login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > diva photographer? Search   Reply
Model
neeeep
Posts: 238
Los Angeles, California, US


i always thought only models could be divas but i think i'm wrong from this fellow i came across. does anyone have any good or horror stories about any? and how do you deal with them? just "next"?
Jun 20 13 11:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,297
Upland, California, US


Hey neighbor... most definitely some diva photographers in our neck of the woods.  They've learned well from the Jedi Master here... borat... lol

However... if you do run into some attitudes that are indeed untolerable... exercising your 'next option' would be a good recommendation... wink
Jun 20 13 11:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
neeeep
Posts: 238
Los Angeles, California, US


Select Models wrote:
Hey neighbor... most definitely some diva photographers in our neck of the woods.  They've learned well from the Jedi Master here... borat... lol

However... if you do run into some attitudes that are indeed untolerable... exercising your 'next option' would be a good recommendation... wink

oh did they? (; i think you're right! ;p haha, jk. just never thought i'd have to! >o

Jun 21 13 12:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,297
Upland, California, US


Bambi Dahl wrote:

oh did they? (; i think you're right! ;p haha, jk. just never thought i'd have to! >o
Jun 21 13 12:42 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 42,427
Salinas, California, US


Select Models wrote:

And believe you me girlfren... for every diva photographer in this hood... there's at least 2 diva models.  SoCal is the land of a million divas... lol

"The Land of a Million Divas!"   That sure sounds like a Hollywood movie.  Actually, it's probably the title of a porn movie?   lol 

Yes, there are divas everywhere ... beware!  tongue


On a more serious note, I was just chatting with another photographer buddy of mine about photographer personalities.  People are all different from one person to the next.  If you find someone you really like working with, consider yourself fortunate and stick with them.

Jun 21 13 01:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
neeeep
Posts: 238
Los Angeles, California, US


i think everyones a little diva on the inside. ;p hahaha. forsure. gotta find my one true photographer.
Jun 21 13 01:02 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DivaEroticus
Posts: 14,285
Fayetteville, Arkansas, US


Patrick Walberg wrote:

"The Land of a Million Divas!"   That sure sounds like a Hollywood movie.  Actually, it's probably the title of a porn movie?   lol 

Yes, there are divas everywhere ... beware!  tongue


On a more serious note, I was just chatting with another photographer buddy of mine about photographer personalities.  People are all different from one person to the next.  If you find someone you really like working with, consider yourself fortunate and stick with them.

yikes That's how I got my name!  tongue  lol

Jun 21 13 06:28 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Creative Lion Images
Posts: 41
Hobart, Indiana, US


Diva photogs?...that shit kills me...I've heard of Diva actors, actresses, models, musicians etc...but Diva photogs...sheez...get over yourselves already people...lol
Jun 21 13 06:48 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Dekilah
Posts: 4,859
Detroit, Michigan, US


For me it depends on how bad the behavior is and how much of it is towards me and how much of it is just them rattling on. And the shoot situation (trade? paid? how talented are they?).

For example, if they are getting diva-licious with me and demanding things of me and ordering me around, things are going to go a lot less smoothly than if they are just going on about past experiences or gossiping. In the latter case I just smile and nod and do my thing.

And maybe I am just too nice, but I realize people need to vent sometimes. There are limits, but if that is all they seem to be doing and no anger or whatever is directed at me, I can listen for a little bit.

I have had situations where it was pretty ugly and I did step out of that. There were two photographers who had a big issue going on. I think the vast majority of it was a misunderstanding due to a model and MUA being way too over-dramatic about a situation. They had outings about each other on their websites and profiles elsewhere, were trying to get each other blacklisted, and so on. I wonder if they are still at it...
Jun 21 13 07:05 am  Link  Quote 
Model
DivaEroticus
Posts: 14,285
Fayetteville, Arkansas, US


Creative Lion Images wrote:
Diva photogs?...that shit kills me...I've heard of Diva actors, actresses, models, musicians etc...but Diva photogs...sheez...get over yourselves already people...lol

Well, anyone who has any kind of an "attitude" when it comes to what they do is often called a diva, and that's mostly with a negative connotation.

Thankfully, it's really about singers (originally, opera singers), and translates to "goddess."  'Cause that's what we are...goddesses!  tongue

Jun 21 13 07:06 am  Link  Quote 
Model
- Aina -
Posts: 729
Redlands, California, US


DivaEroticus wrote:

Well, anyone who has any kind of an "attitude" when it comes to what they do is often called a diva, and that's mostly with a negative connotation.

Thankfully, it's really about singers (originally, opera singers), and translates to "goddess."  'Cause that's what we are...goddesses!  tongue

.... Goddes Eroticus... I like it!

Jun 21 13 07:27 am  Link  Quote 
Clothing Designer
GRMACK
Posts: 1,624
Bakersfield, California, US


Diva photogs!?   lol. smile

I think we had some in our camera club.

"pssst... "Wanna see my Hass'y?"

"Oh Yeah.  Wanna see my 11x14 Linholf?  Trumps your little cheap-ass Hass'y."


Maybe those were "Gear-head divas?"

There are a few pros in town that come to mind as "divas" though at some weddings I've been to.  The "My way or no way." types who will take their cameras home if they don't get their way.
Jun 21 13 07:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Toto Photo
Posts: 2,361
Belmont, California, US


Me: There is no excuse, how did the brown M&M end up in the bowl!
My Assistant: It won't happen again sir.
Me: Where's my Poland Springs water?
My Assistant: They only had San Pelligrino sir.
Me: How do people expect me to work under these circumstances.
You, model-person, arch your back NOW!
Jun 21 13 03:28 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
studio36uk
Posts: 21,516
Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna


Bambi Dahl wrote:
i always thought only models could be divas but i think i'm wrong from this fellow i came across. does anyone have any good or horror stories about any? and how do you deal with them? just "next"?

If it's a male it should be "DIVO" [singular] or "DIVOS" [plural] . Just sayin'.

Studio36

Jun 21 13 05:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
narie
Posts: 102
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia


Bambi Dahl wrote:
i always thought only models could be divas but i think i'm wrong from this fellow i came across. does anyone have any good or horror stories about any? and how do you deal with them? just "next"?

You will run into them at points sad sometimes theres red flags in messages, sometimes no.

If you see a red flag... just pass on it. Unless you think their shots/compensation are worth the risk, someone else can probably do better minus the drama.

I've had photographers drop off the face of the earth and not return images yet use pictures of me in their portfolio, I've had some say TFP and turn around and try charge me... In cases like these, move on. Even if I wasted 6+ hours traveling, doing makeup, shooting and return trip, being angry and holding on and chasing them is not worth it.  Just move on smile Always another day there could be a great shoot - focus on those.

Jun 21 13 06:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bobby C
Posts: 1,630
Portland, Oregon, US


"A diva is a female performer, usually an opera singer, who is extremely talented but very imperious and tempermental. But the distinguishing factor is that her talent permits somewhat uncouth behaviour. A diva is not necessarily difficult to work with, she is just very professional and and has a low tolerance for incompetence. A diva is NOT just some no-talent pop singer who thinks everyone should acquiesce to her every whim, or even worse, some woman who is unecessarily rude, mean, bitchy, and often stupid just because she "knows what she wants" and revels in being high maitenance. These woman do not deserve the title of diva, because they have no redeeming talent or quality. They are simply loud and oboxious bitches. True divas should be treated with respect for their enormous talent and strong will.
Maria Callas was a quintessential diva, even being nicknamed "La Divina". "

From Urban Dictionary
Jun 21 13 06:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Rik Austin
Posts: 10,703
Austin, Texas, US


Never!




Well maybe one on MM comes to mind.  lol
Jun 21 13 06:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Neil Snape
Posts: 9,439
Paris, Île-de-France, France


I would rather work with a diva that is worth it than a dud.

I've had many a MUA divas and divos.

I can come off as a bit of a divo sometimes, but I try to hide it under my experience category!
Jun 21 13 06:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
a raw muse
Posts: 2,941
Brooklyn, New York, US


Neil Snape wrote:
I would rather work with a diva that is worth it than a dud.

Yes!!

I've grown a thick(er) skin for all sorts of personalities... provided they're actually talented and we create great work together, I think it's worth it. I know I'm awkward and have my own quirks, so nobody is perfect.

There is one "photographer" from my home town though, who is notorious for sending a model a message, and then sending a long rant after a few hours if the model doesn't respond right away. Something along the lines of "NEVERMIND, you OBVIOUSLY are not serious if you do not respond in a TIMELY manner. You have no idea who you're ignoring!" Except they didn't have the talent to match the attitude. roll

Jun 21 13 06:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Fotografica Gregor
Posts: 4,065
Alexandria, Virginia, US


Divas are just insecure little people who have a massively insatiable need for approval and control irrespective of whether they are, or are not, talented....

My own credo as an "artist" if indeed my "work" deserves the sobriquet:

"Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself. Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise."

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus c 170ad
Jun 21 13 06:57 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Bunny Bombshell
Posts: 11,752
Huntington, West Virginia, US


Oh yes, I've dealt with a few photogs that have more (undeserved) ego than talent. One in particular had the nerve to "cold call"/copy-paste message me, then get pissy when I declined his offer and called him out on his unprofessional behavior. He's been extremely butthurt over it and hasn't moved on since, but oh well. I honestly couldn't care less. His work just isn't that good. I stay pretty booked up, and I only work with photographers who don't rely on hype to get shoots
Jun 21 13 09:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chicchowmein
Posts: 14,348
Palm Beach, Florida, US


Ms Selina K wrote:
Oh yes, I've dealt with a few photogs that have more (undeserved) ego than talent. One in particular had the nerve to "cold call"/copy-paste message me, then get pissy when I declined his offer and called him out on his unprofessional behavior. He's been extremely butthurt over it and hasn't moved on since, but oh well. I honestly couldn't care less. His work just isn't that good. I stay pretty booked up, and I only work with photographers who don't rely on hype to get shoots

Do you care about hype if they pay you?

Just curious

Jun 21 13 09:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Bunny Bombshell
Posts: 11,752
Huntington, West Virginia, US


Chicchowmein wrote:
Do you care about hype if they pay you?

Just curious

Whether it's paid or trade I like to work with photographers who have had exhibits, gallery shows, publications, and the like. Actual credits, not just resume padding

Hype as I'm using it in this case, is the self-generated kind, where it's just them talking themselves up without the skills and experience to back it up

Jun 21 13 09:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
neeeep
Posts: 238
Los Angeles, California, US


studio36uk wrote:

If it's a male it should be "DIVO" [singular] or "DIVOS" [plural] . Just sayin'.

Studio36

thank.

Jun 22 13 12:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
neeeep
Posts: 238
Los Angeles, California, US


i like where this thread is goin! ;D
Jun 22 13 12:43 am  Link  Quote 
Model
neeeep
Posts: 238
Los Angeles, California, US


thank you all so much for the opinions and stories. and spelling corrections. :p
Jun 22 13 12:45 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,750
Los Angeles, California, US


Bambi Dahl wrote:
i always thought only models could be divas but i think i'm wrong from this fellow i came across. does anyone have any good or horror stories about any? and how do you deal with them? just "next"?

Ah, mademoiselle cannot such things be classed as bapteme en diable?

Jun 22 13 01:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David M Russell
Posts: 1,083
New York, New York, US


GRMACK wrote:
Diva photogs!?   lol. smile

I think we had some in our camera club.

"pssst... "Wanna see my Hass'y?"

"Oh Yeah.  Wanna see my 11x14 Linholf?  Trumps your little cheap-ass Hass'y."


Maybe those were "Gear-head divas?"

There are a few pros in town that come to mind as "divas" though at some weddings I've been to.  The "My way or no way." types who will take their cameras home if they don't get their way.

Those are gear heads. No respectable photographer refers to a Hasselblad as a "Hassy".

Jun 22 13 05:26 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
varton
Posts: 2,264
New York, New York, US


Bambi Dahl wrote:
i like where this thread is goin! ;D

Yep, nowhere.  big_smile

Jun 22 13 05:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GeorgeMann
Posts: 1,049
Orange, California, US


Rik Austin wrote:
Never!




Well maybe one on MM comes to mind.  lol

I shot with her.

Jun 22 13 11:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Elizabeta Rosandic
Posts: 939
Santa Fe, New Mexico, US


indefinite anomaly wrote:

There is one "photographer" from my home town though, who is notorious for sending a model a message, and then sending a long rant after a few hours if the model doesn't respond right away. Something along the lines of "NEVERMIND, you OBVIOUSLY are not serious if you do not respond in a TIMELY manner. You have no idea who you're ignoring!" Except they didn't have the talent to match the attitude. roll

I love when I get messages like that. It allows me to see upfront who's a pain in the ass to work with and who isn't. It's the sneaky divas I can't stand.

Jun 22 13 05:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel-Elise
Posts: 1,650
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


LOL. I've dealt with them before. Invariably, the "divos" who come to me are the ones with whom I would hardly consider doing a paid shoot, let alone anything else... they're the ones who have either really horrible, out-of-focus, etc. "work" and a bunch of so-called references that don't add up. They like to go on and on about how I'm being "disrespectful" to them by politely declining paying THEM to "improve" my portfolio, because, heaven knows, I "don't know who they are," and I'll "be sorry."

One memorable divo insisted that he'd shot with Italian Vogue and French Elle. Interestingly enough, neither Vogue nor Elle had ever heard of him. B-)
Jun 24 13 09:03 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Awesome Headshots
Posts: 2,363
San Ramon, California, US


I've been called a Diva photographer several times..... I think it's because I yell "OH SNAP" and snap my fingers in the air after each frame.
Jun 24 13 09:10 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Rachel-Elise
Posts: 1,650
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Awesome Headshots wrote:
I've been called a Diva photographer several times..... I think it's because I yell "OH SNAP" and snap my fingers in the air after each frame.

Now THAT is the type of person I want to shoot with. xD

Jun 24 13 09:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DOUGLASFOTOS
Posts: 7,969
Los Angeles, California, US


Creative Lion Images wrote:
Diva photogs?...that shit kills me...I've heard of Diva actors, actresses, models, musicians etc...but Diva photogs...sheez...get over yourselves already people...lol

Trust me..they r out there..one in weho, 3 in honolulu, and 2 in NYC, and 1 in turkey scratch, ar.lol

Jun 24 13 09:38 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Silver Mirage
Posts: 1,546
Plainview, Texas, US


I think many of the best people in any field have a bit of the diva in them. People who are driven to do every job to the the highest standard can come across that way to us mere mortals.

Of course, there are a lot of full-on divas who do not have the talent or work ethic to back it up. They usually wind up out of the business pretty quick, but they make the rest of us miserable while they are there.

Before I retired I worked with a lot of both types - photographers, models, designers, writers editors and more. A few of them wound up at the top of their profession, and deserved it. Most of them wound up looking for a new career.
Jun 24 13 10:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Photographe
Posts: 2,350
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


I worked for one person who turned down a huge job because the 18 year old model was going to be paid the same as the well-known 28 year old photographer. I would not really call her a diva, it was a fair point about PR.

I worked for a guy who threw his camera at the wall when informed that the stock delivery was going to be half a day late. Again I understood his frustration, half a day of assistant, studio, other hire purchases, plus time lost marketing and meeting people. The lens didn't survive, but we continued using the same camera with perfect results.

I've always been conscious never to blame others if the quality wasn't perfect, that's the whole point of being a (beauty portrait) photographer, it's YOUR job to find and portray something special, extra-ordinary. A lot of models look very plain, ordinary, as if too much make-up is regularly applied to their skin, tired, overworked, overtravelled etc when they turn up, I think some photographer's have a poor attitude to certain models and aren't patient enough or challenge themselves enough to create an extraordinary pic with what they have in front of them. You often see people are disappointed with models and switch off a bit, it's a bit diva-ish.
Jun 24 13 10:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
sgnr photo
Posts: 254
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


studio36uk wrote:

If it's a male it should be "DIVO" [singular] or "DIVOS" [plural] . Just sayin'.

Studio36

Are we not photographers?

We are Divo!

Jun 24 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Oscar Partida
Posts: 729
San Diego, California, US


Neil Snape wrote:
I would rather work with a diva that is worth it than a dud.

I've had many a MUA divas and divos.

I can come off as a bit of a divo sometimes, but I try to hide it under my experience category!

THISSSS

Jun 24 13 03:50 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers