login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Art Nude model and tattoo, requesting good word Search   Reply
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Hi there,

[edit: initially I was asking for a 'good word' type of recommendation that people would share their opinions of taking on an art model with tattoos but, was reminded that is a violation of tos.]

So, I have these two large tattoos that I got in my late 30's which are nicely done pieces yet...just this last year I started art nude modeling, mostly in nature. I love it, great creative expression, and opportunity to be outdoors.

So I am trying to get selected for an amazing workshop....I posted the information on it in my profile. Its called The Dynamic Nude Workshop at Lake Powell in October.

I'm requesting...

[edit end]

Thing is, I thought about covering my ink with dermablend yet, most photographers have not seemed to have good luck with that and so far every time I suggest it I'm told "it doesn't work."

So, I suggested to just take me on and leave the ink, they are natural pieces.

Like I mention in my profile, "Wish me luck!"

Oh, sure, had I only known I'd be interested in Art Nude modeling I wouldn't have gotten the ink but, its here. smile!

Jen
Mar 23 13 06:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 35,962
Columbus, Ohio, US


I'm a tad uncertain here.....define "put in a good word"?
Mar 23 13 06:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,780
Olivet, Michigan, US


Cherrystone wrote:
I'm a tad uncertain here.....define "put in a good word"?

This.  We've talked, and you're interesting, and promising, but unless someone has actually shot with you, there's not much they can say.

Mar 23 13 07:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NewBoldPhoto
Posts: 4,894
PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US


MyrnaByrna wrote:
Hi there,

So, I have these two large tattoos... {snip}

Two? I thought that the back, hip and the leg were one contiguous piece.
And yeah, I also don't really understand what you are asking.

Mar 23 13 07:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,062
Orlando, Florida, US


It's just my opinion, but art nudes, and especially nature art nudes and tattoos just don't mix.

I can't comply with your request.
Mar 23 13 07:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Charlie-CNP
Posts: 2,548
New York, New York, US


This kind of sounds like one of those "Vote for me" threads that are not allowed on MM generally. If you are looking for advice on how to hide tattoos, that is one thing. I am sure there are plenty of talented MUA's that can help you in that respect. However, the "Vote for me" aka "put in a good word" thing is often something that MM frowns upon.
Mar 23 13 07:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JOEL McDONALD
Posts: 608
Portland, Oregon, US


I see the female body to be a natural work of art.

I see tattoos to be like graffiti on that natural work of art.

I wish more young women would think twice about their futures, especially in modeling, before they get tattoos and/or piercings. And I find models that die their hair blue, pink or green aren't really serious about their modeling career.

It clearly type casts them.

I get so disappointed seeing a really attractive, highly suitable model that isn't usable for what I could use them for because of their ink.

Of course that's just me.
Mar 23 13 07:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vector One Photography
Posts: 2,588
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


MyrnaByrna wrote:
So, I suggested to just take me on and leave the ink, they are natural pieces.


Jen

That is an oxymoron.... if you weren't born with it then it's not natural.

Mar 23 13 07:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Top Level Studio
Posts: 3,232
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada


JOEL McDONALD wrote:
I see the female body to be a natural work of art.

I see tattoos to be like graffiti on that natural work of art.

I wish more young women would think twice about their futures, especially in modeling, before they get tattoos and/or piercings. And I find models that die their hair blue, pink or green aren't really serious about their modeling career.

It clearly type casts them.

I get so disappointed seeing a really attractive, highly suitable model that isn't usable for what I could use them for because of their ink.

Of course that's just me.

You have a point about tattoos, but hair colour is a very different case, since it's not permanent.  I've photographed one particular model with green hair, pink hair, orange hair, and she looked great in every instance.

Other models in my port have various hair colours, some natural, some not.  Even the green eyebrows on one model suited her looks for that picture.

Actually, in some ways, being willing to dye her hair unusual colours shows that a model may be more serious about her modelling career, not less.

As for looking natural, art nude pictures are often black and white, even in nature settings, while we live in a coloured world.

Mar 23 13 07:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,750
Los Angeles, California, US


You're one of the nicest people around. On your profile you  link to the site where you would like a recommendation for their workshop at Lake Powell. You're adventurous and also limber, but your field of major interest is filled with younger models without substantial tattoos. You look so lovely but I think it might be a while before you get strong recommendations for a workshop. You need to pick up more shoots that establish a strong track record of really good shots. I don't shoot art nudes so, although I like you a lot, I will never be likely to go to that workshop at Lake Powell, and I think having you ask to be recommended is a great way for the workshop to focus interest on itself. Good luck!
Mar 23 13 08:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Cherrystone wrote:
I'm a tad uncertain here.....define "put in a good word"?

If you feel you can suggest that they take on a model who shoots for trade who has tattoos then that'll do. smile

If not then, please refrain.

Thanks!
Jen
p.s. I want to go to Lake Powell and am paying my own way and declining salary as I am forbidden anyhow due to my current work obligation.

Art of the nude wrote:
This.  We've talked, and you're interesting, and promising, but unless someone has actually shot with you, there's not much they can say.

Only honest opinions asked for, if you feel that you would  be interested in shooting me, with my ink, as an art model, then that would do. Although I guess I cannot ask for only opinions in my favor but, for honest opinions regardless. I have dermablend but, it isn't always received in good regard from art photographers...so, well, thanks though! I may just have to go on my own solo vacation to get to Lake Powell. smile Yet, this trip offers the opportunity to shoot and be with a group of like minded folks.

Mar 24 13 10:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Good Egg Productions wrote:
It's just my opinion, but art nudes, and especially nature art nudes and tattoos just don't mix.

I can't comply with your request.

then of course you cannot and I appreciate it all the more. I understand that art photographers dislike ink...I can see why.

Charlie-CNP wrote:
This kind of sounds like one of those "Vote for me" threads that are not allowed on MM generally. If you are looking for advice on how to hide tattoos, that is one thing. I am sure there are plenty of talented MUA's that can help you in that respect. However, the "Vote for me" aka "put in a good word" thing is often something that MM frowns upon.

Hi,
Yes, I was a bit on the fence about that and didn't enter the link in the thread...I wonder if I should delete the thread over it too...perhaps you are right.

It might be a vote for me.

Jen

LA StarShooter wrote:
You're one of the nicest people around. On your profile you  link to the site where you would like a recommendation for their workshop at Lake Powell. You're adventurous and also limber, but your field of major interest is filled with younger models without substantial tattoos. You look so lovely but I think it might be a while before you get strong recommendations for a workshop. You need to pick up more shoots that establish a strong track record of really good shots. I don't shoot art nudes so, although I like you a lot, I will never be likely to go to that workshop at Lake Powell, and I think having you ask to be recommended is a great way for the workshop to focus interest on itself. Good luck!

Thank you so much...

I am basically asking to be granted permission to be a tag-along- without pay or tips but, just permission to come...hopefully someone who shoots art might be interested in spite of my two pieces of ink and would say so.

Jen-yet...rarely any are and they don't seem to think dermablend products work at all.

Mar 24 13 10:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Still,

This thread is turning into an interestingly honest and non-judgmental sharing of opinions from photographers on art nude models with ink.

Really, had I known at 36 that I would end up absolutely love art nude modeling after the next decade I may have waited...

Yet, both pieces of ink I own are related to my Native Heritage, (Oji-Cree) and well.. they are on me...

I do have dermablend and am a bit dismayed that photographers cannot seem to see beyond the ink or care about the cover up opportunities. Oh, the workshop itself emailed me saying that it really cannot cover, ( so I recommended just leaving them natural if anyone wanted to shoot,.)

I've previously been refused castings to shoot body paint concepts because the photographer and make up artist both said it didn't work..

So, I appreciate the replies to this thread.

Maybe it has become a "not" vote for me..but, a reality check.

Jen-hmmm...
Mar 24 13 10:37 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 5,917
New York, New York, US


MyrnaByrna wrote:

Cherrystone wrote:
I'm a tad uncertain here.....define "put in a good word"?

If you feel you can suggest that they take on a model who shoots for trade who has tattoos then that'll do. smile

If not then, please refrain.

Thanks!
Jen
p.s. I want to go to Lake Powell and am paying my own way and declining salary as I am forbidden anyhow due to my current work obligation.

Only honest opinions asked for, if you feel that you would  be interested in shooting me, with my ink, as an art model, then that would do. Although I guess I cannot ask for only opinions in my favor but, for honest opinions regardless. I have dermablend but, it isn't always received in good regard from art photographers...so, well, thanks though! I may just have to go on my own solo vacation to get to Lake Powell. smile Yet, this trip offers the opportunity to shoot and be with a group of like minded folks.

Aha! Mystery solved! (Doesn't really mean anything, I just like to say "Aha!" wink )

FWIW We have a shoot planned for when you're in NYC (is it still next month?  You travel a lot!) and although I normally don't care much for tattoos, yours fascinates me from the glimpses I've seen in your portfolio.  I intend to work with it quite a bit.

As to objections to mixing body art into fine art work, it seems to me that that's partially a matter of the nature and quality of the body art and completely a matter of how well the body art can be integrated into the final picture.  Think about posing a model (tattooed or not) with a statue, or perhaps contemplating a nude portrait in a museum.  The juxtaposition of the two objects (and when a model is included in a picture she is, effectively, an object) may very well be the telling of the picture's story.  I'm hoping that we can make the tattoo on your body within the set a picture within a picture within a picture, sort of like a Russian Easter egg.

I don't know how good or bad a word that is but it's my word on the subject.

Mar 24 13 11:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 21,684
New York, New York, US


MyrnaByrna wrote:
Thing is, I thought about covering my ink with dermablend yet, most photographers have not seemed to have good luck with that and so far every time I suggest it I'm told "it doesn't work."

Hey Jen...

I must say... those photographers that haven't had good results or say that it doesn't work, are rank amateurs... clueless... ignorant... on a level it's almost embarrassing...

If Dermablend is correctly applied, including foundation and "fixer"... with the right skin tone and shade... it works perfectly.

Mostly tattoo haters, who are looking for reasons to talk down on models with tattoos, will use bullshit as an excuse.

Check out this video by Dermablend with "Zombie Boy" Rick Genest who is getting his Dermablend coverage removed...

How to get (temporarily) rid of a TATTOO:

Dermablend Application Videos

Mar 24 13 01:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 21,684
New York, New York, US


JOEL McDONALD wrote:
I see the female body to be a natural work of art.

I see tattoos to be like graffiti on that natural work of art.

I see a cotton canvas in it's natural color as a beautiful work of art...

Putting gesso on it... and applying oil or acrylic paint... it's just destroying this beautiful canvas...

Mar 24 13 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


udor wrote:
Hey Jen...

I must say... those photographers that haven't had good results or say that it doesn't work, are rank amateurs... clueless... ignorant... on a level it's almost embarrassing...

If Dermablend is correctly applied, including foundation and "fixer"... with the right skin tone and shade... it works perfectly.

Mostly tattoo haters, who are looking for reasons to talk down on models with tattoos, will use bullshit as an excuse.

Check out this video by Dermablend with "Zombie Boy" Rick Genest who is getting his Dermablend coverage removed...

How to get (temporarily) rid of a TATTOO:

Dermablend Application Videos

Hi,
I have checked out those videos Udor, thank you.

My personal bag of dermablend has a the tattoo primer, several shades of the dermablend and the finishing powder too. I also have MAC make up fixit spray to top off too...

I'm going to message you.
Thank you,
Jen

Mar 24 13 09:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Rays Fine Art wrote:
FWIW We have a shoot planned for when you're in NYC (is it still next month?  You travel a lot!) and although I normally don't care much for tattoos, yours fascinates me from the glimpses I've seen in your portfolio.  I intend to work with it quite a bit.

...
I don't know how good or bad a word that is but it's my word on the subject.

smile!!

Yes, Thank you! So glad you remembered. I'm looking forward to it.

Jen

Mar 24 13 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The F-Stop
Posts: 1,420
New York, New York, US


Jen you bring those tats here n I'll work em into art nudes without a problem.. no coverups, they are art in themselves... a dam shame to cover anyting you have to offer.

You are the art!

paul
Mar 24 13 09:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


The F-Stop wrote:
Jen you bring those tats here n I'll work em into art nudes without a problem.. no coverups, they are art in themselves... a dam shame to cover anyting you have to offer.

You are the art!

paul

smile
I think the magic is in the light and lens, yet, thank you for the kind compliment Paul. smile See you towards the end of April.
Jen

Mar 24 13 09:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Barely StL
Posts: 754
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


In a perfect world, maybe we could design people to fit our specifications – or maybe that wouldn’t be so perfect after all.

As it is, we take people as they come. A person is a total package, not one feature or one characteristic or one tattoo – and we either shoot with them, or we don’t.

My preference would be no tattoos for art nudes.

Having said that, there are few shoots that I’ve looked forward to as much as I’m looking forward to our shoot in June. You are alive and vibrant. You have great skin, terrific skills, and an ideal look for artistic nudes – not to mention a wonderful personality. You get artistic posing in a way that the vast majority of models on MM never will.

I’ve never used Dermabond. I’ve considered it. Removing a tattoo might not be messing with nature like using Liquify in Photoshop to improve the body’s lines (which some models have requested). But a tattoo is part of the person, and it’s there because the person wanted it to be there.

Another preference is for models with long hair – but there are female models who are bald that I’d shoot in a heartbeat.

I’d shoot you with or without – tattoos or clothes. And I wouldn’t miss it for anything.

There are things in life that are just too good to pass up.

And yes, I’ll put in a good word for you. I’m sure that will make all the difference. lol
Mar 25 13 12:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,263
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


MyrnaByrna wrote:
I'm requesting...

[edit to remove the near 'vote for me' wording.I was basically requesting a vote to them to take on an art model with ink. Now, I've had the 'no ink' in art reinforced. which I 'get.'] end edit.

Like I mention in my profile, "Wish me luck!"


Jen

Who says 'no ink in art'? It's just a different kind of art... Yours looks fine - and I don't think I'm flouting critique rules by saying that judging from your port I'd have no hesitation in booking you for nude work.

'Luck' wished... smile

Mar 25 13 03:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


RKD Photographic wrote:

Who says 'no ink in art'? It's just a different kind of art... Yours looks fine - and I don't think I'm flouting critique rules by saying that judging from your port I'd have no hesitation in booking you for nude work.

'Luck' wished... smile

Danka!!!

wink
Jen

Mar 25 13 06:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Barely StL wrote:
In a perfect world, maybe we could design people to fit our specifications – or maybe that wouldn’t be so perfect after all.

As it is, we take people as they come. A person is a total package, not one feature or one characteristic or one tattoo – and we either shoot with them, or we don’t.

My preference would be no tattoos for art nudes.

Having said that, there are few shoots that I’ve looked forward to as much as I’m looking forward to our shoot in June. You are alive and vibrant. You have great skin, terrific skills, and an ideal look for artistic nudes – not to mention a wonderful personality. You get artistic posing in a way that the vast majority of models on MM never will.

I’ve never used Dermabond. I’ve considered it. Removing a tattoo might not be messing with nature like using Liquify in Photoshop to improve the body’s lines (which some models have requested). But a tattoo is part of the person, and it’s there because the person wanted it to be there.

Another preference is for models with long hair – but there are female models who are bald that I’d shoot in a heartbeat.

I’d shoot you with or without – tattoos or clothes. And I wouldn’t miss it for anything.

There are things in life that are just too good to pass up.

And yes, I’ll put in a good word for you. I’m sure that will make all the difference. lol

OH!!

My June trip to Chicago, (Regina, SK, Michigan and a bit south to you will be a busy one!!)
Thank you!
Jen

Mar 25 13 06:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,666
Saco, Maine, US


I'm a little confused about this thread.....

But just wanted to say, that you know I would love to work with you. I think that you are beautiful, you sound like a beautiful soul, and you are beautiful!

So, tattoos do not bother me when I paint a model. I can put them in a painting if I feel they would help the composition, or the painting, or I magically photoshop them out in my mind and and I do not include them at all.

Walk with more artists if you can, and good luck on your trip!

P.S. Coming east anytime soon?
Mar 26 13 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,723
Dearborn, Michigan, US


I would work with you.
Mar 26 13 03:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Silver Mirage
Posts: 1,546
Plainview, Texas, US


I, too, am a bit confused by your post. I like your look and would consider working with you, but probably not strickly as a 'nude in nature' model.

One thing lacking in your portfolio is a photo that really gives us the full effect or the tattoo - I think most clients would want to see that before they choose a model.
Mar 26 13 03:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LightAndShadows
Posts: 98
Hanford, California, US


udor wrote:
If Dermablend is correctly applied, including foundation and "fixer"... with the right skin tone and shade... it works perfectly.

I'm curious what happens to the fine vellus hairs on the skin that has properly applied dermablend on it.  Can you see them still or have they disappeared?

If you were doing a side-lit ( dramatic artistic lighting) of a llama's torso ( for instance a water-dropped "brag about the abs" fitness image of a female in a sports-bra and gym shorts) having a say palm-sized patch of abs hairless ( the covered tattoo) and the rest with hair, would surely stand out if dermablend mats those hairs down.

Mar 26 13 04:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kyle T Edwards
Posts: 415
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada


You're going to be down Michigan way?  When and where?  I'd love to shoot with you!!
Mar 26 13 04:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Atelier Hereau
Posts: 69
Stoughton, Massachusetts, US


Cherrystone wrote:
I'm a tad uncertain here.....define "put in a good word"?

where does she say "put in a good word"?

Mar 26 13 04:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Atelier Hereau
Posts: 69
Stoughton, Massachusetts, US


JOEL McDONALD wrote:
I see the female body to be a natural work of art.

I see tattoos to be like graffiti on that natural work of art.

I wish more young women would think twice about their futures, especially in modeling, before they get tattoos and/or piercings. And I find models that die their hair blue, pink or green aren't really serious about their modeling career.

It clearly type casts them.

I get so disappointed seeing a really attractive, highly suitable model that isn't usable for what I could use them for because of their ink.

Of course that's just me.

And me as well.  you stated it better than I.

Mar 26 13 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Two Pears Studio
Posts: 3,313
Wilmington, Delaware, US


Work with what you got. Accept that for some the ink will stink... and for others it will be divine.

Be truthful and use it to your advantage...
Mar 26 13 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,833
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


Two Pears Studio wrote:
Work with what you got. Accept that for some the ink will stink... and for others it will be divine.

Be truthful and use it to your advantage...

Hi,

Thank you,

While I fully accept this, I am still interested in trying out the dermablend. smile

Jen

Mar 27 13 10:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 21,684
New York, New York, US


LightAndShadows wrote:

I'm curious what happens to the fine vellus hairs on the skin that has properly applied dermablend on it.  Can you see them still or have they disappeared?

If you were doing a side-lit ( dramatic artistic lighting) of a model's torso ( for instance a water-dropped "brag about the abs" fitness image of a female in a sports-bra and gym shorts) having a say palm-sized patch of abs hairless ( the covered tattoo) and the rest with hair, would surely stand out if dermablend mats those hairs down.

I am really not sure, because I don't shoot in a way that those hairs play a role in my photography.

I would guess that those hairs are covered.... but I really can't tell you about that.

Mar 31 13 07:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LightAndShadows
Posts: 98
Hanford, California, US


udor wrote:
I am really not sure, because I don't shoot in a way that those hairs play a role in my photography.

I would guess that those hairs are covered.... but I really can't tell you about that.

Thanks.

Guess I'll need to ask a MUA who does bridal and has dermablended over a bride's visible tattoos.

Mar 31 13 07:35 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers