login info join!
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > No iphone threads? Search   Reply
first1234567last
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,649
Orlando, Florida, US


Here's some musings of mine.

First, it's been a long time since the stock price of a company truly reflects ANYTHING except huge trading habits of megabanks and emotional momentum of the rest of the people.  So let's put that away.  I've watched Apple stock for a very long time, and for whatever reason, the stock always seems to take a hit after a product announcement.  Even when the iPad was announced, I think the stock went down that week.

Second, I'm so tired of hearing the Android/Windows crowd saying contradictory things such as:
The iPhone is the most popular phone (when it is) because of all the iSheep buying whatever Steve Jobs/Jony Ive craps out.

The iPhone is not the most popular phone(when it isn't) because it's a piece of overpriced crap and people are finally waking up.

Apple sucks because it's a dumbed down and underpowered device that the [insert "better" phone here] destroys in performance/storage/options/size.... pick the ONE that this chosen device actually is better at.

I can easily transfer my phone to a Galaxy S4... all I have to do is download a program to my PC, hook up my existing phone to my computer, copy over the data, and then plug in my S4 to the computer and the program will transfer and organize all my stuff into my new phone!!!  Piece of cake.  --- Oh... your new iPhone will do that over the cloud without doing anything at all?  damn.

I can easily add 32gigs of storage onto my android device for more storage.  You have to spend $200 more bucks to get that much more storage when you buy a new iPhone.  -- Or... yaknow... use the iCloud.

Apple thinks they invent every new technology they steal from Android phones and add to their iPhone. 
Apple is a bunch of asshole money whores because they actually SUED to protect the shape of the phone.  Like they invented the rounded corner rectangle.

Apple doesn't have any viruses because no one bothers to write malware for that crappy platform. 
Apple's system is shit because it's completely closed and you can't get into it and muck around and change every little things. 

Oops, I just rooted my Android phone.
Oops, I just bricked my iPhone by Jailbreaking it wrong.

How stupid to put glass on the front and back of a phone (look at my awesome plastic Android phone!)




Look.  I don't care what kind of phone you buy.  Why do you care so much what phone I buy or what Apple does... or how many iSheep stand in line to buy the next new phone just because it has an apple logo on it?

I will buy the new 5s because I'm due for an upgrade in my AT&T schedule.  And because I have an Applecentric entertainment environment in my home.  I freely admit that some of the Android phones are attractive.  The Maxx has a 48 hour battery life.  The S4 has some neat features and it's huge screen is pretty.  But the iPhone is the one that fits best into the rest of my life.

And for a device that I use dozens of times every day, I think that it should integrate as seamlessly as possible into my life.  Don't you?
Sep 12 13 05:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Art Silva
Posts: 9,422
Santa Barbara, California, US


Good Egg Productions wrote:
Here's some musings of mine.

First, it's been a long time since the stock price of a company truly reflects ANYTHING except huge trading habits of megabanks and emotional momentum of the rest of the people.  So let's put that away.  I've watched Apple stock for a very long time, and for whatever reason, the stock always seems to take a hit after a product announcement.  Even when the iPad was announced, I think the stock went down that week.

Second, I'm so tired of hearing the Android/Windows crowd saying contradictory things such as:
The iPhone is the most popular phone (when it is) because of all the iSheep buying whatever Steve Jobs/Jony Ive craps out.

The iPhone is not the most popular phone(when it isn't) because it's a piece of overpriced crap and people are finally waking up.

Apple sucks because it's a dumbed down and underpowered device that the [insert "better" phone here] destroys in performance/storage/options/size.... pick the ONE that this chosen device actually is better at.

I can easily transfer my phone to a Galaxy S4... all I have to do is download a program to my PC, hook up my existing phone to my computer, copy over the data, and then plug in my S4 to the computer and the program will transfer and organize all my stuff into my new phone!!!  Piece of cake.  --- Oh... your new iPhone will do that over the cloud without doing anything at all?  damn.

I can easily add 32gigs of storage onto my android device for more storage.  You have to spend $200 more bucks to get that much more storage when you buy a new iPhone.  -- Or... yaknow... use the iCloud.

Apple thinks they invent every new technology they steal from Android phones and add to their iPhone. 
Apple is a bunch of asshole money whores because they actually SUED to protect the shape of the phone.  Like they invented the rounded corner rectangle.

Apple doesn't have any viruses because no one bothers to write malware for that crappy platform. 
Apple's system is shit because it's completely closed and you can't get into it and muck around and change every little things. 

Oops, I just rooted my Android phone.
Oops, I just bricked my iPhone by Jailbreaking it wrong.

How stupid to put glass on the front and back of a phone (look at my awesome plastic Android phone!)




Look.  I don't care what kind of phone you buy.  Why do you care so much what phone I buy or what Apple does... or how many iSheep stand in line to buy the next new phone just because it has an apple logo on it?

I will buy the new 5s because I'm due for an upgrade in my AT&T schedule.  And because I have an Applecentric entertainment environment in my home.  I freely admit that some of the Android phones are attractive.  The Maxx has a 48 hour battery life.  The S4 has some neat features and it's huge screen is pretty.  But the iPhone is the one that fits best into the rest of my life.

And for a device that I use dozens of times every day, I think that it should integrate as seamlessly as possible into my life.  Don't you?

Well said!!!

Sep 12 13 07:33 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee K
Posts: 2,411
Palatine, Illinois, US


The only thing one can get out of this thread is how time and time again GK continues to have nothing better to do than go out of his way to express his disapproval for a product he has an obvious completely blind hate for.

I laughed out loud at most of his posts, but some others as well.

Just like the post about how iPhones screens are smaller and lower resolution than the others.

Actually apple made high dpi screens a standard, and they're STILL doing them better than anyone else.  NOT ONE Android phone has as accurate of a screen as the iPhone 4 even.  And the 5 just improves upon that. 

Every single other anti Apple post can be turned to dust by anyone who actually understands these devices (iOS and Android) and has extensive real world use of BOTH.  I won't waste my time though because their decisions have been made up.

Either way, when it all comes down to it, Android users don't use their phones NEARLY as much as iPhone users and it has been proven.   I wonder why.

(cue the unintelligent "because iPhones are owned by teens who play candy crush all day" and other mindless comments)

Love you, GK.
Sep 12 13 10:30 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nwprophoto
Posts: 13,914
Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines


Video from the 5S. Did they have to make it all "artsy" to be palatable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … iL5ceRxp4A
Sep 12 13 10:38 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee K
Posts: 2,411
Palatine, Illinois, US


nwprophoto wrote:
Video from the 5S. Did they have to make it all "artsy" to be palatable?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … iL5ceRxp4A

Have you been watching ANY videos lately, or looking in any magazines?  The effects they applied has nothing to do with the fact that it was shot on an iPhone.

How unbelievable it looks might though.  It's pretty crazy that it came from a phone.  I bet it would fool a lot of people.  With the exception of someone like GK, because he obviously sees what no one else does, and that is that the video looks terrible.  Either that, or a phone being able to take video is "stupid anyway."  I may be wrong, but those are just my guesses.

Sep 12 13 10:42 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Lynch
Posts: 2,484
Bowie, Maryland, US


Jules NYC wrote:
I have the 4S but wish I had the 5 so I can surf the web and talk simultaneously.

The speed and all that, very similar.
I check all tech reviews.

Christopher Hartman wrote:
You can do that with the 4s as well if you have T-Mobile or AT&T.

If you have Verizon or Sprint...I do not believe the iPhone 5 or 5s will allow you to talk and surf at the same time.

The 5 definitely does not allow simultaneous voice and data on Verizon or Sprint.  I haven't seen anything about the 5s that indicates that support for it has been added.

Sep 12 13 11:11 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee K
Posts: 2,411
Palatine, Illinois, US


Robert Lynch wrote:
The 5 definitely does not allow simultaneous voice and data on Verizon or Sprint.  I haven't seen anything about the 5s that indicates that support for it has been added.

I went from AT&T to Verizon and don't miss this much.  I'm almost always on Wi-Fi whenever I need to use the phone at the same time.  I don't know if I've had to use it once while on LTE.  Either way, it's a cool feature to have and I'd take it if I could.  Just don't know if I'd ever take advantage of it.

Sep 12 13 11:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
nwprophoto
Posts: 13,914
Kalibo, Western Visayas, Philippines


Lee K wrote:
Have you been watching ANY videos lately, or looking in any magazines?  The effects they applied has nothing to do with the fact that it was shot on an iPhone.

How unbelievable it looks might though.  It's pretty crazy that it came from a phone.  I bet it would fool a lot of people.  With the exception of someone like GK, because he obviously sees what no one else does, and that is that the video looks terrible.

Actually I spend quite a bit of time looking at Red R3D files.

Looks to me like it was shot on a phone then given to the art department
for eye wash. smile

Sep 12 13 11:39 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,649
Orlando, Florida, US


Lee K wrote:
Have you been watching ANY videos lately, or looking in any magazines?  The effects they applied has nothing to do with the fact that it was shot on an iPhone.

How unbelievable it looks might though.  It's pretty crazy that it came from a phone.  I bet it would fool a lot of people.  With the exception of someone like GK, because he obviously sees what no one else does, and that is that the video looks terrible.  Either that, or a phone being able to take video is "stupid anyway."  I may be wrong, but those are just my guesses.

Just because it was shot on an iPhone 5S doesn't mean it was shot on it because it was easier than getting a RED Scarlett or even a D4.  And obviously, the video didn't look like that when they dumped the shots into Premiere Pro or AVID or whatever suite they edited it on.  And they weren't handholding the phone for any of those shots.  It was mounted to similar rigs that a real camera would be mounted to.

So, like FStoppers showed you that with $20,000 worth of lights, makeup and photoshop, you can do a beautiful fashion/beauty photoshoot on an iPhone.  Now Burberry is showing us that with $40,000 worth of lights, an excellent DP, and many hours in the hands of a skilled editor, you can make a good video from the iPhone.



Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Sep 13 13 12:07 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
GK photo
Posts: 27,986
Laguna Beach, California, US


Lee K wrote:
The only thing one can get out of this thread is how time and time again GK continues to have nothing better to do than go out of his way to express his disapproval for a product he has an obvious completely blind hate for.

blind hatred? hardly. i look at apple products (and their acolytes) in the same manner as i do scientologists, or moonies.

Lee K wrote:
I laughed out loud at most of his posts, but some others as well.

why thank you. smile i try.

Lee K wrote:
Actually apple made high dpi screens a standard, and they're STILL doing them better than anyone else.  NOT ONE Android phone has as accurate of a screen as the iPhone 4 even.  And the 5 just improves upon that.

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/imagecache/Node_Page/images/1310419087815.jpg

Lee K wrote:
Either way, when it all comes down to it, Android users don't use their phones NEARLY as much as iPhone users and it has been proven.   I wonder why.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/00421/Tom_Cruise_421278a.jpg




Lee K wrote:
Love you, GK.

backatcha, baby. smile

Sep 13 13 01:22 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sleepy Weasel
Posts: 4,619
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


As for the iCloud, that's great when you're constantly in a wifi spot. What about when you're not and don't have an unlimited data an, or in an area with a weak signal, or camping in the mountains, or on a plane....

You underestimate the benefits of extra device storage. BTW, Android/Google has cloud storage, too. So many arguments above that are bogus. I'll take my full HD screen over your little iPhone screen anyday. And what's one of the features most iPhone users want most (besides better battery life)? Bigger screen.
Sep 13 13 06:14 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 54,145
Buena Park, California, US


nwprophoto wrote:

Actually I spend quite a bit of time looking at Red R3D files.

Looks to me like it was shot on a phone then given to the art department
for eye wash. smile

Don't you mean, iWash.


big_smile

Sep 13 13 07:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
A-M-P
Posts: 18,211
Orlando, Florida, US


Sleepy Weasel wrote:
And what's one of the features most iPhone users want most (besides better battery life)? Bigger screen.

I don't want a bigger screen at all. I have an ipad mini for that. I really don't want to be carrying around a tablet size phone. You are assuming that's what us apple users want it might be what you want but not everyone has the same needs. I'm perfectly happy with the smaller screen.

Sep 13 13 07:16 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Christopher Hartman
Posts: 54,145
Buena Park, California, US


Sleepy Weasel wrote:
As for the iCloud, that's great when you're constantly in a wifi spot. What about when you're not and don't have an unlimited data an, or in an area with a weak signal, or camping in the mountains, or on a plane....

You underestimate the benefits of extra device storage. BTW, Android/Google has cloud storage, too. So many arguments above that are bogus. I'll take my full HD screen over your little iPhone screen anyday. And what's one of the features most iPhone users want most (besides better battery life)? Bigger screen.

Cloud storage is not really storage on the iPhone...if i understand it correctly.  It's is BACKUP Space.  If my phone is full, I have to delete content.  I do not believe there is option to copy new content to the iCloud. I have to make room on my phone by deleting local content.

External memory is an advantage to those devices.

But I don't mind not having that option.  32gb has been plenty of space for me.  I probably do not take nearly as many photos and videos as others or have it loaded up with a shit ton of music.  I'd say about 50% of the stuff on my phone I haven't used in over a year.

as for screen size, can you size a study that indicates MOST iPhone users want a bigger screen?  And is that size defined?

I MIGHT want a bigger screen...but it depends.  The Galaxy note is simply TOO big for my style.  The HTC One is a decent size...I could get used to it.  But that's it.  Otherwise, the screen on my iPhone 5 is fine.  Not once I have ever used my phone and thought, "damn...too bad it's not bigger!"

I do, however, like HTC One's front speakers.  I do not like cupping my hands to redirect audio from my iPhone 5 to better hear it when outdoors.

Sep 13 13 07:19 am  Link  Quote 
Clothing Designer
GRMACK
Posts: 2,038
Bakersfield, California, US


Christopher Hartman wrote:
... The HTC One is a decent size.....

I do, however, like HTC One's front speakers.

I was just looking at the HTC One having had one of their old Tilt phones for several years.  "Optical Stabilization" is in them now!  Cripes.  Sort of makes these 2-8 pound IS/VR lenses look like dinosaurs at the rate these phones are evolving.

No mention of the pixel count, just that whatever it is that it is 300% more light gathering than others in the 13MP range.  Gee, a four pixel camera could do that too.  wink   Marketing is dodging a bullet maybe.

Wish they'd get these things screen so they are readable in bright light though.  Washed out isn't cutting it for me and impossible to use as a viewfinder in the desert.  I tried tethering once to a notebook out there and being under a thick heavy black cloth trying to see the screen after being sun-blinded for several minutes is no fun.  The coming out from under it being in the dark like a theater and trying to shoot again sort of sucks.  Desert tethering is a very slow process overall - and a big battery drain too!

I also read on the HTC One website this speed chart:
T-Mobile (US): 850/ AWS/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 42 Mbps
AT&T: 850/1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 21 Mbps
Sprint: 1900/2100 MHz with HSPA+ up to 14.4 Mbps

So Sprint really is that slow with AT&T in the middle?  They didn't post Verizon for some reason.  No wonder AT&T wanted to buy T-Mobile if they are really twice as fast.

Sep 13 13 08:13 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,523
Portland, Oregon, US


Another opinion, predicting Apple stock price:

Ahead of the Bell: Apple.

Me?  I think Apple still has the best advertising of them all, and with the holiday season coming up, I suspect Apple (and its stock price) will be just fine.
Sep 14 13 08:53 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
What Fun Productions
Posts: 20,192
Phoenix, Arizona, US


iPhone 5S fingerprint demo

Video under two minutes
http://youtu.be/GM2sZLLWHeI
Sep 14 13 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,829
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Looknsee Photography wrote:
Another opinion, predicting Apple stock price:

Ahead of the Bell: Apple.

Me?  I think Apple still has the best advertising of them all, and with the holiday season coming up, I suspect Apple (and its stock price) will be just fine.

Apple's stock price is falling!

Sep 14 13 03:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Kevin Connery
Posts: 16,875
El Segundo, California, US


GK photo wrote:
apple needs to update their dialer and keyboard. neither one has left the '07 standards. they keep trying to hook people with goofy gimmicks, rather than bring their tech into the 21st century.

Perhaps. Are those antique features costing the company money, market share, mindshare among their customers, or customers? If not, perhaps your understanding is flawed.

GK photo wrote:
ios is old, tired and in need of assistive living. someone needs to move it forward, or the novelty will die.

Perhaps. Is that antique OS costing the company money, market share, mindshare among their customers, or customers? If not, perhaps your understanding is flawed.

GK photo wrote:
the problem is, most iFolks don't see how tired the os is. they just want a new, shiny apple.

I'm sorry you find that people who don't think like you are a problem. The company is obviously doing well enough, whether it's because their customers are sheeple, wise investors, or anything else.

GK photo wrote:
i don't know how or why people buy these things.

Clearly. Yet they do. Quite consistently so far, in fact.

Repeating that you cannot understand doesn't change reality in the slightest; Apple's going to go ahead and make products, and some people will buy them and others won't. Some people will continue to feel obligated to mock the company, the product, or the people buying the product for various reasons with various levels of validity.

This happens every time Apple releases a product, and every time their stock price changes up or down: people trot out "reasons" why it's great and others will trot out "reasons" why it sucks. Most of them won't actually be reasons at all, but some of them might sound good.

