login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Models who say "no" to nudes .... Search   Reply
first123last
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,575
Albany, New York, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
Models who say "no" to nudes ....... but have a couple secret passworded folders and most of your "credited photos" are erotic nudes, implied(?) masturbation, and spread shots, how do you expect photographers to interpret that?  Should we take you at your word and assume you don't do nudes, or contact you for the type of work we see on line?

It means "I'll shoot nudes with people with whom I WANT to shoot nudes & not every schmuck that comes along."

Apr 15 13 07:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Teila K Day Photography
Posts: 1,910
Richmond, Indiana, US


You interpret "I don't do nudes" like any person who has a basic understanding of the English language would.  You simply expect and respect that the person doesn't do nudes.  There isn't a darn thing that you need to interpret.

If the model knows that you shoot nudes and he/she feels like shooting nudes with you, then he or she will let you know.  How hard is that.

What's really scary is that people who can't understand something so simple, are the same people often serving on jury duty.

Too easy; a 3rd grader could figure it out.
Apr 15 13 09:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eric Mazzone Fotograf
Posts: 16
Kalamazoo, Michigan, US


My good friend has it marked 'no nude' and in her profile that she doesn't do nudes and will bring an escort.  She gets so many photographers constantly asking her to shoot nudes and throwing a fit about the escort that they're chasing her away from MM. 

It's not just the constant asking when she's clear that she doesn't, it's the fact that she says WHY she doesn't, and there are absolutely NO nudes in her portfolio.  Along with the badgering her about not shooting nude, AND that they don't allow escorts. Granted I'm usually the one to escort her, because my car is in much better condition than hers, but I also go to assist her with her stuff AND act as an extra set of hands for the photographer.  The most I usually do is watch how the photographer works to learn new things.  Maybe ask questions afterwards about some technique they used.  Grab equipment as needed.  I'm not a heavy, heck she'd normally kick my rear end.

One photographer has even gone so far tell her off for not shooting nudes, and tell her he doesn't want to work with someone who wants an escort because she's scared of him, YET ignoring the fact that it's a logistical thing.  She does love his work, I love his work too, but she's not doing anything like that because of her situation.  There's no reason to get pissy about it.

Heck 90% of all the contact she's getting on MM is nothing but "I want you nude", then getting insulted when she says no.  Or all about I want to shoot you but no escorts allowed.
Apr 15 13 12:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Camerosity
Posts: 4,754
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


You can't always assume that password-protected photos are nudes.

I have two protected folders. Everything in my portfolio is over 15 months old. I'm sifting through 41,000+ photos that I've shot since the last update and, as I find a portfolio candidate, I park it in one of them. About 60 photos that are similar in style to what's in my portfolio but more recent and hopefully better. The other is a set of pinup photos that can't be used in a public portfolio while they're pending publication.

Actually there's a third folder (that's hidden most of the time). It contains one photo that I sometimes use to show a hard-to-describe location to models I'm planning to shoot with. The photo was shot on a very windy day, and by the time we got to that location the model's hair was irreparable. Not portfolio material.
Apr 15 13 01:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sierra McKenzie
Posts: 710
Seattle, Washington, US


some models used to do nudes but don't anymore.

some models only shoot nudes if its their idea and they choose the photographer.

move on and find a model who says they shoot nudes if you're looking for someone for a nude project.
Apr 15 13 01:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Barely StL
Posts: 730
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


It's probably okay to ask politely if a model checks the "no" box but has nudes in her portfolio - especially if they're artistic nudes, and you're looking for model to shoot in a similar style. Maybe she just doesn't want to turn up in searches by every photographer who's looking for a nude model.

I've never done that, but I wouldn't rule it out for all time.

Also, some models may shoot nude implieds or topless photos but not "nudes." There is no in-between option.

On the other hand, you'll probably want to pass if the model's profile said "Never under any circumstances will I ever shoot nudes, and don't insult me by asking."

Sometimes a little common sense can go a long way.
Apr 15 13 01:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Designit - Edward Olson
Posts: 1,610
Eureka, California, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
... but have a couple secret passworded folders and most of your "credited photos" are erotic nudes, implied(?) masturbation, and spread shots, how do you expect photographers to interpret that?  Should we take you at your word and assume you don't do nudes, or contact you for the type of work we see on line?

You have far too many posts to not know the answer to this question, considering the large number of posts and threads on just this specific question.

Which makes your post either a rant or trolling.

But certainly wasting everyone's time.

Apr 15 13 01:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ron Spackman
Posts: 209
High River, Alberta, Canada


I agree. This is just a waste of time. Overdone X 1000. Tiresome beyond. Yawn...
Apr 15 13 02:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
glumpy
Posts: 516
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Designit - Edward Olson wrote:

You have far too many posts to not know the answer to this question, considering the large number of posts and threads on just this specific question.

Which makes your post either a rant or trolling.

But certainly wasting everyone's time.

Yet you took the time to reply therefore wasting your time as well.

Curious.

Apr 15 13 04:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
afplcc
Posts: 5,956
Fairfax, Virginia, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
... but have a couple secret passworded folders and most of your "credited photos" are erotic nudes, implied(?) masturbation, and spread shots, how do you expect photographers to interpret that?  Should we take you at your word and assume you don't do nudes, or contact you for the type of work we see on line?

It may be that she used to do nudes but has stopped.  Or more likely she does nudes very selectively.

One would assume from my portfolio that I ONLY shoot nudes.  That's not the case.  Should model resent when I contact her for a non-nude shoot?

Ed

Apr 15 13 05:08 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Damianne
Posts: 15,973
Austin, Texas, US


Honestly you're supposed to assume that no matter what a model shoots elsewhere, deciding whether or not to shoot with you and do whatever content you propose is its own, individual decision and has nothing to do with her previous ones.

Then you find models that want to shoot with you

Then you get over this weird concern over what people are doing.
Apr 15 13 05:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SayCheeZ!
Posts: 17,476
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Mizz Amanda Marie wrote:
Ask. The worst that can happen is a no. Models may shoot nudes but not want to shoot them with everyone.

You may be the exception to the rule.
I think the majority of the models on MM get insulted, disgusted, infuriated, or just plain pissed off when people ask them when it clearly states "no".

Maybe that's why so many portfolios emphasize the point even more with "DO NOT CONTACT ME REGARDING NUDE WORK", "I ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT DO ANY NUDE MODELING", "IF YOU ASK ME TO DO NUDE PHOTOS I WILL BLOCK YOU FROM CONTACTING ME" or similar phrases. 

It shouldn't have to be repeated in a profile, it makes the whole website appear to be unprofessional and full pervs, especially to an outsider.

There's a whole women's campaign that tries to emphasize "No means No!", by encouraging people to ask anyways its sort of goes against that ideology.

Maybe place a casting call instead.  If they desire to shoot with you, they'll be the ones asking.
-------------------------------------------------------

To my surprise, many of the hidden, password protected albums don't have any nude work displayed in 'em.

Apr 15 13 05:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Carolina Goddess
Posts: 146
Augusta, Georgia, US


My Bio says I do not do TF nudes. Do I do them yes but I want to be a little more picky about who I shoot TF nudes with from now on. Just made a poor choice recently.
Apr 15 13 05:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,180
London, England, United Kingdom


If i wanted to hire a model to do nudes then I'd hire a model that says she does nudes.

I don't get offended if someone asks me to do something i've already said i don't do, i may ignore it though.

I have no problem with photographers contacting me saying 'if you ever decide to do x i would love to work with you', it shows that they have at least read my profile and acknowledge my limits whilst also putting the offer out there.
Apr 15 13 05:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Carolina Goddess
Posts: 146
Augusta, Georgia, US


JadeDRed wrote:
If i wanted to hire a model to do nudes then I'd hire a model that says she does nudes.

I don't get offended if someone asks me to do something i've already said i don't do, i may ignore it though.

I have no problem with photographers contacting me saying 'if you ever decide to do x i would love to work with you', it shows that they have at least read my profile and acknowledge my limits whilst also putting the offer out there.

+1

Apr 15 13 05:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MikeW
Posts: 110
Cocoa Beach, Florida, US


First, if a photographer is up front in his inquiry of a model, then there should not be any surprises at the session. Many models say no to nudity but they are talking about full frontal nudity. They may often agree to veiled nudity, topless, artistic nudes, etc. It is up to the photographer to be explicit about what type of images are to be captured. Note that even if a model says yes to nudity, that does not mean she will be OK with all types of nudity. Photographer's should say exactly what they want and stick to the agreed to plan. Then there is no issue.
Apr 15 13 05:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,748
Olivet, Michigan, US


Teila K Day Photography wrote:
You interpret "I don't do nudes" like any person who has a basic understanding of the English language would.  You simply expect and respect that the person doesn't do nudes.  There isn't a darn thing that you need to interpret.

If the model knows that you shoot nudes and he/she feels like shooting nudes with you, then he or she will let you know.  How hard is that.

What's really http://assets.modelmayhem.com/images/smilies/scary.pngis that people who can't understand something so simple, are the same people often serving on jury duty.

Too easy; a 3rd grader could figure it out.

Marking "No" means, more or less, "not seeking nude work."  They may, or may not, accept an offer if it comes along.  Some models who DO seek nude work mark no.  One I remember in particular had "no" marked.  The profile text said her limits were "Playboy style nudes."

Apr 15 13 05:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hotel Room Shooter
Posts: 96
Washington, District of Columbia, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
You're missing the point entirely.  I don't care if someone is a bitch or an asshole.  I care that people are hypocritical and dishonest.  Call it a personality trait or a moral code or an obsession or a mental illness - truth matters, and blatant dishonesty disrupts the balance of my universe.  It distresses me that people with the morals of politicians are a part of something I'm passionate about.

I don't know how you have made it through life so far. Life is full of hypocritical and dishonest people. They may not be 24/7 but we all have our moments. Your universe must be in a constant state of disruption. No one does the right thing all of the time.

This rings even more true on the internet where no one is who they pretend to be. It comes with the vail of anonimity. Most models on here are not models (more hobbyists) and most photographers are not phototagraphers (more hobbyists) so to hold everyone here to a moral compass is misguided and doomed to fail.

Apr 15 13 05:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,748
Olivet, Michigan, US


Eric Mazzone Fotograf wrote:
My good friend has it marked 'no nude' and in her profile that she doesn't do nudes and will bring an escort.  She gets so many photographers constantly asking her to shoot nudes and throwing a fit about the escort that they're chasing her away from MM. 

It's not just the constant asking when she's clear that she doesn't, it's the fact that she says WHY she doesn't, and there are absolutely NO nudes in her portfolio.  Along with the badgering her about not shooting nude, AND that they don't allow escorts. Granted I'm usually the one to escort her, because my car is in much better condition than hers, but I also go to assist her with her stuff AND act as an extra set of hands for the photographer.  The most I usually do is watch how the photographer works to learn new things.  Maybe ask questions afterwards about some technique they used.  Grab equipment as needed.  I'm not a heavy, heck she'd normally kick my rear end.

One photographer has even gone so far tell her off for not shooting nudes, and tell her he doesn't want to work with someone who wants an escort because she's scared of him, YET ignoring the fact that it's a logistical thing.  She does love his work, I love his work too, but she's not doing anything like that because of her situation.  There's no reason to get pissy about it.

Heck 90% of all the contact she's getting on MM is nothing but "I want you nude", then getting insulted when she says no.  Or all about I want to shoot you but no escorts allowed.

I'm not far from you, and I'm happy to shoot exactly, and only, what the model wants, for a reasonable fee.  And, while I don't do escorts, for the reason you so eloquently stated, I'm happy to explain how I do things to novice photographers who hire me for that service.

While I typically need nude for a trade shoot to make sense, I wouldn't dream of trying to pressure someone into nudes.  That's a recipe for drama and headaches.  On the other hand, I have a trade shoot scheduled in your immediate area for Wed.  No nudes, and no escort, although there will be another female there for other reasons.

Apr 15 13 05:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Isis22
Posts: 1,663
Muncie, Indiana, US


You care too much.
Apr 15 13 06:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Eric Mazzone Fotograf wrote:
The most I usually do is watch how the photographer works to learn new things.  Maybe ask questions afterwards about some technique they used.  Grab equipment as needed.  I'm not a heavy, heck she'd normally kick my rear end.

I'm not even going to bother getting into the escort debate......but turning your friend's photographers into unpaid photography teachers is kind of rude.

Apr 15 13 08:20 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,436
Anchorage, Alaska, US


R A V E N D R I V E wrote:
a lot of people attempt to cut through the bullshit by searching for Nude:Yes in the search filter, giving those models lots and lots of zany work offers

some models want to be free of the filter so they put Nude:No in their profile.

Bingo.

To the point and quickly.

Thank you.

Apr 15 13 08:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 25,878
Dearborn, Michigan, US


I shoot with other models.  They usually contact me.  smile
Apr 15 13 08:30 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,436
Anchorage, Alaska, US


BTHPhoto wrote:

Which doesn't answer my question at all.  Will they be offended if I ask?  Or do they expect that, by checking "no," they won't get asked.

BTH,

I think anyone would be a fool to be offended by your asking.

I consider your integrity well and regard you that way too. This is because of our messaging communication BUT mostly because of YOUR response(s) to mine.

Thank you,
With respect to you,
Jen

Apr 15 13 08:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J O H N A L L A N
Posts: 9,463
Santa Ana, California, US


Camerosity wrote:
You can't always assume that password-protected photos are nudes.

I have two protected folders. Everything in my portfolio is over 15 months old. I'm sifting through 41,000+ photos that I've shot since the last update and, as I find a portfolio candidate, I park it in one of them. About 60 photos that are similar in style to what's in my portfolio but more recent and hopefully better. The other is a set of pinup photos that can't be used in a public portfolio while they're pending publication.

Actually there's a third folder (that's hidden most of the time). It contains one photo that I sometimes use to show a hard-to-describe location to models I'm planning to shoot with. The photo was shot on a very windy day, and by the time we got to that location the model's hair was irreparable. Not portfolio material.

Ditto. I have two password protected folders and neither is a secret porn stash. Although from time to time I get PMs from photographers wanting access to the 'dirty pictures'. Yech.

One is shots I took during the 90s on Kodachrome.
The other I use when I'm going to take a photo I'm on the fence about, out of my main portfolio, without loosing all the comments and lists.

Neither of them do I want in my current portfolio, as a result of someone clicking 'show all'. But I want them accessible and not loose lists.

Apr 15 13 08:36 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,436
Anchorage, Alaska, US


Scarlett de la Calle wrote:
As for your comments in response to this... why are you so offended that this model gets butt hurt at you? Do you know her in real life? Is this the end of a beautiful friendship. I just don't get how it hurts you so much there are bitches and assholes in every industry just don't respond delete the message and move along.

Scarlett,

For what its worth, Fairbanks has a small pool of models/photographers here even though there is a positively disproportionate population of artists here. Someone with a big mouth that talks can cause some issue. I completely understand BTH being curious.

I had an issue with a NON mm member photographer when I first moved here. Really nearly scared the modeling hobby right off my radar!!

Jen

Apr 15 13 08:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
R Michael Walker
Posts: 11,939
Costa Mesa, California, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
... but have a couple secret passworded folders and most of your "credited photos" are erotic nudes, implied(?) masturbation, and spread shots, how do you expect photographers to interpret that?  Should we take you at your word and assume you don't do nudes, or contact you for the type of work we see on line?

Think of it as them presupposing they will be saying "no" to you but not to everyone one. Or maybe you (or I) will be one of those "exceptions". Only way to know is ask. But then if you ARE a "no" expect some flack. I used to ask. I got tired of the "can't you read" sort of comments so I no longer do.

Apr 15 13 09:00 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
MB Jen B
Posts: 2,436
Anchorage, Alaska, US


adding:

There were actually two photographers here in Fairbanks that nearly scared the modeling right out of me. Their reactions and interactions with me and their seeming liability has me super leery of doing shoots with anyone in town at all!! I'm talking about shoots that are only for clothed concepts too!

So, I really understand BTH's post, it might be a geographical or "clique" thing here.

Jen
Apr 16 13 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Amber Dawn - Colorado
Posts: 6,019
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


From what I've noticed a lot of Models say "no nudes" to keep away the creeps. If they do have nudes up I don't see why any Model wouldn't expect someone to contact them about doing nudes. It's just common sense ...
Apr 17 13 04:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Expression Unlimited
Posts: 1,123
San Diego, California, US


''....modeling nude is usually kindof a big deal for a woman...they don't want to drop their panties for anyone who buys a digital rebel. ..."


lol

lol

awesome, but true!
Apr 17 13 09:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
deletedxxx
Posts: 149
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia


Wheres the "not this shit again" photo?
Honestly if somone is doing something you aren't sure about ask THEM!!!
You can post your question on a public forum, get hundreds of answers and speculations from hundreds of people, but not one is going to be accurate because you aren't asking the right person. Golly, asking somone else what another person likes/wants/is thinking is a method used by Primary School kids, not adults.

Whats the worst thing that can happen? Getting blocked? Getting a snarky reply then blocked? Is getting blocked or a snakky e-mail going to devastate you?

I thought you had to be over 16 to get on this site?
Apr 17 13 09:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SensualThemes
Posts: 3,042
Swoyersville, Pennsylvania, US


'I shoot nudes' vs 'I don't'

is often like sex on a first date


idon't usually just means 'I don't with you...unless I choose to

why is this hard?

why is this bad?

why is this a problem

have never asked a llama to go nude that. wouldnt...because I wait till we are ccomfortable (not on set, after the first couple shoots) to see if she likes the cconcept

and yea.  I said concept.

not 'show me your lady parts' but 'ddoesn't this sound cool?...but it needs a nude llama'



Either she's in or not.  No stress.
Apr 18 13 12:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Expression Unlimited
Posts: 1,123
San Diego, California, US


landofy wrote:
Wheres the "not this shit again" photo?
Honestly if somone is doing something you aren't sure about ask THEM!!!

QFT



ps
I'm not surprised someone doesn't want to work with someone who wants an escort because she's scared of him!!

Apr 18 13 12:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eric Mazzone Fotograf
Posts: 16
Kalamazoo, Michigan, US


Expression Unlimited wrote:
QFT



ps
I'm not surprised someone doesn't want to work with someone who wants an llama herder because she's scared of him!!

Again, she's not scared of him.  Just more comfortable with having an extra person around.  Do you even understand the buddy system the military has?  The two of us are both military, so we're conditioned to keeping paired up when working with unknown people.  If the original shoot proposal was non-nude, she may have been willing to do it without an llama herder.

Further I have seen their messages back and forth, after she refused nude and counter-offered non-nude, the 'tog claimed that he only has use for her nude and that she's not cute anyhow, THAT is pressuring a model to shoot beyond her comfort zone.

I can see it being considered rude to attend a shoot to learn, but that's not my primary objective. My primary objective is long distance transportation, my car is in better condition and I know the area down her much better than her.  She's not from around here.  I stay invisible and only participate when needed, usually where the photographer is telling me to do something if he needs an extra set of hand, or if my friend needs something, otherwise I'm way back doing my own thing.  I'm not there as a bodyguard, SHE can kick my ass.  I've made that clear a few posts back, to claim that she's scared of this 'tog without an llama herder is ignoring stated facts.

Apr 19 13 07:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Decay of Memory
Posts: 568
Asheville, North Carolina, US


Eric Mazzone Fotograf wrote:
Again, she's not scared of him.  Just more comfortable with having an extra person around.  Do you even understand the buddy system the military has?  The two of us are both military, so we're conditioned to keeping paired up when working with unknown people.  If the original shoot proposal was non-nude, she may have been willing to do it without an escort.

Further I have seen their messages back and forth, after she refused nude and counter-offered non-nude, the 'tog claimed that he only has use for her nude and that she's not cute anyhow, THAT is pressuring a model to shoot beyond her comfort zone.

I can see it being considered rude to attend a shoot to learn, but that's not my primary objective. My primary objective is long distance transportation, my car is in better condition and I know the area down her much better than her.  She's not from around here.  I stay invisible and only participate when needed, usually where the photographer is telling me to do something if he needs an extra set of hand, or if my friend needs something, otherwise I'm way back doing my own thing.  I'm not there as a bodyguard, SHE can kick my ass.  I've made that clear a few posts back, to claim that she's scared of this 'tog without an escort is ignoring stated facts.

Scared, unrealistic? Of course not, don't be ridiculous, she's just more comfortable with a military style buddy system when at those shoots. Does she need an escort to deal with the unbearable pressure to "shoot beyond her comfort zone" that comes from a photographer telling her he only wishes to shoot her nude?

I'm not super familiar with military style photography and modelling operations but I do have the occasional missionaries come to the door to chat, always in pairs. I'd swear at times that they seem to be worried about some mental contagion that could result if they approached unbelievers alone. I suppose it's true enough that the wicked world can lead to a devastating fall from grace for those who are alone.

Best of luck, keep it safe.

Apr 20 13 04:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Jervey Preston
Posts: 3
Detroit, Michigan, US


Like has been said by several here...its up to the model's discretion. He or she may say either yes or no to nude shots in their profile, but elect to choose to go in what appears to be a contradictory path. Some do not feel comfortable shooting nudity with any photographer. While others who initially say no to nude shots may totally be open and feel comfortable shooting nudes with certain photographers. Photographers shouldn't berate models who choose to do or not to do certain photographs as long as its clearly addressed in the beginning.
Apr 20 13 05:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
- Aina -
Posts: 688
Redlands, California, US


It could be a bit of a privacy thing, initially. Many people take it at it's front and don't dig. I didn't advertise that I was doing nudes initially (though I started with my very first shoot).
Apr 20 13 08:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BTHPhoto
Posts: 6,720
Fairbanks, Alaska, US


I know it's hopeless, but on the slim chance that this thread could actually be put back on track and produce some legitimate answers, let me try to explain it this way:

Even though all the drama-mongers want it to be so, this is NOT the question:
"Models, if you have nudes displayed, why don't you say yes to everyone who wants to shoot nudes with you?"

The actual question I am hoping people will discuss is:
"Models, if you shoot nudes with some photographers and the evidence in right there your portfolio and/or your credited photos, why don't you just admit it?  Do you really think you're fooling anyone so they'll believe you don't do nudes and therefore not ask?  Because that makes NO sense at all to me.  Do you think that blatantly lying in the face of evidence doesn't influence peoples' perceptions of you in a negative way and drive away legitimate offers?  Because it seems to me that's a very likely result from such behavior."
Apr 20 13 08:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
varton
Posts: 2,161
New York, New York, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
... but have a couple secret passworded folders and most of your "credited photos" are erotic nudes, implied(?) masturbation, and spread shots, how do you expect photographers to interpret that?  Should we take you at your word and assume you don't do nudes, or contact you for the type of work we see on line?

I think there is nothing there to be interpreted. Some models may just not want to be branded as an erotic or art nude model, therefore some create different profiles for each genre they are interested in doing.  Some hide those "objectionable" risqué photos behind password protected albums.
For instance I only grant access to my fetish and erotic art port upon request because those are limited niche markets and it would affect my bottom line finding better paid mainstream work I am more interested in doing.
Unless models are not comfortable with their physique or under constant pressure from  family or loved ones or because of their strict religious observance, they rarely object to shoot nudes even if they flagged No to shoot nudes section,  provided that the photographer is not a creep and there is quality in work and a legitimate goal behind the shoot such as publication or gallery exhibits.

Apr 20 13 08:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Decay of Memory
Posts: 568
Asheville, North Carolina, US


BTHPhoto wrote:
I know it's hopeless, but on the slim chance that this thread could actually be put back on track and produce some legitimate answers, let me try to explain it this way:

Even though all the drama-mongers want it to be so, this is NOT the question:
"Models, if you have nudes displayed, why don't you say yes to everyone who wants to shoot nudes with you?"

The actual question I am hoping people will discuss is:
"Models, if you shoot nudes with some photographers and the evidence in right there your portfolio and/or your credited photos, why don't you just admit it?  Do you really think you're fooling anyone so they'll believe you don't do nudes and therefore not ask?  Because that makes NO sense at all to me.  Do you think that blatantly lying in the face of evidence doesn't influence peoples' perceptions of you in a negative way and drive away legitimate offers?  Because it seems to me that's a very likely result from such behavior."

Why do you equate checking a box with admitting something? Especially when a model has nudes in the portfolio (which would be a stronger admission of doing nudes at certain times under some conditions). Why are the explanations such as: not wanting to come up in a search, not wanting to give an unqualified yes, selectivity, or just sloppiness not sufficient or better explanations. You're addressing the issue of checking a box on an online profile that is used for searches and then rejecting the idea that people could have many different interpretations of, the meaning of, or the use of, a single checked box description and function.

For example: Let's say a model has nudes in the portfolio but does not expect to shoot nudes with most people. Then, on balance it would be dishonest more of the time for the yes to nudes box to be checked. How about implied? Topless? Used to do nudes? On hiatus? This is not a question with a simple yes or no answer, or a simple accurate one such as age, weight, height, etc.

No matter which way the box is checked it is not going to be fully accurate or account for all situations.  The box does not read, "Have you ever appeared in a nude photograph?". It's purpose is to aid in connecting willing photographers with willing models and it should be answered according to if the model wishes to be found for the work of that type by the people who use the function in that way, nothing more.

Apr 20 13 11:11 am  Link  Quote 
first123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers