login info join!
Forums > General Industry > What are "agency standards"....I have no idea..... Search   Reply
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


I am asking because someone here finds it funny that I don't know and decided that I was drunk because I didn't know...and thanks...you know who you are....Anyway, I started out shooting birds, bugs and landscapes in Florida. As a kid I always grabbed my dads film camera and just toyed with it. Long story short, I just started shooting models, it's been about 3yrs almost. Twenty shoots that I can count, not very experienced at all. I don't pretend to be. I was just curious as to what this term meant. I was told to just look at a top agencies photos...ok, I can think of one (Ford) only because I used to deliver FedEx to them many moons ago. Anyway, is there some criteria that is spelt out that an agency requires. I am more of a hobbyist but I would like to know for future reference is all....
Feb 22 13 10:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Christinare
Posts: 116
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US


If there's a specific agency in question, you can usually find that information on their website. If you mean in general, I think for fashion it's usually 5'9" at the shortest, and something like 34-23-33 measurements. Size 2.

Tall and slim, basically smile
Feb 22 13 11:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T-D-L
Posts: 9,979
Los Angeles, California, US


Depends on the agency, standards can be all over the place (commercial, editorial, talent, boutique vs top tier, varying markets, etc) but in general for "fashion" models:

Mid teens - mid twenties, 5'8"-5'11" (this varies quite a bit), size 00-4 (again, varies on the above factors).
Feb 22 13 11:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,897
Los Angeles, California, US


Marin Photography wrote:
I am asking because someone here finds it funny that I don't know and decided that I was drunk because I didn't know...and thanks...you know who you are....Anyway, I started out shooting birds, bugs and landscapes in Florida. As a kid I always grabbed my dads film camera and just toyed with it. Long story short, I just started shooting models, it's been about 3yrs almost. Twenty shoots that I can count, not very experienced at all. I don't pretend to be. I was just curious as to what this term meant. I was told to just look at a top agencies photos...ok, I can think of one (Ford) only because I used to deliver FedEx to them many moons ago. Anyway, is there some criteria that is spelt out that an agency requires. I am more of a hobbyist but I would like to know for future reference is all....

try this link ,it is really helpful

http://bit.ly/YNino4

Feb 22 13 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


I understand the measurements and all that. What I mean by agency standards for a photographer not a model....What do they look for in a photographer is the question....
Feb 22 13 11:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Star
Posts: 17,897
Los Angeles, California, US


Marin Photography wrote:
I understand the measurements and all that. What I mean by agency standards for a photographer not a model....

ohhhh. well then this link is much better ;-)

http://bit.ly/YNiCzv

Feb 22 13 11:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Jewett
Posts: 2,419
al-Marsā, Tunis, Tunisia


Marin Photography wrote:
I understand the measurements and all that. What I mean by agency standards for a photographer not a model....

That term applies to models, not photographers.  Photographers might need to be up to a certain standard, but that's a different expression.

Feb 22 13 11:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


Robert Jewett wrote:

That term applies to models, not photographers.  Photographers might need to be up to a certain standard, but that's a different expression.

That's where my confusion lies....I don't understand what they want? What makes you qualify for them to work with you...

Feb 22 13 11:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,803
New York, New York, US


look at the development/new faces division of agencies in your area to see what their style/taste (standards) is. You can devote most of the shoot to their format and then throw in your style for the rest.  They might like what you have to offer but make sure to give them a lot of what they say they want or show on their sites.

Many like simple clothing styling, minimal make up and natural light or no shadows etc,  Generally they want to see the model move/pose and not so much heavy photography style.
Feb 22 13 11:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T-D-L
Posts: 9,979
Los Angeles, California, US


Marin Photography wrote:

That's where my confusion lies....I don't understand what they want? What makes you qualify for them to work with you...

Simply put: being able to provide them with images they can use.

Feb 22 13 11:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


Mark wrote:
look at the development/new faces division of agencies in your area to see what their style/taste (standards) is. You can devote most of the shoot to their format and then throw in your style for the rest.  They might like what you have to offer but make sure to give them a lot of what they say they want or show on their sites.

Many like simple clothing styling, minimal make up and natural light or no shadows etc,  Generally they want to see the model move/pose and not so much heavy photography style.

That is great advice for the local market and I get what you are saying. My curiosity is as to whether there is a standard type of image or quality of image and what that is...I get high fashion -model size, hight, etc. For a Photographer what is the criteria? Is it different everywhere you go? Is it a matter of taste? Is it just about high fashion?...I see others say they are "agency certified" as photographers and I am like ok?...wtf does that really mean? How do you measure that? What's the criteria for that?....I shoot glamour, is there one? Is it just for high fashion? I ask only because I have no clue about all this stuff...hahaha

Feb 22 13 11:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


T-D-L wrote:
Simply put: being able to provide them with images they can use.

I get that, but is there a standard to that type of image? Do they want low contrast? Do they not like nudes? Do they frown on models with cheap clothes? Just a basic overall standard if there is one? I really don't know how else to explain what I am asking....other than is there a set standard of quality image and taste to an effective photo they look for?.....it's vague but everything is vague at this point...

Feb 22 13 11:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T-D-L
Posts: 9,979
Los Angeles, California, US


Star wrote:

ohhhh. well then this link is much better ;-)

http://bit.ly/YNiCzv

Ever so helpful....and you wonder why you're so popular in the forums lol.  Now, if you're done doing that Star thing you do, perhaps you can show us which one of those links is actually relevant?  You proved you know how to use google...I'm happy for you.  But can you answer the OP's question?  Do you have anything valuable to add to the discussion?

Feb 22 13 11:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T-D-L
Posts: 9,979
Los Angeles, California, US


Marin Photography wrote:
I get that, but is there a standard to that type of image?

Depends on the agency.  Different ones will want different things, even here in LA what flies for one agency might not for another.  Some just have different tastes in photography and how they want their models represented.  Usually you can tell just by looking at the boards and seeing what common traits the photographs tend to have in terms of styling, composition, post-work, concepts, etc.

ETA: Saying "Agency Approved" or "Agency Certified" or any nonsense like that is an easy way of seeing who is either a noob or lying.  There's no actual approval or certification.  Bookers here will laugh at those that say such silly things.  You don't get a framed certificate or anything, and the words "You're approved" never comes from anyone's mouth. 

So long story short: it means nothing.

Feb 22 13 11:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


T-D-L wrote:

Ever so helpful....and you wonder why you're so popular in the forums lol.  Now, if you're done doing that Star thing you do, perhaps you can show us which one of those links is actually relevant?  You proved you know how to use google...I'm happy for you.  But can you answer the OP's question?  Do you have anything valuable to add to the discussion?

hahaa it was a try so I say thanks anyway...

Feb 22 13 11:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


From what I am hearing so far it's not a one answer question, it depends on the agency. So someone bragging about being agency certified is a blowjob? Self gratification?...
Feb 22 13 11:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,803
New York, New York, US


relax- there is no standard.  If an agency likes your work and they send you girls to test, then you can claim you are "certified" by them (for lack of a better word).

It's a matter of taste who gets a job- even the great pros get rejected if their look isnt what the client wants.  A photographer should have a recognizable style that is evident in most of their shots- hence a "brand" - thats what all the best photographers have going for them and what makes their port folios stand out. And many photographers turn down work if the client wants it done in a way they aren't know for.

As for image quality- 300 dpi at 9x12 is pretty standard for print. Send TIFFS.

as for glamor - remember the difference btwn Playboy and Penthouse? the styles were different and photographers usually wouldnt be able to shoot for both because the esthetic was different.  Some painters for example, are better at capturing sunlight and others better at candle light. Don't assume that a painter could be an expert at both.
Feb 22 13 11:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


T-D-L wrote:

Depends on the agency.  Different ones will want different things, even here in LA what flies for one agency might not for another.  Some just have different tastes in photography and how they want their models represented.  Usually you can tell just by looking at the boards and seeing what common traits the photographs tend to have in terms of styling, composition, post-work, concepts, etc.

ETA: Saying "Agency Approved" or "Agency Certified" or any nonsense like that is an easy way of seeing who is either a noob or lying.  There's no actual approval or certification.  Bookers here will laugh at those that say such silly things.  You don't get a framed certificate or anything, and the words "You're approved" never comes from anyone's mouth. 

So long story short: it means nothing.

Oh ok...that I did not know...Thank you..So it's just bullshit...I thought that but I didn't know that. It's a blowjob..I call it that because it's self gratifying, grandios bullshit...ok....I get now!!! Thank you!!!

Feb 22 13 11:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


Mark wrote:
relax- there is no standard.  If an agency likes your work and they send you girls to test, then you can claim you are "certified" by them (for lack of a better word).

It's a matter of taste who gets a job- even the great pros get rejected if their look isnt what the client wants.  A photographer should have a recognizable style that is evident in most of their shots- hence a "brand" - thats what all the best photographers have going for them and what makes their port folios stand out. And many photographers turn down work if the client wants it done in a way they aren't know for.

As for image quality- 300 dpi at 9x12 is pretty standard for print. Send TIFFS.

I am relaxed...just curious about all this stuff....Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Feb 22 13 11:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
T-D-L
Posts: 9,979
Los Angeles, California, US


Marin Photography wrote:
From what I am hearing so far it's not a one answer question, it depends on the agency. So someone bragging about being agency certified is a blowjob? Self gratification?...

Pretty much.  It's fairly easy to deduce what they like.  Or you can be different and just be really good at something that is your own style and see if they can use it.  It's just easier to do what they already are predisposed to liking.  And bragging is more trying to impress naive models and photographers on MM, in the real world being a test photographer is still seen as the bottom of the totem pole lol.

Feb 22 13 11:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


Ok, thanks I get it now....I am new to this type of stuff and appreciate all the responses. Very helpful!!! Goodnight all.
Feb 22 13 11:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,803
New York, New York, US


as for glamor - remember the difference btwn Playboy and Penthouse? the styles were different and photographers usually wouldnt be able to shoot for both because the esthetic was different.  Some painters for example, are better at capturing sunlight and others better at candle light. Don't assume that a painter could be an expert at both.

You say agencies so you are looking to shoot tests for them? Just want to be clear.  Each agency tries to find girls that have that agencies look.  Their is for the most part  a FORD look and Willy look a Supreme look etc.  One agency even was know for its androgynous look.  And they want their new girls to be shoot in a way that reflects that agency's vision. MANY tests these days are no make up, simple clothes (models own T-Shirt, jeans) simple, natural looks BUT with expressive faces and poses. 

as I mentioned if you look at agency web sites new faces you often see the same photographer shooting 5 or more girls in a consistent manner.

If some one is good enough to be hired or asked to shoot tests or show cards for a world class agency and want's to say they are agency certified- I don't blame them and I would give them respect for achieving that status- it's not  blow job in this example.
Feb 22 13 11:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,087
New York, New York, US


Mark wrote:
as for glamor - remember the difference btwn Playboy and Penthouse? the styles were different and photographers usually wouldnt be able to shoot for both because the esthetic was different.  Some painters for example, are better at capturing sunlight and others better at candle light. Don't assume that a painter could be an expert at both.

You say agencies so you are looking to shoot tests for them? Just want to be clear.  Each agency tries to find girls that have that agencies look.  Their is for the most part  a FORD look and Willy look a Supreme look etc.  One agency even was know for its androgynous look.  And they want their new girls to be shoot in a way that reflects that agency's vision. MANY tests these days are no make up, simple clothes (models own T-Shirt, jeans) simple, natural looks BUT with expressive faces and poses.   I hear ya. For me, I just wanted to udnerstand the process if there was one...

as I mentioned if you look at agency web sites new faces you often see the same photographer shooting 5 or more girls in a consistent manner.

yep, I am sure they do. I only have 20 shoots but I feel like I get better everyday so it's hard not to criticize.....

Feb 23 13 12:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,803
New York, New York, US


as I mentioned if you look at agency web sites new faces you often see the same photographer shooting 5 or more girls in a consistent manner.

If some one is good enough to be hired or asked to shoot tests or show cards for a world class agency and want's to say they are agency certified- I don't blame them and I would give them respect for achieving that status- it's not  blow job in this example.
Feb 23 13 12:06 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Dimitrio
Posts: 999
Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas


agency standards for photographers i think would vary depending on what market you are in and the market the agency is targeting.

An agency in the Caribbean maybe looking for something different from say an agency in NYC, likewise, agencies in Miami may want something different than those in LA.

Some agencies maybe targeting catalog style images while others maybe targeting high Fashion.

Primarily most agencies are looking for editorial style (suitable for magazines) photos in my opinion.

I think the individual who found it funny that you didn't know, being that you are in the NYC area and NY is considered one of the top fashion agency meccas.
Feb 23 13 12:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,803
New York, New York, US


So I pretty much layed out the process no?  call and agency- ask to drop your book off- have your book contain images some what consistent with the agency's web site.  If selected ask what they want the shoot to look like in terms of make up, styling- if you agree, then shoot most of the test under those guidelines and if you wish some in your own personal style.

If you pay the girl to test you can do what you want as long as its agreed upon (nudity issues etc)
Feb 23 13 12:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tony Lawrence
Posts: 18,889
Chicago, Illinois, US


OP, start here:   http://www.dnamodels.com/women-main-board   Then here:   http://www.womenmanagement.com/models/list/1/all/1   Beautiful yet simple images.   Disclaimer:   I am not agency approved nor do I shoot for any agency.   The first step in my view is too find a few good too great faces.   Then march yourself into agencies and see what they think.
Feb 23 13 12:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Herman van Gestel
Posts: 1,804
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands


just look what they have as portfolio images...every agency has it's own style that they are looking for...

if you don't see it, don't go into that...

Herman
Feb 23 13 01:28 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers