login info join!
Forums > General Industry > Half Naked Shots Search   Reply
123last
Model
Mekia Akins
Posts: 312
Arlington, Texas, US


Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.
Jul 08 13 08:11 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.

Because models ask me to!

And no, you don't have to get naked to be discovered, but at 5'1" it can certainly help...

Mekia Akins wrote:
What happened to Classy Standards.

You can hear lots of classy standards on Last FM smile




Just my $0.02

Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jul 08 13 08:14 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mekia Akins
Posts: 312
Arlington, Texas, US


Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model
Jul 08 13 08:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
B R U N E S C I
Posts: 25,319
Bath, England, United Kingdom


Mekia Akins wrote:
Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model

At 33 years of age and 5'1" I'm afraid nobody has any chance of becoming a catalogue model.

Sorry.




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jul 08 13 08:18 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mekia Akins
Posts: 312
Arlington, Texas, US


That Italian Guy wrote:

At 33 years of age and 5'1" I'm afraid nobody has any chance of becoming a catalogue model.

Sorry.




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Jul 08 13 08:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
K E E L I N G
Posts: 39,717
Peoria, Illinois, US


Everyone has their own definition of classy.  For instance you think what I do lacks class, while I think someone bitching about what I do lacks class.
Jul 08 13 08:21 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Mekia Akins
Posts: 312
Arlington, Texas, US


Well regardless of that IM NOT GIVING UP!!!
Jul 08 13 08:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
K E E L I N G
Posts: 39,717
Peoria, Illinois, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Well regardless of that IM NOT GIVING UP!!!

Good luck to you.  Keep us updated on your progress.

Jul 08 13 08:22 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Sirensong
Posts: 2,166
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom


Yeah!!
Give the word 'classy' a capital letter.
Its THAT important big_smile
Jul 08 13 08:26 am  Link  Quote 
Model
NicoleNudes
Posts: 3,729
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Because a lot of people on here shoot as a hobby and it's just something they want to shoot.

Just because people chose to shoot nudes does not make their work un-classy.
Jul 08 13 08:27 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
The Studio_1953
Posts: 62
Hyattsville, Maryland, US


A well done nude can have greater longevity than a clothed photograph. Because it's a nude does not make an image lack class. Realistically speaking, being 5'1'' will not get you into catalog model. You won't fit the sample sizes. However, modeling could be a good hobby for you, so long as your dreams are based in reality.
Jul 08 13 08:29 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Digital Czar
Posts: 933
Oak Park, Illinois, US


That Italian Guy wrote:

At 33 years of age and 5'1" I'm afraid nobody has any chance of becoming a catalogue model.

Sorry.




Ciao
Stefano

www.stefanobrunesci.com

Not necessarily true, but in this particular case it might help that she's in Dallas. That said you do need to have a source of clients that need catalog type work, like Kohl's, but they're in Milwaukee and Sears, who is in Chicago and others.

Jul 08 13 08:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Lynn Elizabeth
Posts: 1,336
Coral Springs, Florida, US


I shoot very classy nudes and half nudes that I am very proud of. Being open-minded goes a long way. Whether you choose to shoot them or not, don't judge others because they do.
Jul 08 13 08:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,079
Salem, Oregon, US


non-model women pay me to shoot them half-naked. they give the pictures as a gift to their significant others.

as for models, sometimes they're the ones asking for that. they have their reasons.

you often see models who say they will do "classy nudes" (playboy style although that style has changed over the years). so the word classy can be applied to nudes as well.

but there should be plenty of opportunities to do clothed shoots, at least on trade.
Jul 08 13 08:36 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Helios
Posts: 37
Tacoma, Washington, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.

You're beautiful with a great look. However, modeling just like photography is an overcrowded field. Everyone has had to adapt to stand out. Being nude or near nude for a model is one of few things a model can do to set herself out from the masses, particularly when a model's physique may not physically fit the stereotypical ideal of a "model" body. Furthermore, the definition of "classy standards" is subjective nowadays.

If you're not willing to compromise a little and you still want to model it may be a tough road but it's not impossible. It doesn't mean you have to be naked. However, it may mean you have to adjust your opinion and your definition "classy."

All the best!

Jul 08 13 08:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Gary Blanchette
Posts: 5,007
Irvine, California, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.

Technically you are half naked in the first image of your portfolio, (by some standards anyway).

Jul 08 13 08:47 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Nogawd Photography
Posts: 92
Cleveland, Ohio, US


Things like "tasteful" or "classy" can come across a few different ways to people - even offensive to some who do those kinds of shots.

I just simple pass on the model when I hear those things, but that's just me.
Jul 08 13 08:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Naughty Ties
Posts: 2,963
Riverview, Florida, US


Just curious OP, what's your definition of a "classy standard".

That was rhetorical really because what others think is classy you may not and vice versa.
Jul 08 13 08:52 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Kerrek
Posts: 1,351
Orlando, Florida, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.

I find it classless, rude, and ignorant that you'd suggest nudity (and partial nudity) is classless.

You only want to shoot what you deem "classy" work, but you're perfectly fine with classless behavior- your position is hypocritical and morally filthy.

Jul 08 13 08:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Helios
Posts: 37
Tacoma, Washington, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Well regardless of that IM NOT GIVING UP!!!

I totally respect your stance and opinion. If you feel that strongly then you should certainly stick to what you believe.

I'll share what one model that does clothed and non-erotic nude work told me. She said, "Doing nude work doesn't mean I only do nude. It means I do nude and clothed work. I get work from both. So when I'm approached by a client who wants to do a full spread of fashion, lingerie and boudoir they call me and recommend me first."

As a photographer and publisher, I tend to gravitate to models with lesser restrictions even if there is zero chance I'll ever use them as a nude or even a partially nude model. Why? because when I grab a deep plunging gown and or a backless high end designer dress I'm not subconsciously stressed about whether or not she's offended or might refuse to wear it because her lower back is exposed or if there's too much cleavage. The more we say we refuse to do something, the less sought after we become as models and photographers when there are literally millions of people that will do what we refuse to.

I wish you much success. You'll be fine but it may be a tough road for awhile.

Jul 08 13 09:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,571
Phoenix, Arizona, US


On Model Mayhem, 3 main reasons:

1. Because you girls have decided that the photographer is your customer and in order for us to justify paying you, nudes are the easiest for us to sell.

2. Because you ladies don't want to pay us to photograph you, and many of us shoot boring stuff and ugly people daily. So if we're gonna shoot for free*, we wanna shoot something fun. Shooting hot naked chicks is fun.

3. Because shooting hot naked chicks is the sole reason they got into this and it's a good way to get one's rocks off.
Jul 08 13 09:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
DMesser Photography
Posts: 1,288
Oceanside, California, US


Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
I shoot very classy nudes and half nudes that I am very proud of. Being open-minded goes a long way. Whether you choose to shoot them or not, don't judge others because they do.

I agree. Implied and nudes can be very classy shots.  I am on the other side of the camera and try to keep my shots classy whether my model is clothed or not.  It is too bad some models can't see the class of a well done nude, and others compare it to porn.

Jul 08 13 09:20 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Peter House
Posts: 221
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Half naked statues of Roman Gods are considered classical art, as are thousands of nude paintings from the Renaissance era. The human body has always been the subject of many artists.


Madonna said it best LOL



Peter House - Commercial Photographer
Jul 08 13 09:21 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
SME
Posts: 20,706
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US


John Jebbia wrote:
On Model Mayhem, 3 main reasons:

1. Because you girls have decided that the photographer is your customer and in order for us to justify paying you, nudes are the easiest for us to sell.

2. Because you ladies don't want to pay us to photograph you, and many of us shoot boring stuff and ugly people daily. So if we're gonna shoot for free*, we wanna shoot something fun. Shooting hot naked chicks is fun.

3. Because shooting hot naked chicks is the sole reason they got into this and it's a good way to get one's rocks off.

I'd add:

4.  Exhibiting art photographers often prefer figure work.

But yeah, that's mostly it.  For mainstream work such as catalog, there are agencies.  For all the rest of it...there's MM.  smile

Jul 08 13 09:31 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Michael Fryd
Posts: 3,249
Miami Beach, Florida, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model

Modeling is a crowded field.  Sticking to a specialty such as catalog modeling reduces your opportunities even further.

Generally, people shooting catalogs want a particular size/height model to wear the standard size items they have on hand.  If the model is not the standard size/height, then they need to go to extra work to bring in clothes to fit the model.  This makes finding catalog work a greater challenge for those who are not the standard size.

There is always the option of being a "parts" model.  i.e. they use only your hand to shoot a bracelet, or only your ear for an earring, but this is an even smaller field.


I am not saying that all models have to be the same size.  There are a number of different categories for models.  If you are larger than the typical catalog model, you can get work being a "plus size" model.  I recently shot a girl who was in the difficult range where she was too big to be a regular model, but too small for plus size catalog work.  Even the plus size catalogs are looking for a particular size/height model.

You say you are trying to break into the catalog market.  I am curious as to exactly what you are doing to overcome the challenge of not being a typical size or age?


Generally, when models need work, they branch out in multiple directions.  The advantage of shooting half naked, or fully naked is that there is a demand, and there is no clothing that will be the wrong size.

As to how it affects your modeling career, it all depends on your business strategy.  If you intend to be a supermodel, then you need to be careful as to what you shoot.  A supermodel has to be concerned about her public image.  If you want to be a working catalog model, it doesn't matter what the public thinks (they don't know who you are).  What really matters is your reputation for showing up on time, having a good attitude, and having the right look for the client.

I am curious as to what you mean by "classy standards" and what affect you think violating these standards will have on your career.

Jul 08 13 09:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
L Bass
Posts: 903
Nacogdoches, Texas, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model

Height WILL make a difference in your search for catalog work. Something else that could influence a potential client would be that your measurements and dress size are not posted. If you are indeed interested in pursuing clothed work exclusively, it would be good to know what size will fit you. (unless you are seeking the 'one-size-fits-all' lines of clothes)

Here's something else to think about in your pursuit of professional modeling work... if you must write in all caps, choose the words you wish to highlight carefully or you will come off as someone that might be a tad bit demanding and difficult to work with. And if you capitalize random words in a sentence (that ordinarily shouldn't be capitalized) it just doesn't look professional. Just a thought.

Jul 08 13 09:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
RKD Photographic
Posts: 3,255
Iserlohn, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.

There's a whole barrel-load of fail right there... sad

I think it's very classy denigrating models and photographers who choose to shoot nude and semi nude on a Site that caters to about 90% of that kind of work (at a rough guess)...

If you don't want to shoot in that style, fine - it's free-ish Country so I hear - but don't come here bad-mouthing those that do...

Jul 08 13 09:34 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
bill garofalo
Posts: 1
Deerfield Beach, Florida, US


The question really bothers me because it implies, that the nude body
is___what ?  dirty.  Well tell that to the great painters and sculptors in
the great museums of the world.  THAT IS WHAT THEY DREW AND CARVED.
The naked female form.  God's greatest gift to humanity.  Are you ashamed
of your body?  Then make it more beautiful through proper diet and excercise.   I wish I could post a photo of my first wife.  She was 4' 11'
but the most beautiful women I have ever seen.  There is nothing wrong
with a model posing nude.  It will free your soul
Bill Garofalo
Jul 08 13 09:48 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Patrick Walberg
Posts: 41,715
Salinas, California, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.

You call it "naked" but I call them nudes.  Not all photographers shoot nudes either.   

Nudes have been a part of art and culture since humans could first paint or draw pictures.  There are thousands of years worth of nudes in the art world.   Early photography included nudes as an art form.  Check out the Weston families work ... google Edward Weston photography.  But what the heck ... Edward made vegetables look erotic and intersting!  lol

Now most photographers here on this site are not shooting art nudes.  So I am going to believe that you are talking about glamor nudes, and implied nudity, not necessarily "art."  Well it is a fact that sexier images sell product by grabbing the eye.   Sometimes a headshot can be glamorous, sometimes you've got to show skin ... but I like to shoot images that are thought to be "sexy!"

Jul 08 13 09:54 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Koryn
Posts: 34,682
Boston, Massachusetts, US


You have a lot to learn, my friend.
Jul 08 13 10:08 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JBerman Photography
Posts: 1,071
New York, New York, US


they don't have to be Half Naked...they can be Half Dressed.
Jul 08 13 10:10 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Swank Photography
Posts: 18,967
Key West, Florida, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model

In modeling your height/age/looks matter overall matters 100%.

As for your earlier post about naked and half naked modeling...photographers don't demand it, but it does sell.

And not for nothing here...but if you are under 5'7, in many cases, half nude, full nude might actually help you go alittle further down the road (say like glamour modeling, promotional shoots/events/etc.).

At 5'1 and your age...you really won't be making it as a Cataloug model...or in many areas of modeling for that matter simply because of your height and age.

AND...FYI there is zero wrong with nude modeling. There are numerous fine art nudes on here and in the art world itself.

Educate yourself before airing your opinion based on lack of knowledge.

Jul 08 13 10:12 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Doug Jantz
Posts: 4,021
Tulsa, Oklahoma, US


Damn, all these years I thought Marilyn Monroe was classy.  wink
Jul 08 13 10:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Orca Bay Images
Posts: 31,706
Lodi, California, US


Mekia,
If you don't want to show skin, don't. Just don't vilify those models who do.
Jul 08 13 10:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
AJScalzitti
Posts: 11,605
Atlanta, Georgia, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model

Where did you get that idea?

Jul 08 13 10:32 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nyk fury
Posts: 2,876
Port Townsend, Washington, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Why do Photographers always want to take Naked or Half Naked Shots of Models??and Why do you have to be.that way to be discovered or get in Magazines.What happened to Classy Standards.

models in godawful ugly clothing is classy?

Jul 08 13 10:39 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Rock Victorian
Posts: 139
Norfolk, Virginia, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
Im not trying to be a SuperModel just an Catalouge Model,and Height shouldn't matter with being a Catalouge Model

I'm not sure that you understand how things work. Height and other stats is relevant in most forms of modeling.

When I modeled (years ago) I did art nudes. My standards are not inferior to yours, or anyone else who opts to not pose nude.

Jul 08 13 10:47 am  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
Vincent Wolff
Posts: 2,835
Chicago, Illinois, US


Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
I shoot very classy nudes and half nudes that I am very proud of. Being open-minded goes a long way. Whether you choose to shoot them or not, don't judge others because they do.

+1

The female figure is God's greatest creation.  It has been immortalized in art for thousands of years.  'nuff said.

Class is determined by the individual, and the individual has the choice whether to view it or not

Jul 08 13 10:50 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
JAE
Posts: 2,041
West Chester, Pennsylvania, US


Agreed.  People that shoot nudes are weird.
Jul 08 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Select Models
Posts: 35,153
Upland, California, US


Mekia Akins wrote:
What happened to Classy Standards.

What exactly is a 'Classy Standard'?... couldn't find it anywhere on Wikipedia... hmm

Jul 08 13 10:58 am  Link  Quote 
123last   Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers