login info join!
Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Best Gel Eyeliner? Search   Reply
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


My favourite gel liner by Essence has sadly been discontinued. It knocks the socks off of MAC and Bobbi Brown and at a fraction of the price I was happy living with that. I've tried the Maybeline one but it wasn't nearly as black, creamy or fast drying. Does anyone else have any other options? It really needs to be one that sets because I like to double them up as bases.
Sep 02 13 12:05 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ArtistryImage
Posts: 2,706
Washington, District of Columbia, US


ammyranth wrote:
Gel Eyeliner?  ...I've tried the Maybeline one but it wasn't nearly as black, creamy or fast drying...

Strange, I switched over to their Lasting Drama by EyeStudio over a year ago... it works for me smile   absolutely my fav gel liner now... highly effective for camouflaging band lash seams...

Sep 02 13 07:21 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
June Long
Posts: 52
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom


Ditto with Maybelline Lasting Drama- love it!!  Will never buy Mac or BB again!
Sep 02 13 08:39 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


I did like Lasting Drama but compared to the Essence one it just wasn't as good, oh well you win some you lose some I guess! I do have to say the brush that comes with it makes an awesome lip brush.
Sep 02 13 04:09 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Luxe Looks April
Posts: 43
Los Angeles, California, US


ammyranth wrote:
My favourite gel liner by Essence has sadly been discontinued.

I just picked some up today at Walgreens. Saw it at Ulta yesterday too, and it looks like they sell it on their website: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/product … d=cat80042

ETA: Good grief, sorry, didn't notice you were in Australia. Sadly, they don't ship internationally.

Sep 02 13 08:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Lauren Reynolds Makeup
Posts: 282
London, England, United Kingdom


I swear by the L'Oreal gel liner - it's absolutely faultless and affordable. Very black, buttery texture, doesn't budge or transfer, dries in a reasonable time.
Sep 02 13 08:45 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
LC Makeup and Styling
Posts: 90
Perth, Western Australia, Australia


Ben Nye liners from CRC are gorgeous!
Sep 02 13 09:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


LR MUA wrote:
I swear by the L'Oreal gel liner - it's absolutely faultless and affordable. Very black, buttery texture, doesn't budge or transfer, dries in a reasonable time.

Thankyou! I will totally try it out smile

Sep 02 13 09:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


LC Makeup and Styling wrote:
Ben Nye liners from CRC are gorgeous!

Awesome, next order I do I'll make sure to include it smile

Sep 02 13 09:43 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Luxe Looks April wrote:

I just picked some up today at Walgreens. Saw it at Ulta yesterday too, and it looks like they sell it on their website: http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/product … d=cat80042

ETA: Good grief, sorry, didn't notice you were in Australia. Sadly, they don't ship internationally.

Haha, that's ok, I just managed to purchase two off ebay, sadly it cost me $30 but still worth it in my opinion. I emailed essence directly a week or so ago asking if they would ship me some, apparently they have no stock left in their warehouse.

Sep 02 13 09:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Lauren Reynolds Makeup
Posts: 282
London, England, United Kingdom


ammyranth wrote:

Haha, that's ok, I just managed to purchase two off ebay, sadly it cost me $30 but still worth it in my opinion. I emailed essence directly a week or so ago asking if they would ship me some, apparently they have no stock left in their warehouse.

Just a pointer, obviously it's fine if the product is recently discontinued, but beware that doing this in the future is likely to only get you expired or just old products (if they're genuine at all). Applying out-of-date/old eyeliners to clients' eyes would be risking their health I'm sure your aware smile

I just think when people buy MAC lipsticks which have been discontinued for like, 2 years on eBay - EURGH!

Sep 03 13 02:31 am  Link  Quote 
Model
LouLou27
Posts: 4
Erie, Pennsylvania, US


This is for my personal use but I love the gel liner by Physicians Formula. When I've bought it in stores, it has come with two stacked together, brown and black. It goes on smoothly, doesn't crease or smudge, and lasts until you wash it off vigorously!
Sep 03 13 02:44 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Sandy CLA
Posts: 15
Los Angeles, California, US


My fav is MUFE Aqua Black
Sep 03 13 10:34 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Eloise Wilson MUA
Posts: 6
Peterborough, England, United Kingdom


I personally really love using Collection's gel liner. It's highly pigmented and stays on for hours smile
Sep 03 13 12:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


LR MUA wrote:
Just a pointer, obviously it's fine if the product is recently discontinued, but beware that doing this in the future is likely to only get you expired or just old products (if they're genuine at all). Applying out-of-date/old eyeliners to clients' eyes would be risking their health I'm sure your aware smile

I just think when people buy MAC lipsticks which have been discontinued for like, 2 years on eBay - EURGH!

All good! Thanks for the pointer, i'm also a bit grossed out by people who buy out of date products. It's pretty common in Aus too because everything is twice the price and/or not available here so people buy off strawberrynet etc who don't have a good reputation when it comes to selling expired products!

Personally I never, ever buy any brands like MAC anywhere except from a MAC store, too many fakes out there. Luckily essence is a really cheap brand and I totally doubt anyone would bother making any fakes haha. I'm hoping the liners are still in date when I get them, if not guess they will just go in the bin. Still, worth the risk because I love them so!

Sep 03 13 03:59 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Eloise Wilson MUA wrote:
I personally really love using Collection's gel liner. It's highly pigmented and stays on for hours smile

Thankyou, I wish Collection was sold in Aus, they used to years ago but it just vanished *dreams of lasting perfection concealer*

Sep 03 13 04:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


LouLou27 wrote:
This is for my personal use but I love the gel liner by Physicians Formula. When I've bought it in stores, it has come with two stacked together, brown and black. It goes on smoothly, doesn't crease or smudge, and lasts until you wash it off vigorously!

Oh I think i've seen a review of it before, will totally check that one out thanks!

Sep 03 13 04:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Sarah Zul
Posts: 43
Singapore, Singapore, Singapore


Have you tried the gel liner by Catrice, it's an European brand as well. I love the essence, I'm still able to find it here in Singapore. I hope it's not discontinued for real.
Sep 03 13 11:34 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
MUA Janine
Posts: 196
Oakland, California, US


Bobbi Brown's gel liners are the best on the market. Hands. Down.
Sep 04 13 10:27 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Cody Park
Posts: 2
Las Vegas, Nevada, US


I like to use the MAC Chromaline in Black Black, It's much more opaque and inky black than fluidline, and it's nearly twice the quantity for only slightly more.
Sep 12 13 01:31 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
ammyranth
Posts: 22
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia


Cody Park wrote:
I like to use the MAC Chromaline in Black Black, It's much more opaque and inky black than fluidline, and it's nearly twice the quantity for only slightly more.

oh wow i've never even heard of these before, there are some amazing colours but so weird that none of them but the black and white seem to be eye safe. thanks heaps i'm definitely taking a visit to our pro store here in adelaide smile

Sep 12 13 04:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Ashley Murray
Posts: 45
Ocala, Florida, US


I've used Mac and others as well my favorite is by wet n wild best $2 investment
Sep 16 13 10:23 am  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
Veronica Fensel
Posts: 2
Houston, Texas, US


Ashley Murray  wrote:
I've used Mac and others as well my favorite is by wet n wild best $2 investment

I have to say I love the wet n wild one!

Sep 16 13 01:48 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
KhaDijah
Posts: 4
Liverpool, New York, US


I love Elf's gel liner. Mac's fluid is good too. I tried wet and wild's and i didn't like it, it dried out really fast.
Sep 21 13 06:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Makeup Artist
boy does makeup
Posts: 227
Atlanta, Georgia, US


I really like 'Starry Eyes' Gel liner... I get them from a local strip mall beauty store. I use the brown, and the black... love it.
Sep 23 13 12:15 pm  Link  Quote 
Hair Stylist
Kay Barney
Posts: 10
Arlington, Texas, US


If you're in Australia- check out Napoleon Perdis China Doll Eyeliner.
It's an Australian based makeup company and the liner comes in multiple colors and is NO joke. I use it for my photo shoots and prefer it over MAC
Sep 24 13 02:15 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers