login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > Tattoos, and modeling. Search   Reply
first1234last
Model
MiaDLove
Posts: 28
London, England, United Kingdom


I love inked people for many reasons smile
Jun 22 13 12:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
LA StarShooter
Posts: 1,819
Los Angeles, California, US


I shot a model who had a tattoo that curled from the thigh to the lower belly. She had gorgeous swimsuits.

I could actually present the photo to swimsuit lines if I could remove the tattoo, it really has that potential. It's a nightmare to remove. I'll try next weekend again. The photo is not on here. I have photos that I put aside for the day when I get the hang of photoshop. I only recently started using it. Before it was virtually all Lightroom.

I just now can't use models with tattoos. I don't have any projects that require them.

To begin with, some images can require a lot of postwork to really get them to a level of gorgeousity where they can do something more for the photographer than just look good in an online portfolio.

To have any further complications than: the assistant angled off the reflector, lowered it, just as you clicked, and then the model changed position and couldn't remember how to do it again, but it's the shot, the shot, that has the potential to really get people interested in you, and your retinas got burnt in the sun, and then  you spend the hours fixing it, and then have to remove not just sand spots but a tattoo! Oh god, no.

On location you can get sand on your lens. Due to my wonderful experiences I prefer no tattoos, particularly for SWIMSUIT.
Jun 22 13 12:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I'm short. I shoot nudes. I'm also a burlesque performer. Not an issue. Blah.
Jun 22 13 02:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Nelson Photograph
Posts: 348
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, US


Everybody is entitled to their opinion, personally I avoid hiring models with ink.  Our eyes are naturally drawn to contrast and since the tattoo will have the most contrast the viewers eye will naturally to the tat.  That's not where I want the eye to go.
Jun 22 13 02:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVP Photography
Posts: 2,854
Broomfield, Colorado, US


VonTuck wrote:
Some photographers won't shoot you.
Some agencies will pass on you.
Some clients will not request you.

Fuck them.

Fuck them all.

You can have a great career without them. There is a lot of work for tattooed models. The alternative modeling scene is gigantic.

Don't let the naysayers bring you down.

I love working with tattooed models.

Please enlighten me on your extensive background, and why you say the alternative modeling scene is "gigantic".  Does "gigantic" mean making enough money to live on?  Please show me what the "great career" is you refer to?  Does that mean making enough money to live on?  I await your answers with interest.

Jun 22 13 02:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Goddess of Saturn
Posts: 77
Spring Lake, North Carolina, US


DVP Photography wrote:

Please enlighten me on your extensive background, and why you say the alternative modeling scene is "gigantic".  Does "gigantic" mean making enough money to live on?  Please show me what the "great career" is you refer to?  Does that mean making enough money to live on?  I await your answers with interest.

Anything that's not "fashion" modeling is generally considered alternative modeling. I.e. nude, erotic, lifestyle, etc, etc.

Jun 22 13 03:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,068
New York, New York, US


Goddess of Saturn  wrote:

Anything that's not "fashion" modeling is generally considered alternative modeling. I.e. nude, erotic, lifestyle, etc, etc.

I am not certain if your definition of "alternative" or "alt" modeling is correct, dear Goddess!

Jun 22 13 03:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Goddess of Saturn
Posts: 77
Spring Lake, North Carolina, US


udor wrote:

I am not certain if your definition of "alternative" or "alt" modeling is correct, dear Goddess!

This is just what a couple of other photogs have told me. /: I'm sorry I'm not up in the "Know how" of the modeling industry.

Jun 22 13 04:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVP Photography
Posts: 2,854
Broomfield, Colorado, US


Goddess of Saturn  wrote:

Anything that's not "fashion" modeling is generally considered alternative modeling. I.e. nude, erotic, lifestyle, etc, etc.

Sorry, but you are totally wrong.  You need to spend a little time getting educated about the industry you want to join.

Jun 22 13 04:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,068
New York, New York, US


Goddess of Saturn  wrote:

This is just what a couple of other photogs have told me. /: I'm sorry I'm not up in the "Know how" of the modeling industry.

That's okay...

AFAIK, "alt" modeling is more in the direction of either fetish, tattoos, bodymod, cosplay, emo, goth etc.

That's what comes to my mind when I think about "alt" modeling, because besides fashion, you have commercial, glamour, art, nude etc., which is all some sort of "main stream" modeling.

Btw., I think that you have a great look! smile

Jun 22 13 04:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DVP Photography
Posts: 2,854
Broomfield, Colorado, US


Dear Goddess:

The basic definition in Wikipedia is a good place to start to understand alternative modeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_model
Jun 22 13 04:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Goddess of Saturn
Posts: 77
Spring Lake, North Carolina, US


udor wrote:

That's okay...

AFAIK, "alt" modeling is more in the direction of either fetish, tattoos, bodymod, cosplay, emo, goth etc.

That's what comes to my mind when I think about "alt" modeling, because besides fashion, you have commercial, glamour, art, nude etc., which is all some sort of "main stream" modeling.

Btw., I think that you have a great look! smile

Thank you! I'll be getting more interesting shots in soon. ^-^

I'll be having a shoot next weekend. I'll be in a pastel goth outfit, or "Fairy Kei". It's just Japanese street fashion.

The pictures in my profile are more the photographer, than me. What they wanted to do, or wanted me to wear. You know.

Jun 22 13 04:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Burlesque is alt now? Oooookay.
Jun 22 13 04:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,068
New York, New York, US


P I X I E wrote:
Burlesque is alt now? Oooookay.

I am not at all surprised by the inclusion of burlesque under "alt" modeling...

It's also not something I'd consider negative!

Jun 22 13 04:56 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Goddess of Saturn
Posts: 77
Spring Lake, North Carolina, US


Why do I feel people cringing at the very thought of alt modeling? >3>
Jun 22 13 04:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
VonTuck
Posts: 54
Marietta, Georgia, US


Hmm let's see,
Your attitude in addressing this forum is uncivil and insulting to everyone else who tried to explain the rationale behind their opinions.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone who tried to give a legitimate answer.

However, several of the posters were extremely insulting to everyone on this site who is tattooed.

To act as if someone is lesser because they chose to get tattooed is absolutely a backwards, prejudiced, close-minded downright bigoted way to look at the world.

Sorry if I do not feel bad for reacting strongly.

The posters who were insulting to begin with about tattoos were uncivil to the majority of models here, the original poster, and myself as both a tattooed individual and a tattoo artist.

Jun 22 13 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,068
New York, New York, US


VonTuck wrote:
However, several of the posters were extremely insulting to everyone on this site who is tattooed.

To act as if someone is lesser because they chose to get tattooed is absolutely a backwards, prejudiced, close-minded downright bigoted way to look at the world.

The posters who were insulting to begin with about tattoos were uncivil to the majority of models here, the original poster, and myself as both a tattooed individual and a tattoo artist.

I am heavily inked myself! smile

Jun 22 13 05:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
VonTuck
Posts: 54
Marietta, Georgia, US


DVP Photography wrote:

Please enlighten me on your extensive background, and why you say the alternative modeling scene is "gigantic".  Does "gigantic" mean making enough money to live on?  Please show me what the "great career" is you refer to?  Does that mean making enough money to live on?  I await your answers with interest.

I know several alternative, heavily tattooed who make a nice living... it's like every other aspect of modeling, some make a lot of money, some make a decent living, some make extra change to put gas in the car, and some do it for fun.

But I'm probably more familiar than most with alternative because I've been a tattoo artist for almost 2 decades. I've watched the tattooed model come into it's growth. As for the size of the scene... I don't know what to tell you. It's huge.

Jun 22 13 05:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Goddess of Saturn
Posts: 77
Spring Lake, North Carolina, US


Can we all keep the peace, please? /: Remember, when something on the internet upsets you. Step away from the computer, calm down, and come back later to readdress the problem.
Jun 22 13 05:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Cultured Pearls Photo
Posts: 1,928
Washington, District of Columbia, US


I love to shoot good ink.
Bad ink....purely subjective, makes a shoot harder, regardless of genre.
I shoot 90% "alt"....body mods, ink, cringe fashion, crime story....bring it on baby.
Jun 22 13 06:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lumatic
Posts: 13,750
Chicago, Illinois, US


Frankly, it's not a question of liking tattooed models or not for me.  The only thing that matters to me is whether or not it works for the image.  Sometimes with or without is important.  Other times it doesn't matter either way, as is the case with my current avatar.

I will say this - I find that when it matters, tattoos create a distraction more often than they act as a usable feature.  Not always, but more often than not.
Jun 22 13 07:03 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Squid Puke
Posts: 49
San Diego, California, US


I think tattoos, if good quality, can look stunning on many woman of all sizes. And it should not be a guarenteed NO for a photographer because there are SEVERAL options to covering them. 1 is a sleeve that easily looks like plain skin.
There is photoshop.
And there is makeup. Most coverups and foundations will not do the trick but i have come across a few brands that do a VERY good job at covering them. Ive seen this done in person as well and it is fantastic!
I am tattooed myself and though i have many it turns out there ARE alot of photographers who are becoming open to tattoos and alternative styles. But then again some photographers just don't like it.
Everybody has there Niche'. You just gotta find the ones that work for/with you.
Jun 22 13 08:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,918
Port Townsend, Washington, US


Squid Puke wrote:
I think tattoos, if good quality, can look stunning on many woman of all sizes. And it should not be a guarenteed NO for a photographer because there are SEVERAL options to covering them. 1 is a sleeve that easily looks like plain skin.
There is photoshop.
And there is makeup. Most coverups and foundations will not do the trick but i have come across a few brands that do a VERY good job at covering them. Ive seen this done in person as well and it is fantastic!
I am tattooed myself and though i have many it turns out there ARE alot of photographers who are becoming open to tattoos and alternative styles. But then again some photographers just don't like it.
Everybody has there Niche'. You just gotta find the ones that work for/with you.

squid puke. gotta be the most interesting name i have ever seen here. i can get a decent set or two from a graffitied model, then it's time for coverup. photoshop? some of us don't want to be doing that work. or can't. i hope you can do the cosmetic alternative, because you have an excellent face and figure.

Jun 22 13 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Videbimus Imaginis
Posts: 152
New Orleans, Louisiana, US


If the tattoos are the focus of the shoot or I'm going for a specific look that tattoos help to convey I am all for them.  Otherwise I would prefer the model to be free of ink.  I have shot tattooed models that used makeup to cover their ink before.  It all depends upon what will be seen in the final image for me.
Jun 23 13 01:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
dave phoenix
Posts: 1,299
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Goddess of Saturn  wrote:
Obviously, I'm too short to do "High Fashion". I just stick to alternative modeling, and things of that sort.

I feel (Being a tattooed model) I don't have enough tattoos, and it just looks empty.

i agree with you on the "empty" look. if the model has full sleeves, or a huge chest piece, then she looks like a "tattooed model." if a model has a few little tattoos, then i'd suggest she cover them. a few little tattoos are going to be distracting to her overall look... where lots of ink is going to BE the look.

Jun 23 13 02:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,708
Upland, California, US


Trevor bonderud wrote:
For me it's like advertising someone else's work.

Exactly... and from what I've witnessed from the majority of tattoos I've seen... that work can be some REAL SHIT!  Close to 500 model images on this port... over 95% NO tattoos... not a fan in the slightest... wink

Jun 23 13 02:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DwLPhoto
Posts: 577
Palo Alto, California, US


Everything depends, right?

If you want to be that model in "Picture Me" who gets flown to Europe for the weekend and paid $22,000 for it, tattoos won't help much.

If you want to do the local hot girl with tattoos shoot, it will.

Most of the girls with tattoos around here have a lot, and either it will work or it won't depending on the shoot.   You can say "I model" or "I am a model."  The latter doesn't have much room for tattoos.

That being said, I love most of the published Suicide Girls models. Not the submit your pic to our database and get $50 if you're lucky ones, the ones who were in the book.   (not saying they got much more....)

But for the most part, the tattooed models  you'll run into around here  that have ink in amounts that would greatly affect a shoot are in two categories.... random tattoos all over and do hard fetish shoots, or have decided they are all pinup or "burlesque" and usually a size 14 or bigger.
Jun 23 13 07:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jay Farrell
Posts: 13,045
Nashville, Tennessee, US


If I feel they work with the model's look, fine, we use them and make a fun concept around them. However, there are times I need a clean canvas for art nude work. Recently, I was commissioned to shoot a girl for art nude website content...she had a couple small tattoos that the site administrator said were ok....we did a test shoot, it was all a go. We had our first official shoot set up for this week, and she confirms, then tells me she got a tattoo. I see a photo of a huge half sleeve that's only outlined, and will need to be shaded and colored in, in stages. I was infuriated and told her she blew it, and that needed to wait, we had a deal. Now it' off the table. Bottom line....tats may get you some opportunities for concept shoots etc....will cost some opportunities. Whatever happens, just gotta deal with it. smile
Jun 23 13 08:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Volition Graphics
Posts: 413
Seattle, Washington, US


On a whole in todays market, tattoos probably close more doors than they open for professional modeling opportunities. Although I think that is slowly changing.

As a casual shooter, I avoided models with ink, even for 'just for fun' trade shoots.

I have however over the years, seen the light, and am appreciating them more. Maybe because there are a lot more quality artists producing beautiful pieces today? Maybe I was just a little slow in seeing the creativity in them.

You can be a model with tatts and be successful. Just market yourself as such and maximize the opportunities in your market.
Jun 23 13 08:21 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Rays Fine Art
Posts: 6,067
New York, New York, US


Goddess of Saturn  wrote:
. . . . .

I feel (Being a tattooed model) I don't have enough tattoos, and it just looks empty.

. . . . .

I think you have the crux of it there--Either you're a tattooed model or you're not.

A few scattered, unrelated pieces don't make you a tattooed model.  They only make you a model with a few tattoos that probably make photographing you for any other style difficult at best.  As a result, you are likely to lose both tattooed and non-tattooed jobs.

On the other hand, one or more well designed, well placed tattoos can be a real asset.  Personally, I generally don't like tattoos, but I've seen some that simply blow me away.

So my advice, FWIW would be if you're not tattooed yet, save them until you're no longer modeling but if you're already sporting a number of tattoos, or if you are sure that you want to be a real tattooed model, then take the time and spend the money to get first quality, intelligently integrated work done that will knock their socks off when photographers see it.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Jun 23 13 09:55 am  Link  Quote 
Model
MB JenB
Posts: 2,980
Clarksville, Tennessee, US


VonTuck wrote:
I know several alternative, heavily tattooed who make a nice living... it's like every other aspect of modeling, some make a lot of money, some make a decent living, some make extra change to put gas in the car, and some do it for fun.

But I'm probably more familiar than most with alternative because I've been a tattoo artist for almost 2 decades. I've watched the tattooed model come into it's growth. As for the size of the scene... I don't know what to tell you. It's huge.

Hi,
Lets not forget about us, (heavily yet) not-alt yet tattooed models.smile Not every ink bearer is into alternative shooting.
Jen
p.s. enjoying my art shoots too of all things!

Jun 23 13 10:53 am  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


udor wrote:

I am not at all surprised by the inclusion of burlesque under "alt" modeling...

It's also not something I'd consider negative!

No, I'm not saying it's negative. I'm just, uh, surprised.

Jun 23 13 11:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Eye of the World
Posts: 763
Corvallis, Oregon, US


nyk fury wrote:

well said. when the day comes that inking becomes mutable, then it will be a fine thing. but in the meantime what tatters call 'beautiful' and 'expressing self' is really just painting oneself into a corner.

Photography aside, this is really the crux of why I am not a big fan of ink in general. Yes I have seen some really beautiful work, but 90% do not fall into that category. There are the rare tattoos that I can agree have a special meaning for someone, such as honoring a loved one who has passed on, but the vast majority I see were simply done on a whim.

One in particular I saw was the word salty in the inside of the lip. When I asked why salty, she said her friend had gotten sweet on her lip. That was a really mature reason for a tattoo.

The fact is we all change with time and I can say with certainty that had I gotten tattoos when I was a twentysomething, the things I would have chosen as "meaningful" to me then have been superseded by other aspects of life. It is only in hindsight that I understand just how much as a person I was going to change in those three decades.

Jun 23 13 11:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
P I X I E
Posts: 35,308
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Eye of the World wrote:

Photography aside, this is really the crux of why I am not a big fan of ink in general. Yes I have seen some really beautiful work, but 90% do not fall into that category. There are the rare tattoos that I can agree have a special meaning for someone, such as honoring a loved one who has passed on, but the vast majority I see were simply done on a whim.

One in particular I saw was the word salty in the inside of the lip. When I asked why salty, she said her friend had gotten sweet on her lip. That was a really mature reason for a tattoo.

The fact is we all change with time and I can say with certainty that had I gotten tattoos when I was a twentysomething, the things I would have chosen as "meaningful" to me then have been superseded by other aspects of life. It is only in hindsight that I understand just how much as a person I was going to change in those three decades.

How do you know most tattoos you see were done on a whim? By one anecdote?

Jun 23 13 12:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
udor
Posts: 22,068
New York, New York, US


P I X I E wrote:
How do you know most tattoos you see were done on a whim? By one anecdote?

It's the standard assumption of a proponent of the anti-tattoo movement.

What is the current number... 15 or 25 percent of all Americans have some sort of a tattoo...

... that's like 40 to 60 Million people... pretty ballsy to make such judgment call about tens of Millions of people...

                                              facepalm

Jun 23 13 12:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,713
Saco, Maine, US


I prefer my nude figure models tattoo free, but, because I am a painter and not a photographer, I can easily edit out any tattoo that I feel would get in the way of the painting!

That being said, there are a few GORGEOUS tattooed models here on MM that I would LOVE to paint AND include all of their tattoos in the finished paintings!
Jun 23 13 12:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Goddess of Saturn
Posts: 77
Spring Lake, North Carolina, US


My tattoos haven't kept me from getting a job. And when I say I'm a TATTOOED model. I'm not saying I'm a Tattoo model. I'm saying I'm a model with tattoos. I.e. "I'm a tattooed gal." Hot damn.

Actually, most photographers I've come in contact with like the fact that I have tattoos. Sure, I don't have tons, but I'm saving my back piece for a reason. I need to find an amazing artist. I don't get tattoos just to get them, they all have a meaning behind them. I'm not trying to get famous, or make a living. If ever I get famous, it's either because of a documentary I'm putting together, or because I'm in a band.

Modeling is just something I have a passion for. It's art, and I love art.
Jun 23 13 12:36 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Koryn
Posts: 36,355
Boston, Massachusetts, US


MyrnaByrna Jen B wrote:

Hi,
Lets not forget about us, (heavily yet) not-alt yet tattooed models.smile Not every ink bearer is into alternative shooting.
Jen
p.s. enjoying my art shoots too of all things!

Yeah, the two tattoos I have are fairly prominent, but I do not look "alternative," and have never had anyone refer to me as an "alternative model," not that I know of anyway

Jun 23 13 12:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,918
Port Townsend, Washington, US


udor wrote:
... that's like 40 to 60 Million people... pretty ballsy to make such judgment call about tens of Millions of people...

100s of millions of people have voted for douches. 100s of millions sit in front of network television. 100s of millions of people adhere to gods which either do not exist, or if they do exist, they are demonic.

it doesn't require balls to see when you are surrounded by stupid.

well, after thinking about all of that stupid, i guess nevermind about the tat issue tongue

Jun 23 13 01:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
VonTuck
Posts: 54
Marietta, Georgia, US


udor wrote:

It's the standard assumption of a proponent of the anti-tattoo movement.

What is the current number... 15 or 25 percent of all Americans have some sort of a tattoo...

... that's like 40 to 60 Million people... pretty ballsy to make such judgment call about tens of Millions of people...

                                              facepalm

Jun 23 13 01:16 pm  Link  Quote 
first1234last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers