login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup Work in Vancouver Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
Ashley Burke Makeup
Posts: 32
Burlington, Ontario, Canada


I currently reside in Hamilton Ontario but I'm looking to move to Vancouver BC and I was wondering if anyone could let me know what employment is like their for a makeup artist and if there are a lot of opportunities.

Thanks!
May 31 13 10:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Garry k
Posts: 27,098
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Ashley Burke Makeup  wrote:
I currently reside in Hamilton Ontario but I'm looking to move to Vancouver BC and I was wondering if anyone could let me know what employment is like their for a makeup artist and if there are a lot of opportunities.

Thanks!

I would say that its pretty competitive here

there are several schools turning out a lot of well trained and skilled  graduates every year ( Blanche Macdonald , John Casablancas , Vancouver Film School and other smaller schools )

seems to me that the fortunate few get jobs at the various dept store counters and build from there

May 31 13 11:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Lindsey Sharon
Posts: 306
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada


Let me put it this way; out if my class of 20 students, graduated 2 years ago,, I freelanced full time, 2 girls work at counters and a couple do it (very) part time.  I believe the class of thirty that was next to us has 4 people still in the industry.  Almost every waitress I met there was a makeup artist. Almost everyone I met was!  I have since moved to Edmonton and I'm actually finding it easier to find work here!

It's very hard to make money there because there is always a student willing to do it for free and unfortunately, people don't realize free does not equal quality. I lucked out and got in with a good crowd for payed jobs but I know of several girls who still have trouble getting more then 40 bucks for a day on set. It's a highly competitive city. Make sure you have other skills to assist you, whether its hair, nails or esthetics. And get in assisting!  That was my biggest help.

Best of luck if you do choose to move there!  You have a lovely portfolio.
May 31 13 11:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Davis W
Posts: 1,272
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Now is NOT the time to enter the makeup industry. Effectively, its over. Makeup is a part time job.

Read this;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/fashi … html?_r=1&


Take a long, sober look at things. Time to put down one's copy of "The Secret" and pick up a copy of the economist.

As for your relocation, you will do better in Hamilton. Of course, that means you have to live in...Hamilton sad. But, the upside is, there are ALOT less artists there and you are more likely to succeed.
Jun 04 13 04:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
MA YE
Posts: 39
New York, New York, US


Davis W wrote:
Now is NOT the time to enter the makeup industry. Effectively, its over. Makeup is a part time job.

Read this;

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/fashi … html?_r=1&


Take a long, sober look at things. Time to put down one's copy of "The Secret" and pick up a copy of the economist.

As for your relocation, you will do better in Hamilton. Of course, that means you have to live in...Hamilton sad. But, the upside is, there are ALOT less artists there and you are more likely to succeed.

Wow, thank you so much for your honesty. I've been freelancing for 5 years, am pretty darn good at what I do, but just can't seem to get lucky. I finally started to pursue other things, because I know that it's not a matter of working hard and being patient anymore. Thankfully, i figured it out. I do think it's exceptionally cruel of the artists who say 'come take my seminar for $250 and I'll tell you all my secrets on how to 'make it'' and then you show up and they tell you its cause they can rock it at a smokey eye, which is total bs, as we all know. I applaud your honesty. P.S. have been subscribed to the economist for about three months hehe.

Jun 05 13 05:00 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,472
Paris, Île-de-France, France


When I left Vancouver there was a good market for both wedding and film. Now I can imagine video is bigger than film. Getting into the unions though is extremely difficult.

For lifestyle Vancouver is an incredible place. Twenty two years later after leaving for Paris, I still miss it.

I'm back in Toronto now, and I'm finding the supply and demand situation for MUAs is balanced. If the choice was Toronto Montreal or Vancouver , I'd say Toronto for work but easily Vancouver for living.

No matter what you do, do it with a passion, like you're living it to the fullest. Always try to do something new, it's the only time you learn. Weddings are less about doing something new in MU yet it's new on a personal level each and every time, so in the end you are learning.

Good luck with it.
Jun 05 13 05:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Davis W
Posts: 1,272
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


MA YE wrote:
Wow, thank you so much for your honesty. I've been freelancing for 5 years, am pretty darn good at what I do, but just can't seem to get lucky. I finally started to pursue other things, because I know that it's not a matter of working hard and being patient anymore. Thankfully, i figured it out. I do think it's exceptionally cruel of the artists who say 'come take my seminar for $250 and I'll tell you all my secrets on how to 'make it'' and then you show up and they tell you its cause they can rock it at a smokey eye, which is total bs, as we all know. I applaud your honesty. P.S. have been subscribed to the economist for about three months hehe.

Thanks Ma Ye. I do agree that the attitude of "if you are not successful, its your own fault" particularly arrogant and insensitive.

Jun 06 13 03:14 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply