login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Would they really be that crazy? Search   Reply
Photographer
John Photography
Posts: 12,710
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483560_470346159714287_982039843_n.jpg
Apr 19 13 10:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 33,235
Los Angeles, California, US


That's just 10% of America trying to mock the other 90%
Apr 19 13 10:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TRPn Pics
Posts: 10,431
Andrews, North Carolina, US


By George, I think you're on to something.

In Curly speak, "That's the ticket"
Apr 19 13 10:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,544
San Diego, California, US


AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483560_470346159714287_982039843_n.jpg

Are you that gullible?

And after 10,000+ posts don't you know what you should post in Soapbox and what you should post in Off-Topic?

Apr 19 13 10:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tropic Light
Posts: 7,288
Kailua, Hawaii, US


Anyone with a welding rig and some steel stock can make a bomb casing.
Apr 19 13 11:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Photography
Posts: 12,710
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Instinct Images wrote:

Are you that gullible?

And after 10,000+ posts don't you know what you should post in Soapbox and what you should post in Off-Topic?

Your sarcasm filter is wronkled

Apr 20 13 06:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Bots
Posts: 5,816
Kingston, Ontario, Canada


http://www.lucianne.com/images/lucianne/DailyPhoto/2013-04-20-JGKVM.jpg
Apr 20 13 12:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,544
San Diego, California, US


AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:

Your sarcasm filter is wronkled

Your comprehension of SB posting rules is wronkled.

Apr 20 13 01:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Photography
Posts: 12,710
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Oh come on sense of humour people
Apr 20 13 08:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cultured Pearls Photo
Posts: 1,928
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Good Question....
based on previous actions I do NOT think it is out of the question...
http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/9 … ities-6zgv

http://www.indecisionforever.com/blog/2 … ed-in-2012

We like to do things that make it look like we are doing "something"....instead of doing something...
Apr 20 13 10:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sublime LightWorks
Posts: 6,061
Atlanta, Georgia, US


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
That's just 10% of America trying to mock the other 90%

Which percentage are you in???  Remember, we have your posting record to use to verify.

Apr 21 13 02:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Longwatcher
Posts: 3,662
Newport News, Virginia, US


Knowing the current makeup of congress, it would probably be far easier to ban  all pressure cookers and require unique serial numbers on all nails so the purchaser can be identified from the sales record then it would be to actually get firearm background checks passed.
Apr 21 13 04:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cultured Pearls Photo
Posts: 1,928
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Longwatcher wrote:
Knowing the current makeup of congress, it would probably be far easier to ban  all pressure cookers and require unique serial numbers on all nails so the purchaser can be identified from the sales record then it would be to actually get firearm background checks passed.

Maybe if ONE of the proposals even attempted to address HIIPA regs and the limiting effect it has on a backgrounds, you might be able to sell it better.?

Apr 21 13 08:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Bots
Posts: 5,816
Kingston, Ontario, Canada


Williams-Sonoma Pulls Pressure Cookers Off Shelves in Massachusetts
http://dedham.patch.com/articles/willia … s-4f18ea7b

(read the comments)


Williams-Sonoma Pulls Pressure Cookers Off Shelves 'Out of Respect'
http://cnsnews.com/blog/gregory-gwyn-wi … ut-respect
Apr 24 13 05:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Edwards
Posts: 17,981
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


heehee
Apr 24 13 07:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 33,235
Los Angeles, California, US


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
That's just 10% of America trying to mock the other 90%

Over 90 percent of Americans support gun background checks: poll
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/ … LW20130207

I'm in the 90% if anyone is wondering. Not that anyone asked.

Apr 24 13 08:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
255 West
Posts: 6,468
New York, New York, US


AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

No, not crazy, just fucked up.

This is an (albeit clever) dumb-ass remark by the pro-gun lobby to ridicule the gun control crowd.

The common counter to the call to gun control is "Cars kill more people than guns, do you want us to ban cars TOO?"

(By the way, the "ban cars" argument is a basic logical fallacy -- The Apples and Oranges Fallacy (aka False Analogy Fallacy) ... but they persist in making the same lame comparison even though it gets refuted every god damned time they make it!

Apr 24 13 08:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 33,235
Los Angeles, California, US


255 West wrote:
The common counter to the call to gun control is "Cars kill more people than guns, do you want us to ban cars TOO?"

Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

They won't be so quick to try that line again.

smile

Apr 24 13 08:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
255 West
Posts: 6,468
New York, New York, US


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

They won't be so quick to try that line again.

smile

They usually give a zombie-like blank stare, and repeat the "but cars kill more people that guns, ...."
They don't actually think up this nonsense themselves, they're generally not all that smart. (Note the grammar (or spelling) error in the last line. roll

Apr 24 13 10:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ArtisticPhotography
Posts: 7,699
Buffalo, New York, US


Someone said, "You can have my Grandmother's pressure cooker when you pry it out of her cold, dead hands".
Apr 25 13 07:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Bots
Posts: 5,816
Kingston, Ontario, Canada


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:
Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

They won't be so quick to try that line again.

smile

Cars don't have a specific overriding constitutional protection.

wording, history and Supreme Court interpretations
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Am … nstitution

Apr 25 13 10:46 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JessieLeigh
Posts: 2,027
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

Then you just say, "Guns kill fewer people than cars, but we license and register cars."

And they respond with "And look how well licensing and registering them works, they STILL kill more people than guns do. It seems licensing and registering cars does not help prevent death by car as much as some people would like to pretend... so why do they think doing the same with guns will be any different?"

smile

Apr 25 13 10:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 33,235
Los Angeles, California, US


JessieLeigh wrote:
And they respond with "And look how well licensing and registering them works, they STILL kill more people than guns do. It seems licensing and registering cars does not help prevent death by car as much as some people would like to pretend... so why do they think doing the same with guns will be any different?"

smile

And yet Obama hasn't swooped in and confiscated everyone's cars.

/sillyconservativeargument

Apr 25 13 11:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NothingIsRealButTheGirl
Posts: 33,235
Los Angeles, California, US


Michael Bots wrote:

Cars don't have a specific overriding constitutional protection.

Do pressure cookers?

Apr 25 13 11:21 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,424
Baltimore, Maryland, US


NothingIsRealButTheGirl wrote:

And yet Obama hasn't swooped in and confiscated everyone's cars.

/sillyconservativeargument

Remember 'cash for clunkers'?

Apr 25 13 12:34 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,424
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Tropic Light wrote:
Anyone with a welding rig and some steel stock can make a bomb casing.

Good point. We should totally ban welders.

Apr 25 13 12:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Austin
Posts: 11,016
Austin, Texas, US


Moderator Note!
Moving to OT
Apr 25 13 02:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 54,145
Buena Park, California, US


AdelaideJohn1967 wrote:
Would the government go that crazy to ban a certain type of cooking utensil?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/483560_470346159714287_982039843_n.jpg

A child's right to live is greater than your right to have nails and pressure cookers.

Apr 25 13 03:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gary Brackin Photoworks
Posts: 220
Austin, Texas, US


And ..oh my goodness! You bought TWO boxes of nails. What on earth would you possibly do with so many nails? And they are the long kind that can go through TWO pieces of wood! And that pressure cooker; why my GOD, you could possibly cook two chickens at once ..and yet, you can't possibly eat that in one sitting.

What could the crooks have cooked up for us? I dunno. But I smell rats in the kitchen.
Apr 25 13 09:49 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply