login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos Search   Reply
123last
Photographer
Kenn Freeman
Posts: 17
Oxnard, California, US


Now don't get me wrong.  I like tattoos for the most part.  Some of them can be rather large and intrusive for a shoot but they are art.  But I'm just curious.  Is it now a requirement that ALL glamour models have tattoos?  It sure seems that way.
Mar 21 13 03:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Hieronimi
Posts: 238
Chicago, Illinois, US


This is a good question. I was wondering if the terms "Alt model" and "Classic/Traditional model" were still even relevant anymore.

MM has always been a thriving place for people with body mods. But now, the industry in general is more open to them. I am now regularly seeing published models with tattoos. And, I don't mean in just the ink magazines we're used to seeing them in either.

I think it's great! Because, I love tattoos, and have had several ideas I've drawn up since I was 14. Now that I'm 18, I've been heavily advised against it by older people who say it will make me less marketable as a commerical model. Within the next ten years, though, I don't think that will still be as true.
Mar 21 13 03:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


For me it depends what it is.. a cute thing on the ankle, hip, or even a tramp stamp are fine. Maybe even something on the shoulder.. I also like a well done sleeve.

What I hate is when she looks like someone took a rubber stamp and just plopped it random places all over her body. I also hate the new fad where they're writing paragraphs down the side. But an absolute deal killer for me is a huge chest piece. Won't even TFP a model with that.
Mar 21 13 03:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Envy
Posts: 11,189
Nashville, Tennessee, US


John Jebbia wrote:
But an absolute deal killer for me is a huge chest piece. Won't even TFP a model with that.

*cough*
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1577222

hienvy

Mar 21 13 03:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bare Essential Photos
Posts: 3,209
Upland, California, US


Danielle Hieronimi --

Danielle Hieronimi wrote:
This is a good question. I was wondering if the terms "Alt model" and "Classic/Traditional model" were still even relevant anymore.

MM has always been a thriving place for people with body mods. But now, the industry in general is more open to them. I am now regularly seeing published models with tattoos. And, I don't mean in just the ink magazines we're used to seeing them in either.

I think it's great! Because, I love tattoos, and have had several ideas I've drawn up since I was 14. Now that I'm 18, I've been heavily advised against it by older people who say it will make me less marketable as a commerical model. Within the next ten years, though, I don't think that will still be as true.

It's nice to know that you're listening to your elders ... LOL

Yes, it would probably be best to wait till you're done with modeling to get a tat. Wish more models looked at this issue like you do by weighing the pros and cons before getting one rather than getting one and then asking questions about it.

Mar 21 13 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 342
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


Danielle Hieronimi wrote:
This is a good question. I was wondering if the terms "Alt model" and "Classic/Traditional model" were still even relevant anymore.

MM has always been a thriving place for people with body mods. But now, the industry in general is more open to them. I am now regularly seeing published models with tattoos. And, I don't mean in just the ink magazines we're used to seeing them in either.

I think it's great! Because, I love tattoos, and have had several ideas I've drawn up since I was 14. Now that I'm 18, I've been heavily advised against it by older people who say it will make me less marketable as a commerical model. Within the next ten years, though, I don't think that will still be as true.

It will make you less marketable.  While ink is becoming more commonly accepted, there still are a large number of photographers who prefer clean skin.  As one photographer on here said, "less is more, less tats more work"

Mar 21 13 03:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


John Jebbia wrote:
But an absolute deal killer for me is a huge chest piece. Won't even TFP a llama with that.

*cough*
http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/1577222

hienvy

I was thinking of you when I wrote that. Yours is different since it flows into your sleeve.

I'm talking about just one random huge plot on a chick's chest.

Mar 21 13 03:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WCR3
Posts: 966
Houston, Texas, US


Danielle Hieronimi wrote:
This is a good question. I was wondering if the terms "Alt model" and "Classic/Traditional model" were still even relevant anymore.

MM has always been a thriving place for people with body mods. But now, the industry in general is more open to them. I am now regularly seeing published models with tattoos. And, I don't mean in just the ink magazines we're used to seeing them in either.

I think it's great! Because, I love tattoos, and have had several ideas I've drawn up since I was 14. Now that I'm 18, I've been heavily advised against it by older people who say it will make me less marketable as a commerical model. Within the next ten years, though, I don't think that will still be as true.

Tattoos may or may not be something of a passing fad. On the one hand, think about Mohawk and similar haircuts. You just don't see many of them these days, but a decade or so ago they were everywhere. But with a Mohawk you could grow it out and it would be gone. Not so with a tattoo. Unless you're willing to go through a lot of your savings and a lot of pain, it's with you forever.

On the other hand, when rap music first came out I was convinced it wouldn't last a year. See how wrong I was. Maybe tattoos will be popular for decades or even centuries.

From a photographer's point of view, I dislike tattoos and won't hire a model with more than a little one that I can remove easily in Photoshop. Invariably, the eye of a viewer of a photo of a model with a tattoo goes immediately to the tat -- often just to see what it is. But whatever the reason, I've lost the viewer. If I've taken the time to set up the shot well, I want the eye on the face or shape of the body of the model, or damn near anything but the tattoo. Tattoos just don't work for me with the kind of images I want to create.

Bottom line, you can always get a tattoo, but unlike a bad haircut, you can't make it go away easily.

Mar 21 13 09:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
DaniNikole
Posts: 129
Sacramento, California, US


WCR3 wrote:
Bottom line, you can always get a tattoo, but unlike a bad haircut, you can't make it go away easily.

Well with a little photoshop/makeup... wink ha

Mar 21 13 09:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


John Jebbia wrote:
For me it depends what it is.. a cute thing on the ankle, hip, or even a tramp stamp are fine. Maybe even something on the shoulder.. I also like a well done sleeve.

What I hate is when she looks like someone took a rubber stamp and just plopped it random places all over her body. I also hate the new fad where they're writing paragraphs down the side. But an absolute deal killer for me is a huge chest piece. Won't even TFP a model with that.

Hi,

I like that you list your deal breaker, dislikes but, do not rule out all models because of ink.

I've had plenty photographers rule me out merely for the ink alone being there.

Jen

Mar 21 13 10:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,065
Orlando, Florida, US


Kenn Freeman wrote:
Now don't get me wrong.  I like tattoos for the most part.  Some of them can be rather large and intrusive for a shoot but they are art.  But I'm just curious.  Is it now a requirement that ALL glamour models have tattoos?  It sure seems that way.

I know a couple of them in L.A. who don't have any.

Mar 21 13 11:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 35,964
Columbus, Ohio, US


I'm so glad someone finally brought this up....
Mar 21 13 11:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digital Photo PLUS
Posts: 5,503
Lorton, Virginia, US


Small Fruit Pits wrote:
I'm so glad someone finally brought this up....

I know you are being sarcastic but it is a real problem. Yes, this has been brought up in the past but some women still get tattooed and try to pass themselves as models.

Mar 21 13 11:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nadia Selen
Posts: 37
Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia


Tats ftw. It depends on execution and placement. Think twice either way.
Mar 22 13 12:16 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Less Than Two
Posts: 23,401
Ann Arbor, Michigan, US


Digital Photo PLUS wrote:
I know you are being sarcastic but it is a real problem. Yes, this has been brought up in the past but some women still get tattooed and try to pass themselves as models.

That took like 5 seconds on google.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/2 … 80653.html
http://www.zimbio.com/Supermodels/artic … ls+Tattoos



Can we all just agree that different people work well for different projects, and that we should all just work with the right people for what were doing?

Mar 22 13 05:18 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TNTStudios
Posts: 278
Piqua, Ohio, US


I have no problem photographing models with tats. Some of the artwork is simply beautiful.A customer is a customer and we aim to please-no judgement just do your best to show what they want.
Mar 22 13 05:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Undead Threads
Posts: 572
Greenville, South Carolina, US


Tattoos are only good if they work for the shot.

The best tattoo in the world may not look right for the concept being shot,  and some times its a pain to get rid of them in photoshop, like when they are under fishnets.
Mar 22 13 05:54 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lilu Lynn
Posts: 55
Portland, Oregon, US


Oh this is so fun reading as I have tattoo's! I see my field as ALT model. Ok, I don't call my self a "model" yet but, if I was to put myself in a category.. I started modeling wanting to be in PlayBoy.. I fast got the idea they like a good clean model and I made the decision to get my first tattoo and maybe give up that dream. My tattoos are part of who I am, if I have to give up/ hold back who I am, then I don't want to be in this industry! To me it depends on how appealing the tattoo is. A well done tattoo is fine, depending on what kind of work you want and the photographer seeks.. It depends a lot on the photographer! I understood coming back into modeling there probably will be people who will not care to work with me because I have tattoos. The nice thing I am finding is yes, because they are becoming more accepted, I have had a great deal of photographers who want to work with me!
    I did put thought into the placement of my tattoos. I started by getting them on my back were it would be easy to hide them (not for modeling, more for any job) and once I was older I decided to do a quarter sleeve. Why not full sleeve? Because with certain shirts you can still hide it or have it be less visible. In most of my shots to re-build my portfolio, I am choosing more poses that hide it, to show versatility/ I can still have those clean looking pictures..
   So, no, I do not think it will affect you "that much".. depending on what kind of modeling you wish to pursue. Just understand there will be those jobs you may not get.
   What kinda bugs me is how models w/o tattoos are landing tattoo magazine covers! Worse there photoshopping on tattoos or drawing them on. When there are plenty beautiful girls out there with real ones! It's like the controversy about celebrities landing covers instead of models!
Mar 22 13 06:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 35,964
Columbus, Ohio, US


Digital Photo PLUS wrote:

I know you are being sarcastic but it is a real problem. Yes, this has been brought up in the past but some women still get tattooed and try to pass themselves as models.

Define "real problem"?

There are plenty of models floating around without them, small enough that are easily remedied, or in a place that isn't bad posing around it. Just pick and choose according to your tastes.

Mar 22 13 06:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,573
London, England, United Kingdom


Any more than a zero is a no no for me!
Mar 22 13 08:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,263
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


I no longer have a choice apparently - it seems any models offering implied/topless/nude all have tats and piercings here nowadays.

It's very rare to find a nude model under 30 years of age in Germany with no ink now...
Mar 22 13 10:52 am  Link  Quote 
Model
christiecreepydolls
Posts: 321
Los Angeles, California, US


My chest tattoo is the least of my worries!
*wink*
Mar 22 13 10:55 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,608
Phoenix, Arizona, US


London Fog wrote:
Any more than a zero is a no no for me!

That would be my preference too.. Unfortunately finding them is becoming extremely rare.

Mar 22 13 11:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
May Sinclair
Posts: 1,146
Los Angeles, California, US


Tattoos are very popular with my generation. I think women who are willing to model naked tend to be more free spirited, open minded, counter culture, etc, i.e. more likely to get a tattoo.

Models know tattoos will decrease their marketability.

Hobbyist photographers usually don't care if girls have a few tattoos. Some photographers even like the tattoos, as they add more personality and make models seem more like adults.
Mar 22 13 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Hieronimi
Posts: 238
Chicago, Illinois, US


Undead Threads wrote:
Tattoos are only good if they work for the shot.

The best tattoo in the world may not look right for the concept being shot,  and some times its a pain to get rid of them in photoshop, like when they are under fishnets.

+1

Mar 22 13 12:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Hieronimi
Posts: 238
Chicago, Illinois, US


John Jebbia wrote:

That would be my preference too.. Unfortunately finding them is becoming extremely rare.

It is rare on MM, but not for the pool of models looking to go on agency open calls and send in their polaroids to be considered.

Mar 22 13 12:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Hieronimi
Posts: 238
Chicago, Illinois, US


David Nelson Photograph wrote:

It will make you less marketable.  While ink is becoming more commonly accepted, there still are a large number of photographers who prefer clean skin.  As one photographer on here said, "less is more, less tats more work"

Thank you for the affirmation! I feel like  alot of photographers on MM simply don't care, which makes it tempting. But, I'm still considering going to agency open calls and sending in my polaroids to be picked up for lifestyle/commercial work.

Mar 22 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
London Fog
Posts: 6,573
London, England, United Kingdom


John Jebbia wrote:
That would be my preference too.. Unfortunately finding them is becoming extremely rare.

You just have to be picky, my two favourite llamas are both tattoo free, both under 25 and have no intention of ever getting one!

Mar 22 13 12:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Hieronimi
Posts: 238
Chicago, Illinois, US


WCR3 wrote:

Tattoos may or may not be something of a passing fad. On the one hand, think about Mohawk and similar haircuts. You just don't see many of them these days, but a decade or so ago they were everywhere. But with a Mohawk you could grow it out and it would be gone. Not so with a tattoo. Unless you're willing to go through a lot of your savings and a lot of pain, it's with you forever.

On the other hand, when rap music first came out I was convinced it wouldn't last a year. See how wrong I was. Maybe tattoos will be popular for decades or even centuries.

From a photographer's point of view, I dislike tattoos and won't hire a model with more than a little one that I can remove easily in Photoshop. Invariably, the eye of a viewer of a photo of a model with a tattoo goes immediately to the tat -- often just to see what it is. But whatever the reason, I've lost the viewer. If I've taken the time to set up the shot well, I want the eye on the face or shape of the body of the model, or damn near anything but the tattoo. Tattoos just don't work for me with the kind of images I want to create.

Bottom line, you can always get a tattoo, but unlike a bad haircut, you can't make it go away easily.

Thank you as well for the insight. I understand the implications on a possible modeling career if I get ink now and don't wait until I'm older and see how the market may or may not have changed. It's good to know that there are MM photographers who still want to work with models who have zero tattoos.

Mar 22 13 12:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Scoria
Posts: 55
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada


John Jebbia wrote:
But an absolute deal killer for me is a huge chest piece. Won't even TFP a model with that.

I find this funny, because I have a chest piece and completely understand where you're coming from with this, but I've gotten far more compliments on my chest piece than on any other piece I have... and I've got quite a few! Even by photographers, they comment most on how they love my chest piece.

Mar 22 13 06:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Louis Li Photography
Posts: 120
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


I love shooting tattoo model,chest piece or back piece.I treat it  like as a piece of art.
Mar 22 13 06:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Gabrielle Heather
Posts: 10,064
Middle Island, New York, US


John Jebbia wrote:
That would be my preference too.. Unfortunately finding them is becoming extremely rare.

why dont you link the wonderful people here to your non tattooed model folk thread here. There are pages of non tattooed folk here on mm. Obviously, myself NOT included.

Mar 22 13 06:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nico Simon Princely
Posts: 1,648
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I'm so over it as both a photographer and a man. Nothing turns me on these days like a young attractive woman that is free from ink! I see 1 in 1000 that actually have good placement, good color and actually enhancing the model in some way.

If I want a tattoo on a model for a shoot I'll put it on in post. I also don't like possible legal issues due photographing the artwork of someone else. And no the model does not own the copyright  the tattoo artist does unless she had him assign it to her or release it for photoshoots.

Clearly I make exceptions if you look at my port.
Mar 22 13 06:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nico Simon Princely
Posts: 1,648
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Louis Li Photography wrote:
I love shooting tattoo model,chest piece or back piece.I treat it  like as a piece of art.

It is a pieces of art and just like you can't photography other peoples art and sell images of it, the same goes for tattoos if they ever want to enforce it. In the U.S. at least.

Mar 22 13 06:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Gabrielle Heather
Posts: 10,064
Middle Island, New York, US


Nico Simon Princely wrote:
It is a pieces of art and just like you can't photography other peoples art and sell images of it, the same goes for tattoos if they ever want to enforce it. In the U.S. at least.

bunch of horse crap. Its free advertising for the artist. Then people ask who did it, etc. My guys are happy. I could see if they did a shitty job and dont want recognition. I am in magazines and give them credit. This is a dumb fear that got put into photographers heads by one person and one  instance or another. Let it go. I love my tattoos and if they are done well, so should others. It's about the meaning of them. Mine hold great meaning. Not everyone gets them for that purpose, but to each their own. It's a story called life and everyone lives theirs how they choose. smile

Mar 22 13 06:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,163
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


Gabrielle Heather wrote:
There are pages of non tattooed folk here on mm. Obviously, myself NOT included.

WHAT!? i thought those were temporary tattoos! *defriends you* tongue

Mar 22 13 07:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Gabrielle Heather
Posts: 10,064
Middle Island, New York, US


Michael Broughton wrote:
\
WHAT!? i thought those were temporary tattoos! *defriends you* tongue

you should. Im a baaaaaaad person!

Mar 22 13 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Broughton
Posts: 2,163
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada


Gabrielle Heather wrote:

you should. Im a baaaaaaad person!

how bad? straight jacket, leg irons and muzzle bad? "don't let her have matches" bad? "in need of some light otk paddling" bad?

Mar 22 13 09:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,765
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US


I have one semi-small tattoo on my lower back. I want to get another one but I seriously doubt I will. I already have a hard enough time with having "the right look" for jobs, I don't want some ink to stand in the way.
Mar 22 13 09:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Gabrielle Heather
Posts: 10,064
Middle Island, New York, US


Michael Broughton wrote:
how bad? straight jacket, leg irons and muzzle bad? "don't let her have matches" bad? "in need of some light otk paddling" bad?

depends on who is asking. Im just fine to others. Muzzles are for dogs, and those who use those on dogs should use it on themselves first.

Mar 22 13 10:08 pm  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers