login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Brow Powder vs. Eye Shadows Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
House of Westenra
Posts: 41
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Just curious to know if there is a genuine difference.

From my own superficial observations, to me "Brow Powder" seems like another type of eyeshadow that is just in the form of colors to match most people's hair color. Same with eyebrow pencils (eye pencils in hair color shades). 

I have a range of neutral shade eyeshadows that I have used to define and fill in brows.

I am quite willing to purchase brow powder if there is a genuine difference in the types of products.  And if there is can someone explain? Thank you! smile

P.S.  Clear eyebrow/eyelash gel vs. the brow "pomades" I am seeing in some compacts
Mar 10 13 10:47 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Lauren Reynolds Makeup
Posts: 282
London, England, United Kingdom


House of Westenra wrote:
Just curious to know if there is a genuine difference.

From my own superficial observations, to me "Brow Powder" seems like another type of eyeshadow that is just in the form of colors to match most people's hair color. Same with eyebrow pencils (eye pencils in hair color shades). 

I have a range of neutral shade eyeshadows that I have used to define and fill in brows.

I am quite willing to purchase brow powder if there is a genuine difference in the types of products.  And if there is can someone explain? Thank you! smile

P.S.  Clear eyebrow/eyelash gel vs. the brow "pomades" I am seeing in some compacts

I just use eyeshadows instead of brow powder, but I find that brow pencils, at least the ones i like, tend to have a harder texture than eyeliner pencils, and are more waxy, less creamy and deposit less pigment. Eyeliner is heavier and can be blended easier.

Mar 10 13 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 18,139
Orlando, Florida, US


Lauren Reynolds MUA wrote:
I just use eyeshadows instead of brow powder, but I find that brow pencils, at least the ones I like, tend to have a harder texture than eyeliner pencils, and are more waxy, less creamy and deposit less pigment. Eyeliner is heavier and can be blended easier.

eyebrow pencils definitely different than eyeliner pencils. eyeliner pencils are creamier and deposit more product and smudge easier, eyebrow pencils has a harder texture are more waxy less creamy and seem to not smudge as easily as eyeliner pencils do.

Mar 10 13 12:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Thomas Van Dyke
Posts: 1,500
Washington, District of Columbia, US


A-M-P wrote:
... eyeliner pencils are creamier and deposit more product and smudge easier, eyebrow pencils has a harder texture are more waxy less creamy and seem to not smudge as easily as eyeliner pencils do.

A-M-P's inference is spot on... the slip/glide of eyeliner pencils is far more fluid than eyebrow pencils... Oft I use an eyeliner pencil to fill in behind thinly space brow hair and blend with a stiff brow brush to meet the aesthetic call for by the narrative... works well for me smile

Using powder can result in "fallout" no matter how carefully applied, thus I find the pencil to be far more expedient here...

Something to keep in mind is what the "look" is functioning for... events are different than photo-shoots...  studio illumination has the ability to blast through brows on fair complexions thus require far more diligence in masking out the area underneath the brow... for blonds this is especially an issue, find a shade or two darker than the blond's natural color is ideal.  What you see when the client is in your chair may not be what a camera's image sense records when strobes are used. Experience is a brutal teacher here...

However for events, try to view the look under the primary source of illumination for the actual event if at all possible... there are compelling reasons why tenured counter reps will advise you to go over to a window and check out the product in "daylight"

hope this helps...

Mar 10 13 03:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
House of Westenra
Posts: 41
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I am better off getting a few eyebrow pencils versus brow powder. Definitely going to look into it. smile
Mar 10 13 05:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Vincent Ford
Posts: 667
West Hollywood, California, US


I find brow pencils (being wax based) don't hold up if you need the look to last all day for an event, wedding, photoshoot.

I start out with a pencil and do hair strokes to fill in areas and create a sharp defined edge to the tail of the brow.  Then I set the brows with brow powder in a similar color. 

Brow powders tend to be more neutral ashy.  If you use a warm brown on someone who doesn't have warm undertones in their hair their brows will look off.  There are a few great eyeshadows from Mac and MUFE that are taupey and work great for brows.
Mar 15 13 02:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Jaime Criel Makeup
Posts: 149
New York, New York, US


Vincent Ford wrote:
I find brow pencils (being wax based) don't hold up if you need the look to last all day for an event, wedding, photoshoot.

I start out with a pencil and do hair strokes to fill in areas and create a sharp defined edge to the tail of the brow.  Then I set the brows with brow powder in a similar color. 

Brow powders tend to be more neutral ashy.  If you use a warm brown on someone who doesn't have warm undertones in their hair their brows will look off.  There are a few great eyeshadows from Mac and MUFE that are taupey and work great for brows.

Agreed. I use eyeshadows for brows but make sure to use cool undertones...browns with blue and gray undertones look most natural and using a powder gives the brow a soft finish while a pencil can be too harsh

Mar 15 13 07:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Bloom Makeup Artistry
Posts: 349
New York, New York, US


My all time favorite brow product is MUFE aqua brow. I don't like powder because the lasting power is not there at all. Pencil is the same because I touch my brows a lot throughout the day (nervous habit).
Mar 15 13 08:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Natalie-M
Posts: 359
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Bloom Makeup Artistry wrote:
My all time favorite brow product is MUFE aqua brow. I don't like powder because the lasting power is not there at all. Pencil is the same because I touch my brows a lot throughout the day (nervous habit).

Still don't have my artist account up, but no matter.

Anyway, I agree with the aqua brow. I alternate between powder mixed with Ben Nye's final seal for brows for shoots and the aqua brow.

For weddings however, I favor the aqua brow. They aren't warm toned, which for brows is a peeve of mine.

If I need an especially light brow look, I take a small bit of the AB and really muddle it into the brush.

Mar 16 13 02:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
MakeUp By CC
Posts: 303
Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden


The brow powder that I use (Swedish brand) def feels different than most eyeshadows and doesn't have a warm undertone at all. I guess that would be the difference..
For myself I prefer pencil which I blend a bit with a hard brush..
Mar 16 13 03:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
House of Westenra
Posts: 41
Louisville, Kentucky, US


Ok!  So which eyebrow powders and/or pencils would you guys recommend? smile
Mar 21 13 10:55 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Cynna Stylz MUA
Posts: 216
New York, New York, US


House of Westenra wrote:
Ok!  So which eyebrow powders and/or pencils would you guys recommend? smile

I keep it simple ( and affordable) with NYX auto eyebrow pencil and Wet N' Wild eyebrow kit
( 2 shades and wax)

I have tried the ever so popular Anastasia Brow kit and found it just okay.

Mar 21 13 11:10 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
smashingdivas
Posts: 25
Seattle, Washington, US


One late night, I ordered the LORAC Front of the Line Pen Eyeliner. When it arrived, I discovered I ordered it in brown. Oh what to do? Never order things late at night, I tell myself!

And oh voila! It makes a fabulous brow pen (when the color matches the brow, or near to it)! Like the Suqqu brow pens. And it's water-resistant. smile

http://www.loraccosmetics.com/best-sell … e-pro.html
Mar 21 13 02:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Carmen Rachel MUA
Posts: 316
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


TLDR

just popped in to say that I use my brow powders as eyeshadows and my eyeshadows for brows interchangeably. Same stuff, different marketing/packaging
Mar 21 13 05:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Jaime Criel Makeup
Posts: 149
New York, New York, US


Kevin Aucoin pencils are amazeballs
Mar 21 13 06:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Luanna DeJesus
Posts: 1
Boston, Massachusetts, US


I use brown powder & see no difference!
Apr 11 13 09:49 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Jocelyn Marie Morris
Posts: 54
Chicago, Illinois, US


Jaime Criel Makeup wrote:

Agreed. I use eyeshadows for brows but make sure to use cool undertones...browns with blue and gray undertones look most natural and using a powder gives the brow a soft finish while a pencil can be too harsh

I appreciate you stating the difference between the cool vs. warm toned browns. I spend a lot of time thinking of this when I'm buying for my kit and for personal use. I personally find it more difficult to find quality warm toned browns, in general.

I also retain two separate neutral palettes in my kit: one with cool toned browns for European skin tones and one with warm toned browns for WOC

And I do also find for brow purposes that the cool toned browns are awesome.

Apr 27 13 08:23 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers