login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Plucking a Pelican Search   Reply
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,613
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Besides saving in case you ever change your mind and need to fill in holes, has anyone found a good use for plucked foam? It's too bad it's not white. Could make a decent pedestal for small product photography.
Aug 24 13 06:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Blue Cube Imaging
Posts: 11,243
Ashland, Oregon, US


My kids used mine as paint brushes.

But, I've also used it to create movable dividers for smaller pieces of gear and have (attempted) glued in back into place.
Aug 24 13 06:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NewBoldPhoto
Posts: 4,897
PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US


John Jebbia wrote:
Besides saving in case you ever change your mind and need to fill in holes, has anyone found a good use for plucked foam? It's too bad it's not white. Could make a decent pedestal for small product photography.

John I'm just curious how you would reinstall the plucked foam?

Aug 24 13 06:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,613
Phoenix, Arizona, US


NewBoldPhoto wrote:
John I'm just curious how you would reinstall the plucked foam?

You can't attach it back.. but you can take plucked blocks and fill in gaps if you need to. My first Pelican I plucked room for all of my cameras, flashes and lenses. Then I bought 2 more and decided to dedicate one to lenses and the other to things like flashes and meters and things like that. I had saved the foam from the first one and used it to fill the case that was now dedicated to bodies.

Aug 24 13 06:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ForeverFotos
Posts: 6,621
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


I live on the gulf coast, and I'm used to seeing this kind of pelican....

http://www.asknature.org/images/uploads/strategy/4aee38372481e7ca371f942199f6464d/pelican_feature.jpg

and this kind of pelican

http://rarenorm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/New-Orleans-Pelicans-2-309x380.jpg


but I can guarantee that I've never tried to pluck either kind of pelican. I'm confused.
Aug 24 13 06:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,613
Phoenix, Arizona, US


Blue Cube Imaging wrote:
My kids used mine as paint brushes.

But, I've also used it to create movable dividers for smaller pieces of gear and have (attempted) glued in back into place.

I tried gluing mine back into place also. The glue melted the foam.

Aug 24 13 07:16 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,613
Phoenix, Arizona, US


ForeverFotos wrote:
I live on the gulf coast, and I'm used to seeing this kind of pelican....

http://www.asknature.org/images/uploads/strategy/4aee38372481e7ca371f942199f6464d/pelican_feature.jpg

Have you ever tried transporting your camera gear in one of those?

ForeverFotos wrote:
and this kind of pelican

http://rarenorm.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/New-Orleans-Pelicans-2-309x380.jpg


but I can guarantee that I've never tried to pluck either kind of pelican. I'm confused.

And this isn't a real Pelican. Real Pelicans don't have unibrows.

Aug 24 13 07:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ForeverFotos
Posts: 6,621
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


John Jebbia wrote:
And this isn't a real Pelican. Real Pelicans don't have unibrows.

Not fair, his stylist was off duty on picture day tongue

Aug 24 13 07:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,613
Phoenix, Arizona, US


ForeverFotos wrote:
Not fair, his stylist was off duty on picture day tongue

You know.. I don't think I've ever seen a black dude with a unibrow before.

Aug 24 13 07:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
NewBoldPhoto
Posts: 4,897
PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US


John Jebbia wrote:
Have you ever tried transporting your camera gear in one of those?

Absolute havoc at the TSA screening.

John Jebbia wrote:

I tried gluing mine back into place also. The glue melted the foam.

This might work-
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31KCpWuDGlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but you can buy replacement foam

Aug 24 13 07:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ForeverFotos
Posts: 6,621
Indianapolis, Indiana, US


ForeverFotos wrote:
Not fair, his stylist was off duty on picture day tongue
John Jebbia wrote:
You know.. I don't think I've ever seen a black dude with a unibrow before.

http://i.qkme.me/3olzr4.jpg

Aug 24 13 07:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Jebbia
Posts: 27,613
Phoenix, Arizona, US


So has anyone else found a good use for the foam? I have 2 bags of it.
Aug 24 13 08:22 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Lynch
Posts: 2,483
Bowie, Maryland, US


John Jebbia wrote:
I tried gluing mine back into place also. The glue melted the foam.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/inde … nding-foam

Aug 25 13 01:09 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Lynch
Posts: 2,483
Bowie, Maryland, US


John Jebbia wrote:
So has anyone else found a good use for the foam? I have 2 bags of it.

I just toss it.  I only pluck foam for cases that I don't expect to reconfigure for a very long time, like the one that holds my portable printer.  If I wind up re-purposing that case I will buy a new appropriate interior.  All the rest have the padded dividers that attach with Velcro.

Aug 25 13 01:39 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
TA Craft Photography
Posts: 2,875
Bristol, England, United Kingdom


John Jebbia wrote:
Besides saving in case you ever change your mind and need to fill in holes, has anyone found a good use for plucked foam? It's too bad it's not white. Could make a decent pedestal for small product photography.

I used to keep stuff like that use as packaging in parcels etc. good for ensuring your expensive gear does not get damaged in the mail.

T

Aug 25 13 01:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Hikari Tech Photography
Posts: 791
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada


John Jebbia wrote:
So has anyone else found a good use for the foam? I have 2 bags of it.

1650's, and I have four of them, give you tons of foam goose turds which it sounds like in you case (haha I made a pun hmm ) will be able to fill a couple of cushions. Hey why not and you might even need them cushions to save your knees when shooting in awkward positions.

Aug 25 13 02:04 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply