login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What is your Favorite Song and Why ? Search   Reply
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 26,902
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


You can only pick one ( which will make this super challenging for some )

My Pick

What You Won't Do for Love ( written by Bobby Caldwell ) and performed here by Go West

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpCqRTG7ckg


To me the song evokes memories of the West Coast Soul Sound of the 70s which I so loved ( I am a huge TOP fan ) even though Caldwell was an East Coast Cat
Apr 30 13 11:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tropic Light
Posts: 7,228
Kailua, Hawaii, US


Get Back by the Beatles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wgzA1dbzA

With all the teen runaways during that era, the Beatles (along with Billy Preston's keyboard solo) were doing a public service by encouraging the kids to go home, in addition to making some totally awesome music, and pissing off the London police at the same time.  Priceless.

It's hard to pick a favorite, but that would be mine.
May 01 13 02:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Snuff Elles
Posts: 593
ADGER, Alabama, US


It's near impossible for me to decide, my favourite changes with my mood.
I will have to go with The Eagles - Desperado. It reminds me of someone I knew who passed away when we were younger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SWiFOZb4c
May 01 13 03:04 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Stephen Dawson
Posts: 29,246
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I would hazard a guess that my favourite song. Imagine by John Lennon, is the most frequent choice of favourite song by people in the English speaking world.

Why? It is spiritual. It speaks of a goal worth wanting. It has a nice tune. I was given the Imagine album for Christmas when it first came out. I admire John and what he stood for.

Here is Playing For Change performing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY_vcjOWSnU
May 01 13 05:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,209
Orlando, Florida, US


At the moment, it's Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke.

I mean, have you SEEN the video?! Holy shit, it almost melted my monitor!

http://vimeo.com/63173106

You're welcome.
May 01 13 06:00 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Justin
Posts: 21,682
Fort Collins, Colorado, US


What is your Favorite Song and Why ?
I'm differentiating "song" from "piece of music."

Favorite Song: "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd.

Why: It's evocative to certain things in my life experience, it translates its mood through lyrics and music poignantly, and the finishing guitar solo is masterful in projecting and capping off the emotional content.
May 01 13 07:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Elle
Posts: 16,457
Marshfield, Wisconsin, US


When I See You Smile by Bad English
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6pclWsxzs

When I was growing up, my dad told me this song helped him through working 2 jobs and raising my brother and I on his own. He said seeing us smile made everything worth it...and I think of the song often when I'm going through tough times raising my own children
May 01 13 07:39 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Kozmina
Posts: 6,533
Colorado Springs, Colorado, US


Justin wrote:
What is your Favorite Song and Why ?
I'm differentiating "song" from "piece of music."

Favorite Song: "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd.

Why: It's evocative to certain things in my life experience, it translates its mood through lyrics and music poignantly, and the finishing guitar solo is masterful in projecting and capping off the emotional content.

I knew there was a reason I really liked you! borat

May 01 13 07:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Kozmina
Posts: 6,533
Colorado Springs, Colorado, US


Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers.

I love,I mean absolutely LOVE the sunshine,so for a song to say the sunshine is gone when their lover leaves,is just so emotional for me.

Love this version-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWJQeuOO-VA
May 01 13 07:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ken Sanville Photo
Posts: 246
Louisville, Colorado, US


"Heart Like A Wheel" by Kate and Anna McGarrigel. So deep, dark,dreary. Sums up life in so many ways.
May 01 13 08:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photoimager
Posts: 4,825
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


Garry k wrote:
.......... performed here by Go West ......
To me the song evokes memories of the West Coast Soul Sound of the 70s which I so loved ( I am a huge TOP fan ) even though Caldwell was an East Coast Cat

And the duo came from England smile.

May 01 13 11:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photoimager
Posts: 4,825
Stoke-on-Trent, England, United Kingdom


My mood, how busy I am and, quite often, the time of year will determine what my favourite is at any one time. I cannot therefore give just one favourite.
May 01 13 11:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


Knockin on Heavens Door

Why?

1960's - Bob Dylan did the folk version
1970's - Eric Clapton did the classic rock version
1980's - Bob Marley did the reggae version
1990's - Guns n Roses did the heavy metal version
2000's - Bryan Ferry did the pop rock version

What other song has charted so many times over so many different musical genres by so many talented award winning artists over so many decades?
May 01 13 11:52 am  Link  Quote 
Clothing Designer
Chain Reaction
Posts: 529
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Megalomania by Black Sabbath

When I hear it I think it was written about me.
May 01 13 01:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Boreal Photography
Posts: 292
Duluth, Minnesota, US


Crowded House-- Don't Dream It's Over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20
May 01 13 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 20,987
Portland, Oregon, US


I got one, but I won't name it.  I'll give you hints, and you are welcome to guess (it should be easy) but I will neither confirm or deny your guesses.

The story:  Dad was a song writer; he wrote hundreds of songs in the late 50s & early 60s, and he pretty much was one of the most successful songwriters in the era before the Beatles.  About 20 years ago, my sister & I bought his publishing catalog -- that's how I became a music publisher.

99% of the time, he had a song writing partner -- the partner would write the melody & Dad would write the lyrics.  But a handful of times, he took a pre-existing instrumental, added lyrics, and created a new song; he did quite well these few times, creating some very popular (at the time) songs.

One day, when I was 8 or 10, he explained this to me, and he played a calypso sounding simple little tune and told me the name of the song.  I asked myself, how hard is it to come up with lyrics?  So, I went to my room & emerged 10 minutes later with lyrics that frankly sounded like a child wrote them.  I guess he thought it was cute; he took it into the office and had one of the top acts record the song. 

The song started a dance craze.  You've probably danced to it, on a beach, while bending over backwards under a bamboo bar.  It became a #1 hit, and because of its uniqueness, it is still popular enough to generate thousands of dollars in royalties annually.  Its success is still totally surprising.

I'm a one-hit wonder!

So, that's my favorite, because it reminds me of my childhood, back when I thought writing songs was easy.
May 01 13 03:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
marce fay
Posts: 855
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada


Looknsee Photography wrote:
I got one, but I won't name it.  I'll give you hints, and you are welcome to guess (it should be easy) but I will neither confirm or deny your guesses.

The story:  Dad was a song writer; he wrote hundreds of songs in the late 50s & early 60s, and he pretty much was one of the most successful songwriters in the era before the Beatles.  About 20 years ago, my sister & I bought his publishing catalog -- that's how I became a music publisher.

99% of the time, he had a song writing partner -- the partner would write the melody & Dad would write the lyrics.  But a handful of times, he took a pre-existing instrumental, added lyrics, and created a new song; he did quite well these few times, creating some very popular (at the time) songs.

One day, when I was 8 or 10, he explained this to me, and he played a calypso sounding simple little tune and told me the name of the song.  I asked myself, how hard is it to come up with lyrics?  So, I went to my room & emerged 10 minutes later with lyrics that frankly sounded like a child wrote them.  I guess he thought it was cute; he took it into the office and had one of the top acts record the song. 

The song started a dance craze.  You've probably danced to it, on a beach, while bending over backwards under a bamboo bar.  It became a #1 hit, and because of its uniqueness, it is still popular enough to generate thousands of dollars in royalties annually.  Its success is still totally surprising.

I'm a one-hit wonder!

So, that's my favorite, because it reminds me of my childhood, back when I thought writing songs was easy.

--Limbo Rock---

May 01 13 07:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
marce fay
Posts: 855
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada


It can reach the thousands of so many fantastic sounding music. I can't really go with one, but here's one I really like. No video, but there is one if you really want to look. This song/tune is quite long.

King Crimson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWT2dKw4fk
May 01 13 08:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vintagevista
Posts: 10,699
Sun City, California, US


"Ariel" by October Project

Why?  Mary Fahl's voice - OMG
May 01 13 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
tonyfromsyracuse
Posts: 374
Syracuse, New York, US


my dad the weather fan by scottish folkrock group the pearlfishers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHNLXQy5DAc

the main songwriter david scott is an undiscovered genuis.
its my favorite song because the chacter in the tune reminds me of my dad
May 01 13 09:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Bunny Bombshell
Posts: 11,752
Huntington, West Virginia, US


"Plainsong" by The Cure. The first time I heard it, I literally went into a trance. Very few pieces of music have moved me as much as that song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZoYzne9Tpg
May 01 13 09:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 26,902
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Kozmina wrote:
Ain't No Sunshine by Bill Withers.

I love,I mean absolutely LOVE the sunshine,so for a song to say the sunshine is gone when their lover leaves,is just so emotional for me.

Love this version-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWJQeuOO-VA

Great Song

Next to the original - my favorite version is by "The Texas Cannonball "Freddie King

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16AnGcB7MHA

saw him give a similar performance opening for Santana in the 70s

May 01 13 10:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JJ Last
Posts: 134
Huntington Beach, California, US


right now...this is my favorite song...

http://youtu.be/cTKgC1XSwgY

why?  cause it's sexy.  smile
May 01 13 10:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image Works Photography
Posts: 2,890
Orlando, Florida, US


Journey - Open Arms

My feel good love song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lLmYLw0WRI
May 01 13 10:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KelliOnLineGlamourNude
Posts: 2,900
Barrie, Ontario, Canada


Only God Knows Why - Kidd Rock.

Because.
May 02 13 01:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,701
Saco, Maine, US


"Into the Mystic", by Van Morrison.

Listen to it, and you'll know why. smile
May 02 13 03:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 26,902
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Good Egg Productions wrote:
At the moment, it's Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke.

I mean, have you SEEN the video?! Holy shit, it almost melted my monitor!

http://vimeo.com/63173106

You're welcome.

Having just watched the video ...Yes it is fascinating

smile

May 02 13 04:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
-fpc-
Posts: 578
Port Chester, New York, US


at this exact minute

Heard it in a Love Song

           Marshall Tucker Band

for many reasons
May 04 13 01:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Lela Jesse
Posts: 1,148
Arcata, California, US


I always come back to this one.
I have others favorites of course, but I feel like this song is absolute perfection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KhgtwsE … A2C23F57A8
May 04 13 03:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris Rifkin
Posts: 24,456
Tampa, Florida, US


Since 2004 this song has been the sountrack for my soul,the hurt and pain yet the strange beauty that sometimes pain can emote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_YXTPFRez8
The song that started my obsession about Riverside
May 04 13 11:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
amb300
Posts: 218
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, US


May 07 13 06:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Jules NYC
Posts: 15,900
New York, New York, US


Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Love the instrumental
Love the lyrics
So beautiful
Makes me feel inspired
May 07 13 06:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Clothing Designer
GRMACK
Posts: 1,739
Bakersfield, California, US


For upbeat maybe this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJEllVt3alc

Got Craig Ferguson and his horse dancing to them too, and the audience got into them as well.  First time I've seen a tap-dancing drummer standing and dancing on the bass drum to the beat.  Drummer actually looks like a llama too.

For a purist, maybe Brandi Carlile if you want pure voice and haunting messages: http://vimeo.com/43915834

I skip around a lot of genres.
May 07 13 07:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 26,902
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


GRMACK wrote:
For upbeat maybe this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJEllVt3alc

Got Craig Ferguson and his horse dancing to them too, and the audience got into them as well.  First time I've seen a tap-dancing drummer standing and dancing on the bass drum to the beat.  Drummer actually looks like a model too.

For a purist, maybe Brandi Carlile if you want pure voice and haunting messages: http://vimeo.com/43915834

I skip around a lot of genres.

hmmm , something tells me that neither of these songs is actually your top favorite

May 08 13 07:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Eliza C
Posts: 7,884
Monmouth, Wales, United Kingdom


I could pick any one of about six Sisters of Mercy songs but I think I will go for this one:

The Temple of Love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPfce9FvjgA

I respond to music that I find both haunting and with potent resonance, and the power to move me to dance.  Therefore I have chosen this one because I think Ofra Haza's voice adds a really emotive dimension to it and it takes me to another plane when dancing. Ofra died from HIV sadly but her music united Israelis and Arabs and I think the collaboration with the Sisters on this makes it a good nomination also for innovation.
May 08 13 07:38 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers