login info join!
Forums > Model Colloquy > What's a good rate to ask for my modeling? Search   Reply
Model
Mandara Sky
Posts: 28
Miami Beach, Florida, US


Hi I've been doing modeling for quite a few years now. Before I would do a lot of TFCD and TF clothing. Modeling has always been my 2nd priority since my music career comes first, but I've decided I want to take on paid work. What is a good rate to ask for at this level in my modeling? I've always been told by photographers that I'm great to work with because I don't need hardly any direction and they are normally able to get everything they are wanting out of the shoot within the first hour. Please, I'd love to hear recommendations! Thank you!
Jun 22 13 02:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
WIP
Posts: 15,406
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom


Mandara Sky wrote:
I've always been told by photographers that I'm great to work with because I don't need hardly any direction

Shouldn't believe what photographers tell you.

Jun 22 13 04:00 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Just Danielle
Posts: 2,308
Petersfield, England, United Kingdom


Well you don't shoot nudes and this is where the money is made modelling freelance. At 5'8 you might make it into an agency but probably not as it's still on the short side for fashion.
Jun 22 13 04:25 am  Link  Quote 
Model
sasweets
Posts: 404
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


I think you should still do tfp and keep going up with the photographers you choose. Because you have a lot of photos in the same outfit. If they offer you money just go with it if its the kind of genre your into. My guess right now is 10$-15$ an hour if the photographer offers or your not into their work.
Jun 22 13 05:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Ash Photographic
Posts: 378
Cirencester, England, United Kingdom


You need to post in the Critique forum for an honest assessment of your portfolio, your look and your marketability.

All we can say here is that rates will vary from $0 to maybe $75 per hour for clothed work depending on the model and the client's budget.






Ash.
Jun 22 13 05:44 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
varton
Posts: 2,287
New York, New York, US


Mandara Sky wrote:
Hi I've been doing modeling for quite a few years now. Before I would do a lot of TFCD and TF clothing. Modeling has always been my 2nd priority since my music career comes first, but I've decided I want to take on paid work. What is a good rate to ask for at this level in my modeling? I've always been told by photographers that I'm great to work with because I don't need hardly any direction and they are normally able to get everything they are wanting out of the shoot within the first hour. Please, I'd love to hear recommendations! Thank you!

It's supply and demand, ask yourself what you have to offer that your competition doesn't.
Is it your ability to work without directions?  It is assumed all charging models already have that quality.  The number of models waiting for paid jobs by far exceed the number of available jobs
You can always ask, you may or may not get it. Everyone feel they are entitled to compensation.
Your limits puts you right behind the last person waiting on a mile long line waiting to get hired.

The real question is how much they would be willing to pay you rather then how much should you be asking. smile especially after saying your primary focus is music not modeling.

If  I was hiring a model I would prefer he/she would focus into modeling very seriously and not be satisfied with her own self evaluation on the quality of work brought in to my projects.

Jun 22 13 06:00 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nature Coast Lightworks
Posts: 1,859
Spring Hill, Florida, US


Jun 22 13 06:15 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Chelsea Marlo
Posts: 132
Portland, Oregon, US


I've been asking for $50/hour since I've started and have almost always gotten it unless I liked the photographer enough that I didn't insist on it, I think that's pretty reasonable for you to ask as well.
Jun 23 13 04:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Images by MR
Posts: 7,572
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


Chelsea Marlo wrote:
I've been asking for $50/hour since I've started and have almost always gotten it unless I liked the photographer enough that I didn't insist on it, I think that's pretty reasonable for you to ask as well.

You also shoot nudes.. which the OP doesn't

Jun 23 13 04:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Miss Photog
Posts: 287
VALLEY VILLAGE, California, US


Just Danielle wrote:
Well you don't shoot nudes and this is where the money is made modelling freelance. At 5'8 you might make it into an agency but probably not as it's still on the short side for fashion.

+1

can't really critique you in this section, but I'd suggest building your port more with quality images and getting more experience before asking for pay. If a photographer OFFERS to pay you, that's one thing, but personally I don't think you're really at a level yet where you should ask for pay unless it's like $10/hr. or something. Shooting nudes of course always increases your chance of paid gigs. I specialize in fine art nudes & charge $100/hr., but I've also been doing this for a number of years and have a pretty extensive portfolio.
Good Luck! smile

Jun 23 13 04:55 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Little Miss BB
Posts: 169
Grand Rapids, Michigan, US


Miss Photog wrote:

+1

can't really critique you in this section, but I'd suggest building your port more with quality images and getting more experience before asking for pay. If a photographer OFFERS to pay you, that's one thing, but personally I don't think you're really at a level yet where you should ask for pay unless it's like $10/hr. or something. Shooting nudes of course always increases your chance of paid gigs. I specialize in fine art nudes & charge $100/hr., but I've also been doing this for a number of years and have a pretty extensive portfolio.
Good Luck! smile

+1! Your portfolio isn't strong enough to charge people. Would you pay you?
From what I've seen, here are some things you should work on before considering charging:
- Stronger poses
- More involved/interesting facial expressions
- a more extensive wardrobe. I almost never shoot in the same outfit twice. It's expensive, but you get out what you put in.

Jun 23 13 09:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mark
Posts: 2,889
New York, New York, US


TFP
Jun 23 13 09:50 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Stone Imaging
Posts: 801
Seattle, Washington, US


It might be best to start with looking at the number of photographers and female models in the Miami Beach area...

Using the MM browse function, there are 4770 non-nude and 582 nude models within a 25-mile radius of Miami Beach.

There are 2683 male and female photographers in the same area.

This is "roughly" 2 clothed models per photographer, and 1 nude model for every 5 photographers.

These numbers indicate some serious competition among models.  Best thing to do is to look over a hundred or so profiles of non-nude models, be honest about where you fit in, and price yourself accordingly.
Jun 24 13 02:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Farenell Photography
Posts: 17,955
Albany, New York, US


IF you're getting asked by people what your rates are, its perfectly acceptable to have them "make (you) an offer" & then you can decide if its worth it for you or not to accept the assignment.
Jun 24 13 03:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Falcons Nest
Posts: 543
Brooklyn, New York, US


Honestly for everything you say you DON'T do your value goes down because its one less thing a photographer can use you for.

Having looked at your port I don't see a specialty like dance/ballet/gymnastics or anything at all above average. Not even an average commercial résumé.

You're a TFP model at best until you either get a lot better or expand into an area where there's higher demand like nudes, fetish, lingerie or swimwear.
Jun 24 13 04:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,918
Port Townsend, Washington, US


Mandara Sky wrote:
I've been doing modeling for quite a few years now.

i don't see evidence of that.

Jun 24 13 09:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JohnEnger
Posts: 768
Jessheim, Akershus, Norway


Mandara Sky wrote:
Hi I've been doing modeling for quite a few years now. Before I would do a lot of TFCD and TF clothing. Modeling has always been my 2nd priority since my music career comes first, but I've decided I want to take on paid work. What is a good rate to ask for at this level in my modeling? I've always been told by photographers that I'm great to work with because I don't need hardly any direction and they are normally able to get everything they are wanting out of the shoot within the first hour. Please, I'd love to hear recommendations! Thank you!

In a world packed wit beautyful women modelling nekkid for breadcrumbs getting paid modelling is not all that easy. I think your best shot is to look at models in your area, that do about the same as you do,  and have your features and experience level, and see what they charge. If I were to make a ball park estimate, I'd say between $20 and $30 an hour, given that you have a couple of great references.

Best of luck!

Sincerely,
John Enger

Jun 24 13 09:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 32,233
Lodi, California, US


Mandara Sky wrote:
Before I would do a lot of TFCD and TF clothing. Modeling has always been my 2nd priority since my music career comes first, but I've decided I want to take on paid work.

You expect photographers to provide you with album artwork for TF, yet you think you should get paid? Good luck with that.

Jun 24 13 09:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nogawd Photography
Posts: 106
Cleveland, Ohio, US


Mandara Sky wrote:
I've been doing modeling for quite a few years now.
nyk fury wrote:
i don't see evidence of that.

+1

Jun 24 13 10:03 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sierra McKenzie
Posts: 710
Seattle, Washington, US


Set  a rate you think is a little low, but still worth your time to show up for.

If you get all your free-time overbooked for two weeks out, raise your rate.

Repeat.

Theres no reason to keep doing TF if you're not eventually going to charge. A portfolio is to get you work, not just to have pretty pictures of yourself.

If anyone wants to shoot with you and it won't specifically add to your portfolio in a great way, charge.
Jun 24 13 06:08 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 7,104
New York, New York, US


TFP.
Jun 24 13 06:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Risen Phoenix Photo
Posts: 1,247
Minneapolis, Minnesota, US


There is no rate low enough. The posing is very amateur and the quality of the photography is mid to poor.

I would suggest TF with better photographers. Get a book that looks reasonable and than set a rate like $25 per hour. 

I know a lot of people on this site delude themselves into thinking they are models and photographers
Jun 25 13 05:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob Helm Photography
Posts: 18,176
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US


For many reasons I agree with the TFP comments. Why would be in the critique forums.

To answer your question as you are being asked for rates is to start asking questions.
Starting with:
What is your budget?
What, where, when?
Who provides wardrobe and hair and makeup?
What is the intended use and send me a copy of your model Release.

Then everything is negotiable and both decide on what is agreeable. If you quote a price it can be too high or too low. If too high it may end negotiations there, if too low you leave money on the table. Not everyone is good at negotiating and it is as important a skill as any other if you want to make money.
Jun 25 13 06:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Marin Photography NYC
Posts: 7,104
New York, New York, US


RennsportPhotography wrote:
What is your budget?

I just disagree with this question. Why would you give that information? That's like playing poker and showing your cards. I would never answer that question. That defeats the purpose of negotiating.

Instead ask what they are willing to pay you...and you accept/decline/or negotiate further.

Jun 25 13 06:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Bob Helm Photography
Posts: 18,176
Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US


Just because a question is asked does not mean it has to be answered directly.
Lets say we have a llama that has not been paid in the past but reads the forums etc and is thinking$150 an hour with a 2 hour minimum with no idea that those rates for her at this time for this type of shoot is totally unrealistic. If the photographer has a budget of 50 to 75 the negotiation is at an end and the llama may have been elated simply to get a  paycheck at all.

Sometimes the llama is thinking pay per hour and the photographer is thinking pay for the project. Is $100 for three hours really that much different than $100 for an hour? If you were just going to be on the net or watching TV $100 is $100.

Now as a photographer you can always respond with a range saying "well it depends starting a TF and going up to XX or more" and that is where the negotiation starts but at least you both know if this is a big dollar or small dollar, or no dollar ball park you are playing it.

In many respects we are asking the same question just in a different manner and I am making it less personal in that it is what the job pays not what I think she is worth, although to a large extent they are one and the same in the end.
Jun 25 13 06:46 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Amul La La
Posts: 805
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom


I believe you need to do a lot more testing, with more up scale photographers, to get improved results, among other things >>> (Critique).


Anyone can charge a fee granted, but that doesn't mean anyone has to pay.


Charge what you see fit.


I personally would not pay you at this time, because you do not possess the qualities I require.


Generally the level of any given portfolio stipulates the level of (creatives) that can gain access to work with, granted I believe this is more true with photographers, Put simply A good photographer is more likely to work with a photogenic model that has under par images (because they can envisage how the model will look in their work, the model is generally part of the photographers vision, they see how the model fits), than a good model will work with a photographer that has under par images.
Jun 25 13 02:58 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Image K
Posts: 23,366
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


c_h_r_i_s wrote:

Shouldn't believe what photographers tell you.

Then she shouldn't believe that statement.

Jun 25 13 03:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Charlie-CNP
Posts: 2,620
New York, New York, US


Ash Photographic wrote:
You need to post in the Critique forum for an honest assessment of your portfolio, your look and your marketability.

^^ this... sorry, but I am going to honestly say that you are no where near a strong port. I would highly recommend to keep trading up with better photographers. If you do get offered paid assignments in the mean time, see what folks are offering for them in your local area. You'll know when you are ready because people will be asking you to shoot for rates much more frequently. good luck

Jun 25 13 03:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digitoxin
Posts: 13,343
Houston, Texas, US


What rate should you ask for?  $0

How can you change that?  Start by paying two or three very talented photographers who work with a talented team.  They will create images that might move you to the next level where you might be able to charge.

Of course, you can ignore my statements above.  If you do, simply stop doing any TFP work and require $40 per hour - no exceptions.  If work is rolling in increase your rate.  If you are getting no work, lower it and keep lowering it until you do start getting lots of work.   Once it gets back to zero before you get work, you might reach the same conclusion I reached above.
Jun 26 13 03:41 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
David Gee
Posts: 22
Cincinnati, Ohio, US


Marin Photography wrote:

I just disagree with this question. Why would you give that information? That's like playing poker and showing your cards. I would never answer that question. That defeats the purpose of negotiating.

Instead ask what they are willing to pay you...and you accept/decline/or negotiate further.

I agree, if you ask for a budget, it doesn't open a negotiation. Find an average of what others charge in your area and state that as an open. Something like: many models ask $X.oo for this type of work, how does that fit with what you were thinking. Then be open to discuss and negotiate. Choose a figure you are willing to work for and set that as your bottom line. Be ready to walk if they don't get there, just remember, the photographer isn't the enemy, they have a job to do and need to get paid also.

Jun 26 13 04:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Start a thread in Critique if you want an honest answer.





Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com
Jun 26 13 04:24 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mandara Sky
Posts: 28
Miami Beach, Florida, US


Little Miss BB wrote:

+1! Your portfolio isn't strong enough to charge people. Would you pay you?
From what I've seen, here are some things you should work on before considering charging:
- Stronger poses
- More involved/interesting facial expressions
- a more extensive wardrobe. I almost never shoot in the same outfit twice. It's expensive, but you get out what you put in.

Thank you for the suggestions! The only reason I have more than one shoot with the chainmaille (which is the outfit I assume you are talking about) is because I did a lot of shoots for that clothing designer.

Jun 27 13 04:45 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mandara Sky
Posts: 28
Miami Beach, Florida, US


nyk fury wrote:

i don't see evidence of that.

why? just because I choose not to post photos from every single shoot I've done?

Jun 27 13 04:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matthew Naglich
Posts: 26
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


Jun 27 13 04:51 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Matthew Naglich
Posts: 26
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US


When my models ask me what I pay models, I tell them that I can tell them only what my rates are.  If they tell me theirs, I'll tell them whether or not it's in the budget. When you go to the mall, stores tell you how much shoes cost and never ask how much you'll pay : )
Jun 27 13 04:53 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers