login info join!
Forums > Critique > Should The Red Go? Search   Reply
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Not sure why I'm actually posting this as I can pretty much imagine the type of response I'll get. But here goes:

Yes my hair is red, it's bright red. It stands out (good or bad) and I'm noticed (good or bad). My question is, should I kill the red and go back to dull dark brown?

Before you ask I'm focusing on glamour modeling but I'm also interested in other genres as well.
Sep 10 13 03:32 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
E L I N
Posts: 199
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


Go back to brown! And if you want to change up your look, buy a red wig instead. Your look will be much more versatile.
Sep 10 13 03:35 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Poulsons Photography
Posts: 4,438
Duchesne, Utah, US


ELIN makes a good point.  However, I personally would shoot you because of the RED.  It stands out and is different.  I wish you lived closer.  So my opinion is keep it!
Sep 10 13 03:36 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Eugenya
Posts: 1,054
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


I like the red.  I think you should keep it.  I also think you would be happier with the red hair.  I just get that impression.
Sep 10 13 03:40 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


E L I N wrote:
Go back to brown! And if you want to change up your look, buy a red wig instead. Your look will be much more versatile.

Can't I just buy a brown wig?

Sep 10 13 03:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Artist/Painter
MainePaintah
Posts: 1,703
Saco, Maine, US


While (again) E L I N makes a good point, UNIQUE is also good. Look at the second painting in my port. I LOVED painting that neon orange hair!
Sep 10 13 03:41 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
E L I N
Posts: 199
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


Danielle Reid wrote:

Can't I just buy a brown wig?

You could, but your natural look should be, well, natural. IMO.

Sep 10 13 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
chasingKelly
Posts: 95
Stanton, California, US


Or what about going blonde? Like beyonce's color?
Sep 10 13 03:44 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Poulsons Photography wrote:
ELIN makes a good point.  However, I personally would shoot you because of the RED.  It stands out and is different.  I wish you lived closer.  So my opinion is keep it!

Thanks for the response, Poulsons.

I get that from some photographers saying I stand out BECAUSE it's red. I only asked because once again I got a message saying "You should go back brown, the red isn't working...blah blah".

Maybe I'll make a trip out to Utah next spring. I need to work more out West anyway.

Eugenya wrote:
I like the red.  I think you should keep it.  I also think you would be happier with the red hair.  I just get that impression.

I'm VERY happy with the red. This may be silly, but it gives me confidence. I went back to dark brown last fall and was highly upset at the person that asked me to do it. Said person even mentioned I look better with the red.

Thanks for the response smile

Sep 10 13 03:47 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


E L I N wrote:

You could, but your natural look should be, well, natural. IMO.

I understand what you mean. Natural should be natural.

Does it count that the wig I'm interested in was cut from the head of virgins in Brazil? 100% natural besides the wig cap. (part of that is a joke, btw)

Sep 10 13 03:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
E L I N
Posts: 199
Montreal, Quebec, Canada


Danielle Reid wrote:

Poulsons Photography wrote:
ELIN makes a good point.  However, I personally would shoot you because of the RED.  It stands out and is different.  I wish you lived closer.  So my opinion is keep it!

Thanks for the response, Poulsons.

I get that from some photographers saying I stand out BECAUSE it's red. I only asked because once again I got a message saying "You should go back brown, the red isn't working...blah blah".

Maybe I'll make a trip out to Utah next spring. I need to work more out West anyway.

I'm VERY happy with the red. This may be silly, but it gives me confidence. I went back to dark brown last fall and was highly upset at the person that asked me to do it. Said person even mentioned I look better with the red.

Thanks for the response smile

If you are happier with it stay red! And buy wigs for people who would prefer a more natural look. Don't change your hair just because of other people. You need to do it because YOU want to do it.

Sep 10 13 03:51 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Magic Forests
Posts: 530
Pleasant Hill, California, US


I think the bright red hair makes your look kind of interesting. I've seen some black girls with red hair like yours and not everyone can pull it off well. If it makes you feel happy and confident, I personally would not change it for the world!
Sep 10 13 03:52 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


chasingKelly wrote:
Or what about going blonde? Like beyonce's color?

Do you think I'd look good golden blonde? Might be another choice for a wig.

Sep 10 13 04:02 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


E L I N wrote:

If you are happier with it stay red! And buy wigs for people who would prefer a more natural look. Don't change your hair just because of other people. You need to do it because YOU want to do it.

Thanks

I've been under the impression from reading some other posts in the forums that as a model I need to conform in order to be accepted.

Sep 10 13 04:04 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
sasweets
Posts: 404
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada


Danielle Reid wrote:

Thanks

I've been under the impression from reading some other posts in the forums that as a model I need to conform in order to be accepted.

Nope. You just need to find what works for you. Or I'd have long hair right now. XDD Too many girls have that so I'm glad my hairs cut. The red makes you unique, you just have to learn how to style it.

Sep 10 13 04:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
GingerMuse
Posts: 369
STUDIO CITY, California, US


E L I N wrote:
Go back to brown! And if you want to change up your look, buy a red wig instead. Your look will be much more versatile.

unless you're maybe planning on being an ALT model, I'd suggest going back to a more natural color and then having some wigs with fun colors. I think you would potentially get more work that way.

Sep 10 13 04:20 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


This is me with natural hair (warning, bad webcam pic).
http://i40.tinypic.com/oh8vw5.png
Sep 10 13 04:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


GingerMuse wrote:

unless you're maybe planning on being an ALT model, I'd suggest going back to a more natural color and then having some wigs with fun colors. I think you would potentially get more work that way.

I've thought about ALT modeling. But that has so many levels that you really can't put a label to it.

Sep 10 13 04:54 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Tiffany_B
Posts: 1,324
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US


I think for more urban glamor and Alt modeling that your red hair should stay, it looks good on you and serves to help you stand out in a positive way. Are there going to be photographers who prefer a more natural look? Of course. But if you really want to shoot with them that's what wigs are for. And there are some amazing and affordable wigs out there that will photograph well and the more of them you can pull off, the more of a draw you'll likely be for prospective photographers.

About a year back I worked with an amazing model with hair your color who has an assortment of wigs that she's willing to bring if requested and she posts images of her look in them on her page (PM me and I'll send you her link).

I disagree that your natural hair has to be a natural color and for a model I think that you're natural hair needs to be the hair that you're doing the majority of your shoots with, if for you that's red then so be it. By the way, you don't look bad with the brown hair but it's definitely less memorable
Sep 10 13 05:29 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
chasingKelly
Posts: 95
Stanton, California, US


Danielle Reid wrote:

Do you think I'd look good golden blonde? Might be another choice for a wig.

Yes! I think you have a nice complexion.. but blonde can be tricky as there are many shades of it... definitely could just be an option for a wig though!

Sep 10 13 09:28 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Tiffany_B wrote:
I think for more urban glamor and Alt modeling that your red hair should stay, it looks good on you and serves to help you stand out in a positive way. Are there going to be photographers who prefer a more natural look? Of course. But if you really want to shoot with them that's what wigs are for. And there are some amazing and affordable wigs out there that will photograph well and the more of them you can pull off, the more of a draw you'll likely be for prospective photographers.

About a year back I worked with an amazing model with hair your color who has an assortment of wigs that she's willing to bring if requested and she posts images of her look in them on her page (PM me and I'll send you her link).

I disagree that your natural hair has to be a natural color and for a model I think that you're natural hair needs to be the hair that you're doing the majority of your shoots with, if for you that's red then so be it. By the way, you don't look bad with the brown hair but it's definitely less memorable

I think I do better in glamour and would like to do Alt modeling. I do need to get the wig I want and get some shots, even if it's just polaroids

Sep 11 13 01:12 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


chasingKelly wrote:

Yes! I think you have a nice complexion.. but blonde can be tricky as there are many shades of it... definitely could just be an option for a wig though!

I just might do that. At least go to the Wig Store and play around a bit.

Sep 11 13 01:15 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
C h a r l e s D
Posts: 9,304
Los Angeles, California, US


Gosh, the red looks fine to me.  I really doubt blond would be a good color, any shade.
Sep 11 13 10:07 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Thanks for all the responses. I think I know what I'm going to do now, but of course others can chime in as well.
Sep 11 13 02:01 pm  Link  Quote 
Wardrobe Stylist
Alannah Jones Styling
Posts: 915
Long Beach, California, US


Danielle Reid wrote:
This is me with natural hair (warning, bad webcam pic).
http://i40.tinypic.com/oh8vw5.png

kinda irrelevant, but you're adorable!!

Sep 12 13 02:23 am  Link  Quote 
Model
UGLY
Posts: 567
London, England, United Kingdom


Generally i hate that bright bright candy red coloured hair but
on you it actually really suits !

on the other hand maybe if you went blonde as previously suggested
that would look good  , or maybe even deep red - something less bright
slightly less Alt ,  more natural/ mainstream glamour look ?
Sep 12 13 02:35 am  Link  Quote 
Model
C a m i l a
Posts: 119
Austin, Texas, US


I think you should stick to the red, I don't think blonde will look as good as the red IMO. But this is your choice so whatever you decide. But you can get different shade wigs just to see what fits and play around with them on shoots.
Sep 12 13 08:31 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Model
Rockabella
Posts: 549
Tarpon Springs, Florida, US


No stick with red,
anyone can be brunette, keep the red while you can!
My hair has been every color I can think of. I only dyed it back because of work.
Only, I suggest maybe a deeper blood red..
Sep 12 13 09:49 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Vintagevista
Posts: 10,766
Sun City, California, US


Red was fine with me - it makes you stand out. 

But anybody can stand out in bright red hair - your personality is what seals the deal. smile  I think you'd have fun and do well with about any color hair.

borat
Sep 12 13 10:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Alannah Jones Styling wrote:

kinda irrelevant, but you're adorable!!

smile Thanks!

Sep 13 13 01:39 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


Apple -Snow  wrote:
Generally i hate that bright bright candy red coloured hair but
on you it actually really suits !

on the other hand maybe if you went blonde as previously suggested
that would look good  , or maybe even deep red - something less bright
slightly less Alt ,  more natural/ mainstream glamour look ?

You mean like a ginger type red? Could be doable. I'm actually about to re-color my hair this weekend (red hair fades FAST!!). Might experiment with the shade.

Also, I'm really thinking about getting that blonde wig. I need to get to the wig store and try some on. Maybe snap a few test photos with my phone for reference.

Sep 13 13 01:41 am  Link  Quote 
Model
Danielle Reid
Posts: 4,018
Little Rock, Arkansas, US


C a m i l a wrote:
I think you should stick to the red, I don't think blonde will look as good as the red IMO. But this is your choice so whatever you decide. But you can get different shade wigs just to see what fits and play around with them on shoots.

Thanks, I might end up with a ton of wigs of different shades haha

s c i a t h wrote:
No stick with red,
anyone can be brunette, keep the red while you can!
My hair has been every color I can think of. I only dyed it back because of work.
Only, I suggest maybe a deeper blood red..

I plan to keep it as long as possible, just wish my roots wouldn't turn a funky orange color whenever I wash my hair.

Vintagevista wrote:
Red was fine with me - it makes you stand out. 

But anybody can stand out in bright red hair - your personality is what seals the deal. smile  I think you'd have fun and do well with about any color hair.

borat

My hair was blue for like a day. I quickly washed it out after I freaked out my roommate.

Think I might go hot pink pig tails next.

Sep 13 13 01:46 am  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply



main | browse | casting/travel | forums | shout box | help | advertising | contests | share | join the mayhem

more modelmayhem on: | | | edu

©2006-2014 ModelMayhem.com. All Rights Reserved.
MODEL MAYHEM is a registered trademark.
Toggle Worksafe Mode: Off | On
Terms | Privacy | Careers