Reality doesn't care.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Apple's stock price is falling!

Hearkens back to the 1990's, when the press somehow thought the name of the company was "Beleaguered Apple", as it never used Apple without that adjective. And/or dead or dying.)

Sep 14 13 05:06 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Instinct Images
Posts: 22,617
San Diego, California, US


My impression is there is a serious lack of buzz over the new iPhone. It used to be a BIG deal when Apple announced a new iPhone but now there is so little improvement that to most people it isn't a big deal.
Sep 14 13 05:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Wye
Posts: 9,838
Toronto, Ontario, Canada


Instinct Images wrote:
My impression is there is a serious lack of buzz over the new iPhone. It used to be a BIG deal when Apple announced a new iPhone but now there is so little improvement that to most people it isn't a big deal.

you're just parroting what everyone said upon the release of the 4S. A device that had far fewer improvements upon its predecessor than the 5S does over the 5, incidentally. Guess how well the 4S sold?

Sep 14 13 07:58 pm  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,526
Baltimore, Maryland, US


Wye wrote:
Guess how well the 4S sold?

Umm, 8,000?

Im on the fence with the 5s. Im due an upgrade (4s), but I like to skip new phones the change the core apps experience. I skipped the 5 because the larger screen size wasnt fully supported at first, and I can see 64-bit causing problems too. Might just hold out for the 6. Hmmm.

Sep 15 13 06:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,523
Portland, Oregon, US


Looknsee Photography wrote:
Another opinion, predicting Apple stock price:

Ahead of the Bell: Apple.

Me?  I think Apple still has the best advertising of them all, and with the holiday season coming up, I suspect Apple (and its stock price) will be just fine.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Apple's stock price is falling!

I thought a "price target" meant something longer term, like a year out.  In any case, I figure that the "price target" is something well past the upcoming holiday season.

The article points to concerns in the supply chain, which I always figure are temporary & solvable problems. 

It's not in my nature to fret about the daily dips & peaks in a stock price -- I need to see a sustained trend.  But that's me.  I shake my head at the stressed out people who base their investment activities on day-to-day stock prices.  But that's just me.

Then again, there's craziness on the other side, like a post from WFP last December that claimed that AAPL stock price will be $1110 a share by the end of this year.  She refused to bet on that.

Sep 15 13 08:40 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Looknsee Photography
Posts: 21,523
Portland, Oregon, US


Wye wrote:
Guess how well the 4S sold?

Robb Mann wrote:
Umm, 8,000?

I keep saying that Apple's business has shifted focus.  A decade ago, it was selling smart phones to folks who have never had a smart phone.  Today, they are selling smart phones to people who already have a smart phone.  Today is less risky than a decade ago, but they cannot sustain growth:
...  Their competition has caught up or has surpassed them (depending on whom
     you ask),
...  They are clearly investing less & less in R&D or in producing significant new
     features,
...  They are risk adverse,
...  etc.

For many pundits, Apple can do no wrong.  For others, this set of announcements were a big ho-hum.  In any case, Apple is the first answer when it comes to smart phones & tablets.

I can't but help to think a little about all the Windows 8 haters out there -- at least Microsoft is taking chances & changing (and hopefully improving) their user interface -- today's Apple interfaces are little changed from 10+ years ago.

Sep 15 13 08:49 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sleepy Weasel
Posts: 4,619
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


I don't think anyone is arguing that the 5S isn't an incremental improvement over the 5. Every new phone is an incremental improvement.

I think the argument is whether or not Apple is pushing anything innovative anymore with each new release. I don't mean innovative for THEIR phones--but in the cell phone industry.

They are reminding me of Blackberry a lot....had a unique, innovative product that dominated the cell phone industry. Then they got stagnant as other companies (Apple) introduced something revolutionary. The market started to sway and they did nothing but churn out the same stuff. When they finally did try to catch up, it was a mess (their touch screen phone was terrible) on no one cared.

Google picked up the challenge and made products that added things that Apple wasn't doing and came up with new, innovative things. While some in here are vocal about the negatives of having an open source OS like Android, it's that open source freedom that has allowed developers and manufactures to add things to phones that many people want (widgets, SD cards, HDMI out, bigger HD screens, stylus, physical keyboards, different cost variants, etc.) and even test some new phone technologies/features (like fingerprint scanning, air gesture, NFC, dual cameras for photos, 3D screens, HD screens, front-facing speakers, etc.).

Not everything is a hit, but consumers have choice. And despite all of the choice consumers have with Android phones, the fact that Samsung has done so well with it's line of Galaxy and Note phones, to me, is pretty remarkable and says they've identified what most Android consumers seem to want in a phone--but there is still choice.

Apple has had 1 choice in new phones (now 2--sort of). I think Apple fans and technology fans jumped at the early iPhone because it filled a want that didn't exist yet with Blackberry. Some people just like Apple and will buy regardless when their next upgrade comes up. But the lack of bringing anything new to the market has definitely subsided for them.

Android won't be on top forever - just like Blackberry and iOS isn't/wasn't. But not being motivated to come up with innovation by the competition or giving your customers what they want is a recipe for failure. I want to see Android and iOS keep pushing the technological boundaries they they were doing years ago, when Android was still struggling to catch up. Now it's Apple playing catch-up in the feature department. Some people care, some people don't, and some deny they're behind at all. If you're happy with the phone you have, then great.

But one day you might look down and realize you're still holding a Blackberry when the rest of the world has an iPhone. If you can't fill the need, someone else will, and if/when you finally figure it out, no one will care.
Sep 15 13 08:50 am  Link  Quote 
guide forum
Photographer
Robb Mann
Posts: 10,526
Baltimore, Maryland, US


How is Android 'better' than iOs? I'll take a secure, stable and reliable phone every time over something that might be sexier, spec-wise, on paper. I know many people who switched from Android to iOs, but far fewer who went the other way.
Sep 15 13 09:37 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee K
Posts: 2,411
Palatine, Illinois, US


Robb Mann wrote:
I know many people who switched from Android to iOs, but far fewer who went the other way.

I know a ton that got suckered into a Galaxy S3 or an S4 due to the bigger screen, and didn't do anything but complain, even after 6+ months of use.    Almost all of them are back to an iPhone now, and those that aren't can't wait until their contract is up so they can do so.

Android, as of now, is still just the modern day Windows Mobile.

Sep 15 13 10:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,649
Orlando, Florida, US


Looknsee Photography wrote:

Wye wrote:
Guess how well the 4S sold?

I keep saying that Apple's business has shifted focus.  A decade ago, it was selling smart phones to folks who have never had a smart phone.  Today, they are selling smart phones to people who already have a smart phone.  Today is less risky than a decade ago, but they cannot sustain growth:
...  Their competition has caught up or has surpassed them (depending on whom
     you ask),
...  They are clearly investing less & less in R&D or in producing significant new
     features,
...  They are risk adverse,
...  etc.

For many pundits, Apple can do no wrong.  For others, this set of announcements were a big ho-hum.  In any case, Apple is the first answer when it comes to smart phones & tablets.

I can't but help to think a little about all the Windows 8 haters out there -- at least Microsoft is taking chances & changing (and hopefully improving) their user interface -- today's Apple interfaces are little changed from 10+ years ago.

Apple wasn't selling smart phones a decade ago.  The original iPhone was released in July of 2007.  That's 6 years ago.  And look how the phone market has changed in those six short years.

And in 3 days, 100 million devices will upgrade to iOS7, a completely redesigned and new look to their OS.  The first since iOS was first included in the original iPhone.  Six years ago.

That's a risk to 100 million users who are accustomed to the way things are and work.

Look... Apple is doing just fine.  I use Apple products because I like them.  I use them because they are familiar and they do things that I want them to do.  YES, there are individual phones out there with individual specs and abilities that outshine the iPhone.  But then there are things about the iPhone that do things better than those phones you put up against it.

It's unrealistic to think that there will be one device released that will blow away every other product in it's class.  People want different things.

I wish the iPhone had a slightly larger screen.  I'm glad it doesn't have a 5" screen.
I wish the iPhone would include a microSD slot.  I'm glad it's designed without 4 holes in it for connectivity to everything.

I DO care about how it looks, and how it feels in my hand.

The 4S had a faster processor and SIRI.  That's it.  But it was a hell of a lot better than the 3Gs that it replaced.

The 5S is largely to replace the 4S.  Since everyone on 2-year plans are eligible for upgrades on the off years.

The iPhone6 will probably be a new design with new abilities.  As it is, I would like a new phone to replace my 4S that I'll be selling for less than a 50% depreciation.  Are there ANY 2 year old Android phones that sell for more than 1/2 what they were purchased for?

The 5S looks nice.

Sep 15 13 11:24 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,649
Orlando, Florida, US


Sleepy Weasel,

I think the one thing that Apple has done that will shift for mobile devices is the fingerprint thing.

Sure, other laptops and phones have had the reader, but how many have it now?  If it was a good idea implemented well, it would be in use on every device.

Apple, with the fingerprint reader and the new security features built into iOS7 is taking your security seriously.  I am embarassed by how many people "lose" their phones or have them stolen.  I see it every week on my Facebook feed.

And as we put more and more of our personal lives on our phones, data security is extremely important.

So iOS7 will make opening the phone impossible without authorization.  Remote wiping is built in.  And now with the fingerprint reader, people like me, who were too lazy to put in a code every time I picked up my phone, will use the security feature since it's nearly invisible and fast.

I fully expect half of all new phones sold this time next year to have some sort of biometric security built into them.  Simply because Apple has taken a good idea that someone else came up with and implemented it in a way that is easy for the user. 

So crap on Apple for incremental advances and not innovating like you said they never did when you now say they used to.  What I mean is, even when the original iPhone was announced, there were people saying that they didn't innovate anything, that touch screen phones have been available before.  That no one wants a phone without a physical keyboard.  That without haptic feedback, it's useless.  That you can't even cut and paste, the simplest of computer functions.  And a hundred other complaints.  So whatever.

Buy what you want.  I do.
Sep 15 13 11:33 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sleepy Weasel
Posts: 4,619
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


Robb Mann wrote:
How is Android 'better' than iOs? I'll take a secure, stable and reliable phone every time over something that might be sexier, spec-wise, on paper. I know many people who switched from Android to iOs, but far fewer who went the other way.

For my personal needs, it is. I could list a lot of reasons my phone is better than yours, but it's how I use it. I never made any kind of factual statement to it, so why are trying to make it sound like I did? I you think I did, please quote me where I said it.

Sep 15 13 11:59 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sleepy Weasel
Posts: 4,619
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


Lee K wrote:

I know a ton that got suckered into a Galaxy S3 or an S4 due to the bigger screen, and didn't do anything but complain, even after 6+ months of use.    Almost all of them are back to an iPhone now, and those that aren't can't wait until their contract is up so they can do so.

Android, as of now, is still just the modern day Windows Mobile.

Sep 15 13 12:05 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Sleepy Weasel
Posts: 4,619
Castle Rock, Colorado, US


Good Egg Productions wrote:
I'm glad it's designed without 4 holes in it for connectivity to everything.

4 holes? USB and headphones....some have an HDMI port. What phones have 4 holes? Most of the new ones for the past 2-3 years have the SD card slot inside.

Good Egg Productions wrote:
Are there ANY 2 year old Android phones that sell for more than 1/2 what they were purchased for?

Every phone I've ever had and sold I always sold for at least $200--enough to get a new free upgrade.

Good Egg Productions wrote:
I think the one thing that Apple has done that will shift for mobile devices is the fingerprint thing.

I disagree, but we'll have to wait and see how it goes. I don't have any issues with my phone with the password/pattern unlock. As many articles published have already pointed out, biometrics are not as secure as a password and can be bypassed.

I think it's a little gimmicky and unnecessary - like the Galaxy's face unlock feature that I never used. It seems like it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and doesn't enhance the user experience whatsoever. I can purchase things just fine through the Play store without my fingerprint. It's not that hard to type in my password, which is way more secure.

Sep 15 13 12:13 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Good Egg Productions
Posts: 15,649
Orlando, Florida, US


Sleepy Weasel wrote:

And so many of my iPhone friends are jealous of what I can do with my phone, and I listen to them bitch about their iPhones all the time, too. Most tech people I know (in the IT industry) use Android because they also feel it's a better platform. We can play this game all day long.

But one of the reasons I can't stand Apple, aside from the company's general smugness and holier-than-thou attitude, is their userbase. If you like your limited iPhones, then great. If they work for you, then great. You can slam Android all day long, but at the end of the day, it's the Android manufacturers and developers that are expanding the limits of what smartphones can do, not Apple anymore.

I agree with you on the expanding the limits part. 

But I can't really think of something a phone COULD do that it's not already doing in some capacity.  Then, there in lies the concept of innovation.  The S4 did some cool things with the ability to take photos in new ways.  Now, the iPhone5S also has some neat new things that it can do with imaging.  But they're just gimmicks.

The S4 and some other Android phones does the "bump" thing to share files.  The 5S (the 5 will also do this) with iOS7 can share files easily without bumping.  The easy sharing of files is nice, since sharing pictures and stuff is something a lot of people do.

All phones have navigation.  SIRI is useful, but not as useful as it could be.  Android has a similar speech helper with debatable usability.

So what's left to put into these phones that will make them better?  How about acting as a terminal to your computer at home, with all the functionality?  Apple would likely do it first, but only for Apple computers.  Android would eventually make it work for any computer.

While Android has a wide fan base and lots and LOTS of people developing for it, Apple has a disciplined team under a watchful eye of the mothership.  So the products that Apple puts out are polished and work.  Android might put out more and innovative concepts, the implementation of those ideas can often fall flat and no one will use them, let alone know that they exist.

Yes, if you're a programmer and you know enough, having the latest, fastest, best Android phone is what you want.  Because you can literally make it exactly what you want and bow to your every whim... as long as you write your own stuff, or have access to the right networks who do.  And you'd HATE Apple, because Apple only allows you to use their products like THEY think you should use them.

The fun part is that for the majority of people, this is perfectly fine.  And they're content with only having access to the new technologies and innovative ideas that Apple releases.  On the schedule that Apple sees fit.

I'm in that camp.  Everything in my house works.  I like that.

Sep 15 13 12:23 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,829
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Robb Mann wrote:
How is Android 'better' than iOs? I'll take a secure, stable and reliable phone every time over something that might be sexier, spec-wise, on paper. I know many people who switched from Android to iOs, but far fewer who went the other way.

My Android phone is secure, stable and reliable!  I just receive another software upgrade a few days ago.  Your statement is typical talk from Apple fans about competitive products.

Sep 15 13 12:26 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,829
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Lee K wrote:

I know a ton that got suckered into a Galaxy S3 or an S4 due to the bigger screen, and didn't do anything but complain, even after 6+ months of use.    Almost all of them are back to an iPhone now, and those that aren't can't wait until their contract is up so they can do so.

Android, as of now, is still just the modern day Windows Mobile.

Sep 15 13 12:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Robert Lynch
Posts: 2,484
Bowie, Maryland, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:
My Android phone is secure, stable and reliable!  I just receive another software upgrade a few days ago.  Your statement is typical talk from Apple fans about competitive products.

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have no complaints about my S3.  You are speaking typical Apple fan talk!

And your statements are typical of  fans who think that anyone else having a different quality of experience are to be dismissed.

Almost no Android phone is secure, yours might be one of the rare exceptions.  My Android phone is neither stable nor reliable and neither are the phones of many of the people that I know.  In my case, I mostly blame the last update that Verizon forced on me without the option to decline, coupled with a few specific mediocre quality apps by developers of questionable competence forced to create apps for a hopelessly fragmented environment.

Sep 15 13 01:12 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,829
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Robert Lynch wrote:

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
My Android phone is secure, stable and reliable!  I just receive another software upgrade a few days ago.  Your statement is typical talk from Apple fans about competitive products.

And your statements are typical of  fans who think that anyone else having a different quality of experience are to be dismissed.

Almost no Android phone is secure, yours might be one of the rare exceptions.  My Android phone is neither stable nor reliable and neither are the phones of many of the people that I know.  In my case, I mostly blame the last update that Verizon forced on me without the option to decline, coupled with a few specific mediocre quality apps by developers of questionable competence forced to create apps for a hopelessly fragmented environment.

I have never had to download the update.  I have dowloaded all updates offered.  You talk the usual Apple speak.

Sep 15 13 01:27 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jason Haven
Posts: 38,316
Washington, District of Columbia, US


GK photo wrote:

if anyone wants a mint 4s, the prices are dropping like flies on cl today. smile the cult is squirming.

So it's a "cult" when people upgrade their two year old Apple devices, yet when people buy a new Android phone every 6 months (most of my friends), because the newest thing is out, it's an informed decision?

Sep 15 13 02:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Lee K
Posts: 2,411
Palatine, Illinois, US


Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I have no complaints about my S3.  You are speaking typical Apple fan talk!

Did you read ANYTHING else I wrote?

Sep 15 13 02:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Jerry Nemeth
Posts: 27,829
Dearborn, Michigan, US


Lee K wrote:

Did you read ANYTHING else I wrote?

Yes!  Unfortunately I read the same type of posts all the time from Apple folk.

Sep 15 13 02:35 pm  Link  Quote 
first1234567last   Search   Reply