login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Can I be plus sized...can I be a model? Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
C Her Makeup
Posts: 9
New York, New York, US


I'm a makeup artist, I'm comfortable behind the camera. I've never been in front of it- professionally.

In the last month 5 people have told me I should consider getting into Plus sized modeling, I took it as a joke but have started looking into it...

I'm not sure I actually meet the criteria but seeing as 2 of the people urging me to get into are plus sized models themselves... idk

I live in NYC

I'm 5'7 and a size 8... I think I'm pretty tiny for a plus sized model...

help?
May 01 13 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 17,976
Orlando, Florida, US


Maybe if you were taller most plus size models are usually 5'10
May 01 13 12:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marc Damon
Posts: 6,562
Biloxi, Mississippi, US


C Her Makeup wrote:
I'm a makeup artist, I'm comfortable behind the camera. I've never been in front of it- professionally.

In the last month 5 people have told me I should consider getting into Plus sized modeling, I took it as a joke but have started looking into it...

I'm not sure I actually meet the criteria but seeing as 2 of the people urging me to get into are plus sized models themselves... idk

I live in NYC

I'm 5'7 and a size 8... I think I'm pretty tiny for a plus sized model...

help?

http://www.newmodels.com/modelintro.html
Read the Height and Body Type section. Then read the entire site if you're interested in learning more about the industry.

May 01 13 12:47 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


you're a bit on the short side, and a bit on the small side, but those measurements are not entirely uncommon either.

just give it a go, see what comes of it. If there's something there, great! if not, that's not the end of the world right smile?

just try it
May 01 13 01:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
robert b mitchell
Posts: 1,242
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


What have to got to lose? At least you tried!smile
May 01 13 01:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
C Her Makeup
Posts: 9
New York, New York, US


Is it possible for me to be a petite plus size model? Haha
May 01 13 01:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 36,019
Columbus, Ohio, US


C Her Makeup wrote:
Is it possible for me to be a petite plus size model? Haha

On MM, anything is possible. smile

May 01 13 01:56 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


C Her Makeup wrote:
Is it possible for me to be a petite plus size model? Haha

on MM? hell yeah :p

not so much in the agencyworld, but don't let that stop you from having fun!

May 01 13 02:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KRISTEN MARIE
Posts: 484
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Cherrystone wrote:
On MM, anything is possible. smile

+1

Anyone can model dear. This site speaks for itself.

I'm short as hell!
I'm only 5'3 and I model all of the time.. I've gotten loads of offers even off MM.
Meeting size criteria's are a sack of BS.
Do what you want to do, if you set your mind to it, you'll get there wink

XO,
Kristen Marie

May 04 13 11:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Nathine
Posts: 144
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


A little confused.
Plus size models are size 14 above. Dillards Size 14, Macys size 12
JC Pennys Size 14.

Size 8 is still considered small

Le Chateau
most chart sizes run 0 - 5 xs
6 - 8 S
9 - 12 M
14 - 16 L
18 - XL

Wt does play a factor but the twiggy look is no longer popular.

Nathine
May 05 13 08:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJScalzitti
Posts: 12,249
Atlanta, Georgia, US


KRISTEN MARIE wrote:
+1

Anyone can model dear. This site speaks for itself.

I'm short as hell!
I'm only 5'3 and I model all of the time.. I've gotten loads of offers even off MM.
Meeting size criteria's are a sack of BS.
Do what you want to do, if you set your mind to it, you'll get there wink

XO,
Kristen Marie

A sack of BS, so you can magically fit the samples my stylist pulls?  I am fairly positive you have no idea how the real modeling industry works.

May 05 13 08:19 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Nathine
Posts: 144
Scottsdale, Arizona, US


AJScalzitti wrote:
A sack of BS, so you can magically fit the samples my stylist pulls?  I am fairly positive you have no idea how the real modeling industry works.

I agree.  Depending on the samples you have to fit. There is no way I can get into a 2, nor for that fact do I want to. I can do a 4 to 6, depending on the cut, so at least the stylist (wardrobist) knows where to start. Major alterations are impossible, minor ones ok, such as shortening a hemline.

On runways the clothes have to fit reasonably with minimal pinning. In and out within 1 - 2 minutes.

However I am still not sure we are talking about +size models here.

If we are talking about petite models, then that's different. Most store lines do have an entire petite section now, and in a magazine, with a "green screen" background, height is not an issue.

Nathine

May 05 13 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Nathine wrote:
A little confused.
Plus size models are size 14 above. Dillards Size 14, Macys size 12
JC Pennys Size 14.

Size 8 is still considered small

Le Chateau
most chart sizes run 0 - 5 xs
6 - 8 S
9 - 12 M
14 - 16 L
18 - XL

Wt does play a factor but the twiggy look is no longer popular.

Nathine

plus size modeling has nothing to do with what size shops carry in the plus size department.

in theory, plus size is size 6 and up, most agencies will start at a large 8/small 10 and go up to a large 16.

May 06 13 07:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Bettie-B
Posts: 95
London, England, United Kingdom


C Her Makeup wrote:
I'm a makeup artist, I'm comfortable behind the camera. I've never been in front of it- professionally.

In the last month 5 people have told me I should consider getting into Plus sized modeling, I took it as a joke but have started looking into it...

I'm not sure I actually meet the criteria but seeing as 2 of the people urging me to get into are plus sized models themselves... idk

I live in NYC

I'm 5'7 and a size 8... I think I'm pretty tiny for a plus sized model...

help?

If you want to try it out, I say got for it! I've noticed a lot of models who consider themselves plus size, tend to go into pin-up and glamour( It's probably more demanding to have curvier models) and might be a good stepping stone. But you can try out whatever you want smile

May 06 13 08:05 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RSM-images
Posts: 4,224
Jacksonville, Florida, US


.

In the US fashion industry, plus-size models are *always* trim and proportional and tend to be 5' 9" to 5' 11":

     size 10-12 LA market and

     size 12-14 NYC market.

.
May 06 13 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhotosByNC
Posts: 13
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


If you think it's something you'd enjoy pursuing, I'd say give it a test run. Get some headshots and photos taken and shop them around to agencies and on MM. Worst that happens is you don't get any "work" but you'll still have good photos you can use for your MUA website (to show what you look like, in a bio) or for other reasons.

Never hurts to have good photos of yourself!
May 06 13 09:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVP Photography
Posts: 2,849
Broomfield, Colorado, US


Nathine wrote:
A little confused.
Plus size models are size 14 above. Dillards Size 14, Macys size 12
JC Pennys Size 14.

Size 8 is still considered small

Le Chateau
most chart sizes run 0 - 5 xs
6 - 8 S
9 - 12 M
14 - 16 L
18 - XL

Wt does play a factor but the twiggy look is no longer popular.

Nathine

You are confused.  "Plus size" in modeling is not Plus size as you see the term used in the stores.  For NYC, 10-12.  Can be 12-14 in LA and smaller markets.  And as an added point  forget the term "curvy" that often gets used along with Plus size by MM models.  Plus size models that I have seen have good figures, not "curves".

May 06 13 10:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
M Pandolfo Photography
Posts: 12,113
Tampa, Florida, US


KRISTEN MARIE wrote:

+1

Anyone can model dear. This site speaks for itself.

I'm short as hell!
I'm only 5'3 and I model all of the time.. I've gotten loads of offers even off MM.
Meeting size criteria's are a sack of BS.
Do what you want to do, if you set your mind to it, you'll get there wink

XO,
Kristen Marie

When the photographer is the client, height often doesn't matter, because the only requirement is that the photographer like your look. So, in that respect, yes, anyone can model. But to say that "meeting size criteria is BS" is only announcing that that's the only type of modeling you're familiar.

I can assure you, there is modeling beyond the "photographer as client" dynamic, and that the need to meet certain criteria is not BS.

May 06 13 10:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
KRISTEN MARIE
Posts: 484
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Jeez, everyone doesn't need to jump down my throat over my own opinion.

I personally think "having to be super skinny'' or meet a size criteria to model is stupid, sorry..

I've seen models that are way underweight, and it's not even good looking.
A model should have a bit of meat on her, it looks more appealing.
Just saying.

I think the lvl of talent a model has no matter what size, is what should be important.

If noone likes that, then so be it. It's my opinion.

I am talking to the girl who posted this forum, and If she wants to model, she should!

& your right, I'm not a super experienced model, I've only been doing it for a few years. I'm not the skinniest girl in the world, I have meat on my bones.

And every photographer/mua/stylist has LOVED me. I have talent and my attitude when modeling speaks for itself.

Thats what should matter in modeling.

I'm done here.
May 07 13 12:51 am  Link  Quote 
Model
RebeccaW
Posts: 231
Jacksonville, Florida, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:

plus size modeling has nothing to do with what size shops carry in the plus size department.

in theory, plus size is size 6 and up, most agencies will start at a large 8/small 10 and go up to a large 16.

THIS. +1

May 07 13 12:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Kristah-plus model
Posts: 2
BOISE, Idaho, US


I'm 5'5" and quite a large lady and I find work on here. smile I feel that if you don't fit the exact standards of this large industry that it gives you a bit of an edge, a unique factor, if you will. In the large fashion world, plus size is size 6-10 (which is pretty crappy in my opinion), but don't let it stop you from doing what you love.
May 11 13 09:17 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Kristah-plus model wrote:
I'm 5'5" and quite a large lady and I find work on here. smile I feel that if you don't fit the exact standards of this large industry that it gives you a bit of an edge, a unique factor, if you will. In the large fashion world, plus size is size 6-10 (which is pretty crappy in my opinion), but don't let it stop you from doing what you love.

lol, what? please name 5 succesfully working plus size models that have a size 6-10 (and crystal renn doesn't count, she's booked because she's famous now, regardless of size)

May 12 13 03:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
K I C K H A M
Posts: 14,495
Los Angeles, California, US


Kristah-plus model wrote:
I'm 5'5" and quite a large lady and I find work on here. smile I feel that if you don't fit the exact standards of this large industry that it gives you a bit of an edge, a unique factor, if you will. In the large fashion world, plus size is size 6-10 (which is pretty crappy in my opinion), but don't let it stop you from doing what you love.

In the US, it tends to be size 12-14 that book the most work as plus models.

May 12 13 04:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Sabine Luise
Posts: 890
Boston, Massachusetts, US


KRISTEN MARIE wrote:
Jeez, everyone doesn't need to jump down my throat over my own opinion.

Just ignore it. I should take my own advice.

You said MM not the "industry" as a whole. Most of us understood what you were saying. You are right when you say MM is a vast place with work in many genres for many sizes. And hey if you ever work or worked with someone who works in the industry you will be surprised of what they have to say about it versus on what is said on here.

Oh the happenings of a Plus Model thread never fails. Still Anna wrote an article on the topic and we are still here. Can we pin it to the top please? Lol

May 12 13 06:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJScalzitti
Posts: 12,249
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Nathine wrote:
I agree.  Depending on the samples you have to fit. There is no way I can get into a 2, nor for that fact do I want to. I can do a 4 to 6, depending on the cut, so at least the stylist (wardrobist) knows where to start. Major alterations are impossible, minor ones ok, such as shortening a hemline.

On runways the clothes have to fit reasonably with minimal pinning. In and out within 1 - 2 minutes.

However I am still not sure we are talking about +size models here.

If we are talking about petite models, then that's different. Most store lines do have an entire petite section now, and in a magazine, with a "green screen" background, height is not an issue.

Nathine

Its not as cut and dry on plus size, designers have made a standard for years regarding straight size but plus it a little messy.  I really wish they would standardized it a litte better, there are two "standards" for the most part in the US; and they is stretching it a bit.

I don't envy stylist, I have enough issue finding plus size models wink

P.S. I noticed you mixed in catalog in there.  Yes its a different world but even the petite models we hired were 5'7' ish

May 12 13 06:39 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers