I’m trying to get my head around some Hair and makeup related things from your point of view to help me with my own quoting, and I was hoping I could ask you guys a few things.
Basically, how do you charge – not specific dollar figures necessarily (Unless you want to share) - just wondering what a quote from you would look like?
I'm in Australia, but work often in the USA, and I'd be interested to hear from people in both markets. That said, input from anywhere is welcomed.
So my questions are:
- How do you generally charge? (Per Look? Per face? Time on set? A flat rate? A combination?)
- If you’re doing hair and makeup (As opposed to just one of those), does that effect your rate?
- What would be some typical rates I might see from a hair/mua? (I don’t need your rates unless you feel comfortable telling me. ☺ )
- If you need to buy something specifically for a shoot, do charge the client for it in full? Or absorb part of the cost and add it to your kit?
- Do you charge a Kit Fee?
- Are there any other factors that affect your rate?
- When a job comes up, do you prefer to quote direct to the client/agency (as I would), or quote to me, and have me include you on my quote? Or does either work?
I think that pretty much covers everything I was wondering. ☺
Thanks in advance!