login info join!
Forums > Photography Talk > Creative Live Search   Reply
Photographer
Chris F
Posts: 41
Cooper City, Florida, US


My friend told me about free online course with Creative Live. Was wondering if anyone else ever used this free service and what was your experience?
Sep 13 13 01:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,549
Salem, Oregon, US


is this just an attempt to plug creativelive? regardless, i think it's a good service for photographers to know about.

creativelive has really expanded their operations and thus the quality of the presenters varies somewhat. but i've definitely watched some great courses. and it's hard to complain about the price if you watch it live (or on same-day repeat). definitely an excellent resource. if someone is really into intense, fast-paced learning then some of the course may seem a bit leisurely (but sometimes they are leading students through exercises). and some of the presenters are in over their heads technically. it really depends on the presenter.
Sep 13 13 01:14 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris F
Posts: 41
Cooper City, Florida, US


They have some courses that would be interesting to see and possibly learn. Just wasn't sure if it was really worth it. Thank you though for your response. I will take a chance and check out some live courses. Nothing to loose on my end.
Sep 13 13 01:18 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,549
Salem, Oregon, US


i've watched some really good courses. lindsey adler was great. so was roberto valenzuela. sue bryce is on all the time. sometimes it gets downright emotional. definitely worth checking out. they will try to sell you stuff but not as obnoxious as PBS.

Chris F wrote:
They have some courses that would be interesting to see and possibly learn. Just wasn't sure if it was really worth it. Thank you though for your response. I will take a chance and check out some live courses. Nothing to loose on my end.

Sep 13 13 01:21 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris F
Posts: 41
Cooper City, Florida, US


ontherocks wrote:
i've watched some really good courses. lindsey adler was great. so was roberto valenzuela. sue bryce is on all the time. sometimes it gets downright emotional. definitely worth checking out. they will try to sell you stuff but not as obnoxious as PBS.

Thanks for the heads up. Bob Ross was pretty cool to watch back in the day.

Sep 13 13 01:25 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
ontherocks
Posts: 22,549
Salem, Oregon, US


this bob ross remix always makes me smile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA

Chris F wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Bob Ross was pretty cool to watch back in the day.

Sep 13 13 01:46 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris F
Posts: 41
Cooper City, Florida, US


ontherocks wrote:
this bob ross remix always makes me smile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA


Never seen that before pretty coo.l Have to say he was one talented mofo

Sep 13 13 02:17 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
John Mathys
Posts: 138
Lee, Massachusetts, US


I love CreativeLive. No interesting classes the last few days, but I normally tune in when I can. Definitely worth the price tag of free, especially when they get a natural speaker doing a class.
Sep 13 13 09:24 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris F
Posts: 41
Cooper City, Florida, US


John Mathys wrote:
I love CreativeLive. No interesting classes the last few days, but I normally tune in when I can. Definitely worth the price tag of free, especially when they get a natural speaker doing a class.

Check out the calander they have some pretty cool stuff coming up.

Sep 13 13 09:37 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Tejas Photography
Posts: 436
Houston, Texas, US


I've purchased two classes so far, on the business end.  Never 3 days to just sit around
Sep 14 13 11:57 am  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Mike Collins
Posts: 1,874
Orlando, Florida, US


They're "free" the day the event is live.  After that, you have to purchase the recorded event.  And that cost will vary from event to event.  Nothing wrong with that.  That's how the generate income. 

I've watched a few.  Nothing mind blowing.  But I can see where newbies could learn a lot.  I do pick up a good tip here and there.  Never paid for any of the events though.  If I can catch a day or two of one "live" great.  If not, oh well.
Sep 14 13 12:07 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Chris F
Posts: 41
Cooper City, Florida, US


Mike Collins wrote:
They're "free" the day the event is live.  After that, you have to purchase the recorded event.  And that cost will vary from event to event.  Nothing wrong with that.  That's how the generate income. 

I've watched a few.  Nothing mind blowing.  But I can see where newbies could learn a lot.  I do pick up a good tip here and there.  Never paid for any of the events though.  If I can catch a day or two of one "live" great.  If not, oh well.

thats the way im looking at hope to learn a few things.  Not looking to buy anything.

Sep 14 13 12:19 pm  Link  Quote 
Photographer
Silke Photography
Posts: 66
Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany


Mike Collins wrote:
If I can catch a day or two of one "live" great.  If not, oh well.

same here.

I didn't watch many courses yet. I get their emails so if there seems to be an actually interesting and advanced class (a lot are for beginners) I try to catch it.
And when I did, I've always learned a new trick or two that I'm really happy about smile

I still don't feel the need to purchase simply because those tricks are usually just one 10-min part of an hours-long rant, that's not worth the money (I rather spend that on equipment)

Sep 14 13 01:06 pm  Link  Quote 
  Search   Reply