login info join!
Forums > Critique > I'm opening a new gallery, but need exhibitis... Search   Reply
123last
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


(Pretend, of course)

I've decided to open a new gallery and I'm looking to showcase the work of both models and photographers on this site.  I'm a very selective curator though, so show me your "A" game.

If I LOVE your portfolio, I'll dedicate a wing to showing your work all year round so the masses will know your name. 

If I LIKE your portfolio, I'll schedule you for a month long exhibit and invite my wealthiest friends in the business, to see if they can help fund more projects for you and help you refine the talent you already show. 

If I'm IFFY about your work, I'll keep your portfolio in my office and keep you in mind, then hopefully schedule you later down the road after you bring me some new stuff.

If I DISLIKE your work, I'll kindly send you a rejection letter in the mail...when I get around to it (I'm REAAAAALLLYYYY busy though, so don't hold your breath). 

If I simply DESPISE your work, because it lacks any artistic merit or shows extremely poor skill at either modeling or photography, then I'll ban you from even entering my gallery after my security guards have rubber stamped a large letter "L" on your forehead with black ink.  I'll also probably punch your dog, cat, favorite family member, or yourself in the throat for wasting my time...but I haven't completely committed to that idea just yet. 

These critiques will be honestly brutal, so put your big girl panties on and only submit if you're really want to hear what I think.  Also, if you don't like what I have to say, then don't email me whining about it.  You're not likely to gain any further sympathy from me and I'll likely block you from ever contacting me again. 

Consider me the Gordon Ramsay of curators.  No wimps allowed.
May 20 13 07:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MelissaAnn
Posts: 3,845
Seattle, Washington, US


I'll trade with you if you come to Seattle!

Oh, wait...I suppose that's off topic. big_smile

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
put your big girl panties

....but I hate wearing panties.

May 20 13 08:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


MelissaAnn  wrote:
I'll trade with you if you come to Seattle!

Oh, wait...I suppose that's off topic. big_smile


....but I hate wearing panties.

I will make that happen this summer, or early fall.  You're one of my favorite models here, so I wouldn't pass up that opportunity.

As far as this thread goes, you should know very well by now I love your work.  I would have no problem dedicating a wing just for images of you.  (Hmmm...apparently there's a fine line between admiration and obsession.  wink )

May 20 13 08:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Paige Morgan
Posts: 4,058
New York, New York, US


Some new stuff since last you saw it.....fire away.
May 20 13 08:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Joseph William
Posts: 1,979
Chicago, Illinois, US


Any thing interest you?
May 20 13 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DAN CRUIKSHANK
Posts: 1,786
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Do I make the cut?
May 20 13 08:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
MelissaAnn
Posts: 3,845
Seattle, Washington, US


Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

I will make that happen this summer, or early fall.

Fantastic, I'm going to hold you to that. wink

May 20 13 08:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


Paige Morgan wrote:
Some new stuff since last you saw it.....fire away.

I'm still "Iffy" with you, Paige.  You have some great potential.  I can see it in you, but you're not shooting with the right people to REALLY bring out what you're capable of and showing just how great you can look. 

I don't remember seeing this one before...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121121/09/50ad15e6af47d_m.jpg

but I can honestly say it's a huge turn off.  The overall concept is silly and the post work is horrible.  It does nothing to help you. 

This one, on the other hand...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121211/14/50c7b59717f29_m.jpg

is what I'm talking about it.  It's not a perfect shot, but it is far more interesting and shot better than most of your other work.  I'd love to see all the shots from the shoot, so I could see if this was really the best from the bunch. 

I also like the way you look here...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121004/16/506e1efd62f59_m.jpg

It's a simple portrait, but it shows you have a certain depth and that there's more to you than the character these photographers tend to want you to play.

May 20 13 09:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


Joseph William  wrote:
Any thing interest you?

It's Iffy, Joseph, but it strongly leans more toward Dislike. 

You have some fair to good control of lighting; you know how to pick out great locations; and you work with some beautiful models.  However, you don't seem to know how to blend all of that to create a good, memorable image.  Instead, you create these "pretty" pictures with models in lame poses and styling that doesn't fit the setting.  On top of that, your models look stiff and posed, as if you're following some formula in a book. 

For example, this is a f@$%ing AMAZING location...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/100605/20/4c0b13e668493.jpg

Instead of shooting something deep or creative though; you place a cute model in a prom dress by the window looking out blankly.  What a waste of a great opportunity.  Some goes for the one of the model in the cream colored outfit standing next to the rusty machinery. 

What really kills my liking for your work though, are the horrible photo manipulations like these...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130520/15/519aa4c1bd211_m.jpg

The models look way too big for the setting and the editing just doesn't cut it.  They look fine as small thumbnails, but when you look at them up close, they look pretty lame. 

Fine tune what you're good at and let your creativity flow. 

Actually, now that I look at all of this in depth, I'm changing my rating to "Dislike".  Work on it though, because you have the tools to create some really good stuff.  You just have to break out of that tiny little box you're in and stop playing it safe.

May 20 13 09:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,887
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Not sure why I'm asking...I'm actually afraid of the answer
May 20 13 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


DAN CRUIKSHANK wrote:
Do I make the cut?

You're Iffy, Dan.  You also have some outstanding outdoor locations to shoot at, and some great models, but you do the same thing Joseph does and pose them stiffly.  The models are just sort of...there.  They're not flowing with the environment they're in, they're just standing there waiting for you to take a picture.  All of your shots have this great potential, but they just miss the mark. 

This is probably your best image...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30591006 (18+)

but even then, it doesn't hold my attention like it could. 

Then you have something like this...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130129/18/510887e371222_m.jpg

where the model looks bored. 

As Obi Wan said to Luke; "Let go."  Stop trying to make a picture and instead capture a moment.  Let the models move freely and look for the beauty in their lines and curves, THEN snap the image.

May 20 13 09:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DAN CRUIKSHANK
Posts: 1,786
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

You're Iffy, Dan.  You also have some outstanding outdoor locations to shoot at, and some great models, but you do the same thing Joseph does and pose them stiffly.  The models are just sort of...there.  They're not flowing with the environment they're in, they're just standing there waiting for you to take a picture.  All of your shots have this great potential, but they just miss the mark. 

This is probably your best image...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/30591006 (18+)

but even then, it doesn't hold my attention like it could. 

Then you have something like this...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130129/18/510887e371222_m.jpg

where the model looks bored. 

As Obi Wan said to Luke; "Let go."  Stop trying to make a picture and instead capture a moment.  Let the models move freely and look for the beauty in their lines and curves, THEN snap the image.

Roger that! I'll work on it next shoot smile
Thanks for taking a look!

May 20 13 09:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
J-PhotoArt
Posts: 358
San Francisco, California, US


So.....
May 20 13 09:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


Danielle Reid wrote:
Not sure why I'm asking...I'm actually afraid of the answer

Well, Danielle, I can easily say I Dislike your work, but can't say I Despise it; because a lot the problems with your stuff has to do with the photographers you're shooting with. 

I can see you're trying and probably have a genuine desire to create something artistic, but instead you settle for cheesy glam and ghetto fabulous.  The red hair is just to juvenile and trendy, bordering on obnoxious.  I would love to see what you could do with a GOOD, classy hairstyle and some professional makeup done. 

Even then though, I'm afraid you'd lean more toward the glamor side of modeling and not the art side.  If you found the right photographer though, you could probably come up with something very nice...maybe. 

This isn't the kind of work I, or most galleries would show.  You're better than what you're shooting right now though, so put the energy into improving and find better photographers to shoot with.

May 20 13 09:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


J-PhotoArt wrote:
So.....

So, soooooo disappointing. 

You shot with Nymph (Gwendolyn)...NYMPH!!...and that's the best you can come up with??  She's an amazing model, but you missed out on a great opportunity to create some good images by not letting her do her thing.  I mean, it's pretty obvious you gave all the direction in that shoot, just based on her stiff expression and body language. 

The rest of your stuff is just typical, cliche' glam with very basic lighting setups. 

This one is my least favorite of the bunch...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32535891 (18+)

The pose, the styling, the lighting...it's all just so lame.  It's an eyesore in an already weak portfolio. 

This is about the only shot I liked...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/29100543 (18+)

but that's only because the model looks more relaxed.  The diagonal lines of the hillsides behind her are distracting though. 

I'm gonna' have to go with Dislike for you.  You're work is fine for the internet, but it won't cut it for a gallery.

May 20 13 09:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 3,887
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

Well, Danielle, I can easily say I Dislike your work, but can't say I Despise it; because a lot the problems with your stuff has to do with the photographers you're shooting with. 

I can see you're trying and probably have a genuine desire to create something artistic, but instead you settle for cheesy glam and ghetto fabulous.  The red hair is just to juvenile and trendy, bordering on obnoxious.  I would love to see what you could do with a GOOD, classy hairstyle and some professional makeup done. 

Even then though, I'm afraid you'd lean more toward the glamor side of modeling and not the art side.  If you found the right photographer though, you could probably come up with something very nice...maybe. 

This isn't the kind of work I, or most galleries would show.  You're better than what you're shooting right now though, so put the energy into improving and find better photographers to shoot with.

Yeah I'm sticking with the red ghetto fab hair and glam work.

thanks for your opinion

May 20 13 09:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MCB Imagery
Posts: 95
Portland, Oregon, US


Deal me in . . . I'd be interested in your take.
May 20 13 09:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Greg Karl Photography
Posts: 14
Bellevue, Washington, US


I'll bite.
May 20 13 10:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


MCB Imagery wrote:
Deal me in . . . I'd be interested in your take.

Right now I'm gonna' say "Dislike", but you do have a lean toward "Iffy". 

Your portfolio starts off fair, but fizzles toward the bottom.  It's too much of the same stuff, with nothing super dynamic or interesting.  Everything is safe, clean and posed.  Basically, it's vanilla. 

In part, it's because your images overall just have a bland tone to them.  Add poor styling like this...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130409/15/5164936471274.jpg

and the images quickly become forgettable. 

It seems you're trying to be hip and lean more toward fashion, but at the end of the day you just make cute pictures that will only stand out on the model's facebook page. 

Keep working at it though and fine tune both your lighting and post work, while also letting your models loosen up and add some energy to their poses.

May 20 13 10:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


Dark Metal Studios wrote:
I'll bite.

And the bland played on...

You're another one who likes to pose and direct his models to the point where you just end up with these boring and often corny looking photos. 

These two...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/121202/17/50bbfb1d05c47_m.jpg

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130216/16/5120224662c50_m.jpg

are just god awful.   They're tacky and poorly styled, but they're also cheesy and unflattering to your model. 

I have a heavy dislike for this portfolio.  You say in your profile you lean toward pin up, but I get no sense of Pin up here.  Instead what I see is cliche' glam in cheap costumes and gaudy makeup. 

Work on it.

May 20 13 10:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MCB Imagery
Posts: 95
Portland, Oregon, US


Well alrighty then.  Thanks for playing.  wink
May 20 13 10:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
corey
Posts: 2
Los Angeles, California, US


I'd rather be ripped a new one than go on thinking I'm the bee's knees.  I'm interested in a critique please.
May 20 13 10:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


albert corey wrote:
I'd rather be ripped a new one than go on thinking I'm the bee's knees.  I'm interested in a critique please.

You're kinda' all over the place, but I like some of your stuff so I'll put you in the "Iffy" category. 

I like your free flowing creativity, which is somewhat reminiscent of Terry Richardson's work, but you muddle your portfolio with other stuff that's just crap. 

For example, I don't know what you were thinking here...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130503/21/5184906b48485_m.jpg

The shot is WAAAAYYYY too over-processed and doesn't look like it was a good shot to begin with. 

Same goes for this one..

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130503/21/518491545f271_m.jpg

These two...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130517/12/51968837bda0c_m.jpg

also look like simple snapshots, where the camera was set on auto.  The lighting is as bland as the model's pose and expression. 

Then you have these images...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32663762 (18+)

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32648458

which have a cool vibe to them and interesting perspectives.

I think these were close to that as well...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32663798 (18+)

but fall just shy of being REALLY interesting.  (Love that brunette model, by the way)

This is my favorite though...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130503/22/51849b0d1414d.jpg

because of the dark tones that go with the model's expression. 

There's an artist in you, but it looks like he needs more opportunity to get out and shoot freely.  Don't settle for cliche' or images that are "good enough".  I'd rather see only  a handful of good, creative stuff than a full page of mixed styles and crap.

May 20 13 10:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
corey
Posts: 2
Los Angeles, California, US


Thank You!  And yes, I really need to get out and shoot more.  That's why I joined MM.  I will look up Terry Richardson.  Thanks again!

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

You're kinda' all over the place, but I like some of your stuff so I'll put you in the "Iffy" category. 

I like your free flowing creativity, which is somewhat reminiscent of Terry Richardson's work, but you muddle your portfolio with other stuff that's just crap. 

For example, I don't know what you were thinking here...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130503/21/5184906b48485_m.jpg

The shot is WAAAAYYYY too over-processed and doesn't look like it was a good shot to begin with. 

Same goes for this one..

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130503/21/518491545f271_m.jpg

These two...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130517/12/51968837bda0c_m.jpg

also look like simple snapshots, where the camera was set on auto.  The lighting is as bland as the model's pose and expression. 

Then you have these images...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32663762 (18+)

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32648458

which have a cool vibe to them and interesting perspectives.

I think these were close to that as well...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32663798 (18+)

but fall just shy of being REALLY interesting.  (Love that brunette model, by the way)

This is my favorite though...

http://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/130503/22/51849b0d1414d.jpg

because of the dark tones that go with the model's expression. 

There's an artist in you, but it looks like he needs more opportunity to get out and shoot freely.  Don't settle for cliche' or images that are "good enough".  I'd rather see only  a handful of good, creative stuff than a full page of mixed styles and crap.

May 20 13 11:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
gpmcguire
Posts: 1,169
Brooklyn, New York, US


Hi smile
May 20 13 11:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


gpmcguire wrote:
Hi smile

You're definitely Iffy, Glenn. 

You have some good control of your lighting and nice toning on your images, but that's where it tends to end.  The "Girl in a Box" theme has been done to death and is really pretty boring.  Your nude portraits don't really have a lot of life in them either.  They're not bad, but they're not great. 

This is my favorite shot in your portfolio...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/8501324 (18+)

because the pose is dynamic and the model seems very at ease.  I wonder if it's upside down though.

This is also a nice shot...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/31011334 (18+)

I'd like to see you do more of that and less of all the other stuff.  Refine your work and you'll be able to easily move into the "Like" category.

May 20 13 11:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Alien LiFe
Posts: 816
San Francisco, California, US


I'll submit my portfolio ... smile
May 21 13 12:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eros Fine Art Photo
Posts: 2,562
Torrance, California, US


Alien LiFe wrote:
I'll submit my portfolio ... smile

I've been a fan of your black & white work since I first joined this site.  You're truly one of the inspirational photographers here, so you easily fall into the "Like" category.  There's something very deep and beautiful about the way you view your subjects. 

I can't really say I'm a fan of your new color images though.  They're still beautifully shot, but I feel as if there's more focus on the post work than on the creation of the image itself.  It also seems like the blur in the background isn't natural, or has been enhanced in post. 

This image, for example...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32468114 (18+)

just doesn't have the same ethereal mood I get from your earlier work.  It has a sort of 3D effect to it, which reminds me of green screen / super imposed images.  Very well done, of course, but I don't get a sense of "You" in it.

I LOVE your b&w's though, so I'm sure I could easily be swayed in that direction after seeing some newer stuff.

May 21 13 12:19 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Alien LiFe
Posts: 816
San Francisco, California, US


Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

I've been a fan of your black & white work since I first joined this site.  You're truly one of the inspirational photographers here, so you easily fall into the "Like" category.  There's something very deep and beautiful about the way you view your subjects. 

I can't really say I'm a fan of your new color images though.  They're still beautifully shot, but I feel as if there's more focus on the post work than on the creation of the image itself.  It also seems like the blur in the background isn't natural, or has been enhanced in post. 

This image, for example...

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/32468114 (18+)

just doesn't have the same ethereal mood I get from your earlier work.  It has a sort of 3D effect to it, which reminds me of green screen / super imposed images.  Very well done, of course, but I don't get a sense of "You" in it.

I LOVE your b&w's though, so I'm sure I could easily be swayed in that direction after seeing some newer stuff.

Thank you for your 'not holding back' words of wisdom, Ed ... I really appreciate it & honored coming from an artist as yourself ...

Those color work are exercises ... in order to grow & mature. We'll see where they lead me into ... smile

Again, thank you so much ...

~alf

May 21 13 12:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Duncan Cheng
Posts: 42
Alhambra, California, US


Oh dear god what have i done. I'm scared..
May 21 13 12:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BareLight
Posts: 508
Kansas City, Kansas, US


Let the chips fall where they may, please.
May 21 13 12:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Barely StL
Posts: 759
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Deal me in.
May 21 13 01:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Maria Panina
Posts: 139
New York, New York, US


I'm in, if you are still going.
May 21 13 06:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 6,848
New York, New York, US


I am pretty sure my work isn't worthy of any gallery but I would like your insight anyway...  big_smile
May 21 13 06:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Anthony Photo
Posts: 199
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, US


I am always looking for critique...Cant seem to get it when I start my own thread...

Shoot me
May 21 13 06:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Francisco Castro
Posts: 1,662
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Sure. Why not? I haven't had my stuff graded in a while. Maybe I've improved since the last reaming I got.
May 21 13 07:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Denmark - Urbex Models
Posts: 10
Taastrup, Hovedstaden, Denmark


If you like Urban Exploration Nude art made by amatuer I have some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaeREQJBT-U
May 21 13 08:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Anthony Photo
Posts: 199
Pottstown, Pennsylvania, US


Rebellic Photography wrote:
If you like Urban Exploration Nude art made by amatuer I have some:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaeREQJBT-U

Don't hijack the thread please.  If you want your port evaluated just say so.

May 21 13 08:17 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Joseph William
Posts: 1,979
Chicago, Illinois, US


Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:
Actually, now that I look at all of this in depth, I'm changing my rating to "Dislike".  Work on it though, because you have the tools to create some really good stuff.  You just have to break out of that tiny little box you're in and stop playing it safe.

Pretty much what I expected.  Just to clarify they are not pasted into the water, I actually woke up crazy early and shot these on the beach at or near sunrise.  If it looks like they were pasted in, I could have saved myself some trouble....  Not that I expect that to change your opinion

May 21 13 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Denmark - Urbex Models
Posts: 10
Taastrup, Hovedstaden, Denmark


Mark Anthony Photo wrote:

Don't hijack the thread please.  If you want your port evaluated just say so.

But this is my port.

May 21 13 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers