login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Model Cancellations at the last moment Search   Reply
first12
Photographer
terrysphotocountry
Posts: 4,076
Rochester, New York, US


ChiMo wrote:
Jay, you're new here so let me give it to you straight - on M/M, 90% of the "models" are worthless. The other 10% are awesome.

That "new model" you encountered is pretty par for the course. She doesn't care what you have to say or think because she is only here to be able to tell her friends she is a "model".

Amen!

Mar 26 13 12:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,157
Portland, Oregon, US


Marin Photography wrote:
Require a deposit. This way if they don't show at least you have something to buy beer with!....

From the original post, it was not clear to me whether we were talking about a situation where...
   a)  The model was paying the photographer,
   b)  The photographer was paying the model, or
   c)  The model & the photographer were having a trade shoot.

For a), above, I guess it's okay to ask for a deposit.  For the others, it would be inappropriate & unfair.

Yes, sometimes models flake (or cancel late).  But sometimes photographers flake (or cancel late or fail to deliver promised images), too.  If a deposit protects the photographer from flaky models, what protects the model from flaky photographers?

Mar 26 13 12:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rp_photo
Posts: 42,490
Houston, Texas, US


Loki Studio wrote:
A 50% deposit will quickly eliminate all bullshit.

And 90% of the models who would otherwise be a good bet.

Not the way to go, IMHO.

-B-R-U-N-E-S-C-I- wrote:
Rule #1: Don't invest too much mental energy and certainly none of your money ahead of time when shooting with non-agency models who you aren't sure have a stellar reputation.

Rule #2: Don't be surprised when a newbie model flakes or backs out at the last minute. This is the reason for rule #1.

Rule #3: Always have a backup plan, even if it's only to settle down on the couch with a beer and a good book.




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

That's more like it.

Mar 26 13 02:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
cannysage
Posts: 115
Los Angeles, California, US


I require a non refundable 30% deposit.
flakes are a huge part of the business imo.. bigger the client list, more flakes you'll encounter.
Mar 26 13 02:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticGlamour
Posts: 3,846
Phoenix, Arizona, US


AJScalzitti wrote:
OK so now I want a chart of warning signs - claimed excuses - what really happened big_smile

LOL! No problem...lol

I have this scientific CHART of "shoot likelihood"...with good communication, and without good communication. I've been tracking it for awhile.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/chart_zps4ccc219b.jpg

            shoots/month                   shoots/month
         (with collaboration)                 (without)

It's all about communication ahead of the shoot.
The last thing you want to be is ego-statistical.

Mar 26 13 04:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
L A U B E N H E I M E R
Posts: 8,552
Seattle, Washington, US


ArtisticGlamour wrote:

LOL! No problem...

I have this scientific CHART of "shoot likelihood"...with good communication and without good communication.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/chart_zps4ccc219b.jpg

            shoots/month                   shoots/month
         (with collaboration)                 (without)

It's all about communication ahead of the shoot.
The last thing you want to be is ego-statistical.

remember PYPI's? i like that one.

Mar 26 13 04:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticGlamour
Posts: 3,846
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Mark Laubenheimer wrote:
remember PYPI's? i like that one.

"frowchalts...rots of frowchalts"...

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/f1_zps9ddeaca2.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/f2_zps78fd13e5.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/f3_zpsdf2373d4.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/f4_zps93372b62.jpg
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g461/TyPortfolio/f5_zpsa5c2b6ec.jpg

Mar 26 13 04:33 pm  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers