login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Where did soapbox go? Search   Reply
12last
Model
Caperucita Roja
Posts: 11,541
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


I haven't been here for a while... sorry if there've been a million threads about this already! smile
Jun 15 13 06:10 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


MM kicked us out so we're on FB in a private group and the fun continues without the Nanny State.
Jun 15 13 06:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Jun 15 13 06:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Caperucita Roja
Posts: 11,541
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


T wrote:
MM kicked us out so we're on FB in a private group and the fun continues without the Nanny State.

Oh! Well thank you for letting me know smile

May I ask why, or if they gave a reason? Did it put them at legal risk?

Jun 15 13 06:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
3068875
Posts: 944
Los Angeles, California, US


Sounds ominous!
Jun 15 13 06:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:

Oh! Well thank you for letting me know smile

May I ask why, or if they gave a reason? Did it put them at legal risk?

I honestly don't know. I was in the brig at the time and I logged on last week to retrieve messages but I haven't been on so I didn't keep up with the :WTF happened to SB" threads.

It's worked out for the best in my opinion. No brig, no holds barred and we're all still alive.

Jun 15 13 06:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


The freedom of calling an asshole...asshole, is priceless.
Jun 15 13 06:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
PhotographybyT
Posts: 7,601
Monterey, California, US


T wrote:

I was in the brig at the time...

LOL...this gave me a chuckle. tongue

Jun 15 13 06:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


PhotographybyT wrote:

LOL...this gave me a chuckle. tongue

LOL! Got damn justice system sucks

Jun 15 13 06:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Caperucita Roja
Posts: 11,541
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


Hhhmm!

"Due to the divisive nature of the topics in the Soapbox forum, Model Mayhem has chosen to close the forum and prohibit such topics. Continuing discussion of politics, religion, race, or other controversial topics in other forums may result in locked threads, hidden posts, and/or removal of forum privileges.
Ultimate discretion in determining acceptable topics resides with the moderators and administrators."

http://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=20

Well that solves that mystery then I guess hmm it's a shame our freedom of expression has been crushed a bit, but oh well. MM still serves its purpose.
Jun 15 13 06:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:
Hhhmm!

"Due to the divisive nature of the topics in the Soapbox forum, Model Mayhem has chosen to close the forum and prohibit such topics. Continuing discussion of politics, religion, race, or other controversial topics in other forums may result in locked threads, hidden posts, and/or removal of forum privileges.
Ultimate discretion in determining acceptable topics resides with the moderators and administrators."

http://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=20

Well that solves that mystery then I guess hmm it's a shame our freedom of expression has been crushed a bit, but oh well. MM still serves its purpose.

I'm not mad....I like it on FB. The SB was the only reason I logged on here regularly. I still have friends here but the majority can reach me on FB.

Jun 15 13 06:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
T
Posts: 53,557
Washington, District of Columbia, US


At least folks can still talk about farting and vaginal odor. See, it's freedom on MM lol
Jun 15 13 06:26 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Giacomo Cirrincioni
Posts: 20,913
New York, New York, US


T wrote:

LOL! Got damn justice system sucks

No justice, no peace T...

big_smile

Jun 15 13 07:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,143
Phoenix, Arizona, US


The mayhem is dead.
Jun 15 13 08:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Taboo Nudes
Posts: 26,750
Lancaster, California, US


What's it going to take to convince the powers that be re-open Soap Box?  It was the largest forum and much more interesting and we really got to have some good conversations.  If people didn't want or like the topics and discourse in SB they weren't forced to participate in that forum..it's just like the TV..if you don't like the channel use the power of your remote and change the channel.
Jun 19 13 01:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,452
Laguna Beach, California, US


yeah, except it's mm's tv.

it's over, johnny. it ain't coming back. the fb sb is just too much. there's a lot of insulting and vitriol going on over there, no real discourse. i gave it a try (not a fan of fb to begin with), but i can't participate. it's pretty feral. smile

i think mm is getting what they want now.
Jun 19 13 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Compass Rose Studios
Posts: 15,963
Portland, Oregon, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:
Well that solves that mystery then I guess hmm it's a shame our freedom of expression has been crushed a bit, but oh well. MM still serves its purpose.

What could artists and creatives possibly have to say about world events?  How could that be an important aspect of the creative experience?

Jun 19 13 04:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,465
San Diego, California, US


I find it interesting that many of the same people that were regularly brigged due to their SB postings are still being brigged. I guess it shouldn't surprise me.
Jun 19 13 05:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,452
Laguna Beach, California, US


Instinct Images wrote:
I find it interesting that many of the same people that were regularly brigged due to their SB postings are still being brigged. I guess it shouldn't surprise me.

i may be wrong, but it appears that the sb regulars who are still in the big house were sent there before sb met its demise.

Jun 19 13 11:20 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


I liked soapbox, I posted there sometimes, I liked the discussions going on sometimes.

But I also think that when you're a model network site, and there are people on it who visit regularly, daily, who hardly ever shoot, and all they ever do is have the same discussion over and over again, fighting, trolling, then you're really past the purpose of what this site is about.
Jun 20 13 12:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,465
San Diego, California, US


GK photo wrote:

i may be wrong, but it appears that the sb regulars who are still in the big house were sent there before sb met its demise.

Some but not all. Seems some are up to their same tricks.

Jun 20 13 01:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of Sicari
Posts: 36,877
Toledo, Ohio, US


Taboo Nudes wrote:
What's it going to take to convince the powers that be re-open Soap Box?  It was the largest forum and much more interesting and we really got to have some good conversations.  If people didn't want or like the topics and discourse in SB they weren't forced to participate in that forum..it's just like the TV..if you don't like the channel use the power of your remote and change the channel.

To hell with that.


BRING BACK THE PIT!

Jun 20 13 04:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of Sicari
Posts: 36,877
Toledo, Ohio, US


T wrote:
At least folks can still talk about farting and vaginal odor. See, it's freedom on MM lol

We take our farting seriously around here.

Jun 20 13 04:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


What happened?

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

smile

You are now free to enjoy a website for model and photography networking, versus seriously off-topic warfare.
Jun 20 13 05:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,857
Albany, New York, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:
Oh! Well thank you for letting me know smile

May I ask why, or if they gave a reason? Did it put them at legal risk?

Admin claimed it was giving them to many headaches trying to regulate it.

Which is ironic because it was designed originally to be the Wild West of the forums (with little to no regulations) & only changed when they sought to rein it in. When they realized how much of a Frankenstein Monster it became, it was easier (for them) to get rid of it altogether than let it be.

Jun 20 13 05:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,857
Albany, New York, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
But I also think that when you're a model network site, and there are people on it who visit regularly, daily, who hardly ever shoot, and all they ever do is have the same discussion over and over again, fighting, trolling, then you're really past the purpose of what this site is about.

& that's different from the rest of the forums, how exactly?

Jun 20 13 05:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sublime LightWorks
Posts: 6,057
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Since the SB was eliminated and I chose not to join the Facebook version, I now have more time to edit photos I've promised to edit, and much more time to play World of Tanks.

smile
Jun 20 13 06:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Le..... fookin'...... sigh.

Not all this crappola again.

Be gone - back to 'the facebook' where you belong.

There you can argue about farting and vaginal odour until you have your fill.
Jun 20 13 06:25 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Farenell Photography wrote:

& that's different from the rest of the forums, how exactly?

because the rest of the forums (except for offtopic and SF2, but a site like this does need a place to talk about small random things and a place where the crazy cool kids can go hang out :p) are all model-related, or industry-related, or related to the purpose of this website. soapbox was really nothing more than a place where people went to argue, and had nothing to do with modeling or photography or anything even slightly modelmayhem-related.

Jun 20 13 06:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Drew Smith Photography
Posts: 5,209
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom


Farenell Photography wrote:

Admin claimed it was giving them to many headaches trying to regulate it.

Which is ironic because it was designed originally to be the Wild West of the forums (with little to no regulations) & only changed when they sought to rein it in. When they realized how much of a Frankenstein Monster it became, it was easier (for them) to get rid of it altogether than let it be.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3pmdaPJgg1qgksvxo1_500.gif

Jun 20 13 06:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KonstantKarma
Posts: 2,513
Hickory, North Carolina, US


Drew Smith Photography wrote:
Be gone - back to 'the facebook' where you belong.

There you can argue about farting and vaginal odour until you have your fill.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr0xi1oI271qdcri5o1_500.gif

Begone!

Begone!

Jun 20 13 06:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Edwards
Posts: 17,717
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


Farenell Photography wrote:

Admin claimed it was giving them to many headaches trying to regulate it.

Which is ironic because it was designed originally to be the Wild West of the forums (with little to no regulations) & only changed when they sought to rein it in. When they realized how much of a Frankenstein Monster it became, it was easier (for them) to get rid of it altogether than let it be.

In a nutshell, yes.

Jun 20 13 06:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,857
Albany, New York, US


Anna Adrielle wrote:
because the rest of the forums (except for offtopic and SF2, but a site like this does need a place to talk about small random things and a place where the crazy cool kids can go hang out :p) are all model-related, or industry-related, or related to the purpose of this website. soapbox was really nothing more than a place where people went to argue, and had nothing to do with modeling or photography or anything even slightly modelmayhem-related.

I agree with you but its also contradictory.

If Soapbox was removed using the justification that it was not industry related, then does it not stand to reason that both "Off-Topic" & especially "SF2" should be removed as well?

On the one hand, MM touts itself as being an industry networking site. On the other hand, the specifically market it where people get to hang out & shoot the shit about whatever they want.

Jun 20 13 07:00 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Anna Adrielle
Posts: 18,762
Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium


Farenell Photography wrote:
I agree with you but its also contradictory.

If Soapbox was removed using the justification that it was not industry related, then does it not stand to reason that both "Off-Topic" & especially "SF2" should be removed as well?

On the one hand, MM touts itself as being an industry networking site. On the other hand, the specifically market it where people get to hang out & shoot the shit about whatever they want.

it didn't happen out of the blue. soapbox was a complete mess, apparantly there were warnings given that if they didn't stop being completely out of control, there would be consequences. and that's what happened smile.

(edit, the warning part is hearsay, I haven't experienced it myself, but I hadn't been  on soapbox for a while when it closed down)

Jun 20 13 01:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cherrystone
Posts: 36,019
Columbus, Ohio, US


Moment of silence please. Now....I wonder how many more of these threads are gonna pop up over time?
big_smile
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Sunset_2007-1.jpg/800px-Sunset_2007-1.jpg
Jun 20 13 01:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 26,842
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Cherrystone wrote:
Moment of silence please. Now....I wonder how many more of these threads are gonna pop up over time?
big_smile
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/58/Sunset_2007-1.jpg/800px-Sunset_2007-1.jpg

lol

Jun 20 13 01:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
rfordphotos
Posts: 4,614
Antioch, California, US


I only posted a handful of times in SB, I read it sporadically, when I had extra time.

To be honest, I dont understand the folks in this thread who are so glad to see it gone...

If it bothered you, if you didnt enjoy the give and take in the forum, if you thought it was a bunch of trolls---why did you even open the forum? Was someone holding a gun to your head, forcing you to read it? Why do you care about what went on in a forum you didnt participate in?

Do you somehow lack control over your computer- does it take you to forums you dont like and force you to participate?

You couldnt just be satisfied that some folks liked to play there, and leave it alone?

I think the site is in a semi-serious decline, Alexa shows traffic for the entire site has declined steadily for more than two years, I dont understand the logic of driving more traffic off the site to FB or anywhere else. The place lives and dies on the "clicks" it gets on the ads, it has to have traffic to survive.

Oh, and I dont think I am a "troublemaker" or a "malcontent"--- I have been here since 2005, I have never been brigged, I have never been warned... (Maybe I should have been, maybe I was close, but....)

Whatever.
Jun 20 13 01:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lumatic
Posts: 13,591
Chicago, Illinois, US


Compass Rose Studios wrote:

What could artists and creatives possibly have to say about world events?  How could that be an important aspect of the creative experience?

Well, I don't know about most of what occurred in Soapbox, but there is most definitely a direct correlation between world events and just about every art movement ever!

Jun 20 13 06:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ZingArts
Posts: 15,077
Westcliffe, Colorado, US


Caperucita Roja wrote:
Hhhmm!

"Due to the divisive nature of the topics in the Soapbox forum, Model Mayhem has chosen to close the forum and prohibit such topics. Continuing discussion of politics, religion, race, or other controversial topics in other forums may result in locked threads, hidden posts, and/or removal of forum privileges.
Ultimate discretion in determining acceptable topics resides with the moderators and administrators."

http://www.modelmayhem.com/t.php?forum_id=20

Well that solves that mystery then I guess hmm it's a shame our freedom of expression has been crushed a bit, but oh well. MM still serves its purpose.

I'm back. Where did I go? Away. Away from the ads on MM, and unfortunately away from participating in other forums as well because... well... the fun has been sanitized to the point that it's just bla bla bla.

And NOW I will follow T to FB Hell.

Jun 20 13 08:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Digital Artist
Select Imagery
Posts: 314
Colorado Springs, Colorado, US


Hmmm. 102 and growing. Gotta B in.

Jun 20 13 08:50 pm  Link  Quote 
12last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers