login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > 17 years old body paint photo set? Search   Reply
first12
Photographer
Jeff Remas
Posts: 12
Delray Beach, Florida, US


I am very impressed with 2 things:

1) The maturity of the OP

2) The great discussion that has taken place.

IMHO:
I have 2 daughters, both over 18 at this point.  I think that this is not appropriate at this time and that the availability of models 18 and older for this type of shoot makes this one seem impractical.  Too many questions.  As a dad I would advise my daughter to say no and I would not give permission.  If I knew the photographer and the people, I may feel differently but there is no reason to do this with a minor. 

The mere fact that the photographer is open and honest about the use and getting permission vs just trying to pull this off secretly does give me a little bit of comfort but not enough at this point with all of the unanswered questions.
Jun 18 13 09:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ron Wainscott
Posts: 140
Gulf Shores, Alabama, US


Two things that make me think this is not legitimate:

1) The artist has not been chosen yet.
2) "private commission"

Plus, as others have already stated, there are plenty of over 18 models available for this type of work.
Jun 18 13 10:54 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,521
Belmont, California, US


It would be great to hear your decision and how you came to it.
Jun 18 13 11:56 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
KyleClicks Photography
Posts: 21
Burbank, California, US


If the photographer says he needs you to take some pictures in order to better see your body, something revealing like in pasties and a thong, etc., it's a scam.  A creeper will ask you for more and more revealing pictures to be sent in order to make sure your look will be what they need.  They'll promise you everything under the sun and convince you it all hinges on just doing one more thing, more pictures.  If the requests start going that way, just let him know you're done and move along.



Kyle
Jun 18 13 12:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark Harrington Photo
Posts: 382
Riverside, California, US


What is he going to do with the images, and why is he willing to pay??
There are many models who would gladly do this for free exposure and since this is your first "paid" gig he you may not be the most experienced model for commercial publication.

Of course everyone has to start somewhere, but realize there are many bad actors in this industry. A truly professional photographer wouldn't risk his image and reputation using an underage model out of context. Body painting is something the average 17 year old isn't expected to do...

It is only my personal belief, but at 17 you are too young and impressionable to shoot this type of image. Give yourself a bit more time shooting other, less revealing images until you know for sure this is the industry you want and they are the style images you want to be on the internet forever... Too many cases of young women trying to get images taken down for this to be a good idea.

I highly suggest you decline, let your parents know you really want to try modeling and this is a great opportunity but just doesn't seem like a good fit. They will realize you are mature and can take care of yourself and perhaps they will trust your judgement, when you turn 18, and take a project like this.

I promise, with your looks if you posted an availability notice for your first paying gig you will get some offers for more than just the creepy ones.

Good luck to you!
Jun 18 13 12:53 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Pistol Dreams
Posts: 75
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada


Alisa Meshkova wrote:
Hi MM!

   I was asked by a photographer(he sent me his work and it looks very legit) to do a body paint photoset. I won't have to get painted nude, I can wear a bikini and get painted in it. If I do the shoot, I will get quite some money and it wil be my first payed photoshoot(very exciting for me). I am ok with getting painted in bikini, but, unfortunately, I am still a minor(17) and will have to convince my parents to sign the release somehow. What do you think about this whole thing? Should I try to convince my parents and do the shoot or wait until I am 18? I live in Utah and there isn't a lot of work here so I try to take every opportunity that I can.

Your parents have to make the call but being 17 and a model myself I probably wouldn't do it without knowing the concept fully. If its something like the new Kate Upton's body paint for SI then no but if it's artistic with a clean vision then I don't see a problem.

It probably will be more modest than an actual bikini shoot if done right but it comes down to what you and your parents believe as safe and morally acceptable. Find out who's doing the painting as well as what will be expected from you. I'd almost shoot with the photographer before hand and see what they're like to work out before doing the body painting session.

Best of luck! And keep up the great work your portfolio is wonderful.

Jun 18 13 12:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Body Painter
BodyPainter Rich
Posts: 17,879
Sacramento, California, US


As a bodypaint artist I would say...

1- Private commission raises red flags. Why you in particular, an underage model? There is quite a market for privately traded photos involving girls who look very young... I am generally very wary about these.

2- There are many models who are over 18 willing to do this sort of work. I've not even looked at your photos, but I would have to wonder why they are choosing to pay an inexperienced and underage model when it would be SO MUCH simpler to hire a more experienced model over the age of 18.

3- I would NEED to know the bodypainter involved. Too often I have heard stories of "bodypainters" who were clueless and unsafe hacks and/or photographers saying "the bodypainter cancelled, can I paint you myself?"

Too many red flags, I would be very cautious and without knowing more would advise you to say no.
Jun 18 13 01:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Salater Photography
Posts: 7
Los Angeles, California, US


If you're going to be a model, this should be no problem for you and it wouldn't matter who painted you or who is on the set. Models model their bodies, if a model is shy about modeling her body, he or she should not model. A stand up comedian should not be afraid of public speaking, a cab driver should not be afraid of driving, and models should not be modest about modeling.

When I work with experienced models through an agency this is never an issue.

I just recently did a shoot for bikini thongs in Brazil and the models were all changing on the set, completely naked, modeling thongs and so forth, no shyness at all and ranged in age from teen to adult. Everyone was professional and we got the job done quickly over three days of shooting.  I come back to America and read profiles of models well into adulthood who won't even model swim suits. I find it very strange.
Jun 21 13 08:24 am  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Tiffany_B
Posts: 1,319
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US


Salater Photography wrote:
If you're going to be a model, this should be no problem for you and it wouldn't matter who painted you or who is on the set. Models model their bodies, if a model is shy about modeling her body, he or she should not model. A stand up comedian should not be afraid of public speaking, a cab driver should not be afraid of driving, and models should not be modest about modeling.

When I work with experienced models through an agency this is never an issue.

I just recently did a shoot for bikini thongs in Brazil and the models were all changing on the set, completely naked, modeling thongs and so forth, no shyness at all and ranged in age from teen to adult. Everyone was professional and we got the job done quickly over three days of shooting.  I come back to America and read profiles of models well into adulthood who won't even model swim suits. I find it very strange.

Did you read the thread?

It's not the OP who necessarily has an issue with this, the issue centers around her parents and since she's a minor and in their care, their opinions are the ones that matter. It's irresponsible to simply advise her to disregard that.

Beyond that it's a private commission and the bodypainter/concept are unknown. Despite this being a paid shoot these are things that as an independent model she needs to weigh. Consider that when you're working with an agency model that the agency has often done the due diligence for the models which may be why you have no issues. Models who book their own shoots should be more cautious then models who have shoots for reputable clients booked for them.

Jun 21 13 08:35 am  Link  Quote 
Model
JadeDRed
Posts: 5,375
London, England, United Kingdom


GPS Studio Services wrote:
Those two highlighted things concern me.   The method of application is going to affect your comfort level.  I am more concerned that he wants to tell you after he hires you, rather than before.

It could be what he means is, i'm not willing to discuss the shoot until i know you're parents are on board.

Jun 21 13 08:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 346
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


Alisa Meshkova wrote:

oh yes, they said it's fine if a parent/friend comes along and watches.

I've heard this many times, you will find that they will do all they can to discourage a parent and encourage a friend.  And given the nature of the shoot, a private commission, the whole concept is suspect.

It is common for these photographers to say it is ok to bring a parent along, the idea is that if the photographer says its ok to bring a parent along, then hopefully you and your parents will say, this sounds legit.  Then a parent will say,  Why don't you have Mary go with you.

I'm willing to wager that if you tell him that your mom is coming along, he will say something came up and we need to re-schedule, or if mom comes along he will say that his liability insurance precludes another who is not under contract to be present in the studio.

Again, my original thought, what's the point in body painting a girl in a bikini?  Doesn't that become a bikini painting project?  The idea of the bodypaint is to replace the bikini with paint.

Additional items, I'd want to know who is applying the body paint, what his/her credentials are, examples of his/her work and contact info for models he/she has painted in the past and under what context.

This really smells bad.  Again, I fully understand how flattering this can be, but I can find in a couple of minutes many models who are over 18 who look under 18.

Jun 21 13 08:57 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lynn Elizabeth
Posts: 1,336
Coral Springs, Florida, US


Red Flags! From what the OP said as far as conversation with this photographer goes, I'm out!  I need details and a link to the body painter's work. To not give details until you agree to the shoot seems a little ridiculous. What happens if you agree, get the details, and then realize you would not be comfortable with the shoot?

Everything about this just seems sketchy to me. You are a beautiful girl but it doesn't seem right to ask a 17 year old to do a body paint shoot.
Jun 21 13 08:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 346
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


Salater Photography wrote:
If you're going to be a model, this should be no problem for you and it wouldn't matter who painted you or who is on the set. Models model their bodies, if a model is shy about modeling her body, he or she should not model. A stand up comedian should not be afraid of public speaking, a cab driver should not be afraid of driving, and models should not be modest about modeling.

When I work with experienced models through an agency this is never an issue.

I just recently did a shoot for bikini thongs in Brazil and the models were all changing on the set, completely naked, modeling thongs and so forth, no shyness at all and ranged in age from teen to adult. Everyone was professional and we got the job done quickly over three days of shooting.  I come back to America and read profiles of models well into adulthood who won't even model swim suits. I find it very strange.

I find your comments troubling.  There are many, many highly successful models who would find what you described as unacceptable.  Models have the  perfect right to define for themselves what type of modeling they choose to do and to suggest that because they unwilling to do certain types of modeling makes them less of a model tells us a lot about you.

Jun 21 13 09:02 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 346
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


BodyPainter Rich wrote:
As a bodypaint artist I would say...

1- Private commission raises red flags. Why you in particular, an underage model? There is quite a market for privately traded photos involving girls who look very young... I am generally very wary about these.

2- There are many models who are over 18 willing to do this sort of work. I've not even looked at your photos, but I would have to wonder why they are choosing to pay an inexperienced and underage model when it would be SO MUCH simpler to hire a more experienced model over the age of 18.

3- I would NEED to know the bodypainter involved. Too often I have heard stories of "bodypainters" who were clueless and unsafe hacks and/or photographers saying "the bodypainter cancelled, can I paint you myself?"

Too many red flags, I would be very cautious and without knowing more would advise you to say no.

Nicely said, item 3 is something I hadn't thought of, but makes perfect sense.

Jun 21 13 09:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Half Taco Photography
Posts: 183
Green Bay, Wisconsin, US


I have a 17 year old daughter and I'm a really open minded. I love anything to do with art!

So I would say "HELL NO".

Ten thousand ladies on this site alone why ask a minor?

I guess I'm just old fashioned.
Jun 21 13 09:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 919
Los Angeles, California, US


GPS Studio Services wrote:
Let me ask a few questions:

1.  Who is painting you, the photographer or a body-painting artist?
2.  Is the artist a male or female?
3.  What type of paint, air brush or hand applied with brushes/sponges/etc?
4.  What is the project for?

Since you are wearing a bikini, this will obviously not be risque'.  On the other hand, since it is non-nude, I am wondering why he is asking you, rather than an older model?  I do love your look.

I am on the fence with this.  If you have to "convince" your parents, it is obviously not right for you.  If they are on the bandwagon and support it, then I think it is fine.

I have done a lot of bodypaint over the years.  I have always selected models over 18.

Huh!?! Question #1 makes it seem like the photographer can't be the body-paint artist?
Question #2 Whats the difference on male or female do you know how many aggressive females that hit on other girls are out there and try to seduce girls too? I was out with my girl and walking us back to the car and passing a car with 4 girls in it. Girl sticks out her head and sad "Hot girl if you slip up Im Taken her" We were both insulted by this and pissed off as this was totally disrespectful! If it was a dude I would have lay into him. The girl I was with almost decided to punch her for showing no respect as she was holding my hand as clear as day! I just said no you wont and we moved on. But it made us feel bad and uneasy to have strangers do this to us. I kissed her and made her feel better. big_smile
I do Make-up/Air brushing, photography and Photo-Editing if its a smaller job I do all 3"! Its all being an artist and being creative. I don't do body painting as of yet but being asked like mad to do it by models. Maybe when I have more time or come up with a slick idea. But I don't see what the deal is for a person to do all the art forms if they wish! Heck I have some girl-friends wanting to teach me how to do hair for photo-shoots!
Anyhow It also seems like people think when someone turns 18 something magical happens? Really people don't change the day they turn 18 but what does happen is the Law looks at you different.
Like people said I don't see why someone is offering to pay you in MM for  body-painting heck Im getting asked like mad and I only do the face! Some girls are even coming up with amazing ideas themselves to do a body painting. so why does he need to pay a model? Hmmm... I would just bring your parents to the shoot is all and do the job! Your parents should be their anyhow! I Demand the parents to be their if the person is under 18 for any of my shoots!!!

Jun 21 13 09:30 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art of the nude
Posts: 11,819
Olivet, Michigan, US


Alisa Meshkova wrote:
oh yes, they said it's fine if a parent/friend comes along and watches.
David Nelson Photograph wrote:
I've heard this many times, you will find that they will do all they can to discourage a parent and encourage a friend.  And given the nature of the shoot, a private commission, the whole concept is suspect.

It is common for these photographers to say it is ok to bring a parent along, the idea is that if the photographer says its ok to bring a parent along, then hopefully you and your parents will say, this sounds legit.  Then a parent will say,  Why don't you have Mary go with you.

I'm willing to wager that if you tell him that your mom is coming along, he will say something came up and we need to re-schedule, or if mom comes along he will say that his liability insurance precludes another who is not under contract to be present in the studio.

Again, my original thought, what's the point in body painting a girl in a bikini?  Doesn't that become a bikini painting project?  The idea of the bodypaint is to replace the bikini with paint.

Additional items, I'd want to know who is applying the body paint, what his/her credentials are, examples of his/her work and contact info for models he/she has painted in the past and under what context.

This really smells bad.  Again, I fully understand how flattering this can be, but I can find in a couple of minutes many models who are over 18 who look under 18.

Some of your concerns make sense, but do you seriously think that a liability insurance company is going to prohibit parents on set with their minor child?

Jun 21 13 10:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 752
Corvallis, Oregon, US


Art of the nude wrote:

Alisa Meshkova wrote:
oh yes, they said it's fine if a parent/friend comes along and watches.

Some of your concerns make sense, but do you seriously think that a liability insurance company is going to prohibit parents on set with their minor child?

I don't think he believes that, I think he believes a sketchy photographer may try to blow that smoke up their ass.

Jun 21 13 10:57 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 35,063
San Francisco, California, US


GPS Studio Services wrote:
Let me ask a few questions:

1.  Who is painting you, the photographer or a body-painting artist?
2.  Is the artist a male or female?
3.  What type of paint, air brush or hand applied with brushes/sponges/etc?
4.  What is the project for?

Since you are wearing a bikini, this will obviously not be risque'.  On the other hand, since it is non-nude, I am wondering why he is asking you, rather than an older model?  I do love your look.

I am on the fence with this.  If you have to "convince" your parents, it is obviously not right for you.  If they are on the bandwagon and support it, then I think it is fine.

I have done a lot of bodypaint over the years.  I have always selected models over 18.
Yani S wrote:
Huh!?! Question #1 makes it seem like the photographer can't be the body-paint artist?
Question #2 Whats the difference on male or female do you know how many aggressive females that hit on other girls are out there and try to seduce girls too? I was out with my girl and walking us back to the car and passing a car with 4 girls in it. Girl sticks out her head and sad "Hot girl if you slip up Im Taken her" We were both insulted by this and pissed off as this was totally disrespectful! If it was a dude I would have lay into him. The girl I was with almost decided to punch her for showing no respect as she was holding my hand as clear as day! I just said no you wont and we moved on. But it made us feel bad and uneasy to have strangers do this to us. I kissed her and made her feel better. big_smile
I do Make-up/Air brushing, photography and Photo-Editing if its a smaller job I do all 3"! Its all being an artist and being creative. I don't do body painting as of yet but being asked like mad to do it by models. Maybe when I have more time or come up with a slick idea. But I don't see what the deal is for a person to do all the art forms if they wish! Heck I have some girl-friends wanting to teach me how to do hair for photo-shoots!
Anyhow It also seems like people think when someone turns 18 something magical happens? Really people don't change the day they turn 18 but what does happen is the Law looks at you different.
Like people said I don't see why someone is offering to pay you in MM for  body-painting heck Im getting asked like mad and I only do the face! Some girls are even coming up with amazing ideas themselves to do a body painting. so why does he need to pay a model? Hmmm... I would just bring your parents to the shoot is all and do the job! Your parents should be their anyhow! I Demand the parents to be their if the person is under 18 for any of my shoots!!!

You are missing the point.   These are questions, not answers.   It is always important to understand the situation in full before you make a decision.

Jun 21 13 11:01 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Yani S
Posts: 919
Los Angeles, California, US


GPS Studio Services wrote:

GPS Studio Services wrote:
Let me ask a few questions:

1.  Who is painting you, the photographer or a body-painting artist?
2.  Is the artist a male or female?
3.  What type of paint, air brush or hand applied with brushes/sponges/etc?
4.  What is the project for?

Since you are wearing a bikini, this will obviously not be risque'.  On the other hand, since it is non-nude, I am wondering why he is asking you, rather than an older model?  I do love your look.

I am on the fence with this.  If you have to "convince" your parents, it is obviously not right for you.  If they are on the bandwagon and support it, then I think it is fine.

I have done a lot of bodypaint over the years.  I have always selected models over 18.

You are missing the point.   These are questions, not answers.   It is always important to understand the situation in full before you make a decision.

Ok but what answers do you seek with those two questions? how do they lead to the safety of the person in need?
I can understand the last question #4 because that would most likely be the one that would answer it all if it was answered. What is the project for? Is it For an Ad,portfolio piece,practice,fun or for some devious plot?
I understand where you going with these questions just seemed to make other things look bad.
Me I believe she should just bring her parents to the job and do it! If any of them think anything is sketchy then Leave. models should know they always have a right to walk out on a job! Its ok to do this! Just Walk Out!

Jun 21 13 11:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
MedievalIce
Posts: 211
Ithaca, New York, US


I tend to agree with the general consensus here that several things seem off here and you should certainly consult your parents and have at least one of them come along.

However, I do think that some of the red flags that people have pointed out may not be as bad as they may seem.  First of all, I noticed that the OP is in Cedar City, Utah.  I don't know how many people have been there, but I will say that it's TINY, so there really may not be a model over the age of 18 who is up for a bodypaint shoot.  Also, it doesn't seem that the photographer wants a commitment to shoot before giving details about the shoot, rather they just want to know if the parents would consent before going through the hassle of trying to arrange everything. 

So there are certainly a few questions that still need to be answered before the OP should sign off on the shoot, but there could also be legitimate reasons for some of the objections that some have raised.
Jun 21 13 11:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Half Taco Photography
Posts: 183
Green Bay, Wisconsin, US


MedievalIce wrote:
First of all, I noticed that the OP is in Cedar City, Utah.  I don't know how many people have been there, but I will say that it's TINY, so there really may not be a model over the age of 18 who is up for a bodypaint shoot.

Well if the parents of the 17 y/o don't agree then maybe the guy can ask some JR High students or even hit up the local elementary school.

I mean really, it's a small town so this poor guy needs to work with minors!

Funny thing is that Las Vegas is only 2 1/2 hours away from Cedar City, Utah! That's 175 miles!

I can't see any hobby, amateur, weekend shooter or semi-pro asking a minor to do anything that could be looked on badly. If a pro wanted to work with her he would have asked to have her parents call and never mentioned the details of the shoot.

For the life of me I can't see why one would want to deal with minors without first speaking with the parents

Jun 21 13 01:19 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 35,063
San Francisco, California, US


GPS Studio Services wrote:
Let me ask a few questions:

1.  Who is painting you, the photographer or a body-painting artist?
2.  Is the artist a male or female?
3.  What type of paint, air brush or hand applied with brushes/sponges/etc?
4.  What is the project for?
GPS Studio Services wrote:
You are missing the point.   These are questions, not answers.   It is always important to understand the situation in full before you make a decision.
Yani S wrote:
Ok but what answers do you seek with those two questions? how do they lead to the safety of the person in need?
I can understand the last question #4 because that would most likely be the one that would answer it all if it was answered. What is the project for? Is it For an Ad,portfolio piece,practice,fun or for some devious plot?
I understand where you going with these questions just seemed to make other things look bad.
Me I believe she should just bring her parents to the job and do it! If any of them think anything is sketchy then Leave. models should know they always have a right to walk out on a job! Its ok to do this! Just Walk Out!

Not made to look bad.  As an example though, at 17, she might feel better if it was an experienced body painter rather than someone who is doing it for the first time.  On the other hand, she might not care.

At 17, if she is nervous, she might feel more comfortable with a female rather than a male.  On the other hand, she might feel more comfortable with an experienced male than an inexperienced female.

Air brushing requires less actual touching of her body than hand applied paints.  Materials such as liquid latex or creamed metallics involve more physical contact than latex acrylics.  These things all go to her understanding of what the project actually involves, so she can deal with her comfort level.  That threshold may, or may not change, based on the prior two questions.

These are all things she needs to know and understand.  She may, in the end be fine with any situation, but she needs to know exactly what she is getting involved in.   Knowing what she is being asked to do may also help her set limits that fit within her own personal comfort level.  Being fully informed is only common sense.

Jun 22 13 09:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
BEHOLDER ArtPhotography
Posts: 101
Monroe, Louisiana, US


K I C K H A M wrote:

Ok, well that's a big plus. If your parents end up going for it, take one of them with you. You need a parent in this case, not a friend.

+1

Jun 22 13 09:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,889
New York, New York, US


sounds dubious to me.  forget it.
Jun 22 13 10:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nytetym
Posts: 66
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Full disclosure with your parents.  At the end of the day, at this kind of shoot, one of your parents should be on hand.  Period.  If the photographer contacted you about this shoot, he should know it & expect it at your age.  This is not only protection for you but it protects him too.
Jun 22 13 11:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photographe
Posts: 2,350
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


JonPhoto wrote:
From a practical/legitimate standpoint I just don't see why a photographer would NEED 17 yr old for a project like this.

If you are nervous about this shoot then you are not ready for it, don't rush, take each shoot on a case by case basis.

The above point is very true. I was sent a replacement model for bodypainting by an agency, turned out the model was 17 and never shot a. in someone's house, b. anything with bare arms or legs e.g. swimwear. I was disappointed with the agency for sending me someone that was nervous. It was obvious that she was nervous because they had sent an mua along with her, so I thought why send her in the first place. So I do wonder the necessity of using a 17 year old and I wonder what is intended to be painted on you.

I am interested to see what your parents say about.

Also if you look at the consistency of posts by gatekeepers/Nigerian scammers in this thread and what they are saying, then obviously the photographer/painter need to address obvious issues and if they can't do that to you and your parent's satisfaction, then it's not worth even discussing.

Jun 23 13 08:22 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 35,063
San Francisco, California, US


Mark wrote:
sounds dubious to me.  forget it.

She passed on this a long time ago.  I only responded because he asked me why I posed those questions.  They made sense then, now they are meaningless since she already has declined.

Jun 23 13 08:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 346
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


Art of the nude wrote:

Alisa Meshkova wrote:
oh yes, they said it's fine if a parent/friend comes along and watches.

Some of your concerns make sense, but do you seriously think that a liability insurance company is going to prohibit parents on set with their minor child?

No, that wasn't what I meant.  This guy seems like a creeper to me and I am suggesting that he might say he was "ok" with the parents coming along, but hoping a friend comes, and if a parent comes will use the insurance excuse to ask the parents to leave the set.

Jun 23 13 08:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Alisa Meshkova
Posts: 58
Cedar City, Utah, US


JadeDRed wrote:

It could be what he means is, i'm not willing to discuss the shoot until i know you're parents are on board.

^ here. That is exactly what he meant.

Jun 23 13 06:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Alisa Meshkova
Posts: 58
Cedar City, Utah, US


Toto Photo wrote:
It would be great to hear your decision and how you came to it.




The photographer realized that I am quite young for these types of shoots. They declined, and I completely understood because that is what I wanted to do myself. There is no need to rush anywhere. I really want to start my professional(emphasis on that word, since I already model part time) modeling career and I am aware that I do not have to do these kind of sets to get successful. The photographer is not from MM, they found me on Instagram, therefore I am pretty sure they chose me because of my face mainly.(I do not post my body pictures there).

My parents trust me with my decisions. I talked to them once again and was very happy that they support me with everything that I do. They were more than sure that I will decline the offer, since I am old school in quite some ways including modeling. I understand that there are better, prettier and more experienced girls out there to choose from. I will really try my best to get better and more skilled at this profession, and be worth coming all the way to Cedar city.Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, really appreciate your help!
Jun 23 13 07:20 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
GPS Studio Services
Posts: 35,063
San Francisco, California, US


Toto Photo wrote:
It would be great to hear your decision and how you came to it.
Alisa Meshkova wrote:
The photographer realized that I am quite young for these types of shoots. They declined, and I completely understood because that is what I wanted to do myself. There is no need to rush anywhere. I really want to start my professional(emphasis on that word, since I already model part time) modeling career and I am aware that I do not have to do these kind of sets to get successful. The photographer is not from MM, they found me on Instagram, therefore I am pretty sure they chose me because of my face mainly.(I do not post my body pictures there).

My parents trust me with my decisions. I talked to them once again and was very happy that they support me with everything that I do. They were more than sure that I will decline the offer, since I am old school in quite some ways including modeling. I understand that there are better, prettier and more experienced girls out there to choose from. I will really try my best to get better and more skilled at this profession, and be worth coming all the way to Cedar city.Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, really appreciate your help!

I hope this post puts this thread to bed.  The OP has already done the right thing and that is what is important.

Jun 24 13 07:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fresh Faces Photography
Posts: 255
Santa Rosa, California, US


A parent MUST come along -- to sign the model release. If the photog has some reason why a parent shouldn't be there, run (don't walk) away.
Jun 24 13 11:43 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,521
Belmont, California, US


Alisa Meshkova wrote:
The photographer realized that I am quite young for these types of shoots. They declined, and I completely understood because that is what I wanted to do myself. There is no need to rush anywhere. I really want to start my professional(emphasis on that word, since I already model part time) modeling career and I am aware that I do not have to do these kind of sets to get successful. The photographer is not from MM, they found me on Instagram, therefore I am pretty sure they chose me because of my face mainly.(I do not post my body pictures there).

My parents trust me with my decisions. I talked to them once again and was very happy that they support me with everything that I do. They were more than sure that I will decline the offer, since I am old school in quite some ways including modeling. I understand that there are better, prettier and more experienced girls out there to choose from. I will really try my best to get better and more skilled at this profession, and be worth coming all the way to Cedar city.Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread, really appreciate your help!

Thanks for the update.

So glad to hear the photographer made a prudent choice! And you, very maturely, were ready to make the same choice!! And your parents backed off knowing you would make a good choice!!! Wow, you come from an awesome family.

Too bad this same photographer was, in the meantime, being vilified and judged harshly by others here who snapped to judgement as they so often do.

Regarding your "...better, prettier and more experienced girls out there..." comment: How about we stick with your original statement that the photographer realized you are "quite young" as that's probably the whole truth without need of self-deprecation? As you no doubt intuit at some level, you're very pretty indeed. And if you do try your best you will get better and photographers will be happy to work with you on age appropriate shhoots.

Jun 24 13 02:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
photo212grapher
Posts: 1,538
Saint Louis, Missouri, US


Alisa Meshkova wrote:
--snip--
4. The project will not be for commercial views, its for a private commission.

My parents are not so crazy about all these stuff. They are rather protective, but support what I do. I just want to know if it's rational for me to do a body paint photoset.

read where you are no longer considering this shoot...

To me, it'll depend on the nature of the body painting.

Let's say they paint you up as a cat/tiger/critter. Probably no big deal. Have fun with it.
Let's say they paint you up as a little school girl. Run away as fast as you can.
Let's say they paint you up as a Zombie or sport player or super hero. Could all be fun.
Let's say they paint you up as a sexy vampire or sexy witch. Run away as fast as you can.

As someone under 17 years old, you do not want to be represented as a sex object. What's a year? Everything in terms of legal issues. Plus, next year, you can decide. Until then, you parents decide. There's being pretty and beautiful at 17 years old - all good and fine, but there's also being sexy - not good.

Jun 24 13 02:54 pm  Link  Quote 
first12   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers