login info join!
Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Expanding Selections?? Search   Reply
Photographer
Mad Hatter Imagery
Posts: 1,292
Buffalo, New York, US


I was wondering if there is a particular way to tightly select a person in a photograph so that I may cut and paste them into a different layer, but also after selecting them very close between what is apart of them, and what is the background, is there a tool that basically enlarges the selected area a little, but maintains the same shape of the person? Basically creates a frame in the exact shape of the person?

Also maybe a tool that as you increase the size of any selection in the image, it gradually morphes from the shape of the selection into the shape of the photo itself (basically a shaped selection to a rectangular selection)?
May 03 13 10:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Krunoslav Stifter
Posts: 3,850
Santa Cruz, California, US


Yes it's called refine edge. After you select and the selection is active, as long as you have a selection tool active in the tools bar at the top you will see refine edge button. Use "shift Edge"

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1474/83302687.jpg


Option #2. Is to go to menu and do it old school. Go to select menu > Modify > Expand...
May 03 13 10:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
I was wondering if there is a particular way to tightly select a person in a photograph so that I may cut and paste them into a different layer, but also after selecting them very close between what is apart of them, and what is the background, is there a tool that basically enlarges the selected area a little, but maintains the same shape of the person? Basically creates a frame in the exact shape of the person?

As Kruno said, refine edge is the way to go. But rather than cut the subject out and paste it on another layer, I would use a layer mask. That'll give you more flexibility.

When you cut a subject out, any bits left behind can't be recovered. With a mask, all the original image data remains behind the mask. By refining the edge of the mask (rather than the original, active selection), you can recover desirable parts of the original.

In the Masks panel, click the Mask Edge button. That'll give you a Refine Mask dialog box that is exactly like Refine Edge.

May 04 13 05:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mad Hatter Imagery
Posts: 1,292
Buffalo, New York, US


Should I assume this is Photoshop, or available in most graphic programs?
May 04 13 10:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Krunoslav Stifter
Posts: 3,850
Santa Cruz, California, US


Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
Should I assume this is Photoshop, or available in most graphic programs?

Yes, it's Photoshop.

May 04 13 10:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mad Hatter Imagery
Posts: 1,292
Buffalo, New York, US


Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

Yes, it's Photoshop.

Any directions for non-photoshop softwares? I try not to feed that beast of corporate greed. lol.

May 05 13 07:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Krunoslav Stifter
Posts: 3,850
Santa Cruz, California, US


Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:

Any directions for non-photoshop softwares?
I try not to feed that beast of corporate greed. lol.

Try GIMP http://www.gimp.org/  ...it's free.

May 05 13 07:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mad Hatter Imagery
Posts: 1,292
Buffalo, New York, US


Krunoslav-Stifter wrote:

Try GIMP http://www.gimp.org/  ...it's free.

Would GIMP have that selection option? I have Paintshop Pro by the way.

May 06 13 05:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Krunoslav Stifter
Posts: 3,850
Santa Cruz, California, US


Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:

Would GIMP have that selection option? I have Paintshop Pro by the way.

I would imagine, both of them do.

May 06 13 05:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cerity Images
Posts: 19
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom


I use CS5. When I select a subject it is usually because I want to change the hue and also the luminosity of the background - which is usually a plain cloth background. I get 2 kinds of problem when doing this, especially if I adjust BG luminosity.

After masking the subject I am not happy with the original light wrapping that remains on the subject's edges. That is the light that was previously wrapped onto the subject itself from the original hue and tone of background. Is there some way of brushing over the subject edges afterwards to adjust for the new color and tone of background?  I seem to remember some sort of magic brush to which you could set two colors and play with blend modes.

I tend to shoot with mid grey background thinking that it is best for post adjustments of hue and luminosity. Is this correct?

Hair is the other problem. When the subject has hair loops and lose transparent parts through which the background is showing. If I trim the flyaways off it looks too unreal, and getting the see thru background parts adjusted is a real botch-up.
May 13 13 11:20 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Cerity Images wrote:
Is there some way of brushing over the subject edges afterwards to adjust for the new color and tone of background?  I seem to remember some sort of magic brush to which you could set two colors and play with blend modes.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=891278

May 14 13 05:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cerity Images
Posts: 19
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom


Thanks for link to previous thread. I tried both the brush and clone stamp methods. Works great with accurate masks but difficult to fix the transition edge when luminosity of background changes. For example changing a dark BG to lighter BG  leaves a dark edge on the subject even after bleed color correction.

How about the second issue? Hair with hole showing background.
May 15 13 02:39 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Joann Empson
Posts: 430
Walnut Creek, California, US


Mad Hatter Imagery wrote:
Would GIMP have that selection option? I have Paintshop Pro by the way.

In the GNU Image Manipulation Program, you'll find the option in the Menu under Selection.

http://i.imgur.com/yE8m413.png

May 15 13 03:09 am  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Cerity Images wrote:
How about the second issue? Hair with hole showing background.

It depends on the image and on what sort of change you want to make to the background.

May 15 13 04:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cerity Images
Posts: 19
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom


Peano wrote:

It depends on the image and on what sort of change you want to make to the background.

.... if BG changes were as mentioned previously?  i.e  Color changing to its complement 180 degrees on the color wheel, Luminosity changing from darker than hair to lighter  than hair.  There has to be significant changes to BG in order to discover the basic techniques.

May 15 13 02:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Retoucher
Peano
Posts: 4,106
Lynchburg, Virginia, US


Peano wrote:
It depends on the image and on what sort of change you want to make to the background.
Cerity Images wrote:
.... if BG changes were as mentioned previously?  i.e  Color changing to its complement 180 degrees on the color wheel, Luminosity changing from darker than hair to lighter  than hair.  There has to be significant changes to BG in order to discover the basic techniques.

Let me put it this way: It depends my seeing the image ... which, in turn, requires that you show the image. It's not a word problem. It's a visual problem.

May 15 13 02:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gulag
Posts: 1,233
Duluth, Georgia, US


Peano wrote:
Let me put it this way: It depends my seeing the image ... which, in turn, requires that you show the image. It's not a word problem. It's a visual problem.

+1000

May 15 13 03:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cerity Images
Posts: 19
High Wycombe, England, United Kingdom


I did not have an image under question, but I'll try and put one representative of the discussion.
May 16 13 11:42 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers