calling your boss and telling him/her to fire you.  It was a statement on the general economy in general over the last few years, where presumably you couldn't find another job (on the assumption that you are actually looking for new work).

That's there the 559 days comes in from your post topic.

Feb 19 13 06:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


PhillipM wrote:
The new Defacto Standard ..

Unemployment

Kuddo's

I ran out of unemployment before I got a rejection letter from the first job I applied to.  It sucks out there.

Feb 19 13 06:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


All Yours Photography wrote:
Going on 2 years with no income and you still had money to buy a cake?  You must have been pretty rich to start with, or at least a master at budgeting.

I've spent the last two days debating if I should buy a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L II.  With cash, of course.  I just hate zooms.

Feb 19 13 06:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


The Spaces Between wrote:

actually, i dont think the comment was directed to you specifically having your job cancelled by Obama calling your boss and telling him/her to fire you.  It was a statement on the general economy in general over the last few years, where presumably you couldn't find another job (on the assumption that you are actually looking for new work).

That's there the 559 days comes in from your post topic.

I gave up looking for work in November, about 14 months after being laid off.

Feb 19 13 06:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,334
Houston, Texas, US


Schlake wrote:

I gave up looking for work in November, about 14 months after being laid off.

Which means you (and all the folks like you) are no longer counted in the official "unemployment" numbers.....  Those numbers only count those folks actually looking for work....

Feb 19 13 11:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Andrew Thomas Evans
Posts: 23,939
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


Schlake wrote:
It sucks out there.

Not sure what you're looking for, but there seem to be a few entry to mid level jobs here in Minneapolis. Granted they aren't going to be $40k+ but they are jobs.

I can't comment on other levels of employment though.




Andrew Thomas Evans
www.andrewthomasevans.com

Feb 19 13 11:23 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
S W I N S K E Y
Posts: 24,315
Saint Petersburg, Florida, US


Sal W Hanna wrote:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7f5shOCdd1rbxfido1_500.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbuXqmEVaw9dASRaqLv5O5T03oOTrgU6MiTgtlQ8R-Pjz6OjYu
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID28761/images/obama_thank_you.jpg

if it was your intent, to show us all, just how little you know about whats going on today...you were highly successful.

http://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Feb 19 13 11:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leo Howard
Posts: 6,746
Phoenix, Arizona, US


I gotta ask.

If you haven't had a job in 559 days, how do you support yourself and your family?

I know you mentioned unemployment but that's only so much and for so long
Feb 19 13 01:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wildcat Photography
Posts: 1,486
Valparaiso, Indiana, US


Digitoxin wrote:

Which means you (and all the folks like you) are no longer counted in the official "unemployment" numbers.....  Those numbers only count those folks actually looking for work....

I do not think what you state is accurate.

Isn't the unemployment rate based only on those receiving Gov't. assistance?
Once you run out of unemployment pay...even if you are still looking...you are not longer considered unemployed by the statistics.

Wildcat

Feb 19 13 01:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,334
Houston, Texas, US


Wildcat Photography wrote:

I do not think what you state is accurate.

Isn't the unemployment rate based only on those receiving Gov't. assistance?
Once you run out of unemployment pay...even if you are still looking...you are not longer considered unemployed by the statistics.

Wildcat

No.

To be considered "unemployed", one must be looking for employment.  If one stops looking for employment, one is no longer "unemployed" (at least according to the government).....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discouraged_worker

Other sources too....

Feb 19 13 04:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


Leo Howard wrote:
I gotta ask.

If you haven't had a job in 559 days, how do you support yourself and your family?

I know you mentioned unemployment but that's only so much and for so long

I've never managed to ask a girl out on a date.  I have no family.  Just three cats.  I supported my cats with savings.  I've got thousands of dollars left, and I haven't even sold a white lens yet.

Feb 19 13 04:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Film/TV Producer
AOP Studios
Posts: 3,543
Los Angeles, California, US


S W I N S K E Y wrote:

if it was your intent, to show us all, just how little you know about whats going on today...you were highly successful.

LOL So True

Feb 19 13 04:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Film/TV Producer
AOP Studios
Posts: 3,543
Los Angeles, California, US


Schlake wrote:
Since I last had a job.  I bought a cake today, to celebrate.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AjziHsaQGOs/USKT5OCNCCI/AAAAAAAAUcM/WFriS-qePKk/s640/2013-02-18-aa3c8708.jpg

BooHoo

In Cali, everyone is hiring. Might be time to move.

Feb 19 13 04:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Film/TV Producer
AOP Studios
Posts: 3,543
Los Angeles, California, US


Sal W Hanna wrote:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7f5shOCdd1rbxfido1_500.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbuXqmEVaw9dASRaqLv5O5T03oOTrgU6MiTgtlQ8R-Pjz6OjYu
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID28761/images/obama_thank_you.jpg

Guess you forgot about that 70+ trillion that banks stole from the gov. Or the 3 trillion Rumsfeld stole before 9/11 or

oh what's the use.

All parties suck! A President is isn't elected to make change..they are elected to keep the status quo.

Feb 19 13 05:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


AOP Studios wrote:

BooHoo

In Cali, everyone is hiring. Might be time to move.

Boo hoo?  I had a party!  Admittedly, it was just me at the party, but there was cake!

Feb 19 13 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lightcraft Studio
Posts: 11,963
Delray Beach, Florida, US


Schlake wrote:

Boo hoo?  I had a party!  Admittedly, it was just me at the party, but there was cake!

You didn't invite the 3 cats???

Feb 19 13 05:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Film/TV Producer
AOP Studios
Posts: 3,543
Los Angeles, California, US


Schlake wrote:

Boo hoo?  I had a party!  Admittedly, it was just me at the party, but there was cake!

At least your spirits are up...and that's good. I didn't want to sound harsh, times are tricky still but like most of friends...they either moved to the work or went back to school to try something different, yet something they always wanted to try. And I've seen work tick up quite a bit this past couple of months and actually getting more calls for gigs this year, much more than the last 5 years.

Feb 19 13 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Virtual Studio
Posts: 5,476
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Schlake wrote:
Since I last had a job.  I bought a cake today, to celebrate.

God speed you on your way to your next gig.

Good luck!

Feb 19 13 05:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


Lightcraft Studio wrote:

You didn't invite the 3 cats???

One cat, the male, hates me.  I think he thinks he's in charge, and he isn't.

One cat, a female, is feral.  The people at the animal shelter said she didn't like people much when I adopted her.  She's lived in my house for three years, hiding, and peeking out at me with giant terrified eyes.

One cat, another female, spends all her days sleeping in my bed and doesn't do much except wait for me to pet her.

They could have all come if they had wanted too.

Feb 19 13 05:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digital Photo PLUS
Posts: 5,503
Lorton, Virginia, US


Schlake wrote:
I've got thousands of dollars left ...

Oh, so you are not the 47%. You are the 1%.

OK people, nothing to see here, move along.

Feb 19 13 05:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Leo Howard
Posts: 6,746
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Schlake wrote:

I've never managed to ask a girl out on a date.  I have no family.  Just three cats.  I supported my cats with savings.  I've got thousands of dollars left, and I haven't even sold a white lens yet.

Good for you for hanging in there so long, its not an easy task, especially in this economy right now

Feb 19 13 05:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
EvaScarlet
Posts: 6,250
Los Angeles, California, US


AOP Studios wrote:

BooHoo

In Cali, everyone is hiring. Might be time to move.

(Seriously? Where?!)

^^ Real question

Feb 19 13 09:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Schlake
Posts: 2,210
Socorro, New Mexico, US


EvaScarlet wrote:

(Seriously? Where?!)

^^ Real question

Someone I know told me early on in my unemployment that his company was hiring in my field and could never find enough workers.  But I'd have to move to California to take the job.  I decided long ago that I would never sacrifice my health for employment, and so California was not an option for me.

Feb 20 13 03:43 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers